ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cryptozoology , devil's footprints , ufos

Old 6th October 2013, 07:50 PM   #201
Alan Lowey
Muse

Why would a police officer lie about what happened? It just doesn't make sense. Take a look at this story from Taiwan:

“Invisible Mantis Creature” Photographed by Police Officer Sparks Debate

Quote:
A UFO study group has caused a fair bit of ruckus in Taiwan’s press recently by releasing a photo they say shows a “cloaked alien being” captured at a high altitude mountain lake.

The Taiwan UFOlogy Society (TUFOS) came into possession of the photograph after it was snapped on an iPhone by Chen Yung-huang, a police officer enjoying a weekend hike at Jiaming Lake. After noticing the image contained something that didn’t look quite right, namely that there was a tall, half-invisible man-mantis creature lurking in the photo, he sent the picture off to Huang Chao-ming, the head of TUFOS, for an opinion. Huang then spent an entire year having photography, cellular technology, and image forensics experts check the photo out. So far, no one has been able to come to a conclusive explanation for the strange creature, with guesses ranging everywhere from faulty flash memory to invaders from outer space.

Chien Jung-ta, one of the photo experts consulted about the image doesn’t believe it has been edited in any way, pointing out the double exposure lines around the “alien”, indicating the phone was probably in motion when the photo was taken. This means that something was indeed standing on the mountain’s ridge.. the question is just who.. or what?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantisman-taiwan.jpg (42.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 6th October 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 07:56 PM   #202
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Yawn.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:57 PM   #203
Alan Lowey
Muse

A post in the comments section of a Sleep Paralysis story :

[quote]I was in Afganistan in 2006-2007 and saw something I have never been able to rationalize. I was on a route recon patrol in the northwest region of the country (cant exactl remember where I was at the time) we were in a convoy of 3 trucks and I was in the turret on the lead vehicle. It was nightime and I had my NODs on basically just looking for anything along this road that looked out of the ordinary. Well i certainly saw something other than ordinary when about 500 meters in front of me in the middle of this desert road was a creature hunched over. My first thought was that it was an enemy placing an IED so I told the driver to stop the vehicle as whatever it was hadn't seen us yet ( we drove blacked out at night so we could operate undetected) anyways I tell my Patrol leader what I see up ahead and he tells me that we are just gonna observe it from the high ground and see what it is doing. I guess I should explain that with night vision something at 500 yards doesn't exactly appear crystal clear so I don't really know what this thing was doing but this is where it gets weird. The creature stands up on two legs and appears to be much larger than a common human spreads a pair of massive wings and takes off in the other direction. I know this would be more exciting had I fought the beast or something like that but it displayed no hostility and to my knowledge never even knew we were there. I'm not gonna speculate on what it was exactly but the locals in the area had folklore and supersticions involving vampires.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2013, 07:57 PM   #204
Robrob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
Why would a police officer lie about what he saw and photographed? It just doesn't make sense. Take a look at this story from Taiwan...
No one says he lied. The news article itself explains he noticed the image only after he took the pictures.

Quote:
After noticing the image contained something that didn’t look quite right, namely that there was a tall, half-invisible man-mantis creature lurking in the photo,
Playing "Roarsarch Test" is fun but not exactly evidence of anything outside the viewer's imagination.
Old 6th October 2013, 08:03 PM   #205
Alan Lowey
Muse

Okay, some more stories for the attention of any interested readers. There's plenty more like these incidentally:

Quote:
I read your website with great interest some time ago. I have long been suspect regarding alien claims. In addition, I'm a scientist, so, you know, a bit Cartesian.

On January, 2007, my life changed at around 2AM. Briefly, I heard a two-tone very loud digital sound, awoke, thinking there were children outside being loud. I awoke and found a large creature next to my bedroom window and bed. It looked to me like a cricket, of course, like a praying mantis, by your description. I had an odd calm feeling of recognition, I told it, oddly, "it's about time you're here." I then "saw" some sort of craft, two disks rotating around each other, it gave a clear impression of orange, yellow and red, radiation and glowing, rotating around a common axis. Over an hour and a half passed by the time I looked at my clock again.

I am including computer images I created, I don't pretend to be a computer artist. When I saw your website (Jim G's Praying Mantis accounts), I felt sick.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantis-by-bed.jpg (22.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg mantis-bed-ufos.jpg (20.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 6th October 2013, 08:07 PM   #206
Alan Lowey
Muse

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to present my hypothesis for the Devil's Footprints and UFO phenomena.
Old 6th October 2013, 08:07 PM   #207
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

LOL
Old 6th October 2013, 09:31 PM   #208
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to present my hypothesis for the Devil's Footprints and UFO phenomena.
I wouldn't call what you have a hypothesis, frankly.
Old 6th October 2013, 09:36 PM   #209
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I wouldn't call what you have a hypothesis, frankly.

It's more like a huge joke.

I second the poster who suggested moving this thread to the humor subforum. It was never serious.
Old 7th October 2013, 12:18 AM   #210
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
There's a poster who shows up every once in a while on guitar forums asking the same question repeatedly and ignoring the answers ( in a "Yes, but..." style). It was either someone who knew him or someone familiar with the syndrome that made the observation. This seems similar to me, but it's likely a Poe.

ETA: I have a friend who goes on at length about one type of woo or another and it's impossible to get him off the subject, so I often wonder about him. So that's likely why I though of it to begin with.
Feel free to have a browse through my past posts and see if you can pick out a style. I have Aspergers Syndrome.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 03:24 AM   #211
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

You know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when you start using hypnagogic/hypnopompic hallucinations to bolster your fantasy. Can a move to Community, Humo[u]r or even AAH be far away?

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 06:13 AM   #212
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

The wings are the wrong shape for a duck or any other bird. These can be seen to get much wider towards the tip.
Perspective. How does that work?

Apparent shape of bird wings in flight? How does that work?

And why do they have beaks anyway?

Identifying size range and altitude by eye. How does that work?

A fibre on the lens being the only in-focus object in a photograph. How does that work?

Pareidolia. How does that work?
Old 7th October 2013, 06:19 AM   #213
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Remember that the trachea tubes in increasing size of insects is dominant in the legs. Notice how the limbs of these insectoids appear much thicker than expected for an insect. If the wings are not spread then they would appear as a kind of 'backpack' shape on the back of the body.

Now take a look at this video which just recently captured a so called 'flying humanoid'. It moves with a speed faster than the eye can see at one point. It can be observed moving relative to the hill.

Video 'Flying Humanoid With Backpack' Hovers and Maneuvers At High Speed (Belfast, Sept 2013)

It's a mylar balloon. Obvious despite the "Blurry Shaky Cam"TM

ETA: Like this one.

Last edited by abaddon; 7th October 2013 at 06:24 AM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 06:38 AM   #214
Maestro
Scholar

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Feel free to have a browse through my past posts and see if you can pick out a style. I have Aspergers Syndrome.
Well, you like Pink Floyd and Monty Python so I don't believe there's a thing wrong with you.
Maestro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 06:49 AM   #215
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I should add, this particular individual has been foisting this and other ideas on the intertubes for years.

Not a Poe.
Old 7th October 2013, 06:54 AM   #216
Cayvmann
Muse

Why would a police officer lie about what happened? It just doesn't make sense. Take a look at this story from Taiwan:

“Invisible Mantis Creature” Photographed by Police Officer Sparks Debate

Police lie, in all probability, as much as any other human being. Why does anyone lie? Fame, boredom, trolling... any number of reasons.

Appeal to incredulity?

( I have no idea if this police person is lying about anything )
Cayvmann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 07:15 AM   #217
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
Police lie, in all probability, as much as any other human being. Why does anyone lie? Fame, boredom, trolling... any number of reasons.

Appeal to incredulity?

( I have no idea if this police person is lying about anything )
<sigh> That is simply the usual appeal to police, pilots and military being superhuman.
They cannot be wrong. Even though hatloads admit they incorrectly identified something incorrectly.
Old 7th October 2013, 07:23 AM   #218
tuxcat
Muse

So when are you going to present irrefutable evidence for this being, Alan? I'm not interested in historic accounts, eyewitness testimony, blurry pictures of bees, ponderings, , hypnophagic and hypnopompic hallucinations, dreams, drawings or anything else not related to DNA analyses and other hard to fake evidence. Even high quality photos can easily be faked nowadays but it would be a start for further research.
tuxcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 11:33 AM   #219
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Oh, I should add, this particular individual has been foisting this and other ideas on the intertubes for years.

Not a Poe.
ufosightingsdaily
Channel 5 Britain's Closest Encounters
Dragonfly UFO YouTube
theparanormalist

From the Channel 5 comments page:

Quote:
Alan lowey

The heart attacks of humans makes them especially unsuitable for lizard-birds. They need cattle which are less prone to shock leading to instant death. The gruesome reason is that the lizard-bird sucks out the liquids of the brain and blood from the bodies of their victims. The heart needs to be beating to facilitate the process. The mysterious green liquid found on the back of the neck around the open wound is the way the beast uses it's lance tongue to make the hole with a natural anti-coagulant. The liquid dissolves the bone and tissue and is the substance which the PC trod in to make the tear in his boot and the itchy red patch on the ball of his foot.
So, no, folks, we aren't being wound up by a humorous joker. This is real tin-foil hat territory.....

Mike
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 11:46 AM   #220
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

LOL! Yes, the lizard-bird imagery does seem a bit old-hat nowadays. Replace that with giant flying insect and the rest still fits the bill.

People should see the episode of PC Alan Godfrey. It's an amazing account.

Quote:
PC Alan Godfrey claimed to have seen and been taken on board a UFO whilst on patrol Todmorden, Yorkshire, in 1980. The incident became particularly noteworthy when it was linked to the death of Polish miner Zygmund Adamski, whose body was found on top of a coal heap with mysterious burns on his neck.

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 7th October 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 7th October 2013, 11:50 AM   #221
Alareth
Philosopher

Are miniature giant dragonflies the explanation for flying rods?
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 11:54 AM   #222
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
Are miniature giant dragonflies the explanation for flying rods?

(lol). It's been shown that it's the speed that these insects travel at which gives the rod-like image due to the relatively low shutter speed on most photography equipment, including TV professional camera kit.

What insect travels that fast?

Here's an example: Enormous 'rod'/insect caught on video flies past aircraft taking off

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 7th October 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 7th October 2013, 01:05 PM   #223
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
ufosightingsdaily
Channel 5 Britain's Closest Encounters
Dragonfly UFO YouTube
theparanormalist

So, no, folks, we aren't being wound up by a humorous joker. This is real tin-foil hat territory.....

Mike
I refuse to believe that anyone could be that crazy and still function in society so I still think he's a prankster. He just pranks a lot of sites.
Old 7th October 2013, 01:24 PM   #224
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Rods were mercilessly crushed long ago by reason and sanity...

http://www.opendb.com/sol/seq.htm

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 01:43 PM   #225
Biscuit
Philosopher

I can't believe I just watched 7 minutes of a dragon fly set to techno music. How bored am I?
Old 7th October 2013, 04:39 PM   #226
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

Reason and sanity have no place in cryptozoology...
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 06:35 PM   #227
Alan Lowey
Muse

What is the narrow-minded view of the skeptic in this case:

Flying orb like a bird
Old 7th October 2013, 06:45 PM   #228
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

There's more to the story though. See here for something much more interesting than the link you provided. The high speed camera evidence can be seen at 37mins incidentally, although it doesn't explain an insect which is reported to fly at around 200mph during the day. The hawk moth has a top speed given at 33.7mph.

Rods (Documentary)
Old 7th October 2013, 06:58 PM   #229
Alan Lowey
Muse

Here's some extra information for the interested reader:

Is the Mongolian death worm another kind of Giant Flying Insect Larvae?

There is a clue to the exoskeleton of an insect:

Quote:
The worms are purportedly between 2 and 5 feet (0.6 and 1.5 m) long, and thick-bodied.

In his book "On the Trail of Ancient Man" (1926), Roy Chapman Andrews (an American explorer, adventurer and naturalist who became the director of the American Museum of Natural History) cites Mongolian Prime Minister Damdinbazar who in 1922 described the worm allergorhai-horhai:

"It is shaped like a sausage about two feet long, has no head nor leg and it is so poisonous that merely to touch it means instant death. It lives in the most desolate parts of the Gobi Desert…"

In 1932 Andrews published this information again in the book "The New Conquest of Central Asia", adding: "It is reported to live in the most arid, sandy regions of the western Gobi". Andrews didn't believe that the animal was real.

Czech explorer Ivan Mackerle described the animal from second-hand reports as a "sausage-like worm over half a metre (20 inches) long, and thick as a man's arm, resembling the intestine of cattle. Its skin serves as an exoskeleton, molting whenever hurt. Its tail is short, as [if] it were cut off, but not tapered. It is difficult to tell its head from its tail because it has no visible eyes, nostrils or mouth. Its colour is dark red, like blood or salami... "

The lack of eyes and mouth and nostrils fits with another sighting at close range. The Creature of the Dump

Quote:
The encounter took place on a warm, otherwise ordinary day in the summer of 1999 just outside a small town in Oregon.

Mod WarningSnipped for compliance with Rule 4. Please, do not copy and paste lengthy tracts of text from elsewhere. Instead, cite a short quote and provide a link to the source.
Posted By:LashL

Last edited by LashL; 7th October 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 7th October 2013, 07:08 PM   #230
Alan Lowey
Muse

The connection with UFO induced mind-enhancement giving the illusion of telepathic communication:

Giant ghost worm

Quote:
I was around 8 years old, so this happened in the late 1960s. We had just watched a local fireworks display on the 4th of July, and my 3 brothers and I were running around our backyard with some of the neighborhood kids. It was around 10:30 at night, and a treat for us to be up that late. I had run to the back of our yard and was standing behind a tree. My parents and the neighbors were sitting on our back porch, and they had the porch light on, so it lit a bit of the yard up. Everyone was getting ready to go home, and the neighbor parents were calling their kids to come to the porch so they could go. My father called my brothers and me to come in, too. I started walking across the backyard, when I suddenly stopped. On the ground, coming toward me, was this thing... a black object that was around 4 feet long. It looked like a large worm, and it was traveling over the ground in an undulating motion. It passed right in front of me, and I thought about stamping my foot on it to see if it was solid... it LOOKED solid, but at the same time I could swear I could see through it.

Mod WarningSnipped for compliance with Rule 4. Please, do not copy and paste lengthy tracts of text from elsewhere. Instead, cite a short quote and provide a link to the source.

Last edited by LashL; 7th October 2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 7th October 2013, 07:12 PM   #231
Alan Lowey
Muse

Another connection with luminous UFOs:

Another strange, giant worm

Quote:
I just came across a similar account in a book called Three Men Seeking Monsters by Nick Redfern (Paraview Pocket Books, 2004). The witness was walking around the ancient stone circle at Avebury, in England at about 10:30 p.m. when she saw a glowing sphere of light, which "exploded" in a blinding flash. "When her eyes cleared, however, she was faced with a horrific sight," Redfern writes. "The ball of light had gone, but on the ground in front of her was what she could only describe as a monstrous, writhing worm. The creature, she said, was about five feet long, perhaps eight or nine inches thick and its skin was milk-white. As she slowly rose to her feet, the creature's head turned suddenly in her direction and two bulging eyes opened. When it began to move unsteadily toward her in a caterpillar-like fashion, she emitted a hysterical scream and fled the scene." And who can blame her?

Another smaller species of giant insect larvae? Alien Worms - Your True Tales - July 2009

Quote:
This happened to me one day at my grandma's home around 2001 or 2002. My little brother and I were messing around in her backyard. When we were looking under rocks, we found many weird worm-like creatures that would inhale loudly, then breathed out without a sound, then looked dead after the long exhale.

Then when we saw another that looked the same, but this time we could see in the mouth was filled with little teeth, and it smelled funny.

Our grandma was out shopping, so we couldn't tell her. We kept it to ourselves. But there were at least four of the "worms". I don't remember every detail, but they were pickish gray and had no eyes that we could see. The one that moved kind of just stayed still and squirmed; it was weird, but they all went away the next morning. There was medium-sized hole near a rock close to her fence. Did they leave?
Old 7th October 2013, 07:18 PM   #232
Alan Lowey
Muse

Strange Giant Insects Seen In Pennsylvania

Quote:
Recently, I was contacted about an incident which happened in rural Westmoreland County, outside of Mount Pleasant. There were four people traveling in a car during the evening of June 27, 2009, when they saw something very strange crawling on the road ahead of them. A man yelled out from the back seat and pointed ahead, making the others aware of what was occurring.

The witness I interviewed provided a detailed account of what was seen and what had taken place. The first observation involved a creature, which I was told, "looked like a giant caterpillar." The over sized insect crawled from right to left on the road a short distance ahead of the observers.

Last edited by LashL; 7th October 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 7th October 2013, 07:24 PM   #233
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

This has to be one of the most idiotic threads in the forum in a long while.
Old 7th October 2013, 07:24 PM   #234
Alan Lowey
Muse

HMS Daedalus "Nessie-Like Sea Serpent" Sighting (1826) Giant Flying Insect Nymph

The incredible details of the sighting which was at such close range is often reported as a "sea serpent". The details say that it swam without flippers in a perfectly straight line without undulations. It was also reported as having a kind of "mane" behind it's head, which is the same as the Nessie sightings of a "sea-horse". I've even put two and two together to speculate that the "lizard-like" creature may in fact be the sea nymph of a giant flying insect, similar to the water nymph of a dragonfly. Amazing and crazy, I know, but just about plausible imv.

Original HMS Daedalus "Sea Serpent" Sighting (1826) Report
Old 7th October 2013, 07:26 PM   #235
Alan Lowey
Muse

Another eye-witness account of something similar is reproduced here: Giant-Eels In Pairs Near Panama Canal?

Quote:
"Greetings Jon,
"I enjoyed your interview on Coast to Coast AM this morning - (3 AM here in Florida). I was particularly interest in your theory regarding giant eels in northern lakes e.g. Loch Ness. Perhaps you could help me identify the creatures that I and many hundreds saw a few years ago?
"I am British and live in Florida. My family and I came to Florida by sea from Australia in 1969. Our ship left Acuapulco and sailed along the west coast towards the Panama canal. It was the first week of July 1969. The sea was calm and we were cruising quite slowly because of congestion in the canal.
"As we cruised along the west coast of Costa Rica and Panama we were about 7 or 8 miles from shore and just a few yards from the flotsam line. It was clearly defined line of sea weed about 30 feet wide with odd bits of wood and the occasional small tree limb,
"We cruised along this path for several hours in bright sunshine between about 10 AM and 2 PM. There were many fish visible and some very large turtles but the significant sighting were huge eels. These creatures were always in pairs and we saw a pair perhaps every 20 minutes or so.
"They averaged about 15 feet long and had a diameter of about 1.5 feet. They were khaki or olive in colour and were identical to the eels for which I used to fish as a boy in my home town of Canterbury Kent, except they were so large. They were lazily swimming very slowly along through the flotsam or just wallowing at the very surface.
"The ship was carrying about 1200 passengers and most were on deck on this idyllic day so the eels were seen by many people. Most were engaged in counting the enormous numbers of sharks which were clearly visible around the ship.
"I wonder if you have any idea what species of eel these were? They could easily have swallowed a child or a small adult. Regards, John Weatherley."
Old 7th October 2013, 07:28 PM   #236
Alan Lowey
Muse

Another eye-witness account of something similar is reproduced here: Giant-Eels In Pairs Near Panama Canal?

Quote:
"Greetings Jon,
"I enjoyed your interview on Coast to Coast AM this morning - (3 AM here in Florida). I was particularly interest in your theory regarding giant eels in northern lakes e.g. Loch Ness. Perhaps you could help me identify the creatures that I and many hundreds saw a few years ago?
"I am British and live in Florida. My family and I came to Florida by sea from Australia in 1969. Our ship left Acuapulco and sailed along the west coast towards the Panama canal. It was the first week of July 1969. The sea was calm and we were cruising quite slowly because of congestion in the canal.
"As we cruised along the west coast of Costa Rica and Panama we were about 7 or 8 miles from shore and just a few yards from the flotsam line. It was clearly defined line of sea weed about 30 feet wide with odd bits of wood and the occasional small tree limb,
"We cruised along this path for several hours in bright sunshine between about 10 AM and 2 PM. There were many fish visible and some very large turtles but the significant sighting were huge eels. These creatures were always in pairs and we saw a pair perhaps every 20 minutes or so.
"They averaged about 15 feet long and had a diameter of about 1.5 feet. They were khaki or olive in colour and were identical to the eels for which I used to fish as a boy in my home town of Canterbury Kent, except they were so large. They were lazily swimming very slowly along through the flotsam or just wallowing at the very surface.
"The ship was carrying about 1200 passengers and most were on deck on this idyllic day so the eels were seen by many people. Most were engaged in counting the enormous numbers of sharks which were clearly visible around the ship.
"I wonder if you have any idea what species of eel these were? They could easily have swallowed a child or a small adult. Regards, John Weatherley."
Old 7th October 2013, 07:39 PM   #237
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I dimly recalled an episode related in an old book of mine by the impeccable researcher Charles Berlitz, about an airplane that was mysteriously attacked in flight by something; but I didn't remember the details so I went back, digging up the book. Here's the passage, referencing an incident which took place on some unspecified date in 1939:

Quote:
Something terrifying happened in the air one day in the late summer of 1939, and to this day the incident is shrouded in secrecy. All that is known is that a millitary transport plane left the Marine Naval Air Station in San Diego at 3:30 one afternoon. It and it's thirteen man crew were making a routine flight to Honolulu. Three hours later, as the plane was over the Pacific Ocean, a frantic distress signal was sounded. Then the radio signal died. A little later the plane limped back to base and made an emergeny landing. Ground crew members rushed to the craft and when they boarded, they were horrified to see twelve dead men. The only survivor was the copilot, who though badly injured had stayed alive long enough to bring the plane back. A few minutes later he was dead, too.

All of the bodies had large, gaping wounds. Even weirder, the pilot and copilot had emptied their .45 Colt Automatic pistols at something. The empty shells were found lying on the floor of the cockpit. A foul, sulfuric odor pervaded the interior of the craft. The exterior of the airplane was badly damaged, looking as if it had been struck by missiles. The personnel who boarded the craft came down with an odd skin infection.

Strict security measures were quickly put into effect and the emergency ground crew was ordered to leave the plane. The job of removing the bodies and investigating the incident was left to three medical officers. The incident was successfully hushed up and did not come to light for fifteen years, when investigator Robert Coe Gardner learned of it from someone who was there. The mystery of what the crew encountered in midair that afternoon in 1939 has never been solved.
In retrospect, this does seem like it may have been an attack by some kind of animal, perhaps of the giant dragonfly variety. Submitted for your edification.

...what?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 08:06 PM   #238
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Snakes on the plane?
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 09:07 PM   #239
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
This has to be one of the most idiotic threads in the forum in a long while.
Well yes. The problem is how to respond without violating the MA in so many, many ways.
Old 7th October 2013, 09:24 PM   #240
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Well yes. The problem is how to respond without violating the MA in so many, many ways.

I don't think it's against the MA to point out the correlation between the number of posts by Alan Lowey and the amount of utter ******** in this thread.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal