ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags General Skepticism humor , Long Island Medium , mediums , Theresa Caputo

Old 11th June 2013, 06:37 PM   #1
RSLancastr

Long Island Medium Irony

In the "Isn't it Ironic" Department:

In a commercial for the upcoming episode of "Long Island Medium". Theresa Caputo says that she loves her father, but that he is sometimes "a little gullible".

Curious about Sylvia Browne? Read about her at www.StopSylvia.com.

Ever wonder "What's the Harm?" with psychics, alternative medicine, etc?
RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Empress
Piggish

No wonder she loves him. Nothing those mediums love more than gullible people.
Old 12th June 2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Empress View Post
No wonder she loves him. Nothing those mediums love more than gullible people.
Media.

One medium.
Two media.
Three or more make a congress of media. Or perhaps a carnival of media; I can't decide.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:11 PM   #4
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Media.

One medium.
Two media.
Three or more make a congress of media. Or perhaps a carnival of media; I can't decide.
Merriam Webster:

d plural mediums : an individual held to be a channel of communication between the earthly world and a world of spirits

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 01:01 PM   #5
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Media.

One medium.
Two media.
Perhaps a regurgitation of mediums?
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

A mendacity of mediums.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Merriam Webster:

d plural mediums : an individual held to be a channel of communication between the earthly world and a world of spirits
Killjoy. We hates it forever.
Old 12th June 2013, 01:15 PM   #8
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TjW View Post
Perhaps a regurgitation of mediums?
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
A mendacity of mediums.
Fine choices both.
Old 12th June 2013, 01:22 PM   #9
Psi Baba
Homo Skepticalis

Extra large?

There is a cult of ignorance . . . nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. -- Isaac Asimov
Psi Baba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 02:01 PM   #10
George 152
Philosopher

Medium short on facts
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Brown
Penultimate Amazing

I'd love it if she said that she liked candy as a kid, and although she enjoyed an occasional kiss, she really enjoyed taking the suckers.

"Don't you get me wrong. I only want to know." -- Judas in Jesus Christ Superstar, lyrics by Tim Rice
Brown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

I'd probably get in trouble with a murder of mediums. Or even a superfluity of mediums.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2013, 09:35 AM   #13
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Brown View Post
I'd love it if she said that she liked candy as a kid, and although she enjoyed an occasional kiss, she really enjoyed taking the suckers.
Nice one (took me a couple of reads to get it, though).

RSLancastr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2015, 06:36 AM   #14
The Shrike
Illuminator

Imagine the money this fraud is pulling in:
http://www.theresacaputo.com/wp-cont...8359140488.png
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2015, 12:36 PM   #15
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Despicable.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2015, 01:18 PM   #16
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Originally Posted by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos View Post
I'd probably get in trouble with a murder of mediums. Or even a superfluity of mediums.

~~ Paul

Borrowing from ravens, we have our choice of either storytelling or unkindness of psychics. Weasels come in sneaks, seems appropriate, and there is always coven (and coventry). But if we give them their very own collective noun, I'd go for a fraud of psychics.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2015, 01:56 PM   #17
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Makes me utterly sick that she's giving my hometown such a bad name.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2015, 06:20 PM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

TV has a lot to answer for.
Old 8th August 2015, 02:34 AM   #19
Apology
This title intentionally left blank

Perhaps a misguide of mediums.
Apology is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2015, 07:49 AM   #20
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Apology View Post
Perhaps a misguide of mediums.
Or a mistrust of mediums!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2015, 08:34 AM   #21
stanfr
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Makes me utterly sick that she's giving my hometown such a bad name.
Yep...even though she probably doesn't crack the top ten of evil woo-sellers Caputo really irks me, probably because I grew up on LI and she is a caricature of some of the worst I can recall. I remember about 20 yrs ago or so, Newsday ran a big story about some unnamed medium; the reporter was supposedly a 'skeptic' but went to see the medium and (he) supposedly told the reporter 'things there is no way he could have known' and this supposedly convinced the reporter he was the real deal. Even back then I was thoroughly familiar with cold reading techniques and the news story made me ill. Later I wondered whether they were referring to a young John Edward..never did find out.
stanfr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 05:47 PM   #22
RSLancastr

A Tedium of Mediums?

Old 2nd July 2017, 06:15 PM   #23
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Did you hear the one about an underage medium who was arrested for fraud, but escaped by squeezing through the bars?

Newspaper headline:

SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE!
Old 2nd July 2017, 06:29 PM   #24
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

A fabrication of mediums.
A manipulation of mediums.
A profit of prophets . . .

Tom McGuane
Old 2nd July 2017, 07:18 PM   #25
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Is there a StopCaputo.com?, If not, there should be.
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2017, 09:02 PM   #26
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Did you hear the one about an underage medium who was arrested for fraud, but escaped by squeezing through the bars?

Newspaper headline:

SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE!
First time I heard that one was when James vanPraagh used it in reference to himself (although he did not say "underage).

Old 2nd July 2017, 09:05 PM   #27
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
Is there a StopCaputo.com?, If not, there should be.
There was at one time (and there may still be) a stoptheresacaputo.com, which I first mistook for "Stop the Resacaputo". ???

Old 2nd July 2017, 09:24 PM   #28
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

How you doin' Robert?

Tom McGuane
Old 3rd July 2017, 01:02 AM   #29
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Is her hair getting bigger?
Old 3rd July 2017, 01:22 PM   #30
Ranb
Philosopher

It's been a year and now you're back Robert. Ready to rumble then?

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2017, 08:50 PM   #31
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
It's been a year and now you're back Robert. Ready to rumble then?

Ranb
If by that you mean am I ready to create another Stop site... Sadly, no.

My physical health, my emotional health and, to an extent, my mental health are not where they would need to be to undertake such a venture.

But thanks for asking (if indeed that was what you asked).

-RSL

Old 3rd July 2017, 09:00 PM   #32
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Welcome back, RSL.
Old 3rd July 2017, 09:27 PM   #33
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
If by that you mean am I ready to create another Stop site...
Was just glad to see you back actually. You always made this forum a better place.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 09:25 AM   #34
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

And, just so you know, Diamond has not had any new card decks in a good long while. Not sure why, but still checking!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2017, 01:34 PM   #35
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Was just glad to see you back actually. You always made this forum a better place.
Agreed 100%
Old 7th July 2017, 05:18 AM   #36
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Fine choices both.
Quite agreed!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 9th July 2017, 08:55 AM   #37
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by RSLancastr View Post
A Tedium of Mediums?
Threadwinner. I'll be using this for the rest of my life.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2017, 05:29 PM   #38
mgidm86
Illuminator

Hello to the "Stop Sylvia Dude"! Ah the good ol' JREF days. Back when I was known as "schplurg".

I wonder if anyone will channel Sylvia? She could continue her work from the grave, for a small fee to her spokesperson.

mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2017, 08:33 AM   #39
RSLancastr

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Hello to the "Stop Sylvia Dude"! Ah the good ol' JREF days. Back when I was known as "schplurg".

I wonder if anyone will channel Sylvia? She could continue her work from the grave, for a small fee to her spokesperson.

Hello, The Poster Formerly Known as "schplurg"!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if either of her sons started "channeling" their mom, but if they have, I have yet to hear of it.

-RSL

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal