ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Old 23rd June 2017, 08:11 PM   #2721
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Gigantor
I agree, the number of sighting report hoaxes is low enough as to be a non-factor. Video and photoshop hoaxing is all the rage, but its really just an adolescent rite of passage and also not a factor.
Other than all the fake reports. You know, those hoaxes.

Feynman famously said The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool.

Footers are the easiest to fool. And if others won't fool them, they'll do it themselves. Over and over and over. They'll do it with foolhardy impunity, then pat each other on the back, proud in their foolishness.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2017, 08:13 AM   #2722
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Meldrum is pimping a new project:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...tudy-science#/
Quote:
$2,595 USD raised by 21 backers 35% of $7,500
flexible goal
What, his department doesn't have a measly $7500 for the discovery of the century?

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 09:42 AM   #2723
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Meldrum is pimping a new project:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...tudy-science#/

What, his department doesn't have a measly $7500 for the discovery of the century?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_DNA

Say Jeff, how about looking for EDNA in some of those footprints?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 05:47 PM   #2724
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

How about looking for a mid-tarsal break in your own casting there Dandy Don?! The amazing thing is there's not a hint, a line, an indention, an indication of anything that bends in the "mid-tarsal" area of Meldrum's own casting and in fact the "foot" that made that particular impression has never been bent in that middle area ever. Apparently only some Bigfoot have the mid-tarsal break and all the others politely declined the offer?

HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:39 AM   #2725
The Shrike
Illuminator

I never trust dudes whose ties are the same color as their shirt like that. It means that he went to Penney's and got one of those shirt/tie combo packs that scream "I have so little creativity that I let corporate America tell me what goes with what. I'm basically a grown man in Garanimals."
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 05:59 PM   #2726
Jodie
Philosopher

Or he's colorblind.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2017, 02:06 PM   #2727
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
I never trust dudes whose ties are the same color as their shirt like that. It means that he went to Penney's and got one of those shirt/tie combo packs that scream "I have so little creativity that I let corporate America tell me what goes with what. I'm basically a grown man in Garanimals."
So funny!

Which really highlights the clear but seldom discussed awkwardness of The Don. I'm not sure I've seen a more awkward "scientist" on TV ever. Naturally I've not been in his class, but I've cringed enough at his scattered TV moments that being in his class couldn't possibly be any better. I always visualize that scene in Airplane where people keep committing suicide listening to Ted Striker tell his war tales. I mean, could Meldrum be any less interesting?! His mannerisms, overall pooziness, that ******* beard, and especially that wimpy voice, which never portrays even a hint of true authority or sincerity. To me his disingenuousness has always been so apparent I could never believe people actually bought it, but I had foolishly forgotten how stupid thick people can really be.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
HarryHenderson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2017, 05:52 PM   #2728
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Key to understanding the Olympic Project "Bigfoot nests":

If human DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by humans.

If bear DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by bear.

If deer or elk DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by deer or elk.

If any other animal DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by other animals.

If no DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest from which no DNA was found.
Old 7th July 2017, 10:02 AM   #2729
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
If bear DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by bear.
If deer or elk DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by deer or elk.
If any other animal DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest that was contaminated by other animals.
If no DNA is found... it's a Bigfoot nest from which no DNA was found.
So what you're saying is it's a Bigfoot nest? What is a Bigfoot nest anyway? And why does DNA think this one was a nest? Wait I meant DWA.
Old 7th July 2017, 10:33 AM   #2730
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Or Bigfoot DNA can't be distinguished from human DNA...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 08:56 AM   #2731
The Shrike
Illuminator

It's almost . . . unfalsifiable!
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 06:25 PM   #2732
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

A potential simple way for us to game Meldrum's own game is to offer him some money. It's an obvious fact he's into Bigfooting for the money (and the chicks, man), but of course his claim is he's only into Bigfooting for the science. Okay Mr. Science, let's play that. Offer him enough money that his saying no actually makes him look like an asshat. Say offer $10,000 for him to come here and get annihilated by debate us? In theory it puts him into a conundrum he probably never expected. Does he take the money and risk being outed as the hack that he is (within just a short amount of time), or does he refuse because he knows that's true, but also knows it'll make him look like a real douchebag to his followers for not defending Bigfoot from a bunch of Internet hacks (whilst making $10,000 that could fund all manner of stupid new Bigfoot tricks)? If he's so convinced Bigfoot is real there's absolutely nothing here that's standing in his way of going out and getting one and proving us wrong. Until then there's questions he's never felt compelled to want to answer.

Heck, I'm willing for him to come here and just debate The Shrike, his legitimate professional peer, though that's in no way good news for him. We could make up a a wanted poster. Wanted Alive - Don Jeffrey Meldrum - $10,000 - Must Be Brought In Alive By Don Jeffrey Meldrum Himself. He'll NEVER show up here (or make his presence known if he does/has).
Old 12th July 2017, 12:42 PM   #2733
The Shrike
Illuminator

This would be my debate plan for Meldrum.
Old 12th July 2017, 01:27 PM   #2734
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

I'd pay $10k just to see that.
Old 15th July 2017, 08:52 PM   #2735
kitakaze
Resident DJ/NSA Supermole

Meldrum will simply say he would not waste his time. In all my interactions with him regarding Bigfoot evidence claims, if something can be resoundingly shown to be not Bigfoot, but it is something he has promoted, such as the Skookum elk lay or the Blue Creek Mountain Ray Wallace hoax tracks from August 1967, and you show him that evidence and try to engage him on it, he quickly becomes angry and will not engage further.

The fact that to most fundamentalists horror, he hitched himself to Todd Standing for profit, it shows he is far more interested in prestige and profit than any desire for truth. Offering him money to engage in debate would not interest him because there would be not only no prestige with the profit, but a loss of prestige at the inevitable huff he gets in when he can't preach to the choir.

2 prints, 1 trackway, same 'dermals'? 'Unfortunately no' says Meldrum.

I want to see bigfoot throw a pig... Is that wrong? -LTC8K6
kitakaze is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2017, 04:31 PM   #2736
HarryHenderson
Graduate Poster

My bigger point is more obscure than I thought. We use it to embarrass him. The offer itself is the game. How does he respond?! As my last sentence above exclaims I know he'll never show up here, so we take advantage of that specific fact. We put out a legitimate request for Don Meldrum, say on his Facebook page, to show up at the ISF for A Few Good Questions™ for $10,000. And when he doesn't show we lose absolutely nothing, but he potentially loses a bunch of things. That is I definitely can't see him benefiting from it. I mean, if we're gonna take the guy down we gotta take the guy down.

Oh and if he ever does decide to show up, it's easily covered, The Shrike's got the cash.
Old 16th July 2017, 05:55 PM   #2737
DennyT
Master Poster

I don't think a cash offer is needed. Why not just set up a conference in Pocatello? Could even be on campus.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal