ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cryptozoology , devil's footprints , ufos

Old 15th October 2013, 06:42 PM   #361
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
There's a better one of the 'giant' dragonfly on two frames of google-maps:

Frame 1
Frame 2

Zoom in on Frame 2 to see how big it seems to be. Bigger than ordinary or is it just an illusion?
Ahhh...if only you were interested in rational debate...but alas...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 08:32 PM   #362
Alan Lowey
Muse

Frame 1
Frame 2

Zoom in on Frame 2 to see how big it seems to be. Bigger than ordinary or is it just an illusion?

I've just realized that there's more than one flying winged entity. If you pan right on 'Frame 1' a blurry winged image can be seen which looks further away.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 08:47 PM   #363
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
There's very little oxygen at 30K and it's very cold up there. Well below zero.

Yes, agreed. It shows how remarkable evolution is imv. It's oxygen efficiency must be very high. I must also generate a lot of residual heat from it's "breathing":

Quote:
Other research indicates that insects really do breathe, with "rapid cycles of tracheal compression and expansion".

Source: Meganeura

Quote:
"Insects are known to exchange respiratory gases in their system of tracheal tubes by using either diffusion or changes in internal pressure that are produced through body motion or hemolymph circulation. However, the inability to see inside living insects has limited our understanding of their respiration mechanisms. We used a synchrotron beam to obtain x-ray videos of living, breathing insects. Beetles, crickets, and ants exhibited rapid cycles of tracheal compression and expansion in the head and thorax. Body movements and hemolymph circulation cannot account for these cycles; therefore, our observations demonstrate a previously unknown mechanism of respiration in insects analogous to the inflation and deflation of vertebrate lungs."

Source: Tracheal respiration in insects visualized with synchrotron x-ray imaging

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 15th October 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 08:50 PM   #364
dropzone
Graduate Poster

Maybe another normal dragonfly. They grow 'em big in Canada, but not big enough to lift anything bigger than a prairie dog.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 08:53 PM   #365
truethat
Banned

dude wouldn't deer hooves make more sense than a giant dragonfly in the freezing cold

http://www.aviation-for-kids.com/dragonfly.html

Last edited by truethat; 15th October 2013 at 08:56 PM.
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 08:56 PM   #366
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by truethat View Post
dude wouldn't deer hooves make more sense than a giant dragonfly in the freezing cold

Deer hooves aren't horseshoe shaped and 4 inches by 3 inches. Neither do deer walk along rooftops, jump fences and cross rivers in a perfectly straight line in a single file track all on their own.

ETA: The RC dragonfly vid was interesting. It could be used to attract UFO attention perhaps. P.S. I wouldn't advise anyone to use these at dusk.

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 15th October 2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 15th October 2013, 08:58 PM   #367
truethat
Banned

yes they do.
truethat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 08:58 PM   #368
dropzone
Graduate Poster

Old Scratch, himself, is starting to make more sense than our OP's giant dragonfly does, as he piles on more Rube Goldberg "features" to try to get it to operate.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 09:04 PM   #369
truethat
Banned

http://spoonful.com/crafts/can-do-stilts
Old 15th October 2013, 09:09 PM   #370
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know how much strength you need to hold on to something moving at 500mph, or to open your wings in that situation, or what the wind chill is at -35C with 500mph winds, but I don't want to find out.

I'm just glad these dragonflies apparently haven't decided to take over.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 09:15 PM   #371
Alan Lowey
Muse

Here's more scientific evidence which corroborates the hypothesis:

Quote:
The rapid tracheal compression in insects signifies a previously undescribed active mechanism of respiration. We observed other respiratory mechanisms, such as abdominal pumping (4,9), autoventilation (6), and circulatory fluid motion. However, these mechanisms cannot account for the rapid changes in head and thorax volume shown by synchrotron imaging. Tracheal compression in insects functions as a mechanism of air convection much like that of vertebrate lungs. The resting lung ventilation of a human, for example, is about 10% but may reach 75% during exercise; similar values have been measured for birds (6, 12). The insects studied here with 50% tidal volume were likely respiring at high rates, perhaps similar to the rates used during exercise, stress, or flight (3,13). A second function of tracheal compression is to aid oxygen diffusion to tissues. If tracheal compression occurs with the spiracles closed, increased pressure will raise the diffusion gradient of oxygen across the tracheole-tissue boundary.

The mechanism of tracheal compression is likely driven by contraction of jaw muscles or limb muscles, causing elevated pressure inside the exoskeleton (14–17). Upon relaxation of the muscle, the tracheae expand due to the support from rings of taenidia in the tracheal wall (1) in a manner similar to recoil aspiration in air-breathing fishes (18). This mechanism implies the linking of locomotor muscles to respiration, which has been found to be widespread among animals (19).

Active tracheal breathing in the head and thorax may have played an important role in the evolution of terrestrial locomotion, running performance, and flight in insects, and it may be a prerequisite for oxygen delivery to complex sensory systems and active feeding mechanisms. Tracheal compression appears widespread but not ubiquitous among insect lineages. We observed this mechanism of active tracheal respiration in some members of diverse groups of endopterygote insects (beetles, butterflies, flies) as well as in Hemiptera (bugs), the Orthoptera (cricket), Dermaptera (earwigs), Blattodea (cockroaches), and more basal insect lineages such as Odonata (dragonflies). The spectacular diversity of insects likely includes a range of respiratory mechanisms, some of which depend on the compression and expansion of the tracheal system in a lung-like manner as the means to exchange gases with the environment.

Source

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 15th October 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 15th October 2013, 09:19 PM   #372
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I don't know how much strength you need to hold on to something moving at 500mph, or to open your wings in that situation, or what the wind chill is at -35C with 500mph winds, but I don't want to find out.

I'm just glad these dragonflies apparently haven't decided to take over.

Yes, they must be very impressive beasts. Their simplistic intellect, despite the ability to stimulate the right hand side of our brains which deals with negative emotions, makes me more at ease with the idea. Better than ET anyway.
Old 15th October 2013, 09:25 PM   #373
truethat
Banned

http://scienceray.com/biology/higher...ant-dragonfly/
Old 15th October 2013, 09:42 PM   #374
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

What's your point?
Old 15th October 2013, 09:57 PM   #375
truethat
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fVe0c_ghSo
Old 15th October 2013, 11:33 PM   #376
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

So you think these things actually exist?

If so, why don't you just say so, rather than just posting YouTube links?

Last edited by AdMan; 15th October 2013 at 11:37 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 11:43 PM   #377
truethat
Banned

Because I don't think so. Why don't you take a second and freakin' read it and you'll see the first one I posted was a motorized helicopter and this one is a KITE. Hello.

The hoof marks can be made with can stilt prints. You are seriously freakin' suggesting that I believe in giant dragonflies that fly in the snow even though I already said it wasn't possible?

Why are you asking me to post something when you obviously didn't even bother to read what I DID post.

Last edited by truethat; 15th October 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 16th October 2013, 02:23 AM   #378
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Because I don't think so. Why don't you take a second and freakin' read it and you'll see the first one I posted was a motorized helicopter and this one is a KITE. Hello.

The hoof marks can be made with can stilt prints. You are seriously freakin' suggesting that I believe in giant dragonflies that fly in the snow even though I already said it wasn't possible?

Why are you asking me to post something when you obviously didn't even bother to read what I DID post.
Because you posted links with not a word to describe or even hint what was at the other end of the link.

I didn't look at them either. I never do look at random link with no description. I think you have been here long enough to know a lot of other posters won't look at an anonymous link.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 02:26 AM   #379
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Frame 1
Frame 2

Are they small or far away?
How can you tell from those pictures?

Small, Far Away!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 05:16 AM   #380
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Deer hooves aren't horseshoe shaped and 4 inches by 3 inches. Neither do deer walk along rooftops, jump fences and cross rivers in a perfectly straight line in a single file track all on their own.
None of the photographs is of horseshoe shaped tracks, only the drawing is. Sadly, drawings may not reflect what the artist actually sees (see Lowell's Martian canals) but what they want to see. You have not posted any evidence to support horseshoe shaped tracks.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Are they small or far away?
How can you tell from those pictures?

Small, Far Away!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
This thread needed Father Ted from the start.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 06:18 AM   #381
truethat
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Because you posted links with not a word to describe or even hint what was at the other end of the link.

I didn't look at them either. I never do look at random link with no description. I think you have been here long enough to know a lot of other posters won't look at an anonymous link.
Then don't tell me what I'm saying. If you aren't going to bother to look at what I've posted, don't debate me on it.
Old 16th October 2013, 06:20 AM   #382
truethat
Banned

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
None of the photographs is of horseshoe shaped tracks, only the drawing is. Sadly, drawings may not reflect what the artist actually sees (see Lowell's Martian canals) but what they want to see. You have not posted any evidence to support horseshoe shaped tracks.

This thread needed Father Ted from the start.
This is true.
Old 16th October 2013, 06:54 AM   #383
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
None of the photographs is of horseshoe shaped tracks..

You're tediously wrong as usual I'm afraid:

Ancient legend of Satan's visit reawakened by footprints in the snow

Attached Images
File Type: jpg devil_footprint-in-snow.jpg (46.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg devil_footprint-in-snow2.jpg (51.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 16th October 2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 16th October 2013, 07:02 AM   #384
truethat
Banned

That doesn't look horseshoe shaped to me at all. It looks elliptical. And it's ONE print.
Old 16th October 2013, 07:16 AM   #385
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

That doesn't look horseshoe shaped to me at all. It looks elliptical. And it's ONE [distorted] print [in partially melted snow].
Just had to add a bit of pertinent detail
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 07:51 AM   #386
Biscuit
Philosopher

Yes, they must be very impressive beasts. Their simplistic intellect, despite the ability to stimulate the right hand side of our brains which deals with negative emotions, makes me more at ease with the idea. Better than ET anyway.
This has to be one of the best responses I have ever read. Everything that makes your theory impossible merely adds to the legendary qualities that these massive hoppers have. Don't stop believing, hold on to that feeling.
Old 16th October 2013, 08:13 AM   #387
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Those snow prints appear to have toe prints to the 'front' of them; which may be a feature of the melting snow but may be something which shows that the horseshoe shape is perceived only if one ignores all the features which are not present in horseshoes.

Just a giant bug, floating around in the fog
It took the midnight air to fly anywhere
Just needs a bloody meal, impossible it could be real
It took the midnight air to fly everywhere

A poster on a sceptics' site
With blurry links to join a fight
Add more woo ev'ry day and night
It goes on and on and on and on

Drunkards looking, up and down a boulevard
Their sightings fuel the madness in the night
Streetlights, airplanes, anywhere they have no camera
It's hiding somewhere in the night.

Posting more to prove it true,
Everybody thinks it's woo,
Urban legends he'll exaggerate,
Oh, just one more time

Some will laugh, some will cry
Some of us will wonder why
Oh, the threads they never end
They go on and on and on and on

Don't stop believin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Insect sheeple

(Apologies to Journey)

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 08:39 AM   #388
truethat
Banned

This looks like a kids set of boot prints. What's the deal? LOL
Old 16th October 2013, 10:30 AM   #389
Biscuit
Philosopher

This looks like a kids set of boot prints. What's the deal? LOL
It's possible the giganticus Anisoptera stole a pair of children's boots in order to disguise it movements. Lets add breaking and entering and petty theft to the creatures abilities.
Old 16th October 2013, 10:38 AM   #390
HighRiser
Graduate Poster

Alright, I've got it sorted out. The giant blood-sucking insects clasp a frozen bunny in their claspers and use it to disguise their tracks. Sometimes they'll clasp the frozen bunnies tail-first to further obscure their trails.

Science is not hopelessly hobbled just because it knows the difference between fact and imagination. -JayUtah
HighRiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 10:47 AM   #391
Bad vibe
Critical Thinker

Had you shown me those tracks without comment I would have said "rabbit" there distorted from snow melt but I'd still say rabbit.
http://m1.i.pbase.com/g6/00/517600/2...1.LMnUz2hg.jpg
Bad vibe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 01:06 PM   #392
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
That is not a giant dragonfly, it's a giant house fly.
Everyone knows that giant house flies grow to be three or four times as large as giant dragonflies.
I saw a giant housefly the other day but I can't figure out whether or not the housefly was big or I was small.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 01:11 PM   #393
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by tsig View Post
I saw a giant housefly the other day but I can't figure out whether or not the housefly was big or I was small.
"Heyyy...are you small?"
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 01:17 PM   #394
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Originally Posted by Bad vibe View Post
Had you shown me those tracks without comment I would have said "rabbit" there distorted from snow melt but I'd still say rabbit.
http://m1.i.pbase.com/g6/00/517600/2...1.LMnUz2hg.jpg
Yep, rabbit. I've seen rabbit tracks in the snow from fresh made to almost completely melted and those are rabbit tracks.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 01:46 PM   #395
Wolrab
Illuminator

Evolution rocks! Storing higher life forms' blood in gigantic wings is the very best way to store heat. All the extra surface area of a large flat area that beats several times a minute in the cold winter air is a wonderful way to radiate heat...erm...what?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 05:51 PM   #396
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
"Heyyy...are you small?"
No, I'm tall! I'm tall!
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 07:12 PM   #397
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Evolution rocks! Storing higher life forms' blood in gigantic wings is the very best way to store heat. All the extra surface area of a large flat area that beats several times a minute in the cold winter air is a wonderful way to radiate heat...erm...what?

The blood filled set of wings could be held permanently against the body. The other pair could be used for gliding/pumping usage. Warmth would be created from the uber-rapid tracheal compression:

Quote:
The mechanism of tracheal compression is likely driven by contraction of jaw muscles or limb muscles, causing elevated pressure inside the exoskeleton.
Old 16th October 2013, 08:30 PM   #398
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
No, I'm tall! I'm tall!
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2013, 11:18 PM   #399
Alan Lowey
Muse

On the subject of identifiable strange tracks in the snow, I came upon this photograph below. It shows three 'toes' with a large pad and appears to make short bipedal steps.

It made me think of the humanoid insect-type seen at the river fishing incidents given in the thread some time ago. Could these be the prints of the so called 'mantis-man'?

Notice how they resemble the so called 'lizard man' tracks seen here:

Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp

This video of a 2011 incident shows an investigator, a former sheriff, with photos of identical vehicle damage from 1988:

Is the Lizard Man Back in Lee County?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lizard3.JPG (24.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 16th October 2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 17th October 2013, 06:50 AM   #400
GT/CS
Illuminator

Please don't derail the dragonfly thread with Lizard Man nonsense.
If you want to discuss Lizard Man start a new thread.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal