ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th March 2020, 08:59 AM   #41
TX50
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
It takes practice. I doubt anyone was able to do it on their first try.

I remember learning to do it as a kid.
Leonard Nimoy ("Mr. Spock") said he originally got it from a benediction sign that he saw a Jewish orthodox priest make during a ceremony.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 11:44 AM   #42
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
In actual elbow bumps, you get much closer to the person's face than a handshake.
And? Touching elbows is a lot safer than shaking hands. If you're doing either, you're quite likely to be standing talking to the other person for a while anyway.

I also wouldn't say it was a lot closer than shaking hands, unless you always do that at arms' length.

Also, another sighting of elbow bumping this lunchtime at the local outdoor market (charter granted 800 years ago).
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 05:11 PM   #43
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The Live Long and Prosper greeting -- only 12.7% of humans can do this without using the other hand to set it up.
I can do it easily with my left hand, but the pinky on my right hand keeps sproinging out. And I'm right-handed.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 05:53 PM   #44
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
I can do it easily with my left hand, but the pinky on my right hand keeps sproinging out. And I'm right-handed.
Hmm. Also right-handed, and can do it easily with that one. It's the left pinky that keeps sproinging out. I don't think I ever tried it with the left before.
Old 21st March 2020, 06:23 PM   #45
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
I've always thought handshakes were ridiculous anyway. Maybe the one good thing to come from this virus will be the elimination of this archaic concept.

I read of a study that after shaking hands people almost always smell their hand later, subconsciously.

I made care to never do that from then on, especially seeing these jerks who think a quick soapless rinse de-smegmas their wiener grippers.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2020, 07:25 PM   #46
grunion
Philosopher

I do like the ďWuhan ShakeĒ but a modicum of balance is required so could lead to injury among some.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/02/wuhan-...irus-outbreak/
ďOf all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.Ē
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2020, 04:56 AM   #47
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Hopefully one positive that will come out of this will be a reduction in all this social touching. If handshaking can be relegated to history and we now no longer approach near to another person unless we have to it will be a positive from this terrible experience.
Old 22nd March 2020, 04:58 AM   #48
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
I read of a study that after shaking hands people almost always smell their hand later, subconsciously.

I made care to never do that from then on, especially seeing these jerks who think a quick soapless rinse de-smegmas their wiener grippers.

I have had it commented to me before that it can seem p rude to use a hand gel after shaking hands with someone, this is because if hand gel is available I always use it immediately after shaking someoneís hand.
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:44 AM   #49
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Darat, your last two posts suggest that your native personality is that of a germophobe. You seem to desire a society that doesn't shake hands or use other forms of social touching. It looks like those desires existed in you before this pandemic.

Do you agree?
Old 22nd March 2020, 11:08 AM   #50
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Darat, your last two posts suggest that your native personality is that of a germophobe. You seem to desire a society that doesn't shake hands or use other forms of social touching. It looks like those desires existed in you before this pandemic.

Do you agree?
Not at all. I simply don't like being touched.
Old 22nd March 2020, 11:30 AM   #51
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Not at all. I simply don't like being touched.
But what does that have to do with you using hand sanitizer after each handshake?
Old 22nd March 2020, 12:00 PM   #52
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

But what does that have to do with you using hand sanitizer after each handshake?

Oh that. I donít know where other peopleís hands have been. Itís no different to washing my hands after stroking the cat or a dog. Itís just good hygiene.
Old 22nd March 2020, 01:45 PM   #53
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Hopefully one positive that will come out of this will be a reduction in all this social touching. If handshaking can be relegated to history and we now no longer approach near to another person unless we have to it will be a positive from this terrible experience.
Here in hawaii it is goddamn disgusting. Came from a rather cool and touching idea, but in the modern world its just retarded

"I'm Hawaiian and I approve this message against cultural relativism"
-paid for by the don't blow your stink hauna breath in my face committee
Old 24th March 2020, 01:54 PM   #54
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

It looks like the start to one of those ridiculously complicated fratboy or hip-hop greetings. Plus, even though you're not touching, it brings you in closer than a handshake would.

I'm hoping someone will popularize a different method.

Here are some alternatives (seen from an American perspective):

Forearm bump -- touching the outside forearms. Using the insides makes you want to turn it into an arm wresling match.
Wrist bump -- like touching watch faces, but a little bit farther up the forearm.
Bowing -- wouldn't catch on as looking subservient. A slight bow of the head would work.
Namaste -- too foreign-looking. Also the one-handed version of that but I think it's associated with Buddhism or meditation. And nobody can make a 90-degree wrist bend by itself.
Seig Heil -- umm... no
The Shaka -- doesn't feel right unless you're in the tropics.
The Wakanda Salute -- not bad. But very strong. I'd kind of like a softer, one-arm version of that, perhaps with an open hand and a slight bow. I'd call it the "Waka".
Throat touch -- touch one hand at the center collarbone, kind of like keying a throat microphone.

A couple from Star Trek:TOS
The Mirror, Mirror salute (touch fist to opposite shoulder, then Seig Heil) -- it's that second part that makes it untenable
The Errand of Mercy greeting -- slight bow, both hands make a slight spreading motion
The Live Long and Prosper greeting -- only 12.7% of humans can do this without using the other hand to set it up.

Any other suggestions? (serious or not-so-serious)
The Roman salute. It's the most obvious but all the baggage associated with Julius Caesar will make it "distasteful" to all the people who suffered under Caesar.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 02:07 PM   #55
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Oh that. I donít know where other peopleís hands have been. Itís no different to washing my hands after stroking the cat or a dog. Itís just good hygiene.
While in Antarctica in 1276, Ralph L. Watson wrote, "It is germophobic to fear the hands of healthy people."
Old 25th March 2020, 12:52 AM   #56
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
The Roman salute. It's the most obvious but all the baggage associated with Julius Caesar will make it "distasteful" to all the people who suffered under Caesar.

Nice try.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 12:54 AM   #57
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Here in hawaii it is goddamn disgusting. Came from a rather cool and touching idea, but in the modern world its just retarded

"I'm Hawaiian and I approve this message against cultural relativism"
-paid for by the don't blow your stink hauna breath in my face committee
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

While in Antarctica in 1276, Ralph L. Watson wrote, "It is germophobic to fear the hands of healthy people."
Old 25th March 2020, 01:30 AM   #58
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

?? Plus who said I feared peopleís hands?
Old 25th March 2020, 05:03 PM   #59
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

The dog and cat inside your household?

You don't imagine you have reached some kind of stasis with them?

Or do they leave the house?
Old 25th March 2020, 07:38 PM   #60
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
The dog and cat inside your household?

You don't imagine you have reached some kind of stasis with them?

Or do they leave the house?
Even notice the cat washing itself after a petting session? Getting all that human stank off.
Old 26th March 2020, 09:41 AM   #61
wobs
Master Poster

I may rediscover my youth, and start doing long distance hand shakes. Stand at the far side of the room, and shake hands at each other, with elbows near your waist. Like you're about to shoot them.
Old 26th March 2020, 10:08 AM   #62
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

https://www.hoomanaspamaui.com/honi-...iian-greeting/

The word for foreigner, Haole, means without air, in that the person doesn't know to blow air in your face when you meet

Its gross at the best of times and downright suicidal in times like these
Old 26th March 2020, 11:11 AM   #63
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Even notice the cat washing itself after a petting session? Getting all that human stank off.
My cat sits in my lap and washes herself and me at the same time..
Old 26th March 2020, 06:12 PM   #64
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Ralph was in Antarctica in the year 1276 and he wrote about hands. What is there to be confused about?
Old 26th March 2020, 06:30 PM   #65
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
I do like the ďWuhan ShakeĒ but a modicum of balance is required so could lead to injury among some.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/02/wuhan-...irus-outbreak/
Yep, this. My daughter and I do this and laugh.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 06:48 PM   #66
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I like the Chinese/Japanese bow, but I prefer the German heel click.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 07:16 PM   #67
EHocking
Philosopher

Ralph was in Antarctica in the year 1276 and he wrote about hands. What is there to be confused about?
You sure about that date?
You didn't read about it in the Daily Mail did you?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 07:26 PM   #68
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
You sure about that date?
You didn't read about it in the Daily Mail did you?
It's odd because he was there long before anyone else and wrote about hands and germs instead of ice and penguins and polar bears. I don't think it was the Daily Mail, but it could have been. That's where most of my strong knowledge comes from. Every day. In the mail.
Old 26th March 2020, 07:35 PM   #69
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It's odd because he was there long before anyone else and wrote about hands and germs instead of ice and penguins and polar bears. I don't think it was the Daily Mail, but it could have been. That's where most of my strong knowledge comes from. Every day. In the mail.
Sure, but I doubt that he was there in 1276.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 08:00 PM   #70
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Sure, but I doubt that he was there in 1276.
I don't know Jack about Ralph, so I don't know if he was the kind of fella that would lie about dates. But think about it... why would you go all the way to Antarctica and then make up a phony year?
Old 26th March 2020, 08:26 PM   #71
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I don't know Jack about Ralph, so I don't know if he was the kind of fella that would lie about dates. But think about it... why would you go all the way to Antarctica and then make up a phony year?
1276. This is in the medieval period. No-one was in Antarctica. No-one even knew it existed. No-one landed on Antarctica until 1821.

- Randall Munroe
Old 26th March 2020, 08:38 PM   #72
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

1276. This is in the medieval period. No-one was in Antarctica. No-one even knew it existed. No-one landed on Antarctica until 1821.
Maybe Ralph was there but nobody took him seriously because the guy was writing about hands instead of the snow and ice. It's a mystery as far as I'm concerned. But I agree with him that you shouldn't be afraid of hands. Hands are not like stoats, which will tear you apart even before they know you are there.
Old 26th March 2020, 08:38 PM   #73
Athyrio
Graduate Poster

Donít believe there were even any germs there to be afraid of.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 08:40 PM   #74
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Donít believe there were even any germs there to be afraid of.
Ralph was writing about hands not the place.
Old 26th March 2020, 08:54 PM   #75
Athyrio
Graduate Poster

Ralph was writing about hands not the place.

Awww - just trying to cut potential tension with levity.

Back in the 60’s, myself and certain friends greeted each other with the Tommie Smith and John Carlos inspired clenched fist, but rather than the extended straight arm upward and facing down, we just bent the right elbow like we were flexing the bicep.

A softer version could be placing the right hand over the heart like in the USA pledge of allegiance but with a fist instead. No touching the other person.

Or we could return to the index and middle finger peace sign.

Groovy

Far out.
Athyrio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 08:56 PM   #76
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I got into the habit of using the OK sign a bunch of years ago. Since it was taken over by white supremacists I've been having trouble getting out of the habit.

- Randall Munroe
Old 26th March 2020, 09:10 PM   #77
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

taken over by white supremacists
I can assure you that that hand gesture is still alive and well in the civilized world.
Old 26th March 2020, 09:12 PM   #78
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I can assure you that that hand gesture is still alive and well in the civilized world.
That's like reminding me that the swastika is a Hindi good luck symbol. I mean thanks, that's true, but I still won't use it.

- Randall Munroe
Old 26th March 2020, 09:17 PM   #79
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

That's like reminding me that the swastika is a Hindi good luck symbol.
I disagree with that comparison.

Quote:
I mean thanks, that's true, but I still won't use it.
I don't suggest subordinating to white supremacists or giving them anything that they may want. No, they can't have the OK hand gesture. It's ours.
Old 26th March 2020, 09:20 PM   #80
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I don't suggest subordinating to white supremacists or giving them anything that they may want. No, they can't have the OK hand gesture. It's ours.
Yep cool, you do that as much as you want. I'll switch to V for Victory.

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology