ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th March 2020, 02:32 AM   #721
ZeeGerman
Graduate Poster

Also, the worst is yet to come...

Jehovah's witnesses now know that you are all at home
Old 25th March 2020, 05:22 AM   #722
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

We can just call the police to run them off, if necessary, as they'd be violating the governor's order by proselytizing.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 08:36 AM   #723
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Forgot to mention yesterday, there's not a trace of acetaminophen/paracetamol in any drugstore around here. Not only the plain pills, but every combination remedy containing it (which amounts to, typically, a twelve foot long aisle normally containing hundreds of different variations) is sold out.
Old 25th March 2020, 08:43 AM   #724
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

NPR podcast "Planet Money" talking about toilet paper hoarding. Expert made the point that there is likely going to be a low demand period after all this that is going to be tough for producers.

Nobody hoarding this toilet paper is actually using any more of it than normal. Once this thing is over, a lot of people are going to realize they have a huge supply and not be buying any more for a while. Could be a significant demand dip for a while as the hoarders work through their doomsday supply of TP.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/23/82025...-virus-economy
Old 25th March 2020, 08:46 AM   #725
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah this isn't like the food runs before a hurricane where it's going to even out in a pretty short term because it's either going to go bad or get binge ate while waiting out the storm and have to be replaced.

I regular supermarket sized pack of toilet paper already lasts me and my wife a good long while. If we had panicked and brought home a truckload of Costco economy sized pallets of the stuff we'd have to adopt children to just to have someone to pass it down to when we died.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 08:54 AM   #726
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
NPR podcast "Planet Money" talking about toilet paper hoarding. Expert made the point that there is likely going to be a low demand period after all this that is going to be tough for producers.

Nobody hoarding this toilet paper is actually using any more of it than normal. Once this thing is over, a lot of people are going to realize they have a huge supply and not be buying any more for a while. Could be a significant demand dip for a while as the hoarders work through their doomsday supply of TP.

I'm hoping a lot of people can keep their "doomsday supply" of toilet paper and other non-perishables intact (and learn to maintain it properly). "Just in time" supply has even bigger downsides for the home than for businesses. Floods, fires, illnesses, iice storms, blizzards, hurricanes all happen. Greater community resilience, especially at the periphery of disaster areas, is something we're all going to need.
Old 25th March 2020, 08:59 AM   #727
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
No differentiation between female and male use/need per visit?
Try the ADVANCED option.
Old 25th March 2020, 09:04 AM   #728
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Forgot to mention yesterday, there's not a trace of acetaminophen/paracetamol in any drugstore around here. Not only the plain pills, but every combination remedy containing it (which amounts to, typically, a twelve foot long aisle normally containing hundreds of different variations) is sold out.

I didn't check the supplies on any of my recent shopping trips, but I was able to buy a 100-count bottle (the last generic one they had at CVS) early on. Plus I brought an almost-full 100-count bottle that hasn't expired home from the office, and I have a few left in a small bottle in my computer case. So I've got enough for at least 10 days' each at maximum dose for the three of us. I expect that will be sufficient, even if we all get sick.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:06 AM   #729
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Apparently the local Costco has signs up stating which items cannot no longer be returned. It is a list of items that were hoarded, TP at the top of this list. The only food item on the list is rice.

I wonder if people trying return TP and other hoarded items are doing so out of guilt, or because they realize that they wasted money or don't have storage space.

Waiting for a news outlet to interview an anonymous hoarder. "Confessions of a TP hoarder".
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:29 AM   #730
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Local waste collection services are reporting a 30% increase in the amount of food waste being collected. They say that this is due to hoarders now disposing of their unused perishable food.

I suppose some of it could also be down to more people eating all of their meals at home.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:34 AM   #731
Cheetah
Master Poster

South Africa goes on lockdown tomorrow. My wife was out today to go buy the last few essentials. Shelves were low but not empty. She got three times the stuff I would have.
The lockdown is quite extensive.
Seems like no movement across provincial or municipal borders. Everything closed apart from essentials.
Only shops selling essentials will be open and only allowed to sell essentials.
NO BOOZE sold anywhere for 21 days!
Will that work?

Last edited by Cheetah; 25th March 2020 at 09:36 AM.
Cheetah is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:42 AM   #732
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
South Africa goes on lockdown tomorrow. My wife was out today to go buy the last few essentials. Shelves were low but not empty. She got three times the stuff I would have.
Seems like no movement across provincial or municipal borders. Everything closed apart from essentials.
Will that work?
Wholly unnecessary and asking for trouble. Afterall it worked well in the '20s USA, with no lingering aftereffects.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:47 AM   #733
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Apparently the local Costco has signs up stating which items cannot no longer be returned. It is a list of items that were hoarded, TP at the top of this list. The only food item on the list is rice.

I wonder if people trying return TP and other hoarded items are doing so out of guilt, or because they realize that they wasted money or don't have storage space.

Waiting for a news outlet to interview an anonymous hoarder. "Confessions of a TP hoarder".

Kroger has signs up stating that effective March 17, they aren't accepting returns on any items, though they will still replace any defective products or unsatisfactory perishables.
Old 25th March 2020, 09:52 AM   #734
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by welshdean View Post
Wholly unnecessary and asking for trouble. Afterall it worked well in the '20s USA, with no lingering aftereffects.

Although I agree it's unnecessary, I predict that the amount of trouble caused by three weeks of prohibition will be minimal, especially compared with the amount of trouble caused by COVID-19.
Old 25th March 2020, 10:15 AM   #735
Cheetah
Master Poster

This seems a bit crazy.
Sounds like no restaurants or takeaways, you have to cook at home.
No walking the dog or jogging.
Six months jail or a fine, or both if you don't comply.
Old 25th March 2020, 10:20 AM   #736
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

This seems a bit crazy.
Sounds like no restaurants or takeaways, you have to cook at home.
No walking the dog or jogging.
Six months jail or a fine, or both if you don't comply.
Bad enough for those of us who are rural and have nice big gardens. A real nightmare if you're a big family crammed into a tiny flat.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 11:36 AM   #737
Joe Random
Master Poster

Signs of sanity returning around here. Just did my normal shopping, going for a two week buy rather than my normal weekly. Most everything back in normal supply levels except for the usual suspects - pasta, rice, paper goods. For the aforementioned there were items available, just not nearly as many, and a lot of specific brands/types were OOS. But if you needed pasta, there was actual pasta to be had, for example. Had to stick with store brand canned tomatoes/sauce. Even the paper goods aisle had very limited selection but wasn't outright bare. Signs up limiting purchases to 1 per type of item per person.

Only thing they were flat out of was hand sanitizer. But meats, frozen stuff, fresh fruit/veg, and even sliced meats were all in good supply.

edit to add : though the line for the nearby McDonald's drive through was absurdly long. I'll guiltily admit to feeling a bit of smugness at the current 'feed me' situation. For a very long time now I've rarely eaten out, mainly because I flat out enjoy cooking. So when restaurants are closed down I don't suddenly worry about which drive-throughs are still open because my level of cooking skill is a bit beyond knowing how long to nuke different brands of frozen pizza in the microwave. When I start to get full of myself on that front I try to off-set it by remembering that if you were to give me every single thing I'd need to grow my own food I'd most likely end up with row after row of dirty dead weeds.

Last edited by Joe Random; 25th March 2020 at 11:41 AM.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 02:14 PM   #738
Elagabalus
Philosopher

It worked even more awesomely for Sweden around the same time period with absolutely no ill-effects says my Danish cousins.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 02:22 PM   #739
Elagabalus
Philosopher

If you have rubbing alcohol you can put it on a paper towel (if you have those) but store it in a ziploc baggy so it doesn't evaporate and lasts longer. Whatever you do, never put earplugs in the same bag. Use a separate plastic bag for the earplugs. Otherwise, the earplugs will swell up and become unusable. Don't ask me how I know.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 03:33 PM   #740
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Aw crappe! I was so happy to have scored TP yesterday but forgot dry cat food! Which is far more important, just ask the girls.
Well stocked on litter, however.
Old 25th March 2020, 03:38 PM   #741
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Try the ADVANCED option.
I did.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 25th March 2020 at 03:41 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 03:42 PM   #742
MoeFaux
Suspicious Mind

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post

Plenty of fruit and vegetables, although the selection wasn't ideal--blueberries but not the brand I like, bananas but all past my Banana Ripeness Acceptability Window. Which is really narrow, so much so I usually can only buy two bananas at a time.
That's tragic, monkey.
Old 25th March 2020, 03:44 PM   #743
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Aw crappe! I was so happy to have scored TP yesterday but forgot dry cat food! Which is far more important, just ask the girls.
Well stocked on litter, however.
Litter, cat food, TP. For the rest of your life you will be well-stocked, but can only choose two of these three items. Which would you choose?
Old 25th March 2020, 03:59 PM   #744
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Litter, cat food, TP. For the rest of your life you will be well-stocked, but can only choose two of these three items. Which would you choose?
Trying to make the cats use tp would be futile, so......
Old 25th March 2020, 04:52 PM   #745
Horhang
Scholar

Will that work?
Makes me happy to look at the 12 cases of home-brewed beer, and 2 cases of mead. Also have 4 cases of beer fermenting and another 2 cases of mead being bottled tomorrow, but I only get to keep one.

Looks like I have a useful skill in the post apocalypse world.
Horhang is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 04:57 PM   #746
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horhang View Post
Makes me happy to look at the 12 cases of home-brewed beer, and 2 cases of mead. Also have 4 cases of beer fermenting and another 2 cases of mead being bottled tomorrow, but I only get to keep one.

Come the revolution, you will be the first person (pissing) up against the wall.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 05:14 PM   #747
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

Originally Posted by Horhang View Post

I'm coming for you.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
welshdean is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 06:48 PM   #748
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Try the ADVANCED option.
Fruit and vegetable peels? Only fair, fiber was the root of the problem.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 07:30 PM   #749
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Trying to make the cats use tp would be futile, so......
I'm having enough trouble trying to get them to keep using the litter boxes. They seem to be ****-protesting that I'm home all the time.
Old 25th March 2020, 08:20 PM   #750
carlitos
"más divertido"

The mayor of Denver, Colorado already backed down from trying to close the liquor stores. Now it’s lines outside and social distancing.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:59 AM   #751
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It seems that assurances that there is plenty of food in the UK may have been porkies....

Quote:
Continuing pictures of empty shelves at UK supermarkets have sparked ongoing worries about food shortages.

The supermarkets are confident that they can cope, not least because there is a limit to how much people can sensibly stockpile. So they believe that shopping patterns should return to normal eventually.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52020648

The key word IMO is "eventually" - and assuming that people will sensibly stockpile is a big leap. If Mrs Don's experience is typical, shops aren't being restocked at anything like the rate they are being emptied. In this corner of South East Wales there is very little fresh, frozen or canned food in the shops and the situation is getting worse every day. In part this may be because home deliveries are taking precedence for stock so there's very little left for people who have to shop in person.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the UK is very dependent on food imports, which are very vulnerable.

Quote:
As borders across Europe have been sealed, exceptions have been made for the trade in goods. But the UK is dependent to a large degree on that continuing, and on Spanish farmers, French lorry drivers and Dutch dock workers turning up to work.
It could get very ugly in the coming weeks. It seems like the stockpilers have been the sensible ones whilst those people like me who believed the government propaganda could be in very poor shape.
Old 26th March 2020, 05:00 AM   #752
welshdean
BESTEST RUGBY TEAM
        IN THE
NORTHEN HEMISPHERE

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It seems that assurances that there is plenty of food in the UK may have been porkies....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52020648

The key word IMO is "eventually" - and assuming that people will sensibly stockpile is a big leap. If Mrs Don's experience is typical, shops aren't being restocked at anything like the rate they are being emptied. In this corner of South East Wales there is very little fresh, frozen or canned food in the shops and the situation is getting worse every day. In part this may be because home deliveries are taking precedence for stock so there's very little left for people who have to shop in person.

Also, it's worth pointing out that the UK is very dependent on food imports, which are very vulnerable.

It could get very ugly in the coming weeks. It seems like the stockpilers have been the sensible ones whilst those people like me who believed the government propaganda could be in very poor shape.
And that the population wasn't that stupid/greedy/selfish.
I fear I'm in the same group.

Last edited by welshdean; 26th March 2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old 26th March 2020, 07:02 AM   #753
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

UTTER DISASTER !!!!11!!!1!!1!!!!11!!!!11!!!!!!1!!!

Quote:
A trailer load of beer worth £150,000 from Aberdeenshire-based BrewDog was stolen as it headed to meet increased demand at an online distribution centre.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...tland-52034139

I was wondering why the order I placed on the 22nd hadn't been dispatched yet.
Old 26th March 2020, 08:52 AM   #754
Cheetah
Master Poster

Oh dear. Hope you get it.

It's difficult to find out what exactly our lockdown entails.
Basically there is a list of essential services and goods. Only businesses involved in essential services stay open. Only essential goods may be sold. No booze, no cigarettes, no takeaways. No going out except to buy goods/see a doctor etc.
Also sounds like you can't just go out if you need something, you have to get permission from your local police.

I don't believe this is going to work very well for long.
Old 26th March 2020, 08:59 AM   #755
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
UTTER DISASTER !!!!11!!!1!!1!!!!11!!!!11!!!!!!1!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...tland-52034139

I was wondering why the order I placed on the 22nd hadn't been dispatched yet.

Now that I see this, it might be a good thing that the company I work for uses generic hired shipping trucks instead of ones that say "Company that makes and ships disinfectants".
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 01:14 PM   #756
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Well, I can now survive a seige. The one thing that was making me nervous was cat food. I can scrimp on myself if it comes to that (though it shouldn't, as the Brexit stockpile was put aside when my freezer was quite empty as I was going on a long cruise and it's now pretty full, I happened to replenish it just before this all started), but I can't explain to a cat. I also wouldn't hoard cat food if friends' cats might go hungry, so I needed extra.

Pets At Home was empty when I went in. I asked about restrictions and they said only on cat litter and dog food. I'm fine for cat litter, Jori goes out most of the time so I don't go through much, so I said no, don't need any of that. The cat food shelves were full, groaning with sachets and tins, so I got three big boxes plus a bag of dry food. Didn't see any other customers in there at all. Jori better not decide he's fed up with Felix.

I then went to Sainsbury's since it was nearby. They were only letting a certain number of people inside at a time, but an orderly queue had formed under an open but roofed arcade alongside the store, all at least 2 metres apart. I didn't have to wait long. It was quite easy to stay distant from others, everyone was being polite and making way. I didn't use the PPE I had with me because it didn't seem necessary under the circumstances and I want to keep the single old respirator mask I have for a potentially dangerous situation. I did see one woman wearing a paper mask.

There were quite a lot of gaps in the shelves (wine was scorched earth apart from one clump of Sauvingon Blanc - might have been horrible plonk but it was moderate price and I think maybe it had just been put out), but there was also plenty to buy. The limit of three of any type of purchase meant I didn't get as much fruit juice, paté or cheese as I had intended but no complaints. More difficult if you're shopping for a big family or want to get food for elderly neighbours though. They didn't have the type of bread I wanted but I got one loaf, that'll do.

Once I got home I only unloaded the things that had to be frozen from the car, the rest is still in the boot and it will stay there for several days. Overkill maybe, but might as well. I scrubbed my hands, then put these things away, then scrubbed my hands again. However, given the small number of people I encountered and the the current estimate of the number of people in Scotland who are infected, the chances are that I didn't encounter the virus at all on the trip. If anyone was viraemic, I kept my distance and did all the handwashing. Should be fine.

I'm in the region with the lowest number of known positives in Scotland (23 as of today), and in a rural village where the grapevine doesn't know of anyone ill with it. Thanks to my Brexit store I now have no need at all to go into a shop for quite some time. I have a spacious and comfortable house, and a pleasant garden. I have open fields on my doorstep. I'm retired so my income is not under immediate threat, and I don't have to go to work. I'm no longer caring for a vulnerable eldery person. I might be the luckiest person on the face of the globe right now. I am very thankful for my good fortune.

I hope all of you manage to keep yourselves safe.

Last edited by Rolfe; 26th March 2020 at 01:19 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 02:49 PM   #757
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

This afternoon my brother took my mother over to my other brother's house to drop off the birthday card I mentioned up-thread. Technically they weren't supposed to do that, but they stopped on the way back for fast food, so I suppose they would have used that as their excuse for being out had they been stopped.

I was going to use the opportunity to bring in some of my emergency food stash from my car, except it was raining (that happened the last time they went out together, too ), and I didn't want to pack dry goods such as saltines, oatmeal, and instant potatoes into a tote in the rain, as I knew some moisture would get inside. Plus my mother and brother got back a lot sooner than I'd expected them.

To reiterate, I don't want either of them to know how much food I've bought, because I want to save some in case there's a supply disruption, or we're quarantined for two weeks, and I'm afraid that if they know, they'll think we don't need to buy more when the other food in the house runs low. They seem to be convinced that we'll just be able to have groceries delivered whenever we need them, but I don't believe we should be assuming that.
Additionally, I want to save the majority of the soup and crackers I've bought in case someone gets sick, because in that event, as The Don pointed out, soup is a good, easy-to-prepare meal.

I was naturally concerned that the fast food they bought might have been contaminated, so I thoroughly wiped my sandwich wrappers, french fry container, and sauce packets with a Lysol wipe, transferred all of the food to a paper plate, and then washed my hands with soap and warm water before I started eating. I'm not sure what the two of them did to protect themselves, though I did hear my brother ask my mother if she'd washed her hands, because she'd held the food bags on the way home.
Old 26th March 2020, 02:52 PM   #758
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Here in Vermont we're still getting a fair amount of food, including baked goods and whatnot. The local supermarket, though, is stripped bare of some things including pasta and spaghetti sauce. Considering the huge, prodigious amounts of pasta that are usually there, I really wonder what people are thinking. What pasta apocalypse are people expecting? Omigod, if I don't buy a hundred boxes of fusilli right away I may starve to death. The same supermarket had enough fresh potatoes to feed half of Ireland. Boatloads of cheese, yogurt, granola, fresh veggies, bread, meat. But Omigod, I won't feel safe until I have a closet full of Gnocchi and canned sauce.

When my wife was growing up her mother put olives in everything, and now she picks them out of anything. I predict that a few years from now a whole lot of kids are going to grow up hating spaghetti. Goddamit, I remember my damn mother fed us nothing but goddam spaghetti for a ***** month. I'll never touch the stuff again. Gimme a damn potato!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 03:46 PM   #759
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

I forgot to mention that another reason I don't want my brother to know how much food I've bought is that I don't want to have to listen to him run his mouth about how I shouldn't have done that, because there's nothing to worry about. I hope we don't end up needing it, but if we do, I have a feeling I'll have trouble resisting the urge to say "I told you so."
Old 26th March 2020, 03:52 PM   #760
SpitfireIX
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Here in Vermont we're still getting a fair amount of food, including baked goods and whatnot. The local supermarket, though, is stripped bare of some things including pasta and spaghetti sauce. Considering the huge, prodigious amounts of pasta that are usually there, I really wonder what people are thinking. What pasta apocalypse are people expecting? Omigod, if I don't buy a hundred boxes of fusilli right away I may starve to death. The same supermarket had enough fresh potatoes to feed half of Ireland. Boatloads of cheese, yogurt, granola, fresh veggies, bread, meat. But Omigod, I won't feel safe until I have a closet full of Gnocchi and canned sauce.

When my wife was growing up her mother put olives in everything, and now she picks them out of anything. I predict that a few years from now a whole lot of kids are going to grow up hating spaghetti. Goddamit, I remember my damn mother fed us nothing but goddam spaghetti for a ***** month. I'll never touch the stuff again. Gimme a damn potato!

There's no pasta to be had around here (except for, as I mentioned, a few overpriced boxes I spotted at a convenience store). But I've also seen very few potatoes in the produce sections of the stores I've visited recently. There were no bulk bags; I only saw a few loose ones that had been pretty well picked over, which I decided to pass on. So at least in Fort Wayne, people are taking your advice.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events