ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cryptozoology , devil's footprints , ufos

Old 4th October 2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Alan Lowey
Muse

Devil's Footprints Fit Shape Of Male Giant Dragonfly Clasper

The Devil's Footprints are an enduring mystery that have occurred on more than one occasion.

Quote:
On the night of 8–9 February 1855 and one or two later nights, after a heavy snowfall, a series of hoof-like marks appeared in the snow. These footprints, most of which measured around four inches long, three inches across, between eight and sixteen inches apart and mostly in a single file, were reported from over thirty locations across Devon and a couple in Dorset. It was estimated that the total distance of the tracks amounted to between 40 and 100 miles. Houses, rivers, haystacks and other obstacles were travelled straight over, and footprints appeared on the tops of snow-covered roofs and high walls which lay in the footprints' path, as well as leading up to and exiting various drain pipes as small as four inches in diameter. From a news report:

"It appears on Thursday night last, there was a very heavy snowfall in the neighbourhood of Exeter and the South of Devon. On the following morning the inhabitants of the above towns were surprised at discovering the footmarks of some strange and mysterious animal endowed with the power of ubiquity, as the footprints were to be seen in all kinds of unaccountable places - on the tops of houses and narrow walls, in gardens and court-yards, enclosed by high walls and pailings, as well in open fields."

The area in which the prints appeared extended from Exmouth, up to Topsham, and across the Exe Estuary to Dawlish and Teignmouth. R.H. Busk, in an article published in Notes and Queries in 1890, stated that footprints also appeared further afield, as far south as Totnes and Torquay, and that there were other reports of the prints as far away as Weymouth (Dorset) and even Lincolnshire.

There were also attendant rumours about sightings of a "devil-like figure" in the Devon area during the scare. Many townspeople armed themselves and attempted to track down the beast responsible, without success

A comment from this Skeptoid site 'The Devil Walked in Devon' adds some interesting details to the nature of the mystery prints:

Quote:
This subject was covered in a radio broadcast on the BBC (The Stargazer talks) by Lt. Commander Rupert T. Gould, RN on 13th February 1935. He drew attention to the observation that the tracks were convex meaning that the 'hoof' must have been concave. This ruled out many suggestions that the track were made by familiar animals with 'pads' on their feet. The residents would have been familiar with the tracks of such animals. The tracks also approached the front doors of dwellings before retreating. He also commented that, at a spacing of 8 inches over an estimated 60 miles of tracks made over night in thirteen hours, the 'creature' must have made 9 strides per second! There must have been more than one creature.

From the 'Mysterious Britain' site it states:

Quote:
There are similar scattered cases from other parts of the world and also one written account in Britain. According to Ralph of Coggeshall, (who also recorded strange arial phenomena during his era) a writer from the 13th Century, on the 19th of July 1205 strange hoof print appeared after a violent electrical storm. In mid July these tracks would only be visible in the soft earth, and the electrical storm suggests some kind of natural phenomenon as yet unknown.

A comment adds yet another documented case:

Quote:
A similar but less known episode involved the great explorer James Clark Ross. One of the tasks of his historic 1839-1843 expedition was to take geomagnetic reading in a number of locations. One of these prearranged locations was the barren and desolate Kerguelen Island (now a French possession) in the Southern Indian ocean, which was reached in May 1840. While looking for a suitable location to set up their geomagnetic and astronomical stations the ship crew came across a trail of hoofprints in the snow, which was followed until it disappeared on the rocky soil. Ross wrote that he was "intrigued" by this discovery, since no creature native to the island could leave such prints. The HMSs Erebus and Terror stayed at Kerguelen for two months, while geomagnetic, tidal and astronomical observations were carried and both the officer and the crew explored the island in search of the mysterious beast but to no avail. One officer speculated that the hoofrints belonged to a horse which managed to swim to the shore from a wrecked ship, but his guess was as good as anybody else's.

A more recent case of an elderly lady waking to find the mysterious prints in the snow in her garden received some media attention. See the case of Woolsery's Jill Wade.

Now compare the horseshoe shape imprint with that of the male dragonfly clasper which it uses to hold the female during mating.

But giant dragonflies can't exist, I hear you claim. Yet good eyewitness accounts abound. Here's one from 'Mysterious Universe':

Quote:
San Marcos, California

Wade stopped at the beach in Del Mar, California, on his way home from San Diego to San Marcos, on a lazy summer afternoon. He spent the rest of that June day surf fishing and arrived home after dark, around 9 p.m. “I relaxed, had a beer or two and went to my covered drive to clean my catch,” Wade said. “I completed that task and looked to the north at the rocky mountainside in the near distance.”

He didn’t expect to see what was there. “Above my neighbor’s homes across the street something was shimmering and moving rapidly side to side in a space of maybe 60 feet at 20 feet altitude,” Wade said. “I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me from the time earlier in the day when I spent time on the beach in the bright afternoon sun. I was wrong.”

Two shimmering, nearly transparent parallel lines about three-feet wide in the air moved silently and quickly side to side in the faint glow of a streetlight. “It was just wings and eyes,” he said. “The wings didn’t flap like a birds, it was more like a dragonfly, but dragonflies don’t grow three-foot wingspans, fly at night, or display what seemed to be some kind of intelligence like this thing did.”

The entity’s side-to-side movements encompassed about 60 feet in what Wade estimated was only a few seconds. Wade said the entity seemed to know he had seen it and it stopped in the air. “Whatever it was, it halted its side-to-side movement and seemed to focus on me,” he said.

Fear gripped Wade and he felt his hair rise from his scalp to his ankles. “I was sure it was a real thing, then I noticed the thing had big black eyes,” he said. “They weren’t friendly eyes at all.”

The entity quickly shot across the street toward Wade. He dropped to the pavement and it swooped over his head. “The thing was interested in me,” Wade said. “It was staring me down when it was across the street and either attacked or was trying to intimidate me, or who knows what, when it came at me.”

Wade moved from under the covered part of his drive to get a better look at the swooping thing. It was directly above his head. “I felt great fear,” Wade said. “I said to the thing out loud,’ I see you.’”

It moved again.

“It zipped back into view from the direction it had gone, and was looking directly down at me with the weird unblinking eyes,” he said. “It realized I was looking right at it, and it took off in a flash. It’s gone. For good, I hope.”

Strange but true? A giant male dragonfly was bouncing along on upright on it's tail, using it's wings for additional lift to clear walls, fences and to cross a river to continue on the other side in a straight line?

[P.S. I've just had to remove all the links because I have yet to make 15 posts]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Devonshire_Devil_Prints_1855.jpg (12.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpeg dragonfly-clasper.jpeg (3.8 KB, 1470 views)
File Type: jpg devils footprints woolsery.jpg (143.9 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 4th October 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2013, 11:14 PM   #2
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Devil's Footprints Fit Shape Of Male Giant Dragonfly Clasper

Insects don't tend to be very active during winter, as they are essentially cold-blooded. I do not believe a dragonfly or any other insect would be around to make the prints. Assuming the dragonfly mistakenly flew out of a warm building say, and landed in the snow, I don't think it would make it more than a meter or two before it fell into cold stasis, let alone across town and over the miles these footprints are typically claimed to travel.

I do not know how true it is, but at face value I find the account of the giant dragonfly to be both fascinating and terrifying.

Last edited by Checkmite; 4th October 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Insects don't tend to be very active during winter, as they are essentially cold-blooded. I do not believe a dragonfly or any other insect would be around to make the prints. Assuming the dragonfly mistakenly flew out of a warm building say, and landed in the snow, I don't think it would make it more than a meter or two before it fell into cold stasis, let alone across town and over the miles these footprints are typically claimed to travel.

I do not know how true it is, but at face value I find the account of the giant dragonfly to be both fascinating and terrifying.
This is a giant dragonfly-like insect though. It's obviously unique in that it has overcome the air-oxygen restrictions on the size of insects able to fly. I'm proposing that it has evolved a strategy of storing blood from other animals in the thick veins of it's wings. This would in effect make it "warm blooded".

I appreciate the fascination of the sighting. It is terrifying at first, but better the devil you know.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2013, 11:35 PM   #4
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

I would like to see your evidence.

But to be able to post links you need a minimum of posts.

Try posting here to up your total: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...splay.php?f=26
Ketyk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2013, 11:36 PM   #5
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Why would a dragon-fly.........any dragon fly, walk on its clasper, rather than using its 6 legs?

I think the witness to the monster dragon-fly thing ought to reveal what "a few beers" meant in actuality, and that local kids might be questioned about radio controlled model aircraft, before anyone gets too excited by this report.

Mike
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2013, 11:40 PM   #6
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

Hi MikeG. I thought I would give this a chance. It has been a while since I walked someone though the protocol of the site and the challenge.

I am rusty.

Last edited by Ketyk; 4th October 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Ketyk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th October 2013, 11:41 PM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

While I have no comment about the latest hypothesis, this was one of my favorite mysteries as a kid. I read the book, "This Baffling World" and the "Devil at Devonshire" was one of the stories.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 01:01 AM   #8
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't sound like Lucifer has been entirely ruled out.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 02:06 AM   #9
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

...And now I am expected to sleep with the thought Lucifer is in my closet?...
Old 5th October 2013, 03:29 AM   #10
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Why would a dragon-fly.........any dragon fly, walk on its clasper, rather than using its 6 legs?

I think the witness to the monster dragon-fly thing ought to reveal what "a few beers" meant in actuality, and that local kids might be questioned about radio controlled model aircraft, before anyone gets too excited by this report.

Mike
Good question. The answer is due to the number of trachea tubes expanding with increased size.

What Keeps Bugs from Being Bigger?

Quote:
Overall, they found that larger beetle species devote a disproportionately greater fraction of their body to tracheal tubes than do smaller species.

The team focused in particular on the passageways that lead from the body core to the head and to the legs. They reasoned that these orifices may be bottlenecks for tracheal tubes, limiting how much oxygen can be delivered to the extremities.

If the orifices to the legs limit beetle size, then why not just grow bigger openings? There may be genetic or developmental barriers that can't be overcome. Or, the issue may be mechanical. Insects wear their skeletons on the outside, and therefore many joints need to be narrow to work. Perhaps an oversized orifice would mean that the leg-body joint wouldn’t bend as well.

[P.S. Thanks Ketyk for the tip. I managed to get my posts up to 15]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg insect-trachea-tubes.jpg (20.0 KB, 1372 views)

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 5th October 2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 5th October 2013, 03:34 AM   #11
Alareth
Philosopher

Quote:
“I was sure it was a real thing, then I noticed the thing had big black eyes,” he said. “They weren’t friendly eyes at all.”

“It zipped back into view from the direction it had gone, and was looking directly down at me with the weird unblinking eyes,”
Considering dragonflies have disproportionately large compound eyes in comparison to the rest of their bodies, those descriptions of the creatures eyes don't seem to fit.
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 03:38 AM   #12
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
Considering dragonflies have disproportionately large compound eyes in comparison to the rest of their bodies, those descriptions of the creatures eyes don't seem to fit.
Why not? He saw it at night remember.

It's also a dragonfly-like species which has a common ancestor with the average sized dragonfly we are familiar with. So it will have differences.
Old 5th October 2013, 03:47 AM   #13
Alan Lowey
Muse

Here's a Centre For Fortean Zoology (CFZ) Investigation of the 2009 prints in the snow.

THE CFZ INVESTIGATES: Mysterious footprints in Woolsery

Notice how I think he's got the direction correct. It probably landed from over the bush and hopped towards the house and then back out down the garden.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Concave-devils-footprint.JPG (16.6 KB, 1365 views)

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 5th October 2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old 5th October 2013, 03:58 AM   #14
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

The likely effect of the cold seems plausible to me.

Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
This is a giant dragonfly-like insect though. It's obviously unique in that it has overcome the air-oxygen restrictions on the size of insects able to fly.

I'm proposing that it has evolved a strategy of storing blood from other animals in the thick veins of it's wings. This would in effect make it "warm blooded".
Do you have any evidence for this claim?

I appreciate the fascination of the sighting. It is terrifying at first, but better the devil you know.
You mean inventing a new species?

Last edited by catsmate; 5th October 2013 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 03:59 AM   #15
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

From the Daily Mail (!) story pictured above:
Quote:
...several scientists had seen pictures of the [5 inch long with a span of 11 to 17 inches] footprints and had varying opinions on what could be responsible including mink, rabbit, hare, sheep and a muntjac deer.
Mink, rabbits, hares, sheep and muntjacs are all found in Devon. Giant dragonflies, not so much.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 04:11 AM   #16
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Good question. The answer is.....
You were doing so well up to here.

......due to the number of trachea tubes expanding with increased size......
.......then you failed outright.

Bigger insects have more internal windpipes than smaller insects, do they? You'll need to link to something to convince me of that. But then you'll need to tell me what on earth the number of windpipes has to do with an insect choosing to walk on its clasper, rather than walking on its legs. Even if I had 27 windpipes I am pretty sure I'd still walk on my feet, rather than on, say, my jaws.

A couple of links to some published science supporting your twaddle case would be good.

Last edited by MikeG; 5th October 2013 at 04:16 AM.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 04:17 AM   #17
MrQhuest
Thinker

I'm trying to picture an unknown species of giant dragonfly, hopping along in a straight line, on its tail, in the middle of winter.
I know its an argument from ignorance, but its just not working for me.
Do normal dragonflies exhibit this behavior?
Are there any other animals that leave these strange horseshoe shaped tracks?

MrQ
MrQhuest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 04:25 AM   #18
Alan Lowey
Muse

Here's the link to a published paper Increase in tracheal investment with beetle size supports hypothesis of oxygen limitation on insect gigantism

This supports my hypothesis that if the eyewitness sightings of giant dragonflies are correct, then the leg segmentation of the exoskeleton wouldn't allow sufficient flexibility for normal walking. Therefore the male giant dragonfly, if injured or exhausted or suffering from 'insect frostbite', would have to hop on it's tail using it's wings for assistance.

I'm assuming that the clasper-less females would migrate to sunnier climates and the male stay to defend their prime den sites and territory.

Longest insect migration ever as dragonflies fly 11,000-mile round-trip over ocean
Old 5th October 2013, 04:28 AM   #19
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by MrQhuest View Post
I'm trying to picture an unknown species of giant dragonfly, hopping along in a straight line, on its tail, in the middle of winter.
I know its an argument from ignorance, but its just not working for me.
Do normal dragonflies exhibit this behavior?
Are there any other animals that leave these strange horseshoe shaped tracks?

MrQ
No other animals known could make the tracks. I'm proposing a new species which only has a common ancestor with the known species of dragonfly.

It takes a while to imagine that this is a possibility, I agree. It's the best one there is imv. Give me something better which can explain the long enduring mystery. There isn't one.
Old 5th October 2013, 04:30 AM   #20
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

This supports my hypothesis that if the eyewitness sightings of giant dragonflies are correct . . .
And if me Auntie had balls . . .
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 04:36 AM   #21
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Thanks. That's a start, at least. However, a quick perusal of the paper suggests that we are talking increased size, not increased number, when it comes to tracheas, contrary to your stated theory.

This supports my hypothesis that if the eyewitness sightings of giant dragonflies are correct,
You mean your one drunk eyewitness?

No record of giant dragonflies for the last god knows how many million years, not one specimen in a museum anywhere, not a single report by a biologist, not even one blurry photo.......nothing other than the blatherings of one drunk guy. That's not a good start to your hypothesis, now is it?

then the leg segmentation of the exoskeleton wouldn't allow sufficient flexibility for normal walking. Therefore the male giant dragonfly, if injured or exhausted or suffering from 'insect frostbite', would have to hop on it's tail using it's wings for assistance.
Makey-uppey tosh

I'm assuming that the clasper-less females would migrate to sunnier climates and the male stay to defend their prime den sites and territory.
Makey-uppey tosh

Quote:
Wonderful what biologists can find out when they study the real world, isn't it?
Old 5th October 2013, 04:36 AM   #22
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
And if me Auntie had balls . . .
It's more common than you think.

Giant Insect Seen on Passenger Flight

Quote:
Flight X. A giant beetle. Its green shiny body opened up to show a pair of four feet veiny wings, flapping up and down at an incredibly slow speed.

That’s what Marco Gessati, a 32-year-old doctor, said he and about ten other people saw during a flight from Rome to Boston. For privacy reasons, the flight number and the airline have been omitted. Let’s just name it “Flight X.”

“I know it’s hard to believe,” explained Gessati, loudly over the phone with a strong Italian accent. “I know what I saw, you know? I have never seen anything like this. Big, big insect. Out of this world.” He had finally agreed to a phone interview after a copious e-mail correspondence. But there was too much information to be shared and he had something else to share with me: Sketches of the creature. We decided to meet at a restaurant in Boston.
Old 5th October 2013, 04:38 AM   #23
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

The horseshoe shape is supported by the drawing but not by the photographs, either the Daily Mail story or the photograph in post 13 which appears to be a cloven hoof print.

The photo in post 13 looks very like a cloven hoof narrowed at the top, just like a muntjac. See for example: http://www.britishwildlife.wikia.com...t_Idenfication

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 04:39 AM   #24
Pup
Philosopher

Here's a Centre For Fortean Zoology (CFZ) Investigation of the 2009 prints in the snow.

Notice how I think he's got the direction correct. It probably landed from over the bush and hopped towards the house and then back out down the garden.

I'm not where I can hear the video's sound, but I don't get it. Those are obviously slightly melted tracks of a squirrel or rabbit or some similar animal that hops by landing on its front feet, then placing its back feet just ahead and springing off. At 2:03 you can see a good example, the print toward the bottom of the screen, where the impressions of the small front feet are separately visible from the longer back feet.

The melting snow has distorted most of them, blending the four footfalls into what looks like a single print, but one can see that the snow is starting to melt and show the grass in other areas.

If anything, I think it solves the original mystery by showing that small four-footed tracks can look enough like hooves in melting snow, that that's probably what the original "devil's footprints" were, and why they were so widespread.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 04:41 AM   #25
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

No other animals known could make the tracks.
And you know this exactly how?

I'm proposing a new species which only has a common ancestor with the known species of dragonfly.
In other words you're making something up with no evidence in support. Makey-uppey tosh.

It takes a while to imagine that this is a possibility, I agree. It's the best one there is imv. Give me something better which can explain the long enduring mystery. There isn't one.
Yep, this is what this is all about.

Oh, and the onus is on you to back up your claim, not on us to provide better alternatives. Those making spurious extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and all that. You don't have the slightest shred of evidence, and worse than wasting your time, you are wasting ours too.
Old 5th October 2013, 04:41 AM   #26
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
A giant, warm blooded, snow traveling dragon fly that uses it's tail as a pogo stick rather than flying, huh? I think the devil taking a winters stroll over hill and dale makes at least as much sense, if not a tiny bit more.
Old 5th October 2013, 04:45 AM   #27
Alan Lowey
Muse

You're all wrong. No known animal tracks fit the bill. No known animal has been seen making the tracks.

There's even been an eyewitness who has photographed the giant dragonfly with glowing wings. This hypothesis can even explain the whole UFO saga.

http://www.theufochronicles.com/2012...haped-ufo.html

Silent, Glowing Dragonfly-Shaped UFO Photographed Over Asheville, North Carolina

Edited by jhunter1163:  Changed hotlink to regular link.

Last edited by jhunter1163; 5th October 2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 5th October 2013, 04:45 AM   #28
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Pup View Post
.......Those are obviously slightly melted tracks of a squirrel or rabbit or some similar animal that hops by landing on its front feet, then placing its back feet just ahead and springing off. ......
Like these rabbit tracks.

Or these.

Last edited by MikeG; 5th October 2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 5th October 2013, 04:48 AM   #29
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

From the link:
Quote:
Marco Gessati is an intelligent man. Why anyone would make up something like this is beyond me, specially when the story comes from a doctor.
The alternatives are not either truth or lie. There's being honestly mistaken (perhaps seeing a tiny insect magnified somehow), or a hypnagogic/hypnopompic hallucination, which are incredibly real and detailed, or exaggerating something mundane through frequent retelling, to name just three further explanations.
Quote:
I wasn’t able to contact other witnesses from Flight X.
Odd, since Dr Gessati asserted that he had an email address for another person who had seen this bug.

I am baffled by the insistence of keeping the airline and flight number secret "for privacy reasons", but splashing Dr Gessati's name all over the report. It's almost as if the reporter didn't want anyone else on that flight to come forward to confirm or deny Dr Gessati's claim.

Old 5th October 2013, 04:50 AM   #30
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
A giant, warm blooded, snow traveling dragon fly that uses it's tail as a pogo stick rather than flying, huh? I think the devil taking a winters stroll over hill and dale makes at least as much sense, if not a tiny bit more.
LOL. At least you have the pogo stick imagery correct.

It's probably a matter of one's own upbringing and belief system. If you're religious then perhaps a supernatural cause is more probable. If you're an atheist, then a new species of giant dragonfly is more likely, despite the bizarreness.

It's bizarre beyond bizarre, I know. It takes time to get used to.
Old 5th October 2013, 04:51 AM   #31
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You're all wrong. No known animal tracks fit the bill. No known animal has been seen making the tracks.......
Other than a rabbit, you mean?

But rather than a rabbit, you insist on inventing a new species, which despite having wings and legs you propose hops in a way no animal is known to have hopped in the entire history of the planet. If I proposed this, I am fairly sure that someone would advise me to only post whilst sober, or wait until I was at least 12 before joining a forum.
Old 5th October 2013, 04:55 AM   #32
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Oh joy! More blurry photos with no way of determining how far away from the camera the object is. Perhaps this thread should be merged with one of ufology's, we did discuss the impossibility of assessing scale of objects without knowing the distance thereto on that thread at some length.

Several plausible theories have been put forward to explain the actual photographs of the tracks. The drawing of the tracks, however, appears to be as accurate as Lowell's Martian canal drawings.

Old 5th October 2013, 04:56 AM   #33
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Yes, cognitive errors/biases are quite common.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 04:57 AM   #34
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

It's probably a matter of one's own upbringing and belief system. If you're religious then perhaps a supernatural cause is more probable. If you're an atheist, then a new species of giant dragonfly is more likely, despite the bizarreness.

You'll find that folks around here are used to wild-ass claims.
Old 5th October 2013, 04:58 AM   #35
Alareth
Philosopher

There's even been an eyewitness who has photographed the giant dragonfly with glowing wings. This hypothesis can even explain the whole UFO saga.

Silent, Glowing Dragonfly-Shaped UFO Photographed Over Asheville, North Carolina

The person who took that photo says it was the size of a jetliner.

That's a damn big dragonfly.
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 05:12 AM   #36
HighRiser
Graduate Poster

I don't know how much time you spend out of Mom's basement outdoors, but if I came across tracks like these, my first thought would be rabbit.

My second thought would be rabbit stew. It's hungry work; tromping through the snow.

Science is not hopelessly hobbled just because it knows the difference between fact and imagination. -JayUtah
HighRiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 05:41 AM   #37
Alareth
Philosopher

OMG ... I just had a horrifying thought.

If Megaguirus is real; then what about big G?

Someone warn Tokyo ASAP!
Old 5th October 2013, 05:44 AM   #38
HighRiser
Graduate Poster

OMG ... I just had a horrifying thought.

If Megaguirus is real; then what about big G?

Someone warn Tokyo ASAP!
Mothra is tame now and protects the home islands, right? Tokyo will be fine.

Science is not hopelessly hobbled just because it knows the difference between fact and imagination. -JayUtah
HighRiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 05:55 AM   #39
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

You know, I see a spectacular SciFi Channel movie here, it just needs sharks somehow. I know, make the giant dragonfly eat Sharks! What could be scarier than a giant man-eating-shark eating Giant Dragonfly?
Nothing!
That is until, you see it hop around on it's tail like a pogo stick in snow, because you were thinking cold would kill it, but it doesn't! It just makes it hopping mad!
Now that's SCARY!!!

Sharknado? Ha!
Our Giant Hopping Dragonfly Eats Sharks out of tornados!
Top that!
Old 5th October 2013, 05:56 AM   #40
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It is true that a giant dragonfly is not a "paranormal" or supernatural explanation, and is therefore more credible than, say, Old Nick right out of the gate when it comes to the culprit behind the footprints.

But at the same time, other non-supernatural explanations - for instance, small animals like rabbits whose tracks in melting snow look very similar to the "footprints" - are in turn more credible than giant dragonflies, because they're already widely known to exist and behave in the way necessary to cause the tracks.

The thing is, you've got an uphill battle here. You've got to not only establish the factual existence of the dragonflies, but you've got to explain why they would be structurally identical to smaller versions of themselves but display vastly different behaviors that don't seem to make sense. For instance, again taking them at face value, the witness reports of giant dragonflies do not describe them as hopping about on their claspers or flying during winter with repeated contact with the snow; so you must explain why you feel they are describing the same creature you are theorizing. Likewise, most blood-feeding insects keep the blood and other food they eat in their gut; you must explain why you think this food-blood would for instance be stored in other parts of the body where the insect's own hemolymph would be such as in the wing veins. Another problem would be how the insect keeps this blood warm enough to keep itself warm enough to be active during the winter.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal