IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th December 2018, 03:48 PM   #1
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Name one or more favorite scientific facts!

I'll start.

The stars you see in the sky at night are snapshots of the distant past, and the stars themselves could be long dead.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:06 PM   #2
p0lka
Illuminator

Every one of your ancestors, in spite of the odds, lived long enough to reproduce.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:21 PM   #3
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

There is more carbon missing from agricultural soils worldwide than the extra carbon in the atmosphere causing AGW.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:30 PM   #4
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Profanity usage is effective for pain management.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 06:15 PM   #5
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
The stars you see in the sky at night are snapshots of the distant past, and the stars themselves could be long dead.
Er, um, not really. Most visible stars are within 200 light years. The furthest is about 16K light years. And it's not terribly likely any of the stars we can see is actually dead now. Betelgeuse is one of the few visible stars expected to explode "soon" but soon in this context is thought to be something like a million years. At 640 light years away that gives about 1 in 2,000 chance that it has already gone supernova.

ETA: https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ancient_stars.png

ETA: The one major galaxy we can see is a couple million years old.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 30th December 2018 at 06:19 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 07:32 PM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection.

Useful in photography, billiards, racquetball, jai-alai, marbles, light waves, sound waves, radio waves, too much to count.

Last edited by alfaniner; 30th December 2018 at 07:34 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 07:53 PM   #7
fromdownunder
Philosopher

When you turn your heater on in Winter you are not trying to get more hot, but trying to cool down at a more comfortable rate.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 08:06 PM   #8
TheGnome
Thinker

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection.

Useful in photography, billiards, racquetball, jai-alai, marbles, light waves, sound waves, radio waves, too much to count.
To continue in RecoveringYuppy's vein, things people consider to be scientic facts sometimes aren't.

This e.g. is definitely not true in the case of ball games like the four you mentioned, except as a rough first order approximation. It neglects the rotational momentum of the balls.
TheGnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 08:08 PM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The non-existence of the intra-mercurial planet "Vulcan", a planet, first proposed over 100 years ago, in order to try to explain the errors in Mercury's precession measurements...

Turns out that Mercury's precession errors are caused by the massive gravity well of the Sun due to General relativistic effects. This is beautifully explained for the layman in this short missive by Isaac Asimov - an oldie but a goodie

http://geobeck.tripod.com/frontier/planet.htm

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th December 2018 at 08:16 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 08:12 PM   #10
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

If you were to disassemble a man into his constituent atoms and then weigh those atoms, they would be about the same weight as the man. But if you disassembled the atoms into protons, neutrons and electrons and weighed each of those, they would only weigh about 5% of the guy.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 08:16 PM   #11
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
If you were to disassemble a man into his constituent atoms and then weigh those atoms, they would be about the same weight as the man. But if you disassembled the atoms into protons, neutrons and electrons and weighed each of those, they would only weigh about 5% of the guy.
How does that work?
Old 30th December 2018, 08:30 PM   #12
Red Baron Farms
Philosopher

How does that work?
Takes energy to disassemble atoms. E=MC2 I believe is the proper equation, although I too would like to see the math he is using.
"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system." Bill Mollison
Biome Carbon Cycle Management
Red Baron Farms is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 08:40 PM   #13
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

- About 1% of the static you saw when not tuned to channel on an old analog television set was background radiation from the Big Bang.
Old 30th December 2018, 08:45 PM   #14
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
- About 1% of the static you saw when not tuned to channel on an old analog television set was background radiation from the Big Bang.
Men, it was an overrated sitcom anyway.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:36 PM   #15
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

How does that work?

Beats the hell out of me. The energy holding the particles together is somehow also mass.

I got it from a book about questions science has yet to answer.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 10:19 PM   #16
cullennz
Banned

Banana trees "walk"
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 10:24 PM   #17
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

From the genetic standpoint we are more like yeast than unlike it.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 10:45 PM   #18
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Beats the hell out of me. The energy holding the particles together is somehow also mass.

I got it from a book about questions science has yet to answer.
Oh, cool!

eta:
Do you remember the name of the book?
Old 30th December 2018, 10:55 PM   #19
cullennz
Banned

Per size and ratio, gonorrhea is the strongest (known) creature on earth.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 10:57 PM   #20
Cheetah
Master Poster

You have been alive for more than 4.5 billion years, sort of.

Literally every living cell in your body has been functioning continuously for all that time.
Old 30th December 2018, 11:04 PM   #21
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post

Literally every living cell in your body has been functioning continuously for all that time.
Along the same lines I remember a QI episode that said your entire bodies cells are renewed every 7 years (might be out with the number slightly)

So in effect everyone over 7 is 7 years old
Old 30th December 2018, 11:08 PM   #22
cullennz
Banned

Found it

7-10

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 30th December 2018, 11:17 PM   #23
SusanB-M1
Incurable Optimist

There were many facts in 'Living With The Stars' by Karel and Iris Schrijver - far too many to remember - but there was one about thousands of C4 atoms in each of our cels every second breaking down into something else, nitrogen iirc. Sorry to be a bit vague!
SusanB-M1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 11:50 PM   #24
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The biomass of all humans is roughly equal to the biomass of all ants.
Old 31st December 2018, 12:17 AM   #25
cullennz
Banned

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The biomass of all humans is roughly equal to the biomass of all ants.
That is cool tbf

Presumably with ants being so strong, that if every human sat together on every ant together the ants could all carry us to the pub.

Would need to be a big pub though.......Actually we could get all the ants to build the worlds biggest anthill and the humans could fashion it into massive pub.

Coasters and glasses might be an issue, but we could get the ants to collect nuts and other finger food
Old 31st December 2018, 01:03 AM   #26
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

I don't think this is true. Cells die all the time and are replaced by new ones.

You might be thinking of the fact that every atom in our bodies was formed billions of years ago inside stars (one of my favourite facts).
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 01:17 AM   #27
This is The End

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The non-existence of the intra-mercurial planet "Vulcan", a planet, first proposed over 100 years ago, in order to try to explain the errors in Mercury's precession measurements...

Turns out that Mercury's precession errors are caused by the massive gravity well of the Sun due to General relativistic effects. This is beautifully explained for the layman in this short missive by Isaac Asimov - an oldie but a goodie

http://geobeck.tripod.com/frontier/planet.htm

Just quoting the (most) important bit for anyone that doesn't want to read the entire (fantastic) article.

Quote:
By Einstein's relativistic view of the Universe, mass and energy are equivalent, with a small quantity of mass equal to a large quantity of energy in accordance with the equation e=mc2.

The Sun's enormous gravitational field represents a large quantity of energy and this is equivalent to a certain, much smaller, quantity of mass. Since all mass gives rise to a gravitational held, the Sun's gravitational held, when viewed as mass, must give rise to a much smaller gravitational field of its own.
Old 31st December 2018, 01:17 AM   #28
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
I don't think this is true. Cells die all the time and are replaced by new ones.

You might be thinking of the fact that every atom in our bodies was formed billions of years ago inside stars (one of my favourite facts).
Yep, one of my favourites too;

"a small proportion of the the atoms in your gold wedding ring/engagement ring/necklace/whatever were formed the the fires of supernovae, but the majority those atoms come from an even more spectacular event, the collision of two neutron stars."

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 01:24 AM   #29
This is The End

What am I missing here? Did you mean "every atom" and not "every living cell"?

ETA: ninja'd

Last edited by This is The End; 31st December 2018 at 01:26 AM.
This is The End is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:34 AM   #30
GodMark2
Master Poster

Nope, cells simply divide: there is no 'replacement'. 'New ones' are just halves of old ones. The old ones were, themselves, just parts of older ones, all the way back...
Old 31st December 2018, 03:09 AM   #31
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than with you or me.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 03:10 AM   #32
MEequalsIxR
Muse

Not so much a specific fact but the way some things in the math keep turning up like pi, e and sequences like the Fibonacci series or sines and cosines or how often parabolas turn up. It's impressive to me how universal some of these things are.
MEequalsIxR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 03:48 AM   #33
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
Nope, cells simply divide: there is no 'replacement'. 'New ones' are just halves of old ones. The old ones were, themselves, just parts of older ones, all the way back...
I can't tell if you are joking...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 04:01 AM   #34
baron

Originally Posted by TheGnome View Post
To continue in RecoveringYuppy's vein, things people consider to be scientic facts sometimes aren't.

This e.g. is definitely not true in the case of ball games like the four you mentioned, except as a rough first order approximation. It neglects the rotational momentum of the balls.
It's not true for photons (i.e. light), either. A photon impacting a mirror is absorbed and another emitted at a random angle. It's only when multiple photons are involved that the wave phases interfere and the probable trajectory of the beam matches the quoted rule.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:25 AM   #35
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Banana trees "walk"
V.....e.....r.....y s.....l.....o.....w.....l.....y!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:27 AM   #36
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The male elephant has a motile penis.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:30 AM   #37
TheGnome
Thinker

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Would you have a link or something to support this? Just offhand I plain don't believe this.

Most of what you call static is thermal noise generated in the receiver. Very little is picked up by the antenna as you could see when you disconnected it.

Also I think there is only little background radiation from the Big Bang in the VHF and UHF range (up to about 1 GHz) that could be picked up by a TV receiver.

I would be quite interested if you could prove me wrong. That would be one more thing I didn't get.
TheGnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 05:34 AM   #38
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGnome View Post

Originally Posted by baron View Post
It's not true for photons (i.e. light), either. A photon impacting a mirror is absorbed and another emitted at a random angle. It's only when multiple photons are involved that the wave phases interfere and the probable trajectory of the beam matches the quoted rule.
Oh, for fact's sake...
Old 31st December 2018, 05:46 AM   #39
calebprime
Penultimate Amazing

Will Ferrell has been funny to some people some of the time.
calebprime is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 07:46 AM   #40
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I can't tell if you are joking...
I don't see why you would think it's a joke.

The issue isn't that cells don't die, it's that the ones that are living are products of cell division, not of a brand new cell being created.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology