ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th March 2020, 09:52 PM   #1
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Are gods like "invisible dragons in the garage"?

Every time I dare to post in this section, others immediately try to change the topic of the particular thread to "invisible dragons in the garage" regardless of the actual topic nor what I have posted.

I thought that I would create this thread so all of those arguments can be dealt with once and for all.

I would rather that the comparison be with "undetectable entities in the garage" but I understand that everybody wants to sillify the discussion.
Old 11th March 2020, 10:21 PM   #2
Venom
Illuminator

It just sounds like they're trying to make a mockery of the whole subject.

Sort of like the "I identify as an attack helicopter" shots thrown at transgender advocates.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 10:49 PM   #3
ynot
Philosopher

Yes!

ETA - Dragons are as much "undetectable entities" as gods (why do you hate dragons?).

Last edited by ynot; 11th March 2020 at 11:33 PM.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 11:29 PM   #4
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ynot View Post

Yes!
Indeed

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Every time I dare to post in this section, others immediately try to change the topic of the particular thread to "invisible dragons in the garage" regardless of the actual topic nor what I have posted.

I thought that I would create this thread so all of those arguments can be dealt with once and for all.

I would rather that the comparison be with "undetectable entities in the garage" but I understand that everybody wants to sillify the discussion.
I see what you are doing here as a blatant attempt at a general poisoning of the well. You don't like or want people making the "invisible dragons" argument because its undermines your points.

The fact is that "invisible dragons" IS a valid corollary for any argument against accepting claims without evidence, and the existence of god, or for that matter, any gods, IS a claim without any supporting evidence.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 11:45 PM   #5
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You don't like or want people making the "invisible dragons" argument because its undermines your points.
No, it's because it is invariably a deliberate thread derail which is a clear rule 11 violation.

That is why I have created this thread so give it your best shot. (BTW "you are an idiot" is not your best shot).
Old 12th March 2020, 12:20 AM   #6
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

There are two problems (probably more) that I have with this analogy:
  1. "in the garage"
    This implies that the discussion is only about whether there are gods on Earth. This does not allow for the possibility that there may be gods elsewhere in the universe that choose not to have any interaction with this planet (despite what the believers might say). Then we would never know if they existed or not.
  2. "dragons"
    If the discussion was about a specific entity (eg Buddha) then "dragon" might be fair enough. But is you are only discussing gods in general, then it would be more apt to compare that with invisible entities in the garage.
Old 12th March 2020, 12:35 AM   #7
sphenisc
Philosopher

No, they have different definitions.
Old 12th March 2020, 12:52 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
No, they have different definitions.
That's not usually the case, one is actually defined, one isn't. Without a stated definition for the word "god" any discussion or "arguments" are meaningless.
Old 12th March 2020, 01:06 AM   #9
xjx388
Philosopher

I don’t think you are grokking the analogy.

The way I think of it: If I say there’s a dragon in my garage, you might want proof. I will keep on adding properties to the dragon that make it undetectable to your tests for its existence. At what point do you conclude there is no dragon in my garage?

And so it goes for gods.

It’s really simple and I don’t see a good way around it.
Old 12th March 2020, 01:12 AM   #10
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Actually, I'd say it gets even better than some people realize, because in China the Dragon King is worshipped as an actual god. If you ever wondered what's with the Chinese dragon processions in China, yeah, that's about that one specific god.

So essentially even if one wants to wiggle their way out of the analogy by some kind of "we were talking about gods, not dragons", well, I just proposed a dragon god. Now where is the evidence for the bearded guy in the sky, if you need evidence for my water dragon god.
Old 12th March 2020, 01:13 AM   #11
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

The way I think of it: If I say there’s a dragon in my garage, you might want proof. I will keep on adding properties to the dragon that make it undetectable to your tests for its existence. At what point do you conclude there is no dragon in my garage?

And so it goes for gods.

What if you say there is a dragon outside your garage?
What if you say there is some undefined invisible entity in your garage?
Old 12th March 2020, 01:15 AM   #12
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Now where is the evidence for the bearded guy in the sky, if you need evidence for my water dragon god.
They should be both subjected to the same scientific standard if we are looking for proof.

At least we got out of the garage.
Old 12th March 2020, 01:26 AM   #13
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
That's not usually the case, one is actually defined, one isn't. Without a stated definition for the word "god" any discussion or "arguments" are meaningless.
They both have definitions, as can be found in pretty well any dictionary.
Old 12th March 2020, 01:30 AM   #14
sphenisc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post

And so it goes for gods.

At two possible points. Either where there is no dragon in your garage by definition, or where the additional property means that the concept described no longer meets the definition of 'dragon'.
Old 12th March 2020, 01:31 AM   #15
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

I don't see how or why the garage is a problem, really.

Most arguments for God typically go in this order:
1. reversing the burden of proof (well, how do you show there ISN'T a god?), and invariably
2. faith in faith (yeah, but look how much happier and better person I am after I found god)

At least with the first one, limiting it to a garage instead of the whole universe and even outside the universe, is just showing how unreasonable that kind of reversal of the burden of proof is anyway. Even if I meet you half-way, so to speak, and limit the space where you need to look for the undetectable dragon to 10 cubic metres or so, it's still not a reasonable request.

THAT is the point of the garage. (Well, it would be to store the car, but now it won't fit in because of the bloody dragon)

And it works in a pinch for the second argument too. You found Jesus? Well, I found a dragon. In fact, I'll even tell you where I found it. It was in the garage all the time

Now how do you know my dragon isn't making people even better?

Last edited by HansMustermann; 12th March 2020 at 01:33 AM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 01:44 AM   #16
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
At least with the first one, limiting it to a garage instead of the whole universe and even outside the universe, is just showing how unreasonable that kind of reversal of the burden of proof is anyway.
How is limiting God to a specific region demonstrating that?

If somebody claims to have discovered God in a different galaxy are you going to say that it doesn't count because it's not on Earth?
Old 12th March 2020, 01:52 AM   #17
Deadie
Scholar

What if you say there is some undefined invisible entity in your garage?
The garage itself, or whether something is inside it or outside of it is completely irrelevant. This thing being a dragon or something else, invisible or otherwise is also irrelevant.

Carl Sagan's point when he wrote about it, was as a thought experiment concerning the burden of proof and where it ought to lie and how unfalsifiable propositions can easily dodge attempts at scrutiny. Invisible dragon in his garage is literally an entire chapter in Demon haunted world.

edit: wrong book title..

Last edited by Deadie; 12th March 2020 at 01:59 AM.
Deadie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 02:09 AM   #18
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Deadie View Post
The garage itself, or whether something is inside it or outside of it is completely irrelevant. This thing being a dragon or something else, invisible or otherwise is also irrelevant.

Carl Sagan's point when he wrote about it, was as a thought experiment concerning the burden of proof and where it ought to lie and how unfalsifiable propositions can easily dodge attempts at scrutiny. Invisible dragon in his garage is literally an entire chapter in Demon haunted world.

edit: wrong book title..
Saying that apples are bad because oranges are bad isn't valid reasoning.

You need to compare like with like before you can make any reasonable inferences.
Old 12th March 2020, 02:17 AM   #19
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

would explain the scratches on the side of the car ...
Old 12th March 2020, 02:30 AM   #20
Deadie
Scholar

Saying that apples are bad because oranges are bad isn't valid reasoning.
Non-sequitar?

You don't seem to understand the thought experiment. I would recommend reading that chapter if you have the book.

"Now what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon that spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there is no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so."
-Carl Sagan
Deadie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 02:41 AM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
They both have definitions, as can be found in pretty well any dictionary.
Actually they don't in terms of being able to use the words in an argument. For example most gods people claim they believe in do not claim to have created the universe. Such gods are a small subset of gods, so if you want to use the creation of the universe to make an ontological argument as PsionIO has done in the past you need to define your god for it to have meaning. Sadly as with all such arguments that ends up as being circular logic. This is why PsionI0 fights so hard to not define what they mean by god as they know as sooner as they define it their arguments fail.
Old 12th March 2020, 02:44 AM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Hadn't thought of that. What a great excuse, no I didn't scrape the car, the dragon did it... Hang on that's the argument a lot of believers in god use as well "goddidit".
Old 12th March 2020, 02:48 AM   #23
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Non-sequitar?

You don't seem to understand the thought experiment. I would recommend reading that chapter if you have the book.

"Now what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon that spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there is no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so."
-Carl Sagan
Not a single word about garages in that quote.
Old 12th March 2020, 04:44 AM   #24
Deadie
Scholar

Not a single word about garages in that quote.
Ok, you are clearly being deliberately obtuse at this point.
Old 12th March 2020, 04:52 AM   #25
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

No, it's because it is invariably a deliberate thread derail which is a clear rule 11 violation.
Rubbish.

Any discussion about the existence or non-existence of god/gods, it always comes down to a case where the believers are making unsubstantiated, evidence-free claims.

Its is NOT a Rule 11 violation to used the "invisible dragons" argument to back the "gods/god do/does not exist" position because it is making the same exact argument.

Sagan's statement was "Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists?"

You can paraphrase this, replacing references to the dragon and what it does, with references to God what what it is claimed he does, and not only does it make sense, it shows that the invisible dragon argument IS a valid refutation of the existence of a real god.

"Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating God who invokes fire and brimstone and no God at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that God exists?"

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th March 2020 at 04:59 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 05:00 AM   #26
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Sure thing.

Gods are indeed like "invisible dragons in the garage".

But then again, since god/gods can mean whatever one wants them mean, then this definition of gods is just as valid as any other definition of gods.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 05:52 AM   #27
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh my God are you still butthurt about this?

Yes it's the same thing. The fact that you refuse to see it as the same thing is LITERALLY THE GODDAMN POINT.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:03 AM   #28
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

If a god could be anywhere or be anything, who's to say that god isn't a dragon in JoeMorgue's garage?

I'd say it could be in my garage but there's no room-we horde stuff in there. Even hang the bikes from the rafters to free up more room. A dragon wouldn't fit.
Old 12th March 2020, 06:04 AM   #29
Belz...
Fiend God

Ok, let me help.

Analogies are used in discussions in order to illustrate a point or evaluate whether the logic of an argument works. It allows us to verify whether our states principles or criteria hold across similar scenarios, and to test the strength of our arguments.

In this case, yes, invisible garage dragons, being undetectable, magical and silly all at once, are an excellent analogy to gods, who are considered not silly by their believers.

Glad to have cleared that up for you.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:11 AM   #30
Belz...
Fiend God

It still works: in this case, that means that there are no dragons in the garage.

If you want to make a case for a god defined to vaguely or so uniquely that we can no longer say there is a god to the universe we inhabit, have fun with that.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:14 AM   #31
carlitos
"más divertido"

That is why I have created this thread so give it your best shot. (BTW "you are an idiot" is not your best shot).
You are lecturing people about poisoning the well, and rule 11 violations, and you introduce a quotation "you are an idiot" that no one has said. Not your best shot, either, I guess.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:16 AM   #32
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
You are lecturing people about poisoning the well, and rule 11 violations, and you introduce a quotation "you are an idiot" that no one has said. Not your best shot, either, I guess.
To be fair I think he was just anticipating the "shot", rather than commenting about its previous use.

Old 12th March 2020, 06:20 AM   #33
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Mrs carlito and I share both a Kindle account and a garage. I may have to delete Sagan from both.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:27 AM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Okay to break it down to bare maths levels.

We are presented with two scenarios. God and an invisible, undetectable, fire breathing dragon in my garage.

Both scenarios are equally explainable, are equally immune from counter claims (both being essentially built out of nothing but special pleadings), and equal reasons to be even asking the question "Is the thing in question there?" in the first place.

That last point is key. Carl Sagan's "Dragon in my Garage" is not, shocker, an attempt to start an actual intellectual discussion about the existence of a dragon in anyone's garage.

It's get someone to explain to us why we're asking the God question in the firstplace.

So this is now we're in a callout thread where we're still asking for someone to answer that question.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:40 AM   #35
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Are you having a problem with the whole idea of a thought experiment?

The particular objects and setting of thought experiments are generally picked for a few reasons.

1) To focus on a more or less narrow question and carve away parts of real world cases that are irrelevant to that narrow question. In this case the question is epistemological, how should we treat a claim that can't be evidenced?

2) To create some distance from habits, traditions and (irrelevant) emotional investments around a subject. For this purpose it's actually sometimes advantageous for the subject to be quite different from the real world subject being addressed, so long as it retains enough similarity to satisfy focus on the narrow question.

3) To be clear and memorable. And just from human nature they tend to be more memorable if they're a little entertaining.

It does not have to be a dragon in the garage, just like it does not have to be people tied to trolley tracks or acat in a box, or a famous violinist it my grandfather's axe. These are all simply formulations made to address these particular philosophical questions that do a pretty good job if filling the criteria above.

They could all easily be replaced by new thought experiments, but the originals are well formulated, so why reinvent the wheel?
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:42 AM   #36
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Ok, you are clearly being deliberately obtuse at this point.
Well the garage seems to be an important part of the analogy to a lot of other people in this thread.

Leaving that aside, Carl Sagan's assertion that "Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless" could easily apply to the concept of alien life. It could even apply to the idea of aliens being present but having technology that is sufficiently advanced that they can avoid detection by human technology.

Is there any reason why we must focus on a silly made-up example rather than a slightly more plausible but equally untestable example?
Old 12th March 2020, 06:42 AM   #37
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I don't see how. And, apparently, neither do the people who made the rule. Besides, in another thread you tried to analogize reasoning about belief in gods to reasoning about belief in very intelligent aliens. So if you're allowed to draw analogies but your critics aren't, where does that put us in terms of allegations of rule violations?

The real theme of this thread doesn't seem to be about gods. It seems to be you complaining that your critics always argue unfairly and inappropriately. And from what I've seen so far, you seem to be baiting them into making only the type of arguments that you can portray as unfair and inappropriate. I wonder if the dictionary has a word for that activity.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:45 AM   #38
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

There are two problems (probably more) that I have with this analogy:

"in the garage"
This implies that the discussion is only about whether there are gods on Earth. This does not allow for the possibility that there may be gods elsewhere in the universe that choose not to have any interaction with this planet (despite what the believers might say). Then we would never know if they existed or not.

Okay. I accept your argument at face value. There are gods elsewhere in the universe that choose not to have any interaction with this planet such that no person could ever know if they existed or not.

I'm not sure what "god" means in that scenario. It's certainly less than the omnibenevolent entity interfering in human affairs.

However, granting your definition, so what? What would such gods have to do with us? They cannot be proven or disproven and have no effect on us. So, are you satisfied this this as a definition of god? Is this the god whose existence you want to defend? You've already said it's unknowable. Thus, its indefensible.

Just to be sociable, though, I'll take your word that such entities exist.

That was step 1. What's your step 2?

Quote:
"dragons"
If the discussion was about a specific entity (eg Buddha) then "dragon" might be fair enough. But is you are only discussing gods in general, then it would be more apt to compare that with invisible entities in the garage.

Okay, I'll take your word. I'm not sure how the label "god" differs from "dragon." They're both just nouns with an arbitrarily assigned value. However, if you would be more comfortable if I argued there's an unprovable "entity" in my garage, I am down for it.

So, that's step 1 of that. What's your step 2?

L. Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 12th March 2020 at 06:46 AM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:48 AM   #39
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

L'Advoquette de la Deville:

A being that created time and space would not logically be bound by it, or be found within it. It would be beyond both.

The garage, of course is a small area fully bound and searchable. What is the comparable search area for a being that created the entirety of the universe? Have you searched it?

The garage argument is certainly straw, ascribing local boundaries of the search to the area created by it's creator, who probably wouldn't be there. If I bake a cake, you wouldn't look for me inside the ******* cake.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie -Miyamoto Musashi
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 06:48 AM   #40
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
If a god could be anywhere or be anything, who's to say that god isn't a dragon in JoeMorgue's garage?

I'd say it could be in my garage but there's no room-we horde stuff in there. Even hang the bikes from the rafters to free up more room. A dragon wouldn't fit.
A very small dragon? Or one that stands outside our reality....

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy