ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cryptozoology , devil's footprints , ufos

Old 13th October 2013, 08:53 PM   #321
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Alan Lowey View Post
I forgot to mention that the alternative explanation for why some cattle appear to have been dropped from a considerable height is that this is how they immobilize them whilst keeping them alive. A beating heart would be necessary in order to facilitate the sucking of the blood of such a large animal. It makes more sense than the government 'black helicopters' dropping them.

There's only two valid explanations for this phenomena:

(i) Government 'black helicopters' drop the cows accidentally
(ii) Giant Flying Insects drop them on purpose

If you don't agree with hypothesis number (ii) then you're unwittingly subscribing to hypothesis number (i).

Is there any wooish nonsense that you don't believe?
Old 13th October 2013, 09:23 PM   #322
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Well, I put it in no uncertain terms early in the thread...
Oh, I'm not suggesting anyone should stop. I'm having a good time here.

"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 09:26 PM   #323
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I've worked in the defense industry and your comment sounds as if it's from someone very young and uninformed.
Sweeping up after hours hardly qualifies one as expert on anything, except perhaps broom pushing.

"Shemp, you are the one fixed point in an ever-changing universe." - Beady

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 09:31 PM   #324
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Oh, I'm not suggesting anyone should stop. I'm having a good time here.
Well, if you really want fun, go out and try to bait in a giant dragonfly...

You know how to track them now...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2013, 10:52 PM   #325
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Alareth View Post
I'm fully aware of that, I just wanted to see if he would attempt to incorporate them into his Grand Unified Dragonfly Theory of WooTM which already covers UFO's, mysterious hoofprints, the chupacabra, the Loch Ness monster and Mongolian Death Worms.
I eagerly await incorporation of Bunyips and Drop Bears into the narrative.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 01:01 AM   #326
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

iv - badgers. Playful airborne badgers with four foot wingspans swoop down on the unsuspecting cattle and toss them back and forth in mid-air in a sort of flying badger version of frisbee. Badgers don't have opposable thumbs, though, so they often inadvertently drop the cattle.
Here we have video evidence of flying, winged Badgers with opposable thumbs.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 01:23 AM   #327
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Here we have video evidence of flying, winged Badgers with opposable thumbs.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
I don't knoooooooow..... looks to me like he's getting ready to shred with his right hand,... er paw... and is using his fingernails,... er talons... but there's no thumb in evidence. But they've apparently evolved enough to understand that a guitar strap will hold the instrument in place, so maybe they could develop cattle straps as a sort of safety tether so they wouldn't splatter so many of them across the landscape.

And, yes, Damien... I think Drop Bears are as likely a candidate as the supersonic hoppity farting dragonfly. They're very adaptable, are those Drop Bears and I have no doubt there could be a variety that has developed a cloven footed pogo stick ideal for making these prints and just hopped across three continents and a whole bunch of water to get there.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 01:29 AM   #328
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

and just hopped across three continents and a whole bunch of water to get there.
So not China than? apparently they have no water left.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 04:34 AM   #329
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
So not China than? apparently they have no water left.

Would that Ibn was quite so creative. Maybe the dragonflies sucked up all the water.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 07:44 AM   #330
tsig
a carbon based life-form

I forgot to mention that the alternative explanation for why some cattle appear to have been dropped from a considerable height is that this is how they immobilize them whilst keeping them alive. A beating heart would be necessary in order to facilitate the sucking of the blood of such a large animal. It makes more sense than the government 'black helicopters' dropping them.

There's only two valid explanations for this phenomena:

(i) Government 'black helicopters' drop the cows accidentally
(ii) Giant Flying Insects drop them on purpose

If you don't agree with hypothesis number (ii) then you're unwittingly subscribing to hypothesis number (i).
Maybe they're throwing them out deliberately to make the others talk.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 07:55 AM   #331
tsig
a carbon based life-form

Would that Ibn was quite so creative. Maybe the dragonflies sucked up all the water.
Giant dragonflies emptying rivers? I'd think we'd have heard.
tsig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 07:56 AM   #332
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

This thread needs more pteranodons.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 08:01 AM   #333
Biscuit
Philosopher

No, I don't agree. Blood is around four times more efficient at oxygen uptake than insect fluid. The giant dragonflies had 100 million years of evolution without any other flying competition. If all-the-way-through trachea tube physiology was developed, then they would have the extra flight power necessary to compensate for the added weight. Dragonflies have four wings. If two wings stored blood in the veins, this would give it an advantage over other flying predatory dragonflies imv. These blood-using ones would be the only ones able to compete against the early birds and so maintain their size.
I have highlighted the depth of your dragonfly knowledge.
Old 14th October 2013, 08:33 AM   #334
Biscuit
Philosopher

unpossible! Water doesn't have a beating heart thus water can not be sucked up.
Old 14th October 2013, 08:36 AM   #335
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Plus, where would it go? all that blood is already filling up it's tubes.
Old 14th October 2013, 10:40 AM   #336
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tsig View Post
Maybe they're throwing them out deliberately to make the others talk.
Maybe they are trying to get the Minecraft cow tipper achievement?
Old 14th October 2013, 03:50 PM   #337
dropzone
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Are you sure? After all, we know it has a memory.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 05:54 PM   #338
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
It was an earlier model. Alan's dealing with the new turbines. Why back in my day we didn't have no fancy-dancy turbine powered giant dragonflies. No sirree. We had good old fashioned steam powered giant dragonflies. You kids don't know how good you have it. Damned dragonflies'd come in at night and steal the coal from the grate to power up their steam generators then fly over and suck up all the water from the lake. Now get off my lawn.
Old 14th October 2013, 06:12 PM   #339
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Well yes. The problem is how to respond without violating the MA in so many, many ways.
If that's your attitude, would pledging allegiance to our hidden insect overlords be appropriate?
Old 14th October 2013, 07:34 PM   #340
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Old 14th October 2013, 08:30 PM   #341
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Totally nommed--even if we have to make a new category...
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 08:37 PM   #342
AdMan
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Totally nommed--even if we have to make a new category...
Agree.

What's a little bit scary is that Alan is totally going to buy into that.
Old 14th October 2013, 08:44 PM   #343
dropzone
Graduate Poster

But where is the frumious bandersnatch?

Oh yeah--it's a male.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 09:37 PM   #344
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
Agree.

What's a little bit scary is that Alan is totally going to buy into that.
I say, when you accidentally run off a cliff... own it. Alllll the way down.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 10:26 PM   #345
Alan Lowey
Muse

I'm grateful for the effort Mike but a little disappointed that you've missed out the evolution to a fat body and fat legs due to all-the-way-through trachea tube physiology and efficiency.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2013, 11:17 PM   #346
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.......due to all-the-way-through trachea tube physiology and efficiency.
You do know what a trachea is, right?
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 03:45 AM   #347
tuxcat
Muse

Another hilarious drawing
tuxcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 04:46 AM   #348
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
I'm grateful for the effort Mike but a little disappointed that you've missed out the evolution to a fat body and fat legs due to all-the-way-through trachea tube physiology and efficiency.
I'm disappointed you didn't notice I included those features in the 'Stealth Mode' section of the sketch.
Old 15th October 2013, 06:15 AM   #349
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.........I included those features in the 'Stealth Mode' section of the sketch.
Ah, so visible only to the French......
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 06:16 AM   #350
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I'm disappointed you didn't notice I included those features in the 'Stealth Mode' section of the sketch.
I was going to compliment you on that particular sketch being by far the most accurate from my own recollections of encounters with them.
Old 15th October 2013, 08:33 AM   #351
Biscuit
Philosopher

I now know what I am going to be for halloween but I am going to add a top hat to class it up a bit.
Old 15th October 2013, 08:37 AM   #352
Biscuit
Philosopher

It was an earlier model. Alan's dealing with the new turbines. Why back in my day we didn't have no fancy-dancy turbine powered giant dragonflies. No sirree. We had good old fashioned steam powered giant dragonflies. You kids don't know how good you have it. Damned dragonflies'd come in at night and steal the coal from the grate to power up their steam generators then fly over and suck up all the water from the lake. Now get off my lawn.
Oh sure a steam powered giant dragonfly could. You didn't say steam powered. If you could be more exact in the future we can avoid this type of confusion.
Old 15th October 2013, 10:44 AM   #353
Alan Lowey
Muse

Oh ,okay, now I look a bit more closely. I think the tail is too long perhaps then. A short fat one now. The wing shape is now changed due to evolution. One pair are perhaps permanently held against the back and blood filled, whilst the other pair are able to fold back but also spread out with a slow flap to aid blood pumping. The open pair of wings when spread are shorter and fatter with a large curve, much like beetle wing covers.

You could even show a female with a grim-reaper hood, flying off to Africa for the winter.

Here's the sketch from the doctor who saw a medium sized one at 30,000ft.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg giant-insect-passenger-plane.jpg (143.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 15th October 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Alan Lowey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 10:48 AM   #354
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Oh ,okay, now I look a bit more closely. I think the tail is too long perhaps then. A short fat one now. The wing shape is now changed due to evolution. The rear pair are perhaps permanently held against the back and blood filled, whilst the forward pair are able to fold back but also spread out with a slow flap to aid blood pumping. The forward pair of wings when spread are shorter and fatter with a large curve, much like beetle wing covers.

You could even show a female with a grim-reaper hood, flying off to Africa for the winter.

There's very little oxygen at 30K and it's very cold up there. Well below zero.

And we can do without the gigantic pic on the board...

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 11:03 AM   #355
Donn
Philosopher

This is, sniff , the best gas-powered thread ever.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 11:08 AM   #356
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Images of the big bugs have apparently leaked out...

http://www.seroundtable.com/google-maps-real-bug.jpg

Old 15th October 2013, 11:46 AM   #357
GT/CS
Illuminator

Oh ,okay, now I look a bit more closely. I think the tail is too long perhaps then. A short fat one now. The wing shape is now changed due to evolution. One pair are perhaps permanently held against the back and blood filled, whilst the other pair are able to fold back but also spread out with a slow flap to aid blood pumping. The open pair of wings when spread are shorter and fatter with a large curve, much like beetle wing covers.

That is not a giant dragonfly, it's a giant house fly.
Everyone knows that giant house flies grow to be three or four times as large as giant dragonflies.

Last edited by GT/CS; 15th October 2013 at 01:27 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 12:03 PM   #358
Alan Lowey
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Images of the big bugs have apparently leaked out...

http://www.seroundtable.com/google-maps-real-bug.jpg

There's a better one of the 'giant' dragonfly on two frames of google-maps:

Frame 1
Frame 2

Zoom in on Frame 2 to see how big it seems to be. Bigger than ordinary or is it just an illusion?

Last edited by Alan Lowey; 15th October 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 15th October 2013, 12:21 PM   #359
Biscuit
Philosopher

My what an accurate detailed description of a creature that no one, including you, has ever seen.

Last edited by Biscuit; 15th October 2013 at 12:24 PM.
Biscuit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2013, 05:08 PM   #360
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

What this thread needs:

Stray Cat.

There's got to be an issue of Squid Fishing Monthly in the offing for this. He rarely posts now but drops in from time to time, I see. Maybe if we all wish real hard, he'll see this thread.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal