ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 12th September 2013, 11:47 AM   #361
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
This is the answer to the Why not? Asked in your previous post.
Yes, it's absolutely undeniable that there is much mischief in your enthusiasm. But who's to say we wouldn't find your particular anecdote(claim) compelling?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 11:53 AM   #362
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The forum scene being a place to self-medicate. Each posting is like a drag on a cig. Posting great numbers of responses each day is a way to pass the time when days and nights can seem 63 hours long.
yes, I think you may be right.
Quote:
...Attention-seeking behaviour is surprisingly common. Being the centre of attention alleviates feelings of insecurity and inadequacy but the relief is temporary as the underlying problem remains unaddressed: low self-confidence and low self-esteem, and consequent low levels of self-worth and self-love.

Insecure and emotionally immature people often exhibit bullying behaviours, especially manipulation and deception. These are necessary in order to obtain attention which would not otherwise be forthcoming...

Last edited by Castro; 12th September 2013 at 01:03 PM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 12:00 PM   #363
TheDoLittle
Disco King Discombobulator

So I spent the afternoon scanning all the news channels and sites... has Bigfoots not been proven yet?
America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week. - Evan Esar / No one can earn a million dollars honestly. - William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925) / If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
TheDoLittle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 12:02 PM   #364
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

This is the answer to the Why not? Asked in your previous post.
Chris, I posted earlier that one of the reasons that I don't believe that BF exists is because Elmer Keith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Keith

Never bagged one.

There's a little more to this man and BF than you'll read in the Wiki or elsewhere.

Elmer killed every game animal in North America and in Africa and elsewhere.

In the earlier post I wasn't joking when I stated the only two mammals he never bagged were a whale and a human.

Elmer spent a good deal of his life in the wilderness of Idaho and Montana.

Elmer was once asked about BF, and he couldn't contain his disgust - his opinion was that if the creature existed, there would be the standard evidence left by all wild creatures, tracks, scat and remains. Any such creature would have a rutting season and the "cows" would calf - there would be no way any such animal could exist without evidence being discovered, and in all his years of hunting, world wide, he'd never run across evidence of any creature that could not be identifed as a standard type for the geographic area he was hunting - you didn't find mountain goats in the desert, and Impalas on the side of the Rockies.

Keith spent most of his life in the empty places, and his observations on animal behavior and the possibility of undiscovered creatures carry more weight with me than somebodies "faith" that they've seen such a creature.
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 12:06 PM   #365
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Actually, I'm of the opinion the BFF is a good platform. No forum is perfect. One thing's for certain, it's a family based forum and the civility rules are taken very seriously there. If you got kicked out, you must have not been very civil?

As far as people that post there. Like all forums there is a mix of people. Some are there to be serious, share and learn. Some are there to play and provoke others with no real interest in Bigfoot, only the people.

I post there and I don't think every single story or detail I read is true. So what? One must learn to separate fact from fiction. But just because I don't believe someone's story or encounter, it doesn't mean I have to charge in with an heated attack.
Some people have a low tolerance to being lied to in fact they hold the fanatical position that the person who told the lie is a liar and that further stories from a known liar should be discounted on sight.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 12:12 PM   #366
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Chris, I posted earlier that one of the reasons that I don't believe that BF exists is because Elmer Keith

Never bagged one.

There's a little more to this man and BF than you'll read in the Wiki or elsewhere.

In the earlier post I wasn't joking when I stated the only two mammals he never bagged were a whale and a human.

Elmer was once asked about BF, and he couldn't contain his disgust - his opinion was that if the creature existed, there would be the standard evidence left by all wild creatures, tracks, scat and remains. Any such creature would have a rutting season and the "cows" would calf - there would be no way any such animal could exist without evidence being discovered, and in all his years of hunting, world wide, he'd never run across evidence of any creature that could not be identifed as a standard type for the geographic area he was hunting - you didn't find mountain goats in the desert, and Impalas on the side of the Rockies.

Keith spent most of his life in the empty places, and his observations on animal behavior and the possibility of undiscovered creatures carry more weight with me than somebodies "faith" that they've seen such a creature.
You sure about that:
http://www.chevrolet.com/impala-4-do...014%2520impala

tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 12:18 PM   #367
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Sorry, the picture's not blurry enough.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 12:21 PM   #368
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Lindsay:

Quote:
Rick Dyer dead Bigfoot video is taking orders now. Dyer’s video After the Shot is now on sale for $129. It is said to contain 45 minutes of HD footage of the dead Bigfoot, Hank, that Rick definitely shot and killed in San Antonio, Texas last year. Rick says that the film was shot soon after the shooting by a film crew from a film company that he is associated with in some way. Rick says he had to pay the film crew $20,000 for their efforts.
Quote:
Each copy has some sort of markers on it to distinguish it from all of the others. Therefore, if anything gets uploaded to the Net, Dyer says he will know who put it up there he will sue the pants off them.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 12:24 PM   #369
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

....In the earlier post I wasn't joking when I stated the only two mammals he never bagged were a whale and a human.......
You may not have been joking, but you are certainly wrong. He killed one of every single different species of mouse, bat, rat, shrew, vole, sengi, meerkat, monkey and so on in all Africa? And this despite us still finding new species of mammals most years? There are bats that are known from only one cave. There are probably hundreds of species of mice in Africa alone (with some funny little names like Little Brown Mouse, Little Grey Mouse). Are you really saying that he killed every nocturnal subterranean desert species of rodent? Really? He must have visited every single oasis in the Sahara, for starters.

I don't doubt that your man killed an awful lot of stuff, but don't over-blow the claims or people will disregard the point you are trying to illustrate.

Mike

PS It is interesting that the Wiki article you link to doesn't make any mention of the claim you cite, and doesn't even say he visited Africa. Perhaps you could find a better source?

Last edited by MikeG; 12th September 2013 at 12:29 PM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 12:29 PM   #370
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
You may not have been joking, but you are certainly wrong. He killed one of every single different species of mouse, bat, rat, shrew, vole, sengis, meerkat, monkey and so on in all Africa? And this despite us still finding new species of mammals most years? There are bats that are known from only one cave. There are probably hundreds of species of mice in Africa alone (with some funny little names like Little Brown Mouse, Little Grey Mouse). Are you really saying that he killed every nocturnal subterranean desert species of rodent? Really?

I don't doubt that your man killed an awful lot of stuff, but don't over-blow the claims or people will disregard the point you are trying to illustrate.

Mike
Mike, I understand what you're getting at, but I did specify game animals - varmits and pest as you noted aren't included in that category.

Elmer made a funny comment relating to the caliber of rifle he suggested for pest removal - the 7mm Remington Magnum...
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 12:38 PM   #371
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I grant that you did say game animals on one line, but then went on to say:

.......In the earlier post I wasn't joking when I stated the only two mammals he never bagged were a whale and a human......
Which I believe is what you also said in your previous post. This is what drew my response.

I'd also say that neither zoologists nor I recognise "varmints and pests".

I think we should perhaps get back to BF now......[/derail]
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 01:19 PM   #372
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Never bagged one.

I agree that Keith was an avid hunter. But did he ever try to find a Bigfoot? I bet he didn't. So that means he was left with the possibility of a chance sighting. In areas that may have not been exactly hotspots of Bigfoot activity. Many share the same opinion as Keith.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 01:22 PM   #373
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Some people have a low tolerance to being lied to in fact they hold the fanatical position that the person who told the lie is a liar and that further stories from a known liar should be discounted on sight.
Actually, I think if one can prove a lie it's fair game to say so. But opinions, well that's not proof.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 01:24 PM   #374
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I agree that Keith was an avid hunter. But did he ever try to find a Bigfoot? I bet he didn't. So that means he was left with the possibility of a chance sighting. In areas that may have not been exactly hotspots of Bigfoot activity. Many share the same opinion as Keith.
Why would you have to go looking for it? That's just silly. All animals leave sign; you read the sign. Bigfoot sign would be unusual, one would think. One would know.

Of course such sign would have been followed to its source long before Keith ever entered the bush with a gun.

Yes, many share the same informed opinion as Keith.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 01:29 PM   #375
Akhenaten
Heretic Pharaoh

I agree that Keith was an avid hunter. But did he ever try to find a Bigfoot? I bet he didn't. So that means he was left with the possibility of a chance sighting.

No, it means that he was left with the sensible option of not wasting his time looking for a non-existent monkey.

In areas that may have not been exactly hotspots of Bigfoot activity.

Earth, you mean?

Many share the same opinion reality as Keith.

FTFY

Life is mostly Froth and Bubble - Adam Lindsay Gordon
Akhenaten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 02:23 PM   #376
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Why would you have to go looking for it? That's just silly. All animals leave sign; you read the sign. Bigfoot sign would be unusual, one would think. One would know.

Of course such sign would have been followed to its source long before Keith ever entered the bush with a gun.

Yes, many share the same informed opinion as Keith
Bolding mine. I would say that people who did not go look for Bigfoot would not find one. I also don't think it's considered to be "informed" to base an opinion on one man's experiences of not finding something he's not looking for.
Old 12th September 2013, 02:27 PM   #377
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
No, it means that he was left with the sensible option of not wasting his time looking for a non-existent monkey.

Earth, you mean?

FTFY

If you change my quote content please acknowledge that you made the change in your post. I'd rather not have my posts filled with someone else's words. Someone may get the wrong impression.
Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 02:56 PM   #378
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. If bigfoot had been roaming the woods of the US all along, it would have been hunted, found, and shot dead many times over. Bigfoot pelts would have been for sale.

Today, we would be talking about how bigfoot was hunted to extinction by 1920.

We would have old pics and movies of hunters posing with their kills.

There would be a few bigfoot leg umbrella stands still around.

Bits of bigfoot would be in dusty old museum drawers.

Footers would be looking for remnant populations of a species declared extinct. They would have examples for comparison in case they found any promising evidence.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 03:01 PM   #379
GT/CS
Illuminator

Mike, I understand what you're getting at, but I did specify game animals - varmits and pest as you noted aren't included in that category.

Elmer made a funny comment relating to the caliber of rifle he suggested for pest removal - the 7mm Remington Magnum...
Here is your original quote. Bolding mine.
Originally Posted by BStrong
If bigfoot existed in North America, one would have been killed and identified long before 2013, and I'd bet my gun collection that if there was a BF running around loose before 1980 it would have been killed by Elmer Keith:

As the only mammals known that Keith never killed are human beings and whales - every other mammal under the sun fell to Keith's guns during the course of his hunting career.
Do you want to back up and take another run at it?
Old 12th September 2013, 03:45 PM   #380
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Bolding mine. I would say that people who did not go look for Bigfoot would not find one.
Just bigfoot or any of the other game animals harvested, species discovered, wildlife observed when not specifically searching for that species?
Quote:
I also don't think it's considered to be "informed" to base an opinion on one man's experiences of not finding something he's not looking for.
I guess I'll have to unsee that brown bear, that black bear, that wolf (among many others) that I wasn't looking for, but ran across.

ETA: And what about all the bigfoot claimants (like hunters) that allegedly run into these cryptids that according to you have to be specifically targeted?

Guess we'll toss those reports in the trash

Last edited by Resume; 12th September 2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12th September 2013, 04:19 PM   #381
Castro
Muse

God Bigfoot is there, but you have to look for Him, men of little faith.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 04:38 PM   #382
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
I have answered that question previously. Although it may have been in another thread you may have missed. Because your post is courteous I will respond.

I know the Sasquatch exists the same as the Gorilla and the Chimpanzee because I've seen them and studied them. That's why I said "they exist".

If you are of the view the Sasquatch does not exist, that's ok by me.
I'm not open to discussion about these sightings or observations. Thanks
I appreciate your response; If I may say so, however, that is somewhat of a discourteous dismissal.

Might you be so kind as to explain why, with so much at stake, you are "not open" to sharing your experiences?

Might you also explain what, if you are "not open" to sharing your experiences, you see as the purpose of your participation?

I truly am not trying to be annoying--It just seems odd, to me.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 06:43 PM   #383
Wolrab
Illuminator

Why use the term bigfoot when snipe is way more accurate? After all, it is just a campfire story until evidence is provided.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 07:17 PM   #384
Robrob
Philosopher

I know the Sasquatch exists the same as the Gorilla and the Chimpanzee because I've seen them and studied them. That's why I said "they exist".

If you are of the view the Sasquatch does not exist, that's ok by me.
I'm not open to discussion about these sightings or observations. Thanks
Yeah, that's the part where I call BS. The ""I have evidence but I'm not going to tell you what it is" argument.

Old 12th September 2013, 07:36 PM   #385
elkabong51
Scholar

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
I appreciate your response; If I may say so, however, that is somewhat of a discourteous dismissal.

Might you be so kind as to explain why, with so much at stake, you are "not open" to sharing your experiences?

Might you also explain what, if you are "not open" to sharing your experiences, you see as the purpose of your participation?
y
I truly am not trying to be annoying--It just seems odd, to me.
Don't waste your time. This poster has repeatedly made claims like this, and when called on it, he falls back on the "it's personal, I don't need to show you proof of what I'm claiming" schtick.
elkabong51 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 07:45 PM   #386
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm confused as to why someone would post on a message board to remind everyone that he doesn't want to talk about something.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong
JoeBentley is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2013, 07:49 PM   #387
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
I'm confused as to why someone would post on a message board to remind everyone that he doesn't want to talk about something.
Welcome to the bigfoot world!!!
Old 12th September 2013, 07:57 PM   #388
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

He hunted and guide all through the northwest off and on for a few decades, and all the stereotypes about hunters aside, I seriously doubt that much of anything escaped his attention as game sign - you can not be successful a hunter as Elmer was and ignore or miss signs, and if he saw something that didn't make sense, he would be the first individual to want to find out what the hell made that track/scat or remains.
Old 12th September 2013, 08:02 PM   #389
Robrob
Philosopher

Especially while simultaneously complaining no one believes him.
Old 12th September 2013, 08:03 PM   #390
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Here is your original quote. Bolding mine.

Do you want to back up and take another run at it?
Well since this is an issue that I created that evidently needs addressing, Elmer Keith absolutely never killed an example of every known mammal on earth other than humans or whales.
Old 12th September 2013, 08:38 PM   #391
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Why use the term bigfoot when snipe is way more accurate? After all, it is just a campfire story until evidence is provided.
Well, snipes are real, so that's a big difference. There are 4 or 5 species with wide distribution in the Old and New World.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2013, 02:59 AM   #392
smartcooky
Philosopher

Perhaps he and DOC are related!?
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2013, 03:22 AM   #393
dafydd
Banned

I believe you. It doesn't leave any signs of passing that you've found.
Nor you.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2013, 05:04 AM   #394
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Well, snipes are real, so that's a big difference. There are 4 or 5 species with wide distribution in the Old and New World.
But the snipe hunting mark pretty much only falls for the con once, though he has an infinitely better chance of achieving his goal than the bigfoot enthusiast.
Old 13th September 2013, 05:09 AM   #395
Drewbot
Philosopher

When I was introduced to Snipe hunting at 9 or 10 years of age, (It worked the one time) at Boy Scout camp, we were told that we were looking for little creatures that looked like humans, but were only 10" tall, and the would run and hide in the grass, we were given burlap sacks to capture them in. I'm guess the camp counselors were smoking a doob while we were out looking for Snipes. No mention of a bird at that time.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2013, 05:14 AM   #396
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
When I was introduced to Snipe hunting at 9 or 10 years of age, (It worked the one time) at Boy Scout camp, we were told that we were looking for little creatures that looked like humans, but were only 10" tall, and the would run and hide in the grass, we were given burlap sacks to capture them in. I'm guess the camp counselors were smoking a doob while we were out looking for Snipes. No mention of a bird at that time.
So you were looking for a littlefoot?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2013, 05:20 AM   #397
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
So you were looking for a littlefoot?
Minime Foot
Old 13th September 2013, 05:21 AM   #398
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
PS It is interesting that the Wiki article you link to doesn't make any mention of the claim you cite, and doesn't even say he visited Africa. Perhaps you could find a better source?
You have to read BETWEEN the lines.

Sort of like with Bigfoot. You can't go by what you DON'T see, only by what you know is there. Or something.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2013, 05:25 AM   #399
Cainkane1
Philosopher

My biggest problem with woo woo promises is that they never pan out. So heres a guy who claims he shot a bigfoot and sometime between now and Jan 1st he will reveal the body. Why not reveal the body before to starts to decay?

One of two things will happen. SOme fake monstrousity will either be frozen in ice or formaldehyde or some excuse will be made to not show it at all.
Old 13th September 2013, 05:41 AM   #400
TheDoLittle
Disco King Discombobulator

Minime Foot
Princess Tiny Feet
America believes in education: the average professor earns more money in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week. - Evan Esar / No one can earn a million dollars honestly. - William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925) / If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
TheDoLittle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal