ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th June 2017, 07:30 AM   #1
MinimumWageShill
Scholar

James Randi and JREF

So..Working for myself at home, slow day so internet browsing. Ended up on the JREF site for the first time in years and it appears to have come to a complete standstill around 2015.

I looked on this site and there doesn't appear to be anything concerning JREF after the same time.

I think it would be a shame if it had died off and so am asking - does anyone have up to date knowledge.
MinimumWageShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 08:37 AM   #2
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://web.randi.org/home/jref-status

That's all you get. :-)

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 09:01 AM   #3
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
James who?
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 02:27 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Gee, maybe taking down this forum was not such a great idea.......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 06:36 PM   #5
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, James Randi dropped this forum like we were his 24 year old mistress with a positive pregnancy test.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 07:15 PM   #6
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah - how dare an 88-year old guy with cancer downscale his activities? Doesn't he know he has fans who demand his attention? What a selfish 88-year old guy with cancer he is.
Old 16th June 2017, 09:06 PM   #7
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Yeah - how dare an 88-year old guy with cancer downscale his activities? Doesn't he know he has fans who demand his attention? What a selfish 88-year old guy with cancer he is.
James Randi is not the same thing as JREF. One is a retired person and the other is an organisation.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 10:06 PM   #8
Faydra
sinning sybarite

Let the man retire in peace.
Faydra is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 10:18 PM   #9
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Randi owes us nothing. JREF, the status of which is unclear as far as I can tell, owes us nothing.

I appreciate the years they hosted the forum. I appreciate icerat taking up the forum when JREF/Randi felt they couldn't continue. When someone provides me with something for free I try to not be too critical of them.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2017, 10:45 PM   #10
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
James Randi is not the same thing as JREF. One is a retired person and the other is an organisation.
I think there's sufficient evidence that James Randi pretty much WAS the JREF. There's essentially no JREF without him, as we can see. The idea that someone could take on the mantle and maintain the foundation was pretty much abandoned when they couldn't find a successor with enough glitter dust to gain automatic media attention.

'Cuz that's what Randi had. It's not an accident that serious supporters wanted to see a Penn Gillette or Banacek or Chris Angel step into his shoes. Those folks know how to get themselves booked onto shows; not just discussion panels at the Seventh Annual Atheist Symposium of Springfield. Randi could call up Anderson Cooper or Johnny Carson and get a slot. He could announce a press conference to take on some bete noir and Larry King would happily have him on to explain it. Those three doods I mentioned could also do that (Hell, Gillette has his own production company). DJ and other names floated about? Not so much.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 09:22 AM   #11
MinimumWageShill
Scholar

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I think there's sufficient evidence that James Randi pretty much WAS the JREF. There's essentially no JREF without him, as we can see. The idea that someone could take on the mantle and maintain the foundation was pretty much abandoned when they couldn't find a successor with enough glitter dust to gain automatic media attention.

'Cuz that's what Randi had. It's not an accident that serious supporters wanted to see a Penn Gillette or Banacek or Chris Angel step into his shoes. Those folks know how to get themselves booked onto shows; not just discussion panels at the Seventh Annual Atheist Symposium of Springfield. Randi could call up Anderson Cooper or Johnny Carson and get a slot. He could announce a press conference to take on some bete noir and Larry King would happily have him on to explain it. Those three doods I mentioned could also do that (Hell, Gillette has his own production company). DJ and other names floated about? Not so much.
Pretty much this. I was absolutely not having a go at Randi himself, he has more than done his bit.

I just think that it appears JREF may die off for want of successors, and I have to hold my hands up because I have admitted that I have not visited for a long time.

Having said that I feel it did start to lose it's way a bit for instance with 'film reviews' along with continued attacks on 'Sylvia', who I think had become an irrelevance except for her most rabid supporters.

Last edited by MinimumWageShill; 19th June 2017 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Stupid typo
MinimumWageShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 10:52 AM   #12
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
It's not an accident that serious supporters wanted to see a Penn Gillette or Banacek or Chris Angel step into his shoes.
Banacek was close to being a successor, about 10 years ago. The board went with Phil Plait instead.

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 11:39 AM   #13
fagin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MinimumWageShill View Post
Pretty much this. I was absolutely not having a go at Randi himself, he has more than done his bit.

I just think that it appears JREF may die off for want of successors, and I have to hold my hands up because I have admitted that I have not visited for a long time.

Having said that I feel it did start to lose it's way a bit for instance with 'film reviews' along with continued attacks on 'Sylvia', who I think had become an irrelevance except for her most rabid supporters.
It looks pretty dead to me.
Old 19th June 2017, 12:15 PM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Banacek was close to being a successor, about 10 years ago. The board went with Phil Plait instead.
Who unfortunately quit to do his failed TV show. Would things have been better if he'd stayed? Who knows.
Old 19th June 2017, 10:59 PM   #15
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Who unfortunately quit to do his failed TV show. Would things have been better if he'd stayed? Who knows.
I think it's pretty well understood that DJ was bad for the organisation. If Phil had been able to stay on for longer, they might not have appointed DJ to the position at all.

But speculating on alternative realities rarely gets us very far.
Old 19th June 2017, 11:38 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

On the other hand, this was on the top of the front page of Imgur the other day:

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal