ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 10th September 2013, 07:42 AM   #161
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by STRONG LIKE BEAR View Post
Ooh no you di-int!

http://s15.postimg.org/4c18tvy4p/this_thread.gif

Yeah Chris, the people telling you that Bigfoot is not real are the ones with the sad lives. It's not the bumbling fool creeping through his Kentucky backwood seeing brush and tree snaps and thinking it's a Bigfoot "shelter"
No, I was speaking specifically to you of your postings. Everything you have posted toward me has been negative. It must be hell to have all that negativity inside.

Don't flatter yourself, I honestly don't care if you think there's a Bigfoot or not. I only wish you could share that opinion as well.

<SNIP>

Mod WarningSNIPed, breach of rule 12.
Posted By:Locknar

Last edited by Locknar; 11th September 2013 at 06:59 AM.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 07:45 AM   #162
Drewbot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Good thing there's no danger of that.
To a Bigfooter however, "If I'm attacked" is the same as something in the shadows howling at them. We all know Primates do bluff charges and sound to intimidate. If you hear a Bigfoot howling or screaming at you, your life is in danger.

I point you to the following TBRC NAWAC video, at 56:43 and this shooting incident at Area X. It is the "Cluck-back" incident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cstl-8xHAE
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 07:49 AM   #163
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

I think they are liars. But they are lying to themselves first. Then me.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 07:55 AM   #164
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
So am I right in presuming you think I am a liar?
Not believing your story is not the same as calling you a liar.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 07:58 AM   #165
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

No, I was speaking specifically to you of your postings. Everything you have posted toward me has been negative. It must be hell to have all that negativity inside.

Don't flatter yourself, I honestly don't care if you think there's a Bigfoot or not. I only wish you could share that opinion as well.

<SNIP>
Edited by Locknar:  Moderated content removed.
He's not negative, he's positive there is no bigfoot.

He doesn't think there isn't a bigfoot, he knows.

Last edited by Locknar; 11th September 2013 at 07:00 AM.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 07:59 AM   #166
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

I agree Thaiboxerken, there is a difference. One is civil and the other isn't.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 08:01 AM   #167
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

But if you cannot call a liar a liar because of some incivility rule then Bigfoot hoaxers have special advantages.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:05 AM   #168
Drewbot
Philosopher

When dealing with Bigfooters, it is often the direct, but true comments that have the greatest effect.

For example, when I ask a Bigfooter "Do you take any medications?" or "Do you have a history of Narcolepsy or REM sleep disorders?", do you think the answer is yes or no?

Usually it is, "I REPORTED YOU FOR ASKING PERSONAL QUESTIONS"

Why do you think that is?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 08:06 AM   #169
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
He's not negative, he's positive there is no bigfoot.

He doesn't think there isn't a bigfoot, he knows.
One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:09 AM   #170
STRONG LIKE BEAR
Thinker

Everything you have posted toward me has been negative.
Yeah, that's what happens when you discuss Bigfoot in a forum that doesn't coddle you and run cover-fire for your delusions.

Quote:
Welp, the PGF is a hoax, along with all the other Bigfoot "evidence" of the past 60 years.. so.. do you have some new evidence to present or something?

Quote:
<SNIP>
<SNIP>

Edited by Locknar:  Edited, breach of rule 0/rule 12.

Last edited by Locknar; 11th September 2013 at 07:02 AM.
STRONG LIKE BEAR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 08:10 AM   #171
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
But if you cannot call a liar a liar because of some incivility rule then Bigfoot hoaxers have special advantages.
A hoaxer is a liar by definition. As long as that fact is proven the shoe fits. Unproven accusations are not valid.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:11 AM   #172
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

One could choose to be civil though and still disagree. For example, since I know Bigfoot does exist, I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience.
You don't know any such thing. You think bigfoot exists.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 08:13 AM   #173
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

...I don't call others "idiot" just because they're uneducated on the subject and share a different view based on that lack of experience.
Didn't you just call somebody a "kid" in one of your posts?
Old 10th September 2013, 08:15 AM   #174
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by STRONG LIKE BEAR View Post
Yeah, that's what happens when you discuss Bigfoot in a forum that doesn't coddle you and run cover-fire for your delusions.

Welp, the PGF is a hoax, along with all the other Bigfoot "evidence" of the past 60 years.. so.. do you have some new evidence to present or something?

<SNIP>

I have nothing to hide. I'm fine with your opinion on Bigfoot, let's drop the insults.

Last edited by Locknar; 11th September 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:19 AM   #175
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

A hoaxer is a liar by definition. As long as that fact is proven the shoe fits. Unproven accusations are not valid.
In general, Bigfootery does not call out its hoaxers. Only a small number are held up above the crowd on pikes for all to call hoaxers.

Meldrum has over 200 footprint casts in his collection at the university. He has never declared even a single one of them to be a hoax.

What I think you want to say is: you can't go and call any Bigfooter a liar unless all the other Bigfooters have already called them a liar.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:22 AM   #176
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
When dealing with Bigfooters, it is often the direct, but true comments that have the greatest effect.

For example, when I ask a Bigfooter "Do you take any medications?" or "Do you have a history of Narcolepsy or REM sleep disorders?", do you think the answer is yes or no?

Usually it is, "I REPORTED YOU FOR ASKING PERSONAL QUESTIONS"

Why do you think that is?
Some are intimidated by those questions. If the questions are asked the wrong way it suggests the interviewer thinks the witness is mentally unstable. Asked the right way, it's no problem. Proper interview techniques must be studied before doing a witness interview. It boils down to an inexperienced interviewer if the witness becomes hostile.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:23 AM   #177
dafydd
Banned

Some are intimidated by those questions. If the questions are asked the wrong way it suggests the interviewer thinks the witness is mentally unstable.
Searching for legendary animals is normal behaviour?
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 08:31 AM   #178
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

In general, Bigfootery does not call out its hoaxers. Only a small number are held up above the crowd on pikes for all to call hoaxers.

Meldrum has over 200 footprint casts in his collection at the university. He has never declared even a single one of them to be a hoax.

What I think you want to say is: you can't go and call any Bigfooter a liar unless all the other Bigfooters have already called them a liar.
Bigfoot research is largely about calling out hoaxers. Hoaxers must be exposed for what they do and what they are with undeniable evidence of the hoax they committed.

Dr Meldrum likely has some hoaxed prints in his collection. I don't know as I've not seen it in person. There's really no need to call a press conference to announce he has a few hoaxed casts is there? If he does have some, he should be able to tell the difference.

A civil discussion shouldn't be difficult to aquire.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:33 AM   #179
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Some are intimidated by those questions. If the questions are asked the wrong way it suggests the interviewer thinks the witness is mentally unstable. Asked the right way, it's no problem. Proper interview techniques must be studied before doing a witness interview. It boils down to an inexperienced interviewer if the witness becomes hostile.
This seems to be an ongoing argumentative defense among people with fringe benefits. The constant pleas that everything criticism of them has to be phrased "in the right way" to a completely unreasonable, indeed impossible, degree. Hence the constant "So you think I'm a liar?" baiting when people point out how logically impossible many of these statements are. I think it's a defense mechanism to dismiss obvious problems with fringe beliefs without actually addressing them.

As best as I can put it I think the phrase "I know Bigfoot exists" to be logically untenable. I believe a person making this statement is, at best, woefully mistaken and yes often a liar, suffers from mental disorder, or is otherwise simply not mentally stable or honest.

Where you specifically fall on this scale I don't know and honestly don't care. It doesn't change my basic response to the statement.

I don't have to psychoanalyze the hows and whys of a false statement in order to state that it is wrong.

Whether you are factually wrong, lying, mentally unstable or trolling my response to you is not going to change.

Last edited by JoeBentley; 10th September 2013 at 08:34 AM.
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 08:35 AM   #180
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
Searching for legendary animals is normal behaviour?
I think most people don't just wake up one morning and decide to go out looking for Bigfoot. Most researchers are simply trying to validate an encounter or sighting they've had. Chances are if an 8 foot ape ran across your back yard, you'd probably wanna know more about it.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:39 AM   #181
Drewbot
Philosopher

You're looking in the wrong place.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:40 AM   #182
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

researchers
Why do you call them researchers instead of believers?
Old 10th September 2013, 08:40 AM   #183
The Shrike
Illuminator

If I saw an 8' ape running across my back yard I'd want to know more about me.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 08:43 AM   #184
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Some are intimidated by those questions. If the questions are asked the wrong way it suggests the interviewer thinks the witness is mentally unstable.
What do you do if the witness is mentally unstable? Do you just proceed and pretend that they aren't? Would that then be a form of lying or hoaxing?
Old 10th September 2013, 08:43 AM   #185
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
This seems to be an ongoing argumentative defense among people with fringe benefits. The constant pleas that everything criticism of them has to be phrased "in the right way" to a completely unreasonable, indeed impossible, degree. Hence the constant "So you think I'm a liar?" baiting when people point out how logically impossible many of these statements are. I think it's a defense mechanism to dismiss obvious problems with fringe beliefs without actually addressing them.

As best as I can put it I think the phrase "I know Bigfoot exists" to be logically untenable. I believe a person making this statement is, at best, woefully mistaken and yes often a liar, suffers from mental disorder, or is otherwise simply not mentally stable or honest.

Where you specifically fall on this scale I don't know and honestly don't care. It doesn't change my basic response to the statement.

I don't have to psychoanalyze the hows and whys of a false statement in order to state that it is wrong.

Whether you are factually wrong, lying, mentally unstable or trolling my response to you is not going to change.
And I would think a Bic lighter would be almost impossible to fathom by those whom had never seen one.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:47 AM   #186
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

What do you do if the witness is mentally unstable? Do you just proceed and pretend that they aren't? Would that then be a form of lying or hoaxing?
It's not the interviewer's place to council the witness. Just to ask the questions, get the sighting details, make the observations, and record the findings.
Old 10th September 2013, 08:54 AM   #187
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Why do you call them researchers instead of believers?
We've already been over this before, I think you know my take on faith base verses study. Why do you call them "believers"?
Old 10th September 2013, 08:57 AM   #188
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And I would think a Bic lighter would be almost impossible to fathom by those whom had never seen one.
True. And if one had never seen a Bic Lighter having one shown to you would be a perfectly reasonable request. We wouldn't accept "I have evidence of a Bic Lighter that I'll show you in the future, not now, because of... reasons."

Bigfooters are always acting as if "Present a body" is some massively unreasonable standard of evidence.

It's an animal. It would leave evidence. Real, hard, solid concrete evidence. It's been decades at this point but all we've gotten is questionable evidence and these sad "We have evidence but can't show it to you" games.

So me a body. Show me a hide. Show me a skeleton. Show me video that doesn't look like it was taken with a broken 1996 camera phone held by someone with Parkinson's during an earthquake. Show me something other then some appeal to some special pleading as to why "Some known huckster says he has secret evidence that he can't show us" should suffice.

People accepted immediately that the ceolacanth existed when one was actually caught. People accepted that the gorilla existed when a skull and other bones were presented.

We are not holding Bigfoot to some new, unreasonable standard.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:00 AM   #189
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

I'm not here to prove Bigfoot exists for you. Sorry. Be content with your beliefs. I wish you well.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:02 AM   #190
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm not here to prove Bigfoot exists for you. Sorry. Be content with your beliefs. I wish you well.
Then everyone here is perfectly within reason to dismiss your claims as bunk.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:07 AM   #191
dafydd
Banned

It is not a belief. Show me evidence and I will accept that Bigfoot exists. Your stories, vague photos and films of men in suits are not enough.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 09:13 AM   #192
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Then everyone here is perfectly within reason to dismiss your claims as bunk.
Yes certainly, and everyone here is also free to find your posts and opinions insulting and of little value as well. Cheers.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:16 AM   #193
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Sighs* Is there some guideline in the Woo Slinger handbook that says "One must always end their posts with a sarcastic, faux-polite 'Cheers.'?"
Old 10th September 2013, 09:20 AM   #194
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dafydd View Post
It is not a belief. Show me evidence and I will accept that Bigfoot exists. Your stories, vague photos and films of men in suits are not enough.
Films of men in suits? What film? P/G?
Old 10th September 2013, 09:23 AM   #195
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

*Sighs* Is there some guideline in the Woo Slinger handbook that says "One must always end their posts with a sarcastic, faux-polite 'Cheers.'?"
I don't know what other's use may imply but to me "Cheers" is my way to say we don't have to agree on everything to get along and although we differ in opinion I'd still have a drink with you (non-alcoholic of course).
Old 10th September 2013, 09:24 AM   #196
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

A civil discussion shouldn't be difficult to aquire.
It is an almost universal truth that Bigfooters have a very serious problem being civil. The history of this forum is a history of believers and knowers going off the deep end. We have a cemetery here with their gravestones.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:24 AM   #197
Castro
Muse

Rick Dyer, the Georgia Bigfoot body hoaxer. There is absolutely no chance Rick Dyer has anything. He is a liar and a hoaxer, both of which have already been proven as fact. His 5 minutes of fame is over. End of story.
He's playing the bigfoot game and he's not the only one.
http://www.bfrpky.com/PICS.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrclean34/videos
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2013, 09:29 AM   #198
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

William, it's likely the pile ons and namecalling by multiple members here provoke a like response from the Bigfooters. After a few warnings they're off the forum. Where as only a few on the skeptical side receive a warning for their over the top behavior.

Clever strategy but crystal as well.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:30 AM   #199
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Chris, your saga here and what led to it are nearly identical to that of "WGBH" who has no problem using his real name John Cartwright. Most of his posts are in the first "Bigfoot - Anyone Seem One? thread. He is a knower who would not budge. And he would post prolific like an obsessed person with an obsession. Do you know him? His Bigfoot was eating berries and not bark.
Old 10th September 2013, 09:31 AM   #200
ChrisBFRPKY
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Castro View Post
He's playing the bigfoot game and he's not the only one.
http://www.bfrpky.com/PICS.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/mrclean34/videos
Thanks for visiting my site. As you can see it was free and no products are sold there.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal