ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags India-Pakistan relations

Old 6th March 2019, 04:55 PM   #121
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What's the difference between an incident happening at a lower rate than previously, and a dangerous escalation?
In the former, things get quieter and less violent. In the latter, things get louder and more violent.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:02 PM   #122
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
In the former, things get quieter and less violent. In the latter, things get louder and more violent.
Sorry, I didn't express my question clearly enough.

Say it used to be border clashes at a rate of five a year. Then the rate drops to one a year. About a year from now, there's another border clash. Is it the same old business of border clashes, at the new lower rate? Or is it a dangerous escalation?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 05:05 PM   #123
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Sorry, I didn't express my question clearly enough.

Say it used to be border clashes at a rate of five a year. Then the rate drops to one a year. About a year from now, there's another border clash. Is it the same old business of border clashes, at the new lower rate? Or is it a dangerous escalation?
Depends. For how long has it been at the lower rate? If it's fifteen years, I would call that a new status quo.

That's how long it's been since there were serious clashes in Kashmir, by the way. I didn't pull that number out of my butt.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2019, 07:44 PM   #124
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Can we all relax now?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 02:06 AM   #125
Susheel
Graduate Poster

I guess you guys can. But we in India cannot. Now that the war drum situation has sort of petered out with little national support, Modi is up to his other dirty trick the party is famous for. Manufacturing an internal law and order crisis that he can benefit from. The recent revelations on the the Rafale scandal by The Hindu has left the current government very vulnerable to legal action. Modi has also been more or less behaving as erratically as Trump at his election rallies.
Old 7th March 2019, 05:19 PM   #126
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Can we all relax now?
FOr the moment. But the India Pakistan standoff continues to be one of the most dangerous situations in the world, and the one most likely to cause a Nuclear Exchange.
And you have two not exactly the most trustworthy governments.
India's is dominated by Hindu Fanatics; Pakistan is, to use the classic line about Prussia in the 19th and early 20th centuries, not a country with an army but an army with a country.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2019, 05:44 PM   #127
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Pakistan probably backed down a bit once they realized India outclasses them in modern jet fighters.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics