ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cryptozoology , devil's footprints , ufos

Old 7th October 2013, 10:11 PM   #241
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

Originally Posted by Ketyk View Post
Please allow Alan Lowey to continue. We can all learn, and that seem a good idea.
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I always like to give new guys the benefit of the doubt, but I think you're right.
As do I. It was a learning experience nonetheless.
Ketyk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 10:16 PM   #242
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to present my hypothesis for the Devil's Footprints and UFO phenomena.
I hope this experience has taught you something.
Ketyk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 10:17 PM   #243
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

As do I. It was a learning experience nonetheless.

How so?

I honestly didn't learn anything (of any value) new, but maybe I missed something.

Last edited by AdMan; 7th October 2013 at 10:19 PM.
AdMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th October 2013, 10:21 PM   #244
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

It reminded me to use critical thinking skills, and to verify facts, and site reputable sources............
Old 8th October 2013, 01:14 AM   #245
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I dimly recalled an episode related in an old book of mine by the impeccable researcher Charles Berlitz, about an airplane that was mysteriously attacked in flight by something; but I didn't remember the details so I went back, digging up the book. Here's the passage, referencing an incident which took place on some unspecified date in 1939:

Quote:
Something terrifying happened in the air one day in the late summer of 1939, and to this day the incident is shrouded in secrecy. All that is known is that a millitary transport plane left the Marine Naval Air Station in San Diego at 3:30 one afternoon. It and it's thirteen man crew were making a routine flight to Honolulu. Three hours later, as the plane was over the Pacific Ocean, a frantic distress signal was sounded. Then the radio signal died. A little later the plane limped back to base and made an emergeny landing. Ground crew members rushed to the craft and when they boarded, they were horrified to see twelve dead men. The only survivor was the copilot, who though badly injured had stayed alive long enough to bring the plane back. A few minutes later he was dead, too.

All of the bodies had large, gaping wounds. Even weirder, the pilot and copilot had emptied their .45 Colt Automatic pistols at something. The empty shells were found lying on the floor of the cockpit. A foul, sulfuric odor pervaded the interior of the craft. The exterior of the airplane was badly damaged, looking as if it had been struck by missiles. The personnel who boarded the craft came down with an odd skin infection.

Strict security measures were quickly put into effect and the emergency ground crew was ordered to leave the plane. The job of removing the bodies and investigating the incident was left to three medical officers. The incident was successfully hushed up and did not come to light for fifteen years, when investigator Robert Coe Gardner learned of it from someone who was there. The mystery of what the crew encountered in midair that afternoon in 1939 has never been solved.
In retrospect, this does seem like it may have been an attack by some kind of animal, perhaps of the giant dragonfly variety. Submitted for your edification.

...what?

Thank you for that account Checkmite. I hadn't heard of that one before. It's one of the most interesting that I've come across of that kind. The sulphurus smell is a common feature of UFO ground-based incidents as well as the skin infections afterwards.

There's been hundreds of air and ship incidents of this nature. A well documented on is:
Pilot Frederick Valentich's disappearance - Australian UFO case

It also reminded me of this recent UFO attack on a car:
UFO Attacks Couples Car Watching Brown Mountain Lights

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 8th October 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 01:19 AM   #246
Alan Lowey
Muse

It reminded me to use critical thinking skills, and to verify facts, and site reputable sources............

Thanks Ketyk. Yes, I always learn something new when submitting ideas to a new group for discussion. The last post from Checkmite was a very good example.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 01:53 AM   #247
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

Alan, I have tried to help you. You need to limit your quotes. Provide the reference without the actual words.

Do you understand?
Old 8th October 2013, 01:54 AM   #248
Ketyk
Earthbound Misfit

I hope so, because otherwise I cannot help you.
Old 8th October 2013, 04:49 AM   #249
tuxcat
Muse

Alan, I am very curious how you are able to come up with information about an UNIDENTIFIED Object, unless you are making it up. This is a very big question that needs to be answered.
tuxcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 06:47 AM   #250
Alareth
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Rods were mercilessly crushed long ago by reason and sanity...

http://www.opendb.com/sol/seq.htm
I'm fully aware of that, I just wanted to see if he would attempt to incorporate them into his Grand Unified Dragonfly Theory of WooTM which already covers UFO's, mysterious hoofprints, the chupacabra, the Loch Ness monster and Mongolian Death Worms.
Alareth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 06:51 AM   #251
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

delete, wrong thread

Last edited by jaydeehess; 8th October 2013 at 06:52 AM.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 08:04 AM   #252
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
How so?

I honestly didn't learn anything (of any value) new, but maybe I missed something.
I learned that male dragonflies have claspers and that I still don't like EDM.

A giant hoping dragon fly in the middle of winter in England. I have been through a few british winters. People shouldn't even be there.
Old 8th October 2013, 08:06 AM   #253
Correa Neto
Philosopher

Waiting for reptilians vs giant praying mantis all-out fight...
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 08:09 AM   #254
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by tuxcat View Post
Alan, I am very curious how you are able to come up with information about an UNIDENTIFIED Object, unless you are making it up. This is a very big question that needs to be answered.
To most people the "U" in UFO conforms to the standard definition of "Unidentified." For some the "U" is understood to mean alien space craft.
Old 8th October 2013, 08:10 AM   #255
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
A giant hoping dragon fly in the middle of winter in England. I have been through a few british winters. People shouldn't even be there.
Was it hoping for better weather?
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 09:46 AM   #256
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
To most people the "U" in UFO conforms to the standard definition of "Unidentified." For some the "U" is understood to mean alien space craft.
Or "Uranus". Say there, Mr. Dragonfly, didn't I see you hopping around on Uranus the other day?

Last edited by Mike!; 8th October 2013 at 09:47 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 10:08 AM   #257
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
I'm fully aware of that, I just wanted to see if he would attempt to incorporate them into his Grand Unified Dragonfly Theory of WooTM which already covers UFO's, mysterious hoofprints, the chupacabra, the Loch Ness monster and Mongolian Death Worms.
But on the other hand, it's quite tidy, because you've taken all these different disparate alleged "phenomena" and juxtaposed them into just this one single new Earth-native animal (or a single genus at least, with perhaps a couple different specie worldwide). It's a welcome simplification, in that sense.

Of course, the problem is that the simplification is illusory, because the complication just transfers from external to internal - suddenly you've got to build an entire new anatomy, locomotion, and behavior for this animal which turns out to have very little at all in common with dragonflies except for its shape (and even that's a mostly arbitrary decision), to explain how it can manifest or be observed/interpreted as the cause of these apparently different-sounding claims.

However, an animal is still not a strictly paranormal explanation, nor does it invoke alien beings, mysterious magical powers, spirit realms, and so forth. It injures people and other animals by physically biting them; his proposed flight system would never work but it yet attempts to utilize known principles rather than "quantum" physics, energy, or as-yet-undiscovered "science". Therefore I don't find his wild conjecture as annoying as that of followers of these other fantastical/paranormal schools of so-called thought.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 10:35 AM   #258
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Was it hoping for better weather?
No it was hopping for better weather. Didn't the tracks lead south?
Old 8th October 2013, 10:40 AM   #259
Correa Neto
Philosopher

What about some bug recipes? Giant insects can be a big and cheap source of proteins.

Maybe pics of some cute larvae?
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 10:47 AM   #260
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

..... Therefore I don't find his wild conjecture as annoying as that of followers of these other fantastical/paranormal schools of so-called thought.
I do.

The reason I find it more annoying than the paranormal-type claims is that it dressed itself initially as attempting to be reasonable (albeit stupid), and thus I read the damn stuff. Paranormal nonsense is obvious from the title usually, and thus one isn't troubled to read it. Therefore paranormal guff gives me zero annoyance as I don't let it enter my life, whereas this guff entered my life surreptitiously, under false pretences, with a medium annoyance factor.

I wonder if the OP has ever found a single person anywhere on the entire interwebthingy in the 5 or 7 years he has been spreading this tosh who has agreed with his theory?
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 11:47 AM   #261
Alan Lowey
Muse

But on the other hand, it's quite tidy, because you've taken all these different disparate alleged "phenomena" and juxtaposed them into just this one single new Earth-native animal (or a single genus at least, with perhaps a couple different specie worldwide). It's a welcome simplification, in that sense.

Thank you. I was impressed with this paragraph.

Don't forget that they can cause disruption of the human mind and electronics in general just from their gaze. Alpha wave science is relatively new. We have lots to learn.

Looking to the far future, we could possibly use the "mana from heaven" fungus cultivation of the dragonflies (if correct) to feed the world. We could have a new air-propulsion system and even personal transportation at faster-than-the-eye-can-see speed.

The future is looking bright.
Old 8th October 2013, 01:44 PM   #262
Biscuit
Philosopher

Well I, for one, welcome our new giant dragon fly overlords and the all the gazing and electronic interference that comes with them.
Old 8th October 2013, 01:48 PM   #263
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Well I, for one, welcome our new giant dragon fly overlords and the all the gazing and electronic interference that comes with them.
Likewise! I'm not as convinced by the fart propulsion, though. I can see there being some slight... problems with that.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 01:49 PM   #264
Alan Lowey
Muse

I've just seen that North Carolina has it's own mystery hoof prints:

The Mysterious Hoofprints

Quote:
An Unexplained Phenomenon

Today, about a mile west of Bath, the round shallow depressions in the ground — the infamous "hoofprints" — are as visible as ever. And there are certain qualities of these depressions that have baffled and mystified people for generations.

Though unsheltered, the holes remain free of grass, leaves, pine needles, or debris of any kind.
Old 8th October 2013, 01:51 PM   #265
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
Likewise! I'm not as convinced by the fart propulsion, though. I can see there being some slight... problems with that.

Funny you should mention that because the standard dragonfly nymph does just that:

Quote:
They breathe through gills in their rectum, and can rapidly propel themselves by suddenly expelling water through the anus.
Old 8th October 2013, 01:56 PM   #266
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

I dimly recalled an episode related in an old book of mine by the impeccable researcher Charles Berlitz, about an airplane that was mysteriously attacked in flight by something; but I didn't remember the details so I went back, digging up the book. Here's the passage, referencing an incident which took place on some unspecified date in 1939:

Quote:
...The exterior of the airplane was badly damaged, looking as if it had been struck by missiles...
Oh, Charles, you prankster!
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 02:10 PM   #267
Biscuit
Philosopher

Funny you should mention that because the standard dragonfly nymph does just that:
And what does the standard dragonfly do?

ETA: Also that is not flatulence being described.
Old 8th October 2013, 04:29 PM   #268
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Thank you. I was impressed with this paragraph.

Don't forget that they can cause disruption of the human mind and electronics in general just from their gaze. Alpha wave science is relatively new. We have lots to learn.

Looking to the far future, we could possibly use the "mana from heaven" fungus cultivation of the dragonflies (if correct) to feed the world. We could have a new air-propulsion system and even personal transportation at faster-than-the-eye-can-see speed.

The future is looking bright.
We need to learn from large dragonflies who hop around on their tails in the winter?
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th October 2013, 05:54 PM   #269
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
On the other hand, methane is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2. If this fart propelled dragonfly is undergoing a population increase, that could explain global climate change.
It's all starting to make sense...
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2013, 09:30 PM   #270
dropzone
Master Poster

I dimly recalled an episode related in an old book of mine by the impeccable researcher Charles Berlitz...

...what?
Yes, I always learn something new when submitting ideas to a new group for discussion. The last post from Checkmite was a very good example.
What sound does a giant dragonfly make when it flies overhead?
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2013, 09:52 PM   #271
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
What sound does a giant dragonfly make when it flies overhead?

It's fairly silent a.k.a the "black helicopters" which fly at night and are said to be silent or near-silent.

Phantom Copter Mystery Baffles Police

Quote:
Back in late 1973 and on into 1974 Northern England was gripped by a number of unexplained helicopter sightings. They were almost exclusively in the hours of darkness, often in bad weather and over difficult terrain.

This was a time of heightened IRA activity and it was feared that their terrorists were operating illegally in the UK. Furthermore information from convicted IRA terrorists implied that the IRA had acquired a helicopter and were using it to plan a jailbreak, terrorist incident or steal industrial explosives.

In early autumn, at the end of September 1973, security guard Simon Crowe was working late at night. Crowe’s job was to secure high explosives stored in a quarry high on the Peak District moors near Buxton. Residents in the area had reported a helicopter attempting to land inside the quarry and called local police. Crowe was alerted and had access to a Landrover to negotiate the terrain. He was called out twice in the same week but was unable to resolve the mystery.

On the first night he spotted an object hovering roughly fifty feet above the ground and shining a spotlight down into the quarry. However as he approached in the Landrover , it rose slowly and then flew away. On the next occasion, Crowe was not aware of anything until it rose out of the quarry and he saw the lights. It rapidly disappeared in the same direction as before. Crowe stated that although the object had an ability to hover and the sound of rotor-blades were audible he could not verify he had actually seen a helicopter.

Even this guy wouldn't try it at night: Insane Helicopter Pilot

Attached Images
File Type: gif Phantom copter mystery.gif (46.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 11th October 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11th October 2013, 10:09 PM   #272
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Is this the "Let's see how much idiotic woo we can fit in one thread," thread?
Old 11th October 2013, 10:36 PM   #273
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Gt1sKv2vo

Those dragonfly pilots are amazing.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2013, 02:12 AM   #274
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Gt1sKv2vo

Those dragonfly pilots are amazing.

Still not in the pitch dark though.
Old 12th October 2013, 02:53 AM   #275
tuxcat
Muse

That's why I nominated it for an October Stundie.
tuxcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2013, 09:30 AM   #276
Biscuit
Philosopher

This is either a great thread or the greatest thread.
Old 12th October 2013, 06:49 PM   #277
dropzone
Master Poster

It's fairly silent a.k.a the "black helicopters" which fly at night and are said to be silent or near-silent.
Specifically, it makes a soft, "whooshing" sound.

Last edited by dropzone; 12th October 2013 at 06:51 PM.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2013, 07:45 PM   #278
Alan Lowey
Muse

A commentator on the 'Black Helicopter' article interestingly states: "..may be coincidence but the U.S. was also gripped by a number of 'mystery helicopter' sightings one year later" and provides an official document which adds to the mystery:

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 12th October 2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12th October 2013, 07:49 PM   #279
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Described by people who would know, too.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2013, 08:47 PM   #280
dropzone
Master Poster

He really is that slow, isn't he?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal