ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Reply
Old 10th September 2013, 12:56 AM   #121
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 36,104
Originally Posted by River View Post
Now there is a 10 million dollar reward offered by spike tv. ChrisBFRPKY doesnt need the money. He'd rather just observe the beast and tell stories.
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I could use 10 mil as much as the next guy but I'm not willing to kill one for money.
You don't have to kill it.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/sp...011120301.html

Quote:
The series, which premieres in January 2014 and will be hosted by "Lois & Clark" star Dean Cain, is challenging nine teams to head out into the Pacific Northwest and find Bigfoot (aka Sasquatch). If they can, via photographic and DNA evidence, they will be handed an eight-figure check, guaranteed by famous British insurance company Lloyd's of London.
Quote:
And about the multimillion-dollar poo: Rantamaki says one of the coolest pieces of technology the teams will use in their search is a mobile DNA lab that can provide DNA sequencing results in as little as a day.

"When I saw this, it truly blew my mind," he told Yahoo! TV. "It's not my world, but there's all different kinds of DNA, obviously, like hair, fur, saliva, stuff that maybe scraped off onto branches … scat is obviously a very big piece [of evidence] in the woods. And for the scat, it's so crazy that it can be determined, within several hours, what animal it has come from, very specifically, through the DNA sequencing. And even when samples are found, our experts have this knowledge … and in the lab, there's a textbook that is just filled with pictures of various kinds of scat, from every animal. It shows the picture of the animal, the shape of the scat … it's all really crazy, but hearing all these folks talk about it is fascinating."

So, finding Bigfoot really could come down to poo?

"Yes," Rantamaki said, laughing.
Are you connected to the alleged Bigfoot body Nogard is talking about?

What's your or his next excuse for not trying for the $10million?
__________________
Challenge your thoughts.
Don't believe everything you think.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 01:00 AM   #122
rockinkt
Graduate Poster
 
rockinkt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,121
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Guys

I wonder if we just missed an opportunity, in the haste to make Nogard's claim look even sillier than the actuality. I reckon when people like him come along we should probe a little first, before turning on the derision. Find out what he knows, who he knows, why he thinks he knows something we don't. We didn't even find out if he has had any conversations with any protagonists, or has any other "information" not in the public domain. I'm sorry to see he has gone, as I feel we have missed out on something, even if it is just the source/s of his story.

Mike

cred·u·lous
[krej-uh-luhs]
adjective
1.
willing to believe or trust too readily, especially without proper or adequate evidence; gullible.
2.
marked by or arising from credulity: a credulous rumor.
__________________
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." Steve Earle

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 01:16 AM   #123
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,396
patronising - adjective-(used of behavior or attitude) characteristic of those who treat others with condescension

pre·dict·a·ble [pri-dik-tuh-buhl] Show IPA
adjective
1.
able to be foretold or declared in advance: New technology allows predictable weather forecasting.
2.
expected, especially on the basis of previous or known behavior: His complaints are so predictable.

Is there anything anywhere in my post (indeed, any of my posts) which suggests I have even the slightest degree of acceptance of anything that Nogard said? The lack of reading comprehension skills around here is almost as great as the urge to pantomime ripostes.

Last edited by MikeG; 10th September 2013 at 01:20 AM.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 02:22 AM   #124
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
I don't really know about any charities, so whichever one you want is fine.
A mental health charity.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 02:25 AM   #125
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
I am going for the Million Dollar JREF thing here and predicting that we will reach 11:59:59 PM January 31, 2014 with no video, no body and no scientists (as we know scientists - holders of advanced degrees, publish in real journals, work for actual schools instead of diploma mills or McDonald's, do real/recognized research in appropriate fields)).

Possibly earlier plans have left me some jaded on this matter.




On the other hand, if lucky, not only will it turn out to be real, but it's stomach contents will be the remains of some chupacabras and obvious ET bones!!!!!
Why do woos never want to be rich?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 02:25 AM   #126
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,588
Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
You don't have to kill it.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/sp...011120301.html





Are you connected to the alleged Bigfoot body Nogard is talking about?

What's your or his next excuse for not trying for the $10million?
The Bigfoot body Nogard is talking about does not exist. I am in no way connected with anything Rick Dyer. I don't associate with hoaxers.

I don't do interviews with reporters and I don't do TV. No excuses, just the facts.

From what I understand, the producers will pick the area to be investigated by each team. The teams will search that area for evidence. I'll wager none of the areas chosen are very productive.

They have about the same odds of sighting a Bigfoot in a totally unfamiliar research area as they do of getting struck by lightening and winning the lottery on the same day. The money is in no danger.

If they want to take a risk, they should open the 10 million offer up to anyone that can provide proof of Bigfoot. That, I'd be interested in. Otherwise, KY already has "The Turtleman" on TV they certainly don't need me.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 02:35 AM   #127
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Originally Posted by River View Post
Can you present anything at all to back up your claims? What ya got?
Campfire stories.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 02:45 AM   #128
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,588
Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Why do woos never want to be rich?
I dunno? Good question. Maybe to some, value and self worth are not necessarily associated with money?

I like money too but some things are worth more.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 02:53 AM   #129
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,588
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
FTFY
Finally, a sense of humor. I was beginning to wonder.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 02:53 AM   #130
STRONG LIKE BEAR
Thinker
 
STRONG LIKE BEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
If they want to take a risk, they should open the 10 million offer up to anyone that can provide proof of Bigfoot.
That wouldn't be taking a "risk". There is no proof for Bigfoot, and there never will be. Bigfoot doesn't exist, Chris.
STRONG LIKE BEAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 02:54 AM   #131
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,588
Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Campfire stories.
So am I right in presuming you think I am a liar?
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 02:56 AM   #132
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,588
Originally Posted by STRONG LIKE BEAR View Post
That wouldn't be taking a "risk". There is no proof for Bigfoot, and there never will be. Bigfoot doesn't exist, Chris.
Then there's no reason not to open it up to the entire US is there.
It'd be nice if the JREF 1 mil challenge was to include Bigfoot as well.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 03:06 AM   #133
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
So am I right in presuming you think I am a liar?
No. I believe that you believe in your sightings. In the absence of any real evidence I will remain skeptical.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 04:35 AM   #134
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,588
dafydd, Thank you for the civility. I'm pleasantly surprised.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 04:43 AM   #135
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,503
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
It'd be nice if the JREF 1 mil challenge was to include Bigfoot as well.
Why?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 04:49 AM   #136
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,775
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Guys

I wonder if we just missed an opportunity, in the haste to make Nogard's claim look even sillier than the actuality. I reckon when people like him come along we should probe a little first, before turning on the derision. Find out what he knows, who he knows, why he thinks he knows something we don't. We didn't even find out if he has had any conversations with any protagonists, or has any other "information" not in the public domain. I'm sorry to see he has gone, as I feel we have missed out on something, even if it is just the source/s of his story.

Mike
Excellent point as long as you include yourself in that post because someone failed to ask those questions, instead he was rude to Nogard in post 34.

Originally Posted by MikeG
<snip>
Feel free to come back and ask us what we think of bigfoot after the body has been released to independent scientists, and after the various papers have been published in proper peer reviewed journals. We'll have a great conversation then.

Mike
__________________
Normal in a weird way.

Last edited by GT/CS; 10th September 2013 at 04:54 AM.
GT/CS is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 04:53 AM   #137
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,828
Charity should be something to do with real wildlife.

Animals that actually need protection.

Imagine if these Bigfooters actually went out in the woods and found real, non-mythical animals, and helped conserve them?



I suggest http://www.oriannesociety.org/
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic

Last edited by Drewbot; 10th September 2013 at 04:55 AM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 05:09 AM   #138
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,588
Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Why?
Because it would announce to the World JREF declares conclusively there is no Bigfoot and they're willing to put their money where their mouth is.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 05:12 AM   #139
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,503
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Because it would announce to the World JREF declares conclusively there is no Bigfoot and they're willing to put their money where their mouth is.
Why is that necessary? Most of whom I highlighted already knows that according to polls.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 05:19 AM   #140
Drewbot
Philosopher
 
Drewbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,828
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Then there's no reason not to open it up to the entire US is there.
It'd be nice if the JREF 1 mil challenge was to include Bigfoot as well.
Are you declaring that Bigfoot is Supernatural?
Because it is a "Supernatural Challenge"
__________________
"I dont call that evolution, I call that the survival of the fittest." - Bulletmaker
"I thought skeptics would usually point towards a hoax rather than a group being duped." - makaya325
Kit is not a skeptic. He is a former Bigfoot believer that changed his position to that of non believer.- Crowlogic
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 05:22 AM   #141
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
dafydd, Thank you for the civility. I'm pleasantly surprised.
Why? I am a skeptic, show me the cast-iron evidence and I will believe. There is not a shred of evidence for the existence of Bigfoot. Campfire stories, fuzzy blobs in photos, fake footprints and men in costumes do not fit the bill.

Last edited by dafydd; 10th September 2013 at 05:23 AM.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 05:24 AM   #142
STRONG LIKE BEAR
Thinker
 
STRONG LIKE BEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 160
You've got it kind of backwards Chris. No one needs to come out and "declare" "conclusively" to the "world" that there is no Bigfoot. That is the default position. The world itself (quite literally) tells us that there is no Bigfoot.

You fail to realize just how much of a fringe topic this is. No one cares Chris, you find attention here because people are bored. Bigfoot is not a topic that people are "studying" trying to find the "truth". You are being laughed at Chris.
STRONG LIKE BEAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 05:37 AM   #143
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,581
Talking

Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
This. Corpses do not improve with age.

Didn't bother reading the rest of the thread. Didn't see any point.
Unless you are necrophiliac. Then corpse are like good wine, they improve with age.

Not saying that Rick is into that but....

Last edited by Aepervius; 10th September 2013 at 05:44 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 05:37 AM   #144
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,751
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
So am I right in presuming you think I am a liar?
If I told you I have a picture of a moose on my property in NC, taken from 30 yards away, and the picture was an indistinct blob, you wouldn't accept that as proof that there are moose in central NC.

You would wonder how the heck I couldn't get a clear picture of a moose that close to me on a clear day.

And you claim 51 feet, iirc...

Quote:
He's exactly 51 feet away from the camera. The area where his cheek and brow ridge are showing thru the brush is about 6 feet exactly from the ground. So sitting down he's a bit over 6 feet tall. If this is the same one we've seen since, he's somewhere between 10 and 12 feet tall when standing.
And 120 feet...

Quote:
The subject is exactly 120 feet from the camera. You'll notice the Sun is shining directly on the subject.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 10th September 2013 at 05:40 AM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 05:44 AM   #145
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,581
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I could use 10 mil as much as the next guy but I'm not willing to kill one for money.
Why is that all bigfoot believer I read posting, none are willing to kill a BF ? Probably because that give them a convenient excuse on "no body yet".
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 05:47 AM   #146
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,751
Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Why is that all bigfoot believer I read posting, none are willing to kill a BF ? Probably because that give them a convenient excuse on "no body yet".
It kills the dream...

They don't even want the money to give away...

They don't even have to kill one...

Makes no sense at all.

The producers of other bigfoot shows apparently have no trouble dropping a crew right near some of the critters...

Any attempt to actually close in on bigfoot is stymied by footers themselves.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 05:50 AM   #147
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,581
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I dunno? Good question. Maybe to some, value and self worth are not necessarily associated with money?

I like money too but some things are worth more.
Nan. The msot likely explanation is that they don't really believe they can do what they pretend to do.

In your case, you most likely know you never saw a Bigfoot and realize you never will. So by pretending (like many other bigfoot afficianado) that you are not killing any, you are freeing yourself to justify why you can't provide a body.

I call that the "fortune teller paradoxe" (not sure if it is the real name), where people using a woo skill (psy , esp whatever) or hunting after some type of criptid (like BF) could make a fortune using their skill or providing a corpse, but make a lot of excuse why they can't. First time I encoutnered it was a friend visiting an "olde school" tarot fortune teller.


how amny time we heard on this forum "psy user cannot profit from their own power" and some other bovine excrement excuse ?

Same thing here basically. But don't worry you are not the first BF believer pretending they would not kill one.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 06:02 AM   #148
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,396
Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Excellent point as long as you include yourself in that post because someone failed to ask those questions, instead he was rude to Nogard in post 34.
I do include myself. It dawned on me as I logged on this morning that we should find out about this guy's affiliations, or if he just gleaned his belief from the same stuff freely available to everyone. By the time I got to the thread, he'd said his goodbyes.

Erm........rude? Really?
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 06:22 AM   #149
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,247
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I do include myself. It dawned on me as I logged on this morning that we should find out about this guy's affiliations, or if he just gleaned his belief from the same stuff freely available to everyone. By the time I got to the thread, he'd said his goodbyes.

Erm........rude? Really?
Yes, why do we always have to be so rude? We could have taken the high road by hearing him out [for the sake of the lurkers] and then do a cross examination, again, for the sake of the lurkers. But no, most here seem to quick to eviscerate like a flock of vultures through derision. What message do we send out to the world at large? A message voiced by Phil Plait comes to mind.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 06:25 AM   #150
Spektator
Dog Who Laughs
 
Spektator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,555
As others have said, it doesn't seem likely that bigfoot would fall within the JREF million-dollar-prize venue. The proposition is for a test of some supernatural ability, is it not?

And a test would not definitively prove the nonexistence of bigfoot. At most it would demonstrate that individual pieces of evidence were the results of mistaken identification, hoaxing, or fraud, and those who believe in a big North American woods ape would continue to believe, just as they do now. After all, how could one ever prove that ___s don't exist somewhere in the American wilderness? You can fill in the blank with Ivory-Billed Woodpecker, Thunderbird, leprechaun, etc. It is staggeringly difficult to prove such a negative.
__________________
Even when you keep piling them up, lies never compress to become the truth.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 06:25 AM   #151
dafydd
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 35,398
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
A message voiced by Phil Plait comes to mind.
Who?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 06:29 AM   #152
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,751
I try to stay on the high road and I think I do most of the time.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 06:34 AM   #153
Stamuel
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 541
I am pretty sure bigfoot is eligible for the Randi prize based on Randi's interview on MonsterTalk. It is not explicitly stated, but here are the parts of the interview that suggest this.
Quote:
Blake: So if someone had a poltergeist case today, or they felt like they did, would they be eligible for the MDC [Million Dollar Challenge]?



Randi: Oh, absolutely, absolutely. No question about it, that sort of thing is eligible.



[...]



Karen: Do you get many claims about cryptozoology, or ghosts?



Randi: No. No, not much. I don’t think I’ve had a claim in years on cryptozoology.



Karen: You have had them, previously?



Randi: Yeah, a couple, and I don’t even recall them, which shows how significant they were.
Full transcript: http://www.skeptic.com/podcasts/mons...21/transcript/
__________________
A+
Stamuel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 06:50 AM   #154
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,751
They can always try and see if they get rejected, I suppose.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 06:50 AM   #155
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,588
Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Nan. The msot likely explanation is that they don't really believe they can do what they pretend to do.

In your case, you most likely know you never saw a Bigfoot and realize you never will. So by pretending (like many other bigfoot afficianado) that you are not killing any, you are freeing yourself to justify why you can't provide a body.

I call that the "fortune teller paradoxe" (not sure if it is the real name), where people using a woo skill (psy , esp whatever) or hunting after some type of criptid (like BF) could make a fortune using their skill or providing a corpse, but make a lot of excuse why they can't. First time I encoutnered it was a friend visiting an "olde school" tarot fortune teller.


how amny time we heard on this forum "psy user cannot profit from their own power" and some other bovine excrement excuse ?

Same thing here basically. But don't worry you are not the first BF believer pretending they would not kill one.
To clarify things just a bit, I said I will not go out and kill one just to prove they exist. If attacked, I have no reservations whatsoever of ending anything that threatens my life.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 06:53 AM   #156
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,503
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
If attacked, I have no reservations whatsoever of ending anything that threatens my life.
Good thing there's no danger of that.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 07:10 AM   #157
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,588
Originally Posted by STRONG LIKE BEAR View Post
You've got it kind of backwards Chris. No one needs to come out and "declare" "conclusively" to the "world" that there is no Bigfoot. That is the default position. The world itself (quite literally) tells us that there is no Bigfoot.

You fail to realize just how much of a fringe topic this is. No one cares Chris, you find attention here because people are bored. Bigfoot is not a topic that people are "studying" trying to find the "truth". You are being laughed at Chris.
You must have a very sad life.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 07:17 AM   #158
Cainkane1
Philosopher
 
Cainkane1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The great American southeast
Posts: 8,377
Originally Posted by Nogard View Post
I believe that Rick Dyer is telling the truth and that the bigfoot he shot and killed will be released sometime before January 1st, 2014. I'm curious to know if the skeptics here would fully embrace this discovery when the scientists confirm it or if you will just write it off as another hoax. What would it take for you to realize that this is actually real? There comes a point when the evidence is so great that it takes more faith to believe its a hoax.

Not only will you see pictures and video of the bigfoot, but a top tier team of scientists who have been studying the body for a year will hold a press conference to disclose their findings. Then in 2014, Rick will be taking the body on tour across the U.S. so you can get the chance to see it in person. Also, after this proves bigfoot's existence, will it open up the possibility of other cryptids being real, like the Jersey Devil, for instance? In any case, it will show that mass eyewitness testimony should be taken more seriously than it has been among skeptics.
If someone actually shot a so called bigfoot the shooter might be arrested for murder. The creature being described as a large upright humanoid creature. If someone shot the female bigfoot in the Patterson video a DNA test would reveal the animal as a species of human.

I don't believe in bigfoot. No evidence will ever be presented. Some lame excuse will be made not to "reveal" the corpse. Nobody will see the evidence because it doesn't exist.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed try try again. Then if you fail to succeed to Hell with that. Try something else.
Cainkane1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 07:19 AM   #159
STRONG LIKE BEAR
Thinker
 
STRONG LIKE BEAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 160
Ooh no you di-int!



Yeah Chris, the people telling you that Bigfoot is not real are the ones with the sad lives. It's not the bumbling fool creeping through his Kentucky backwood seeing brush and tree snaps and thinking it's a Bigfoot "shelter"

Last edited by STRONG LIKE BEAR; 10th September 2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: nm
STRONG LIKE BEAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 07:33 AM   #160
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17,265
Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
So am I right in presuming you think I am a liar?
Bigfoot believers seem to enjoy asking this question and use it as an argumentative strategy or tactic. It's also used in proxy where the question is asked for another person "you think my mother is a liar?"

In this instance I would say that no definitive evidence has been presented to demonstrate that you are not telling lies. All we have is what you type at the computer and some pictures you took. You absolutely could be lying. As it stands there is no way to know that you are telling the truth about certain things.

You have been caught in contradictions and what appears to be intellectual dishonesty (pretending you weren't wrong, etc.). This can be an indicator for some people when you then go and ask people point-blank if they think you are a liar.

Please note that this post is not another way of simply calling you a liar. I'm not saying that.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.

Last edited by William Parcher; 10th September 2013 at 07:35 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.