IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th January 2019, 06:40 PM   #321
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Agree with everything in this post except for the highlighted portion.
Sorry. No thermodynamic free energy. All existing energy is evenly distributed. No work can be done because there are no energy gradients. All matter has decayed via the slow evaporation of black holes. My bad for being glib and imprecise.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 06:51 PM   #322
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, all good then, we are definitely on the same page.

The really scary part is what happens after immense amounts of time when a thermodynamic fluctuation brings that system out of equilibrium...
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 06:54 PM   #323
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ah, all good then, we are definitely on the same page.

The really scary part is what happens after immense amounts of time when a thermodynamic fluctuation brings that system out of equilibrium...
Well that's the most wonderful part. The universe could exist in complete thermodynamic equilibrium for trillions of years until such a fluctuation occurs and... a whole new universe of matter and energy starts to expand!

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 06:59 PM   #324
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Well that's the most wonderful part. The universe could exist in complete thermodynamic equilibrium for trillions of years until such a fluctuation occurs and... a whole new universe of matter and energy starts to expand!
BANG!
Old 9th January 2019, 07:05 PM   #325
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
BANG!
A big one.

ETA: It should be added that we don't know that this is what's going to happen. Scientists are pretty sure that our universe will end in a heat death, but the idea of a new universe emerging from quantum fluctuations out of such a state, while largely consistent with what we do know, is at this time pretty much entirely speculative.

Three Word Story Wisdom

Last edited by arthwollipot; 9th January 2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 9th January 2019, 07:11 PM   #326
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
A big one.

ETA: It should be added that we don't know that this is what's going to happen. Scientists are pretty sure that our universe will end in a heat death, but the idea of a new universe emerging from quantum fluctuations out of such a state, while largely consistent with what we do know, is at this time pretty much entirely speculative.
The real problem is that such a universe would be very unlikely to look like ours, yet everything we know at present leads to the far future universe undergoing such a thermal fluctuation.

There is some work being done in how to avoid such thermal fluctuations, but that is, as you say, speculative.

(note that it is a thermal not quantum fluctuation that we're talking about).
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 10:17 PM   #327
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Fcat: the giraffe's neck has the same number of bones as a human's, seven.
A Giraffe's neck is to short to allow it's mouth to reach the ground so unlike most other 4 legged mammals it has to splay it's legs in order to drink.
Old 9th January 2019, 10:29 PM   #328
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
A Giraffe's neck is to short to allow it's mouth to reach the ground so unlike most other 4 legged mammals it has to splay it's legs in order to drink.
Yes, I saw that on QI as well.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 9th January 2019, 10:41 PM   #329
TheGnome
Thinker

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
You've lost me... let's start over.

If anything is 3:2:1 then surely it is cylinder:sphere:cone ? I just double checked the math and that looks correct to me.

Either way, clearly a hemisphere would be less than half of the cylinder? So there is not way it would be the 2 in 3:2:1. I think catsmate is correct in the bit of trivia; he just typed hemisphere instead of sphere on accident.
To put this at rest I looked up the formulas for the 3 solids with a circular base with radius r and height r and came up with the following:

VZylinder = 3*pi*r3/3
VHemisphere = 2*pi*r3/3
VCone = 1*pi*r3/3

So I say catsmate is indeed correct.

EDIT: Forgot to add that it would be correct also for a sphere. The height of cylinder and cone have to be doubled, so all volumes are doubled and hence the ratios stay the same.

Last edited by TheGnome; 9th January 2019 at 11:54 PM.
TheGnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 12:06 AM   #330
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Not to mention a whale falling from space.
Erm. Well, I'm pretty sure it will burn up. Blubber is a good insulator, but it's not that good.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 01:10 AM   #331
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
Erm. Well, I'm pretty sure it will burn up. Blubber is a good insulator, but it's not that good.
it wasn't in an orbit - it just materializes above the earth alongside a bowl of petunias. So all friction would come from acceleration from gravity, not slowing down in the upper atmosphere for re-entry.

My guess would be that recognizable bits of whale would make it all the way to a few inches above the surface.
Old 10th January 2019, 03:20 AM   #332
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Wouldn't that mean that Great Auks are penguins and antarctic penguins aren't penguins, penguins just look like penguins?
That's exactly what wiki tells us.
Quote:
The word penguin first appears in the 16th century as a synonym for great auk. When European explorers discovered what are today known as penguins in the Southern Hemisphere, they noticed their similar appearance to the great auk of the Northern Hemisphere, and named them after this bird, although they are not closely related.
The similarity of appearance is an oft-cited example of "convergent evolution".
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 04:00 AM   #333
MetalPig
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
it wasn't in an orbit - it just materializes above the earth alongside a bowl of petunias.
Above "an alien planet". There may or may not have been an atmosphere.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/198...t-that-against

Quote:
Another thing that got forgotten was the fact that against all probability a sperm whale had suddenly been called into existence several miles above the surface of an alien planet.

<...>

ETA: There probably was an atmosphere:
Quote:
And hey, what’s about this whistling roaring sound going past what I’m suddenly going to call my head?

Last edited by MetalPig; 10th January 2019 at 04:03 AM.
MetalPig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 04:59 AM   #334
Cheetah
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
52! is just a really big number.
Your brain just cannot grasp it.
52 Factorial

In short, set a timer for 52! seconds.

80658175170943878571660636856403766975289505440883 277824000000000000 seconds.
GO!

Walk slowly around the equator taking a step every billion years.
After each round trip remove a drop of water from the pacific ocean.
When the ocean is dry, put a sheet of paper on the ground.
Fill the ocean up again, empty it again and add another sheet of paper.
When the stack is as high as the distance from the earth to the sun, look at the timer.

806381751709438785716606368564037669752895054408832778 24000000000000 seconds remaining... and counting.

Carry on as above but remove the stack again, a page at a time.
Start over, do it again.

You only have time to do it about 3000 times.

Last edited by Cheetah; 10th January 2019 at 05:26 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 06:51 AM   #335
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
52 Factorial

GO!

When the stack is as high as the distance from the earth to the sun, look at the timer.

806381751709438785716606368564037669752895054408832778 24000000000000 seconds remaining... and counting.

Start over, do it again.

I'm getting only about 1200 times. I'm guessing you're using thin paper and not taking bathroom breaks.

(seriously, I had to do the math on this one)
Old 10th January 2019, 06:58 AM   #336
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

52 Factorial

GO!

Start over, do it again.

Nice!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 07:02 AM   #337
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
Above "an alien planet". There may or may not have been an atmosphere.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/198...t-that-against

ETA: There probably was an atmosphere:

Given that the planet is Magrathea and Arthur, Ford and co land on it and go for a walk, I think there's an atmosphere.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 07:26 AM   #338
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGnome View Post
To put this at rest I looked up the formulas for the 3 solids with a circular base with radius r and height r and came up with the following:

VZylinder = 3*pi*r3/3
VHemisphere = 2*pi*r3/3
VCone = 1*pi*r3/3

So I say catsmate is indeed correct.

EDIT: Forgot to add that it would be correct also for a sphere. The height of cylinder and cone have to be doubled, so all volumes are doubled and hence the ratios stay the same.
Adding the sphere makes it 4:3:2:1
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 08:03 AM   #339
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
How can a sphere and a hemisphere be of the same dimensions?
Old 10th January 2019, 08:35 AM   #340
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Sphere and hemisphere both have only one dimension: radius
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 08:47 AM   #341
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
Sphere and hemisphere both have only one dimension: radius
Except in the original example, IIRC, it was about BASE diameter, which for a sphere is zero.
Old 10th January 2019, 08:53 AM   #342
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

52 Factorial

GO!

Start over, do it again.

Slight derail, but when it comes to numbers that can't be grasped, I occasionally read the Wikipedia page on Graham's Number just to have my mind boggled by it's enormousness.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 09:04 AM   #343
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Except in the original example, IIRC, it was about BASE diameter, which for a sphere is zero.
The diameter of the base of a hemisphere is 2*r
Old 10th January 2019, 09:07 AM   #344
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
Slight derail, but when it comes to numbers that can't be grasped, I occasionally read the Wikipedia page on Graham's Number just to have my mind boggled by it's enormousness.

I genuinely think my brain goes up to about 100, or maybe 1000, after that it's just 'lots'. That's not to say I can't work with really big numbers, I just don't think my brain can really conceptualise them.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 10th January 2019 at 09:11 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 09:16 AM   #345
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The diameter of the base of a hemisphere is 2*r
Yes, of course. Someone above was trying to say that it should have been a sphere, not a hemisphere, when the original example was about volumes relative to base diameter.
Old 10th January 2019, 09:17 AM   #346
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
I'm getting only about 1200 times. I'm guessing you're using thin paper and not taking bathroom breaks.

(seriously, I had to do the math on this one)

My first thought was, "Do I get to take a break every thousand years to go sharpen my beak?"
Old 10th January 2019, 09:38 AM   #347
TheGnome
Thinker

Here's an illustration with a sphere:

cone sphere cylinder

Note the heights of cone and cylinder are h=2*r, as is the "height" of the sphere.

I could not find an illustration with a hemisphere but it's simple to visualize, starting from the above. The important thing is that the heights are now only h=1*r.

It is used as a standard example for Cavalieri's Principle
TheGnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 09:57 AM   #348
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
My first thought was, "Do I get to take a break every thousand years to go sharpen my beak?"
That's a million beak-breaks for every step you take, so no.

Yeah, I'm that kind of hard-driving boss.
Old 10th January 2019, 10:00 AM   #349
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Surpassed, however, by the XKCD Number (in panel 3).

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 02:23 PM   #350
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
One of my favourite scientific facts is imperfection.

Elliptical not circular orbits, spheroidal not spherical planets, spinning and orbital speeds slowing down and so on. I like this because it thumbs it's nose at religious claims of gods making perfect stuff.
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Perfection is a subjective, aesthetic judgement.

"Ellipses are imperfect" is neither "scientific" nor a "fact".
Wow! Neither scientific or factual hey. Must call on your expertise about this stuff more often.
Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
You are incorrect.

"Perfect" is a scientific descriptor.

As in "a perfect straight line" or, more commonly, "a perfect circle". It simply means "no variation from exact".

You are correct in that whether or not it is "cool" or not is a subjective feeling.
Well said This is The End.

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Which is why you can have a perfect ellipse.*

*Although, the planetary orbits all have a bit of wonkiness- so still not perfect.

A perfect ellipse is possible as a concept if it is symmetrical about it's long axis but as you note it does not exist in nature. I know I won't get much mileage out of this with the religious who like to hang the word "perfect" on all kinds of things.
Old 10th January 2019, 03:01 PM   #351
JDC
Thinker

I knew that neutrinos are coy little beasts but I had no idea ...

In Brian Green's multiverse book, The Hidden Reality, he notes that they can pass through a LIGHT YEAR of solid lead and not interact with it in the least!

Cheers,
Jeff
JDC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 03:11 PM   #352
Crawtator
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by JDC View Post

In Brian Green's multiverse book, The Hidden Reality, he notes that they can pass through a LIGHT YEAR of solid lead and not interact with it in the least!

Cheers,
Jeff
My favorite neutrino fact is that about 65 billion pass through every square centimeter of your body every second and over a trillion trillion will pass through your body over your life time. Neutrinos are thought to have a very small, non-zero mass. So mass is constantly passing through you. How much? See:

http://timeblimp.com/?page_id=1033

The result? If you take the entire human population that has ever lived and compute the amount of neutrinos passing through them over their entire lifetime, you would have approximately 0.15 grams of mass.

Boggles my mind.
Crawtator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 04:04 PM   #353
Distracted1
Philosopher

I understood several of the words on that page.
Old 10th January 2019, 06:15 PM   #354
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crawtator View Post
My favorite neutrino fact is that about 65 billion pass through every square centimeter of your body every second and over a trillion trillion will pass through your body over your life time. Neutrinos are thought to have a very small, non-zero mass. So mass is constantly passing through you. How much? See:

http://timeblimp.com/?page_id=1033

The result? If you take the entire human population that has ever lived and compute the amount of neutrinos passing through them over their entire lifetime, you would have approximately 0.15 grams of mass.

Boggles my mind.
Neutrinos! Huh!
What are they good for?
Old 10th January 2019, 06:31 PM   #355
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Neutrinos! Huh!
What are they good for?
Balancing the matter-energy equation say it again!

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 10th January 2019, 06:32 PM   #356
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Neutrinos! Huh!
What are they good for?
Absolutely nuthin'!!!
Old 10th January 2019, 06:48 PM   #357
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I genuinely think my brain goes up to about 100, or maybe 1000, after that it's just 'lots'. That's not to say I can't work with really big numbers, I just don't think my brain can really conceptualise them.
As usual there's an XKCD for that:

Isaac Asimov
Old 10th January 2019, 06:53 PM   #358
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheGnome View Post
Here's an illustration with a sphere:

cone sphere cylinder

Note the heights of cone and cylinder are h=2*r, as is the "height" of the sphere.

I could not find an illustration with a hemisphere but it's simple to visualize, starting from the above. The important thing is that the heights are now only h=1*r.

It is used as a standard example for Cavalieri's Principle
Using that picture, it makes sense that a sphere OR a hemisphere would work, but not both in the same cylinder, because for a hemisphere, the distance from the bottom to the top of the cylinder would be the radius of the hemisphere, while the cylinder base would be the diameter of the sphere / hemisphere.

So the sphere and hemisphere would have the same diameter to the edge of the cylinder, but top to bottom of the cylinder the diameter of the sphere = radius of the hemiphere, so the sphere would be flattish, footballish.
Old 10th January 2019, 07:54 PM   #359
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
One of my favourite scientific facts is imperfection.

Elliptical not circular orbits, spheroidal not spherical planets, spinning and orbital speeds slowing down and so on. I like this because it thumbs it's nose at religious claims of gods making perfect stuff.
Maybe there are gods who think that all those things are perfect.

I don't understand what is imperfect about an ellipse. A circle isn't better, it's just a special case ellipse with both foci in the same place.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2019, 09:54 PM   #360
Cheetah
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post

Single ply.

Originally Posted by JDC View Post

Cheers,
Jeff

XKCD Lethal Neutrinos

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology