ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cryptozoology , devil's footprints , ufos

Old 5th October 2013, 08:24 PM   #121
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
Three and four foot wingspans have been reported. I'm proposing that the wings aren't used for flight in the way that an everyday dragonfly does. I'm proposing that they carry blood from their prey in the thick veins in order to increase oxygen uptake. I'm proposing that they fly effortlessly and silently by an evolved air-propulsion system of the their all-the-way-through trachea tubes.
You're not even trying now.
There is an art to trolling.

Last edited by GT/CS; 5th October 2013 at 08:26 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 08:25 PM   #122
Alan Lowey
Muse

I've deduced that they attack big prey intermittently to acquire a blood supply used for their heightened oxygen uptake.

Whether they also use this source for food is questionable. I even have suspicions that they may have evolved the cultivating of a fungus to sustain themselves and that mega-giant-dragonflies have an entourage of smaller ones in a unique multi-symbiosis.

I got the idea from the leaf cutter ant evolution coupled with a UFO eyewitness reporting that glitter-like swarms descended to a particular tree and then ascended afterwards to a large brightly lit UFO.

It would also fit with the 'Angel Hair' phenomenon and "mana from heaven".

Here's the lady talking about the glitter-like 'swarm' descending to a tree in her back garden.

Denise Talks About 'Alien Glitter'

Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 08:44 PM   #123
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Three and four foot wingspans have been reported. I'm proposing that the wings aren't used for flight in the way that an everyday dragonfly does. I'm proposing that they carry blood from their prey in the thick veins in order to increase oxygen uptake. I'm proposing that they fly effortlessly and silently by an evolved air-propulsion system of the their all-the-way-through trachea tubes.
Wait, what??? Are you claiming they're jet-powered? Or are you suggesting fart propulsion? Now we have a giant warm-blooded blood-sucking jet/fart-propelled pogo-hopping dragonfly!

You're either a Poe or a loony.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 08:52 PM   #124
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Okay, thanks for the sensible post. You now need to identify a UK animal which leaves horseshoe concave tracks in the snow which measure around "four inches long, three inches across".
Snow has a tendency to deform tracks, so it might not even be hooves. So it could be any manner of creature.

Originally Posted by Alan
P.S. the tracks have also been found in soft earth and sand which refutes the suggestion that the snow has deformed the size and shape.
Soil erosion.

Last edited by Mudcat; 5th October 2013 at 08:58 PM.
Mudcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 09:07 PM   #125
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Wait, what??? Are you claiming they're jet-powered? Or are you suggesting fart propulsion? Now we have a giant warm-blooded blood-sucking jet/fart-propelled pogo-hopping dragonfly!

You're either a Poe or a loony.

Ever seen Tremors 3?
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 09:29 PM   #126
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Here's a cocktail napkin quality illustration I did of "Pogomofo", just moments ago...

I think it clearly demonstrates this creature is perfectly plausible.

Last edited by Mike!; 5th October 2013 at 09:33 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2013, 10:22 PM   #127
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

Please allow Alan Lowey to continue. We can all learn, and that seem a good idea.
Ketyk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 01:25 AM   #128
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Ketyk View Post
Please allow Alan Lowey to continue. We can all learn, and that seem a good idea.
Thanks Ketyk. I've just about said it all. I'm pleased with Mike's illustration. Excellent first rendition of proposal for the making of the so called Devil's Footprints.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 01:33 AM   #129
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Thanks Ketyk. I've just about said it all.
You haven't said why you're so determined to believe a particular fantastical explanation of these tracks when there is no objective evidence for it, and more plausible explanations have been suggested.
Old 6th October 2013, 01:36 AM   #130
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Here's a cocktail napkin quality illustration I did of "Pogomofo", just moments ago...
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...pictureid=8243

Excellent work Mike! That's what I'm suggesting, yes. Bizarre beyond bizarre, I know. Funny thing is, the hypothesis happens to fit all known evidence.

Oh, I've just thought of one more thing. Nessie and the like are the nymphs and larvae of these giant Dragonflies. The females lay the eggs deep in the silty bottoms. The Mongolian Death Worm is another type of larvae but the eggs are buried deep into the sand in remote locations.

These sand-laid eggs are a feasibility for science to locate by use of large area ground penetrating radar.
Old 6th October 2013, 01:40 AM   #131
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
You haven't said why you're so determined to believe a particular fantastical explanation of these tracks when there is no objective evidence for it, and more plausible explanations have been suggested.
What are suggesting makes the four inches by three inches concave horseshoe shaped single tracks?
Old 6th October 2013, 01:46 AM   #132
Alan Lowey
Muse

Okay, here's a video of the actual critter. It shows that the insectoid is actually round bodied, a product of all-the-way-through trachea tube evolution. Keep watching until the end. It's shakey as hell, I know, but stay with it. You can see the large antenna stand to attention. It hovers just above the ground. It's abdomen curls towards the ground and it spreads it's translucent wings:

El duende REAL supernatural being Argentina
Old 6th October 2013, 01:51 AM   #133
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

What are suggesting makes the four inches by three inches concave horseshoe shaped single tracks ?
You're assuming that they really are "four inches by three inches concave horseshoe shaped single tracks". Other possibilities have been suggested.

People misinterpret what their senses tell them all the time. See the real explanation of the supposedly weird dragonfly in the video you yourself posted earlier for an example.
Old 6th October 2013, 02:40 AM   #134
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

It's called making a hypothesis. Something that is just about possible which fits all the available evidence.
This analysis would fit with the cattle mutilation phenomenon.
Just keep to the topic in hand please. The cattle mutilation phenomenon is very real and in Brazil it has even spread to human beings.

UFO-Related Homicide in Brazil: The Complete Story [from International UFO Magazine]

P.S. Beware very graphic images at bottom of page.
I've deduced that they attack big prey intermittently to acquire a blood supply used for their heightened oxygen uptake.

Whether they also use this source for food is questionable. I even have suspicions that they may have evolved the cultivating of a fungus to sustain themselves and that mega-giant-dragonflies have an entourage of smaller ones in a unique multi-symbiosis.

I got the idea from the leaf cutter ant evolution coupled with a UFO eyewitness reporting that glitter-like swarms descended to a particular tree and then ascended afterwards to a large brightly lit UFO.

It would also fit with the 'Angel Hair' phenomenon and "mana from heaven".
Excellent work Mike! That's what I'm suggesting, yes. Bizarre beyond bizarre, I know. Funny thing is, the hypothesis happens to fit all known evidence.

Oh, I've just thought of one more thing. Nessie and the like are the nymphs and larvae of these giant Dragonflies. The females lay the eggs deep in the silty bottoms. The Mongolian Death Worm is another type of larvae but the eggs are buried deep into the sand in remote locations.

These sand-laid eggs are a feasibility for science to locate by use of large area ground penetrating radar.
Okay, here's a video of the actual critter. It shows that the insectoid is actually round bodied, a product of all-the-way-through trachea tube evolution. Keep watching until the end. It's shakey as hell, I know, but stay with it. You can see the large antenna stand to attention. It hovers just above the ground. It's abdomen curls towards the ground and it spreads it's translucent wings:

GOOBY Stahp !1!!11

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 03:15 AM   #135
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

You really think yet another blurry, shaky video, this time probably of a chicken, is going to help your case?

FYI Devon is crawling with naturalists, both amateur and professional. If this thing existed there would live examples in zoos and dead ones in the Natural History Museum. Good quality photos and videos would be available. The BBC's Natural History Unit, based less than 2 hours drive away in Bristol, would have made documentaries about it (these guys think nothing of camping for months in the jungle in order to get film of the rarest and shyest of creatures, you really think they would have missed something like this right on their doorstep?). Tourism is Devon's biggest industry, there would be tours to see the thing in its natural habitat and I would certainly have gone on them during my many holidays in the county.
Old 6th October 2013, 03:18 AM   #136
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks Ketyk. I've just about said it all. I'm pleased with Mike's illustration. Excellent first rendition of proposal for the making of the so called Devil's Footprints.

And surely goes to show how much of a Poe/satire this thread actually is.
Old 6th October 2013, 03:19 AM   #137
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
And surely goes to show how much of a Poe/satire this thread actually is.
I always like to give new guys the benefit of the doubt, but I think you're right.
Old 6th October 2013, 03:26 AM   #138
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

The picture you chose to show from that page is clearly a bird in flight, possibly a duck but too blurry to be sure.

The others on that page exhibit poor photography skills, being comprised of artefacts from dirty lenses and out of focus birds.

As for the text on that page, it displays the usual woo thinking that altitude, range and size can be determined by eye alone without any possibility of error.
Old 6th October 2013, 05:30 AM   #139
Alan Lowey
Muse

You're assuming that they really are "four inches by three inches concave horseshoe shaped single tracks". Other possibilities have been suggested.

People misinterpret what their senses tell them all the time.

No, you're wrong. This video of the tracks being analyzed and measured by a member of the CFZ confirms the description of the 1855 Devon incident exactly:

THE CFZ INVESTIGATES: Mysterious footprints in Woolsery
Old 6th October 2013, 05:35 AM   #140
Alan Lowey
Muse

You really think yet another blurry, shaky video, this time probably of a chicken, is going to help your case?

FYI Devon is crawling with naturalists, both amateur and professional. If this thing existed there would live examples in zoos and dead ones in the Natural History Museum. Good quality photos and videos would be available. The BBC's Natural History Unit, based less than 2 hours drive away in Bristol, would have made documentaries about it (these guys think nothing of camping for months in the jungle in order to get film of the rarest and shyest of creatures, you really think they would have missed something like this right on their doorstep?). Tourism is Devon's biggest industry, there would be tours to see the thing in its natural habitat and I would certainly have gone on them during my many holidays in the county.

They are too fast to be filmed easily. They fly faster than the eye can see. They have super-insect-senses. They are very sensitive and will try to evade a situation if possible. There will be examples open to science soon, but they can be very dangerous too and have a psychic ability to induce paralysis in humans. It's a tricky job to catch one.

My suggestion would be to create an underground den site with an entrance only easily accessible from the air. A clever trap system would have to be initially installed of course. It could be done..
Old 6th October 2013, 05:36 AM   #141
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
The picture you chose to show from that page is clearly a bird in flight, possibly a duck but too blurry to be sure.

The others on that page exhibit poor photography skills, being comprised of artefacts from dirty lenses and out of focus birds.

As for the text on that page, it displays the usual woo thinking that altitude, range and size can be determined by eye alone without any possibility of error.

The wings are the wrong shape for a duck or any other bird. These can be seen to get much wider towards the tip.
Old 6th October 2013, 05:42 AM   #142
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
GOOBY Stahp !1!!11

Here's a luminous version where the shape of the wings and the way they flap is the same as the Argentinian duende video. Go to time=0.50 secs and see the head moving back and forth as well as the characteristic wing movements:

Strange Luminous Image Caught ON CCTV
Old 6th October 2013, 05:44 AM   #143
tuxcat
Muse

That is just hilarious. That has to be the funniest pic I've ever seen. It's a pity that we don't have a Picture Awards like the Language Awards as I'd nominate that in a heartbeat.
tuxcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 05:58 AM   #144
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It's not as if Devon is a huge wilderness.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 06:02 AM   #145
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by tuxcat View Post

That is just hilarious. That has to be the funniest pic I've ever seen. It's a pity that we don't have a Picture Awards like the Language Awards as I'd nominate that in a heartbeat.

I nominated it for the words alone. Nice sketch too of course.
Old 6th October 2013, 06:05 AM   #146
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's not as if Devon is a huge wilderness.

You're right. It takes a bit of getting used to. They're everywhere. They are adept at keeping hidden. They can appear as luminous orbs which disguises their identity. They fly at night. They fly faster than the eye can see. When people do report an encounter, they get derided, which puts off others from reporting similar incidents.
Old 6th October 2013, 06:47 AM   #147
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Alan Lowey is "having a wind up" with us. Thread should be moved to Humor.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 06:51 AM   #148
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

No, you're wrong. This video of the tracks being analyzed and measured by a member of the CFZ confirms the description of the 1855 Devon incident exactly:

THE CFZ INVESTIGATES: Mysterious footprints in Woolsery
Why are you posting this again? We've already shown you that these are rabbit prints.

Oh, I see now.....

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Alan Lowey is "having a wind up" with us. Thread should be moved to Humor.
Have you ever been to Devon, Alan?
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 06:53 AM   #149
GT/CS
Illuminator

Here's a luminous version where the shape of the wings and the way they flap is the same as the Argentinian duende video. Go to time=0.50 secs and see the head moving back and forth as well as the characteristic wing movements:

Strange Luminous Image Caught ON CCTV
You told us earlier that they don't use their wings for propulsion. So which is it? Do they flap their wings or not?
Old 6th October 2013, 06:53 AM   #150
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

Oh, go ahead and nominate it, a picture is still worth one thousand words, even in todays economy. And it's not like I ever win anyway.

Last edited by Mike!; 6th October 2013 at 07:16 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 06:56 AM   #151
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Oh go ahead and nom it, it's not like I ever win anyway.
There are some anatomical issues to be worked out:
where are the "all the way through" tracheas, making the body round?
where are the blood storage vessels in the wings?
where are the cattle-mutilating nasty sharp teeth?
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 06:58 AM   #152
GT/CS
Illuminator

It's great that 4' wingspans have been reported but that doesn't answer my question. The questions was, How large would a dragonfly need to be to leave those tracks?
Old 6th October 2013, 07:00 AM   #153
tuxcat
Muse

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
It's great that 4' wingspans have been reported but that doesn't answer my question. The questions was, How large would a dragonfly need to be to leave those tracks?
Utterly gigantic I would say. And precisely where this mysterious dragonfly came from, the OP hasn't explained. Or it's motives for doing a punk-rock dance (the pogo) on someone's lawn.
tuxcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 07:00 AM   #154
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
How do they not tear up their fragile wings flying through the forests?
Don't you think evolution would dictate blood storage in the wings would never happen? You're thinking of a 767.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:02 AM   #155
tuxcat
Muse

How do they not tear up their fragile wings flying through the forests?
Don't you think evolution would dictate blood storage in the wings would never happen? You're thinking of a 767.
There you go - it was the ghost of a crashed B767 that travelled back in time and danced upon it's tail somewhere in Devon. It's equally as plausible as this proposed dragonfly.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:49 AM   #156
Mike!

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
What part of "cocktail napkin quality" escaped you? I'll flesh out all those minor details on the final blueprint.
Old 6th October 2013, 08:27 AM   #157
Alan Lowey
Muse

You told us earlier that they don't use their wings for propulsion. So which is it? Do they flap their wings or not?

The principle mode of flight is via the air-propulsion system, as evident from the eyewitness account at 30,000ft. He said the wings flapped slowly, which is similarly reported in other accounts compared to it's speed.

I'm assuming the wings flap in order to pump extra blood to the all-the-way-through trachea tubes. If the critter requires a surge of energy, then it flaps it's wings for an oxygen boost.

I've just remembered another photo of the plump-looking insect UFO flying at low speed. You can see the translucent wings behind it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheValentichUFOMysteryPhoto.jpg (17.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 6th October 2013, 08:28 AM   #158
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

The questions was, How large would a dragonfly need to be to leave those tracks?
Full disclosure, I'm not an entomologist. But if those dimensions are just the creature's tail clasp than probably large enough to be a threat towards children or the elderly.

If this thing actually existed it almost certainly would have been hunted down and we would have specimens.
Old 6th October 2013, 08:34 AM   #159
Alan Lowey
Muse

We can see now that the bodies of the Dragonfly-like insectoids are more acorn shaped with large heads. This would mean that the male clasper would be relatively larger than the modern day dragonfly equivalent. It would still be a large creature to leave a 4inch by 3inch track. The wingspan of these types doesn't have quite the same meaning as in the bird species. But I'd guess at a 4ft tall entity if upright with a translucent curved wingspan of 5-6ft if they are spread out. Something like that.

From the Argentinian duende video the entity appears to stretch out it's tail section towards the ground when it opens it's wings.

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 6th October 2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 6th October 2013, 08:42 AM   #160
Alan Lowey
Muse

Utterly gigantic I would say. And precisely where this mysterious dragonfly came from, the OP hasn't explained. Or it's motives for doing a punk-rock dance (the pogo) on someone's lawn.

I'm proposing that the females migrate to sunnier climates during the UK winter, possibly south east Africa aka the Drakensberg Mountains. The males stay to defend their territory and den sites. If the males compete with one another then they could become injured or exhausted and unable to achieve normal flight home or be displaced by a newcomer altogether. This is when the tracks are made; the male is simply too exhausted to fly to safety in the normal way before sunrise.

An unexpected snowfall would exacerbate the effect and reveal their insect-navigated straight path to familiar safety.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal