ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cryptozoology , devil's footprints , ufos

Reply
Old 5th October 2013, 12:09 PM   #81
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 26,232
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I think it's safe to say that you'd never get a phrase like "endowed with the power of ubiquity" in a modern newspaper.
And it's a pity too.

Meanwhile, this new beastie needs a proper name. I vote for "Pogomofo". Big, bouncy, and dangerous. May or may not eat sharks.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 12:24 PM   #82
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Moderator
 
Agatha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 11,634
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
That giant beetle seen by the guy on an airliner. Did he see it outside the aircraft while it was in flight?

That's a hell of a fast beetle!
Apparently so!
__________________
Not to put too fine a point on it, say I'm the only bee in your bonnet. Make a little birdhouse in your soul.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 01:13 PM   #83
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Planet X
Posts: 25,119
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
And it's a pity too.

Meanwhile, this new beastie needs a proper name. I vote for "Pogomofo". Big, bouncy, and dangerous. May or may not eat sharks.
I think it jumped one.
__________________
"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 02:19 PM   #84
Ersby
Fortean
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,872
The footprints were not all identical, nor were they the same distance apart, which indicates several different animals. The one thing they all had in common was a rain fall in the area followed by a freeze which would've changed the footprints of various common animals into something different.
__________________
"Once a man admits complete and unshakeable faith in his own integrity, he is in an excellent frame of mind to be approached by con men." David W. Maurer, "The Big Con"
Ersby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 03:21 PM   #85
Wolrab
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,020
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
He's right! Can't you fools see that this is a genetically-engineered cross between a Bigfoot and a dragonfly? It's Bigfly!
The way it uses its clasper to walk, a more apt name may be Dragonfoot.
__________________
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 03:43 PM   #86
Robrob
Philosopher
 
Robrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,497
Originally Posted by Ersby View Post
The footprints were not all identical, nor were they the same distance apart, which indicates several different animals. The one thing they all had in common was a rain fall in the area followed by a freeze which would've changed the footprints of various common animals into something different.
^This.

Any use of partially melted snowprints as "evidence" says more about the claimer than the claim.
__________________
Mister Earl: "The plural of bollocks is not evidence."
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 04:42 PM   #87
Alareth
Philosopher
 
Alareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 7,682
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
The way it uses its clasper to walk, a more apt name may be Dragonfoot.
An abdomenopod
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 06:02 PM   #88
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
An abdomenopod
AnisHOPtera hibernalis
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 06:13 PM   #89
TjW
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 11,097
Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
The way it uses its clasper to walk, a more apt name may be Dragonfoot.
Perhaps the Yurassis Dragon?
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 06:20 PM   #90
GT/CS
Illuminator
 
GT/CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Inland NW
Posts: 4,774
Sorry if I missed it but how large would this dragonfly need to be for it to make tracks that large?

Dragonflies make a lot of noise when they fly so wouldn't this monster make an incredible amount of racket?
__________________
Normal in a weird way.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 06:33 PM   #91
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,691
Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Sorry if I missed it but how large would this dragonfly need to be for it to make tracks that large?

Dragonflies make a lot of noise when they fly so wouldn't this monster make an incredible amount of racket?
It evolved silent flight.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 06:34 PM   #92
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Sorry if I missed it but how large would this dragonfly need to be for it to make tracks that large?

Dragonflies make a lot of noise when they fly so wouldn't this monster make an incredible amount of racket?
Three and four foot wingspans have been reported. I'm proposing that the wings aren't used for flight in the way that an everyday dragonfly does. I'm proposing that they carry blood from their prey in the thick veins in order to increase oxygen uptake. I'm proposing that they fly effortlessly and silently by an evolved air-propulsion system of the their all-the-way-through trachea tubes.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 06:37 PM   #93
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Here are our choices:
  1. It was Satan that made the tracks.
  2. It was a new species, undocumented before or since, that made the tracks.
  3. It was a known animal that made the tracks.
  4. It was a prank that made the tracks.

I think we can safely rule out number one, since Satan doesn't exist. We can rule out number two because the proposed creature is a giant insect that supposedly travels using a mode of travel seen in no other creature anywhere else in the world. And unless someone comes forward admitting to making the tracks we can rule out number four. Which leaves us with number three.
Okay, thanks for the sensible post. You now need to identify a UK animal which leaves horseshoe concave tracks in the snow which measure around "four inches long, three inches across".

P.S. the tracks have also been found in soft earth and sand which refutes the suggestion that the snow has deformed the size and shape.

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 5th October 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 06:38 PM   #94
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
Three and four foot wingspans have been reported. I'm proposing that the wings aren't used for flight in the way that an everyday dragonfly does. I'm proposing that they carry blood from their prey in the thick veins in order to increase oxygen uptake. I'm proposing that they fly effortlessly and silently by an evolved air-propulsion system of the their all-the-way-through trachea tubes.
More makey-uppy stuff? DO you have any evidence at all for this idea of a predator using blood taken from its victims as an oxygen transporter? Any analogue in reality, at all?

Any evidence for Anishoptera's effortless, silent, air-propulsion flight system?
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 06:42 PM   #95
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
More makey-uppy stuff? DO you have any evidence at all for this idea of a predator using blood taken from its victims as an oxygen transporter? Any analogue in reality, at all?

Any evidence for Anishoptera's effortless, silent, air-propulsion flight system?
It's called making a hypothesis. Something that is just about possible which fits all the available evidence.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 06:46 PM   #96
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,691
A big dragonfly would attack big prey.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 06:51 PM   #97
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
A big dragonfly would attack big prey.
This analysis would fit with the cattle mutilation phenomenon.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 06:56 PM   #98
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,691
Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
This analysis would fit with the cattle mutilation phenomenon.
Except that the cattle mutilation phenomenon, isn't.

Now we are supposed to accept giant unfindable apes, and giant unfindable dragonflies? Both roaming merrily around in secret?

Are the dragonflies feeding on the apes?
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:00 PM   #99
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 21,026
I do not think an air-propulsion system of the type you hypothesize is actually possible.

There are many insects which have evolved not to use their wings but still have wings - however, these always turn out to be vestigial, much smaller than wings on related species that still use them. It seems unlikely that, given this other type of propulsion, the giant dragonflies would retain large wings similar in proportion and shape to those of dragonflies that use their wings. It also seems highly unlikely that an insect species would evolve an independent method of flight when it already started out with perfectly functional wings that get the job done.

The notion of the dragonflies storing food-blood in its wing-veins presents a problem I've already explained - no other insect, including those with vestigial wings, stores food outside of their digestive system - nor do blood-feeding insects use the eaten blood for oxygen delivery. Insects, including those that feed on animal blood, have their own special blood-like substance called hemolymph which performs these functions. Hemolymph fills the insect's exoskeleton (and those wing-veins), and is kept circulating slowly through the body using a series of tiny pumps.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:05 PM   #100
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Except that the cattle mutilation phenomenon, isn't
Just keep to the topic in hand please. The cattle mutilation phenomenon is very real and in Brazil it has even spread to human beings.

UFO-Related Homicide in Brazil: The Complete Story [from International UFO Magazine]


P.S. Beware very graphic images at bottom of page.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:06 PM   #101
learner
Graduate Poster
 
learner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,679
I watched the Brown Hawker video and remain unalarmed. That's no Ariel to the mothership, just a bit of fluff or something.
What did concern me was at 7:30 there is clear sight of caged rocks. Is there some concern that they may shape shift into a menacing beast? Someone is on the Ball and I approve.
Better safe than sorry
__________________
"I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous" - My Mate Dave
" How do you expect me to use my initiative if you wont tell me what to do?" - Dave again
learner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:07 PM   #102
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I do not think an air-propulsion system of the type you hypothesize is actually possible.

There are many insects which have evolved not to use their wings but still have wings - however, these always turn out to be vestigial, much smaller than wings on related species that still use them. It seems unlikely that, given this other type of propulsion, the giant dragonflies would retain large wings similar in proportion and shape to those of dragonflies that use their wings. It also seems highly unlikely that an insect species would evolve an independent method of flight when it already started out with perfectly functional wings that get the job done.

The notion of the dragonflies storing food-blood in its wing-veins presents a problem I've already explained - no other insect, including those with vestigial wings, stores food outside of their digestive system - nor do blood-feeding insects use the eaten blood for oxygen delivery. Insects, including those that feed on animal blood, have their own special blood-like substance called hemolymph which performs these functions. Hemolymph fills the insect's exoskeleton (and those wing-veins), and is kept circulating slowly through the body using a series of tiny pumps.

There's a first time for everything. The Dragonflies are unique in that they had a hundred million years before any flying competition evolved in the form of birds and bats.

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 5th October 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:20 PM   #103
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing
 
LTC8K6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Directly under a deadly chemtrail
Posts: 18,691
I think we're being trolled here...

I'm out.
__________________
What a fool believes, no wise man has the power to reason away. What seems to be, is always better than nothing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:25 PM   #104
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
It's called making a hypothesis. Something that is just about possible which fits all the available evidence.
It's called "asking for evidence to support completely OTW assertions."

So, I ask again: do you have any evidence, even evidence by analogy, if anything resembling a mechanism whereby a predator could isolate blood from prey of a different species, and store it for oxygen transport? Without even the tawdriest hint of a suggestion as to how you think it might work,it is not a hypothesis; it isn't even a SWAG; it isn't even wrong.

The same goes for the super-duper-aero-stealth jet drive...what analogues do you see? How do you propose it might work? By what remotely plausible mechanism might it be wrought?

Not to mention: What is the largest insect currently demonstrated to exist? How does it locomote? Why do you, personally, think that might be? How large would your proposed Anishoptera be, to make the tailprints you claim it, and only it, could make?

Further, you have the fundamental problem of all cryptozooid fanciers: IF there were, in fact, a viable population of giant, butt-pogoing dragonflies out there, where have they been? Where are the egg cases, the discarded exoskeletons, the partially-eaten remains? Why is the only "evidence" for its existence a few widely-scattered tailprint trails (granting them as "tailprints" only arguendo)?

Seriously: a dragonfly big enough to "mutilate cattle" exists, but has never been seen?

I am truly interested in your answers.
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 5th October 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:29 PM   #105
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
Just keep to the topic in hand please. The cattle mutilation phenomenon is very real and in Brazil it has even spread to human beings.

UFO-Related Homicide in Brazil: The Complete Story [from International UFO Magazine]


P.S. Beware very graphic images at bottom of page.
Are you actually claiming that chupacabra is not only real, but is, in fact, a giant butt-pogoing dragonfly?
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:30 PM   #106
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 21,026
Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
There's a first time for everything. The Dragonflies are unique in that they had a hundred million years before any flying competition evolved in the form of birds and bats.
That's true; but the fossil record shows that they didn't change much in all that time, except for getting smaller.

There is a first time for everything; but hypothesis isn't anything-goes speculation. it's informed theorizing.

For example, looking at the "footprints" and saying "those kind of look like they might've been made by the claspers of a giant dragonfly hopping around on its butt" is a fair basis for beginning to create hypotheses. The problem is when you start going in weird directions that aren't justified by the evidence. Starting to speculate about these giant dragonflies not flying using their wings is not justified, because the "footprints" that we're starting with, don't carry any information about whatever wings the creature who made them might have, or even if they have wings or not. Likewise about storing blood in the wings - there's no way to even begin to tell that by looking at the footprints we're trying to decipher - they convey no information in that regard.

The evidence you choose to use to support your hypotheses also don't actually support them. For instance, you relate the story of a man who claims he was attacked by a giant dragonfly. But he did not claim this dragonfly hopped around on its claspers; so there's no especial reason to believe that the creature he described might be related to the one that made the tracks. Further, he seems to claim that creature used its wings like a typical dragonfly, which would seem to preclude the non-functional wings of the giant dragonfly you hypothesize. You also use a video someone took of a dragonfly exhibiting what the video's author believed to be unusual characteristics; however it is a small, regular-sized dragonfly of an identifiable species and thus doesn't seem to have anything to do with your proposed giant dragonfly either.

If your points in using these accounts and videos is to say "look, dragonflies that are abnormally large or have weird body parts aren't that far-fetched", well that's fairly easy to grant; but you haven't quite leapt the boundary from possibility to plausibility yet. It's not enough to say that "well I think it's possible there may be giant dragonflies with ramjet propulsion that store eaten blood in their non-flying wings that hop about on their claspers in the snow and sand"; you've got to give us reason to positively believe these things do exist, especially in the face of evidence that they shouldn't exist.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:31 PM   #107
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
There's a first time for everything. The Dragonflies are unique in that they had a hundred million years before any flying competition evolved in the form of birds and bats.
Have you the least scintilla,the slightest crumb, the merest hint of ANYTHING that actually supports any of this, outside your Kipplingesque inventiveness?
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:42 PM   #108
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That's true; but the fossil record shows that they didn't change much in all that time, except for getting smaller.

There is a first time for everything; but hypothesis isn't anything-goes speculation. it's informed theorizing.
As I've said before, Dragonfly cannibalism would mean that giant Dragonflies aren't recorded in the fossil record.

The fossil record is only a hint at what actually occurred during the evolution of life on planet Earth.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:49 PM   #109
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 21,026
Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
As I've said before, Dragonfly cannibalism would mean that giant Dragonflies aren't recorded in the fossil record.

The fossil record is only a hint at what actually occurred during the evolution of life on planet Earth.
Fine; but that's only an excuse for why the necessary evidence might not exist - it does not have any positive evidentiary value of its own. Because the giant dragonflies not, in fact, having existed at all would also cause none to appear in the fossil record.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:52 PM   #110
Maestro
Scholar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 113
I vote for Poe.
Maestro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:53 PM   #111
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
A big dragonfly would attack big prey.
I've deduced that they attack big prey intermittently to acquire a blood supply used for their heightened oxygen uptake.

Whether they also use this source for food is questionable. I even have suspicions that they may have evolved the cultivating of a fungus to sustain themselves and that mega-giant-dragonflies have an entourage of smaller ones in a unique multi-symbiosis.

I got the idea from the leaf cutter ant evolution coupled with a UFO eyewitness reporting that glitter-like swarms descended to a particular tree and then ascended afterwards to a large brightly lit UFO.

It would also fit with the 'Angel Hair' phenomenon and "mana from heaven".
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 07:57 PM   #112
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Here's more cases of eyewitnesses seeing giant Dragonfly-like entities:

UFO with wings flying like an Insect in the Sky Cordoba Argentina 2012

Quote:
Interesting UFO sightings from Argentina showing a bright white objects passing by in the light cloudy sky of Cordoba.

I you look carefully during this UFO sighting video you can see the wings of the UFO flipping like a bee or an insect would do.

UFO sightings Report : UFO or strange orb in Cordoba, Argentina (03/03/2012) was on Saturday March 3. I was in my room vectoring an image, leave the yard for a while I was going porq monkey, I sit and watch just above the mandarin tree walk q I have this light in the sky, not thought or two seconds and went running to look for the camera, I have a canon that has a zoo m 48x 12x digital. UFO picture is clear not only by the Q is good but also I think by the time it was when the sun was setting, I think that gave quite more contrast to the object. at minute 1:50 is the figure of a very bright nucleus and q lights give entrecrusan flies and this nucleus at high speed.

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 5th October 2013 at 08:07 PM.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 08:00 PM   #113
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Photos of Insect-Looking UFOs

.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Biological_UFO_9.jpg (42.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 5th October 2013 at 08:07 PM.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 08:01 PM   #114
Steve001
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,245
Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
I've deduced that they attack big prey intermittently to acquire a blood supply used for their heightened oxygen uptake.

Whether they also use this source for food is questionable. I even have suspicions that they may have evolved the cultivating of a fungus to sustain themselves and that mega-giant-dragonflies have an entourage of smaller ones in a unique multi-symbiosis.

I got the idea from the leaf cutter ant evolution coupled with a UFO eyewitness reporting that glitter-like swarms descended to a particular tree and then ascended afterwards to a large brightly lit UFO.

It would also fit with the 'Angel Hair' phenomenon and "mana from heaven".
Small unicorns walking backwards are just a likely.
Steve001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 08:03 PM   #115
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Have there been many giant dragonfly sightings?


Quote:
When I was around nine years old me and my two sisters watched a dragonfly with a body about half a metre long circle around our backyard just above the height of our bungalow (in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada). When we told our mom about it, she just said it must've been a toy plane shaped like a dragonfly. It looked quite naturally an insect to me, and it made no sound. Would a dragonfly of that size make or not make noise in flight? Can toy remote controlled planes be soundless?


Quote:
I have seen a large dragonflys before, I live near a large country park with 2 huge lakes and extensive reed beds so if there were an ideal place for dragonfly and damselfly spotting, thats it (you can tell the difference between the 2 by observing how it holds its wings when resting, if it can flod its wings back along its body it's a damsel).

The largest dragonfly I observed was in Cosmeston Lakes Country park had a wingspan of at least 1/2 a meter skimming over the surface of the lake about 3 metres from the bank. It was brownish yellow in colour and apart from its size quite unremakable. I have also seen a lot of large damselflys, which are now a regular sighting every time we have a hot summer. Was it a paticully long hot summer when you saw your large dragonfly, Laphip?
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 08:06 PM   #116
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
Giant Dragonfly Encounter in Eastern Kansas


Quote:
I was driving east on I-35 in eastern Kansas one hot and sticky summer day, my ‘67 Mustang rumbling across the heatwaves, windows down, my hair blowing in wind, when something moving near a billboard on the right side of the highway caught my attention. A giant dragonfly, I mean absolutely breathtakingly huge and just beautiful, perfectly and utterly gorgeous, hovered in the air - rather like a modern dragonfly (most species of which don’t exceed a few inches in span), but much bigger than anything known to exist today. I’ve generally thought of it as having a 3 to 5 feet wingspan.

Whatever its size, surely such a dragonfly either exists in a parallel dimension or lives discreetly on our planet, well hidden from modern prying eyes.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 08:11 PM   #117
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
I've deduced that they attack big prey intermittently to acquire a blood supply used for their heightened oxygen uptake.
I'm sorry, but untramelled fantasy is not the same as deduction...Upon what do you base that which you have "deduced"?

Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
Whether they also use this source for food is questionable. I even have suspicions that they may have evolved the cultivating of a fungus to sustain themselves and that mega-giant-dragonflies have an entourage of smaller ones in a unique multi-symbiosis.
Getting harder and harder to hide...

Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
I got the idea from the leaf cutter ant evolution coupled with a UFO eyewitness reporting that glitter-like swarms descended to a particular tree and then ascended afterwards to a large brightly lit UFO.

It would also fit with the 'Angel Hair' phenomenon and "mana from heaven".
This, in your mind, is "evidence"?
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 5th October 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 08:15 PM   #118
Alan Lowey
Muse
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 736
The replies to the above eyewitness encounter:


Quote:
I live near dallas tx. I saw a dragonfly in north dallas that was at least ten to twelve inches in length (body). I was wondering what kind of dragonfly this was.

Quote:
I saw a giant dragonfly type of creature when I lived in Utah. It was about five years ago. I stood looking out of my living room window that looked out onto the street. I looked up the street first and then down. The sky was very grey that day, it looked like a storm was coming. As I looked down the street for about four seconds, I got a glimpse of this beautiful slow flying (almost as if it was in slow motion) creature that was about 6 feet long with a huge wing span. It was flying just above the height of the roofs of the houses across the street. It had very fine wings that were blues and violet colors like a dragonfly. I did not take my eyes of it, but as I say it vanished in seconds. I had a look every day to try and see it again, but never did.

Quote:
OK. I’m not very good at this corresponding on the Web. However, after reading your account, (I stumbled upon your site by accident) of seeing a huge dragonfly in Kansas I was reminded of my sighting of the same thing in Georgia several years ago while my wife and I were on vacation there. Here’s how it goes: I was standing on the deck of our motel when I noticed a huge (and I mean huge; probably 4-6 feet long with a 2-3 foot wingspan) moving across my line of sight about 50′ or so from me going from my right to my left toward a bunch of trees. The wings were not at all moving very quickly which at first surprised me. It just gracefully flew over to the left of my vision field and then it was gone. A time span of probably 8-10 seconds. I looked intensely, but could no longer see it. So, I looked around some more thinking maybe there were some more of these. But that was it! Afterwards I asked some of the locals about my sighting, thinking that maybe in that area of the mountains of Georgia there were oversized dragonflies like that flying around. But everyone said they had never seen anything like that. So…whatever it was, I don’t have a clue! All I know is, I saw it plain as day and I’m not some nut or on drugs… or whatever. ......Or maybe, as you say, these huge dragonflies aren’t as extinct as we think they are. But it sure was strange how it seemed to just vanish after it got to the left side of my line of sight.

Quote:
That sounds like an amazing experience, i too have had interesting encounters with dragonflies. around my house there is a breed of dragon fly that always flies in large groups of 50 or more. me being very interested in talking to animals found that the dragon flies actuially spoke to you in there own language if you give it a chance! What i do is go outside and walk very slowly and calmly to ware you believe the gragon flies are, do not make eye contact as they assume that means you are going to attack and they will stay away from you. unfocus your eyes and stare in the direction of several but never one in particular. after a while you fill find them getting closer and closer to you as they watch your eye movements. when they get just out of arms reach is the most important part, when they fly at or near your face its because they are testing you. almost like asking you if you will attack, do not track them as they cross your vision and soon you will have a whole lot of them diving at your face haha. anyway once you’ve gained there trust then you can attempt to look at them, but only for a moment, then look away to show them you are just watching. Once you get really in tune with what they what you can push your limits a bit and see how much theyll let you do. if you single one out and glance at it for a bit they might even fly to you and dance for you! I have yet to have one trust me enough to land on me, but i dont think that would be impossible with time… they very smart creatures i tell you. coming into contact with a large species would be truely amazing, and it wouldnt at all catch me off gaurd if a species of large dragonfly were indeed alive and just too visuially on top of things to be deticted

Quote:
This is the first time I’ve seen a collaboration of posts where someone has seen something like I have. I was only about a child, maybe 4 years old (11 years ago). I remember seeing a giant dragonfly on my back porch vividly, it was around 4-6ft long, it was about 10 inches away from me as it landed, I was so terrified that I ran back inside. I told a couple of people but nobody really believed me. After reading these, I know what I saw wasn’t a hallucination. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada if this information is relevant.

Quote:
I saw a 2 foot dragonfly once, it was blue and I was in Vancouver visiting my grandma, that’s why I found your article, to see if anyone else had seen one.

Quote:
When I was 10 years old playing at a neighbors yard with friends in the summertime a giant dragonfly came flying between the houses. The children ran into the garage being scared. I stood fascinated as I have always loved insects. The creature seemed at least a wingspan of 2 feet or so. It hovered above me turned and flew away. I had always fished in ponds & lakes. This creature was not normal…beautiful..l was surprised other people have seen this beautiful thing..to this day I remember…
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 08:19 PM   #119
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
Here's more cases of eyewitnesses seeing giant Dragonfly-like entities:

UFO with wings flying like an Insect in the Sky Cordoba Argentina 2012
There is nothing in that video to suggest how large the bright, fluttery object is, nor how far away it is.

There is nothing that video that resembles a dragonfly.

There is nothing in that video that appears to be a super-efficient wing propulsion technique.

This, for you, passes for "evidence"?
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 08:20 PM   #120
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 15,497
http://paranormal.about.com/library/...ember04_06.htm
Quote:
It caught my attention because it didn't look like any kind of bird I have ever seen before. I watched it a bit longer and to my astonishment as it turned it looked exactly like a miniature pterodactyl like you see in the movies like Jurassic Park or on The Flintstones cartoons. The only difference is that it was much smaller, having a wingspan of about four feet. It was gray and did not appear to have any feathers. The wings were an odd shape and flapped much differently than any kind of bird I've seen flying; they looked fleshy like bat wings.
An "eyewitness" credule unfamiliar with birds spots a blue heron and imagines it a pterodactyl. Big deal.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.