ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cryptozoology , devil's footprints , ufos

Old 12th October 2013, 08:51 PM   #281
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
He really is that slow, isn't he?
I don't know...

If we had totally silent helicopters in the 1970's we must have totally invisible and silent ones by now...that run on nuclear fusion and anti-gravity.

No wonder we can't find a bigfoot body.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2013, 09:07 PM   #282
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Well, I need to bookmark this thread so I might as well throw in a comment.

Dragonflies are far from silent in flight. The whirring sound of their wings is quite loud if you're ever in an empty room with one. Much louder than flies or mosquitoes in flight. And one of these fantastical giant ones would probably create quite a racket.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2013, 10:06 PM   #283
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

So the über dragonfly has now turned into The Hypnotoad?
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2013, 11:03 PM   #284
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

Dragonflies are far from silent in flight. The whirring sound of their wings is quite loud if you're ever in an empty room with one. Much louder than flies or mosquitoes in flight. And one of these fantastical giant ones would probably create quite a racket.
But it pogoes along on it's butt quietly though...

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 01:18 AM   #285
Alan Lowey
Muse

Please see post#43:

Quote:
I propose that meganeura has evolved a straight-through trachea system which doubles as a silent air-propulsion system. Blood from fish and amphibians prey species could be stored in the thick wing veins to increase oxygen uptake capability.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 01:20 AM   #286
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
I don't know...

If we had totally silent helicopters in the 1970's we must have totally invisible and silent ones by now...that run on nuclear fusion and anti-gravity.

No wonder we can't find a bigfoot body.

I've worked in the defense industry and your comment sounds as if it's from someone very young and uninformed.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 01:59 AM   #287
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
Please see post#43:
Because wild baseless speculation is always to be preferred to facts.

I've worked in the defense industry and your comment sounds as if it's from someone very young and uninformed.
It sounds like the sarcastic comment of someone mature and well informed to me. Like my previous comment.
Old 13th October 2013, 02:39 AM   #288
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Please see post#43:
I wasn't discussing Fartoramia, but actual dragonflies.

And you need to go back to the drawing boards for Odanata Fartoramia. The blood-gorged wings would make it too heavy to fly.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 02:50 AM   #289
Agatha
Winking at the Moon

Fly? It doesn't need to fly when it can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Vodka kills salmonella and all other enemies of freedom for sure - Nationalcosmopolitan
Agatha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 04:04 AM   #290
Alan Lowey
Muse

And you need to go back to the drawing boards for Odanata Fartoramia. The blood-gorged wings would make it too heavy to fly.

That's what people used to say about airplanes.
Old 13th October 2013, 04:27 AM   #291
tuxcat
Muse

Pity that aeroplanes actually work and your dragonflies don't. Aeroplanes are well-based in physics. Your dragonflies are not predicted by any biologist.

ETA: could this be the start of the aeroplane gambit - we've got the Gallileo one already.
tuxcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 06:08 AM   #292
Correa Neto
Philosopher

OK, now I have this wonderful cover-up for my loud farts...

GIANT DRAGONFLY!!!!!! RUN FOR YOR LIVES!!!!!!

Unless, of course, next thing we'll read is about muffled anus...
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Together we can find the cure
Oh, and together we can find a cure to religion too…
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 06:28 AM   #293
tsig
a carbon based life-form

And they were right until we got sufficiently efficient engines.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 07:12 AM   #294
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
And they were right until we got sufficiently efficient engines.
Fact; Modern airplanes work by the pilot and co pilot eating a buffet of varies chili's and standing at the back of the plane and letting her rip.

My issue isn't with flight, Fart propulsion or The pogostick markings.

My issue is the same issue with ole footer, No bodies and as it always seems, no clear photos.
Proud woo denier

Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 13th October 2013 at 07:15 AM.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 08:42 AM   #295
Biscuit
Philosopher

And planes can't fly with fuel in their wings!? Ramjet dragonflies are the future.

Actually Alan this is a really good point.
Old 13th October 2013, 09:17 AM   #296
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
And planes can't fly with fuel in their wings!? Ramjet dragonflies are the future.

Actually Alan this is a really good point.

No, I don't agree. Blood is around four times more efficient at oxygen uptake than insect fluid. The giant dragonflies had 100 million years of evolution without any other flying competition. If all-the-way-through trachea tube physiology was developed, then they would have the extra flight power necessary to compensate for the added weight. Dragonflies have four wings. If two wings stored blood in the veins, this would give it an advantage over other flying predatory dragonflies imv. These blood-using ones would be the only ones able to compete against the early birds and so maintain their size.
Old 13th October 2013, 09:26 AM   #297
Alan Lowey
Muse

There's been links with so called 'black helicopters' and cattle mutilations. This Wikipedia quote shows how bizarre the government-behind-it-all hypothesis really is. A secretive flying giant insect makes more sense imv:

Quote:
Theories of government involvement in cattle mutilation have been further fueled by "black helicopter" sightings near mutilation sites. On April 8, 1979, three police officers in Dulce, New Mexico, reported a mysterious aircraft which resembled a U.S. military helicopter hovering around a site following a wave of mutilation which claimed 16 cows. On July 15, 1974, two unregistered helicopters, a white helicopter and a black twin-engine aircraft, opened fire on Robert Smith Jr. while he was driving his tractor on his farm in Honey Creek, Iowa[disambiguation needed]. This attack followed a rash of mutilations in the area and across the nearby border in Nebraska. The reports of "helicopter" involvement have been used to explain why some cattle appear to have been "dropped" from considerable heights.
Old 13th October 2013, 09:27 AM   #298
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

It's well known that dragonflies weren't competitive with early birds, even when predating on slow-moving annelids and nematodes.

Thus the scientific maxim: "The early bird gets the worm."
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 09:32 AM   #299
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by TjW View Post
It's well known that dragonflies weren't competitive with early birds, even when predating on slow-moving annelids and nematodes.

Thus the scientific maxim: "The early bird gets the worm."

Where's your link?
Old 13th October 2013, 10:17 AM   #300
Correa Neto
Philosopher

"Where's your link?"

Amazing. Hey, where are your links showing post-Paleozoic giant dragonfly fossils? Show us a link for any fossil of a giant insect close to the size of those you propose.

Where are your links showing the criters you propose are even possible?
Please, don't waste our time with woo links, such as sighting reports or "I propose" stuff. No "I propose". Show us similar animals.

Show us an animal that stores blood from other animals in the wings -or anywhere else- and actually uses it to store oxigen. No "I propose". Show us the animal.

Show us a single real animal - a large flying one - with fart propulsion. Again, no "I propose". Show us the animal.
Racism, sexism, ignorance, homophobia, intolerance, extremism, authoritarianism, environmental disasters, politically correct crap, violence at sport stadiums, slavery, poverty, wars, people who disagree with me:
Correa Neto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 11:12 AM   #301
TjW
Penultimate Amazing

Where's your link?
http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.o...30578.abstract

It's right there in the title.

Last edited by TjW; 13th October 2013 at 11:14 AM.
TjW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 11:18 AM   #302
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by TjW View Post

Errr....the title says "songbirds" not ancient dragonflies.
Old 13th October 2013, 11:29 AM   #303
Alan Lowey
Muse

Hold on to your hats skeptics. There's evidence that a giant flying insect has attached itself to the Apollo 17 spacecraft after launch and been left in orbit around the moon. I kid you not:

Photograph-Video Montage of Giant Insect In Orbit Around Moon

Quote:
Date of discovery: August 24, 2013
Location of sighting: Earths Moon
Mission: Apollo 17, moon landing
Source NASA photo: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/AS17-134-20416HR.jpg

That means that there's probably some floating around Earth. The so called (squished) Black Knight is a possible candidate.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg moon-bug-orbit.jpg (22.2 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 13th October 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 13th October 2013, 11:54 AM   #304
Correa Neto
Philosopher

AAAAAHHHH!

Its Bemstar! Someone please call Ultraman!!!
http://ultra.wikia.com/wiki/Bemstar

Run for your lives skeptics!
Old 13th October 2013, 02:47 PM   #305
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

My hat stayed put, Someone can correct me here but wasn't the black knight satellite determined to be a space derelict?
Proud woo denier
Old 13th October 2013, 03:29 PM   #306
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The title of this thread should be changed to "Feed the Troll."

"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 05:06 PM   #307
Correa Neto
Philosopher

But of course!

We're feeding it. When its fat enough, we shall offer it as food to the giant dragonfly we keep in our garage.
Old 13th October 2013, 05:15 PM   #308
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It sounds like you don't recognize when people are pointing at you and laughing...

I was in the US Army, and the defense industry sucks.

Old 13th October 2013, 05:16 PM   #309
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Well, I put it in no uncertain terms early in the thread...

Old 13th October 2013, 05:17 PM   #310
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
My hat stayed put, Someone can correct me here but wasn't the black knight satellite determined to be a space derelict?
Strictly speaking the "Black Knight satellite" is an amalgamation of several completely different and unrelated phenomena - which, however, have all been adequately explained yes.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 05:44 PM   #311
GT/CS
Illuminator

You have not worked in the defense industry.

We understand this is a parody thread and that's the most humorous thing you've posted to date.

Last edited by GT/CS; 13th October 2013 at 05:46 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 06:19 PM   #312
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Strictly speaking the "Black Knight satellite" is an amalgamation of several completely different and unrelated phenomena - which, however, have all been adequately explained yes.

Thanks for the sensible post Checkmite. I happy to check this idea. I haven't seen a site which says that an amalgamation of entities is the identity which have all been explained. Can you provide a link?
Old 13th October 2013, 06:20 PM   #313
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I think we may have stumbled onto something. Ya see, the tradition of oral history and telling stories around the fires in the caves lost something when writing became commonplace. Original stories got twisted and changed.

The ancients held odonata fartoramia in such high esteem that there were legends about them. Many still exist but cheap publishers truncated the text to save money on printing. St. George and the Dragonfly,.... Pete's Dragonfly,.... How to Train Your Dragonfly..... Dragonflyheart..... How different our understanding of the world would be if they had left these oral histories in tact.

The telling one, though, is Puff the Magic Dragonfly. What more appropriate a name for a creature that propels itself with farts?
Old 13th October 2013, 06:27 PM   #314
Alan Lowey
Muse

There's been links with so called 'black helicopters' and cattle mutilations. This Wikipedia quote shows how bizarre the government-behind-it-all hypothesis really is. A secretive flying giant insect makes more sense imv:

Quote:
Quote:
Theories of government involvement in cattle mutilation have been further fueled by "black helicopter" sightings near mutilation sites. On April 8, 1979, three police officers in Dulce, New Mexico, reported a mysterious aircraft which resembled a U.S. military helicopter hovering around a site following a wave of mutilation which claimed 16 cows. On July 15, 1974, two unregistered helicopters, a white helicopter and a black twin-engine aircraft, opened fire on Robert Smith Jr. while he was driving his tractor on his farm in Honey Creek, Iowa[disambiguation needed]. This attack followed a rash of mutilations in the area and across the nearby border in Nebraska. The reports of "helicopter" involvement have been used to explain why some cattle appear to have been "dropped" from considerable heights.

I forgot to mention that the alternative explanation for why some cattle appear to have been dropped from a considerable height is that this is how they immobilize them whilst keeping them alive. A beating heart would be necessary in order to facilitate the sucking of the blood of such a large animal. It makes more sense than the government 'black helicopters' dropping them.

There's only two valid explanations for this phenomena:

(i) Government 'black helicopters' drop the cows accidentally
(ii) Giant Flying Insects drop them on purpose

If you don't agree with hypothesis number (ii) then you're unwittingly subscribing to hypothesis number (i).
Old 13th October 2013, 06:31 PM   #315
dropzone
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. Or insanity. Or a mix of the two."

dropzone's Twin-Blade Trac II Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Alan Lowey, the first first thing you need to do when confronting Fortean events like this is not to explain how it could be done, either by proposing a natural cause, like bunny tracks in melting snow, or a preternatural cause, like your ridiculous hopping dragonflies. No, the first thing you must ask is, "Did this really happen?" Do you have physical proof of the event, or are you relying on sources that are, frankly, unreliable?

Case in point: Newspapers and magazines of the 19th Century were not above running hoaxes in order to drum up circulation or to gain publicity for their towns. On his own, Lou Stone, of Winsted, CT created many of them, some obvious jokes but others that were taken seriously, like the farmer who found his lost watch seven years later in the stomach of his cow, wound by the stomach muscles so it still kept near-perfect time. I have seen that one reprinted a couple times, with breathless attestations that, if it was in a newspaper, it must be true!

BZZZZZZT! Wrong! Newspeople can be lying, joking, stirring up trouble, gullible, or just trying to fill column inches with whatever crap they can find. Benjamin Franklin, the only President of the United States who was never President of the United States, was not above it. Charles Fort filled books with examples of anomalous phenomena, including IIRC the watch one, which he presented with a wink because he liked to poke fun of the pompous windbags that were the famous scientists of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Earlier in this thread Checkmite whooshed you with a story from "the impeccable researcher Charles Berlitz," and you seemed to fall for it, hook, line, and sinker. Berlitz was a fraud and he researched his books about the Bermuda Triangle and other phenomena no farther than to say "This ship disappeared!" without noting that the port's logs showed it sailing in a day late. See: The Bermuda Triangle Mystery - Solved by Larry Kusche for a detailed dissection of Berlitz's claims.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are acting like a sucker, accepting all sorts of junk at face value and imagining highly-complex and improbable explanations to force the junk to behave in a way that you, an intelligent and educated person, can accept. You know that a cloven-hoofed demon capering across the landscape is just silly on the face of it, and that there has to be a naturalistic explanation. That's great, and it's what the JREF is all about.

What you have not done is ask how such a story could start and how it could grow with the telling. For instance, a farmer awakens one Sunday morning in Spring and sees crescent-shaped tracks in the melting snow leading from his yard into his field. At church he mentions them to a neighbor who said that he saw some like that, too. They are at church and thinking like this so one person suggests they looks like the Devil's footprints and before the recessional hymn the story has grown to demon tracks all over the county. This gets picked up by a newspaper, goes viral (slow news day), and folks all over the country start seeing them, misinterpreting natural phenomena or just imagining them. Instant "paranormal" incident to be republished for the next 150 years.

The key is to not be a rube. Being skeptical of all sorts of bushwa may make you boring at parties, but you get to bask in the smug self-satisfaction that you are usually right and that True Believers are generally idiots.

Last edited by dropzone; 13th October 2013 at 06:38 PM.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 06:35 PM   #316
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I forgot to mention that the alternative explanation for why some cattle appear to have been dropped from a considerable height is that this is how they immobilize them whilst keeping them alive. A beating heart would be necessary in order to facilitate the sucking of the blood of such a large animal. It makes more sense than the government 'black helicopters' dropping them.

There's only two valid explanations for this phenomena:

(i) Government 'black helicopters' drop the cows accidentally
(ii) Giant Flying Insects drop them on purpose

If you don't agree with hypothesis number (ii) then you're unwittingly subscribing to hypothesis number (i).
Why, yes, because in order to replace a bizarre lunatic fringe theory we need an equally bizarre lunatic fringe theory. But you left out...

iii - The cattle have evidence of falling from heights because they've been practicing pole vaulting at night so that they can get over fences and make crop circles.

iv - badgers. Playful airborne badgers with four foot wingspans swoop down on the unsuspecting cattle and toss them back and forth in mid-air in a sort of flying badger version of frisbee. Badgers don't have opposable thumbs, though, so they often inadvertently drop the cattle.
Old 13th October 2013, 07:23 PM   #317
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Japanese children catch large dragonflies as a game, using a hair with a small pebble tied to each end, which they throw into the air. The dragonfly mistakes the pebbles for prey, gets tangled in the hair, and is dragged to the ground by the weight.
Stupid dragonflies...all you need are 2 rocks and some fishing line...

Old 13th October 2013, 07:36 PM   #318
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

I have never heard anyone say of airplanes that their blood-engorged wings would make them too heavy to fly. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the words "airplane" and "blood-engorged wings" in the same paragraph, much less the same sentence.
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 08:20 PM   #319
Vortigern99
Sorcerer Supreme

Why, yes, because in order to replace a bizarre lunatic fringe theory we need an equally bizarre lunatic fringe theory. But you left out...

iii - The cattle have evidence of falling from heights because they've been practicing pole vaulting at night so that they can get over fences and make crop circles.

iv - badgers. Playful airborne badgers with four foot wingspans swoop down on the unsuspecting cattle and toss them back and forth in mid-air in a sort of flying badger version of frisbee. Badgers don't have opposable thumbs, though, so they often inadvertently drop the cattle.
v - Intergalactic space aliens.

vi - Intragalactic space aliens.

vii - Communist interlopers.

viii - Frisky scientists with cow magnets.

ix - Bessie, Sky-God of Cows (we have one, why not bovines?)

etc.

I loathe false dichotomies.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 08:34 PM   #320
Correa Neto
Philosopher

You forgot the obvious-

Hey diddle diddle,
The Cat and the fiddle,
The Cow jumped over the moon.
The little Dog laughed,
To see such sport,
And the Dish ran away with the Spoon.
While it hit the ground with a KABOOOOM!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal