ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand issues , New Zealand politics

Old 18th November 2014, 02:17 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

New Zealand: The Official Kiwi Thread!

Politics included, which is why it's here.

Anyone up for an in-depth look at NZ society and politics?

Unlike those xenophobic Aussies, it won't matter where you come from; NZ has a fairly international reputation these days and not just as an ovine-lover's paradise of bestiality!

The time to discuss NZ is right, too. Our recent elevation to UN Security Council temporary member may have escaped most people, but after a recent general election returning the government and a change in leadership of the traditional opposition means that there is a bit going on here right now.

We're extra-special friends with China, too, so if you want us to put in a good word with China, NZ is not the place to do it, because we have a "Do not be mean to China's official delegation" order in place and it's being rigidly enforced.

Key has a stellar line-up of guests in a row, for a small, insignificant country: Angela Merkel, been & gone, Xi Jinping today, and Stephen Harper shortly, no doubt to be followed by a round with Bestie Barack in Hawaii at Xmas. It truly is the summer of international love down here!

Stating my preference right now: big fan of Andrew Little. Most excellent man.
Old 18th November 2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

So are the koalas and kangaroos everywhere?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2014, 03:56 PM   #3
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

No, but we probably have as many wallabies as Australia, plus a lot more of their damned possums.

Couple of kangaroo scalps over the past month, but no kangas outside the zoo. Oddly, no koalas in the zoos.
Old 19th November 2014, 03:40 AM   #4
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Well this is going to be a boring thread....

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 05:25 AM   #5
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
How much fun did you expect in a thread about shoe-polish, for goodness sake.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 10:32 AM   #6
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Looks like it, eh?

I have no idea how many Kiwis are members, but I see there were plenty of comments in the flag thread.

I was hoping there might be a supporter of the comb-over smarmy chap.
Old 19th November 2014, 11:24 AM   #7
Francesca R
Girl

I still have NZ nationality and was born and lived there 8 years (Canterbury). I tend to self identify as Kiwi rather than British (have that nationality too), since I can't really pull off Italian. I go back a bit more often than the royal family does. Was there last month but only for a day. It was sunny.

As for news and politics its a great place to be to find out about what is going on outside the country. Better than most in that respect.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Francesca R
Girl

Oh and I am short the Kiwi dollar.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 11:53 AM   #9
Scootch
Muse

I like Flight of the Conchords does that count?
Scootch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 12:07 PM   #10
MG1962

Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
No
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 01:07 PM   #11
Scootch
Muse

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
No
To quote Jermaine "Be more constructive with your feedback please."
Scootch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 01:18 PM   #12
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

The scenery is nice in the South Island.

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 03:36 PM   #13
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
You won't be lonely in that position, although I gather the tide's been against it a little very recently.

You can be comforted that RBNZ is with you with a very fat wallet that they will use to drive it down again, and that time might be due very soon with the latest dairy auction prices.

I'd even hazard a guess that next Thursday US Time is when they will make a move.
Old 19th November 2014, 03:42 PM   #14
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
Ignore that usurper Aussie. Jeez, we gave them Russell Crowe and Neil Finn - you think they'd be happy, but no, because they can't claim the supernatural skills of Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, they won't let you be an honorary Kiwi for liking them.

You're in, mate!

Bret did a jete* at the flaming Oscars.

It does not get better than that.

*I don't think Australians know what a jete is, but just pretend it's a synonym for "beer". Pretty well everything else is over there.
Old 19th November 2014, 03:44 PM   #15
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
The scenery is nice in the South Island.
Bah, that north/south thing is so old.

South Island accepted years ago that they were inferior in every respect and it never even gets a mention these days.
Old 19th November 2014, 04:54 PM   #16
MG1962

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Ignore that usurper Aussie. Jeez, we gave them Russell Crowe and Neil Finn - you think they'd be happy, but no, because they can't claim the supernatural skills of Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement, they won't let you be an honorary Kiwi for liking them.
Standards must have really slipped or you guys are getting desperate for acceptance if all one has to do is like a couple of comedians on prime time US TV to become a honorary Kiwi.

We gave Russel Crowe back - a few times

And dont bag Australia because a New Zealand guitar player decides to spend most of his professional career in an Australian band.

Remember we have not forgiven you for Joh Bjelke Peterson or Mother Goose
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 04:56 PM   #17
MG1962

Bah, that north/south thing is so old.

South Island accepted years ago that they were inferior in every respect and it never even gets a mention these days.
Spoken like a true NAFA
Old 19th November 2014, 06:58 PM   #18
angrysoba
Philosophile

You said that about the Great New Zealand Flag Debate Thread Poll and it turned out to be Quite Interesting.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 08:45 PM   #19
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Standards must have really slipped or you guys are getting desperate for acceptance if all one has to do is like a couple of comedians on prime time US TV to become a honorary Kiwi.
Oi! Did you miss that Bret won an Oscar.

The only thing Aussie can claim from the 2012 Academy Awards is winner Meryl Streep once portrayed an Aussie!

Remember we have not forgiven you for Joh Bjelke Peterson or Mother Goose
Joh? Are you kidding? The longest-serving, most-popular Premier in Queensland's history? A man who oversaw QLD go from banana state to the second-richest per capita?

Sheesh.

Next you'll be trying to claim the pavlova or Phar Lap!

Aussie bandits.
Old 19th November 2014, 09:43 PM   #20
MG1962

The only thing Aussie can claim from the 2012 Academy Awards is winner Meryl Streep once portrayed an Aussie!
Yes we had little to cheer about assuming we ignore the 5 nominations we had including best actor, best actress best supporting actor. But oh well I guess victories are where you find them...no matter how small they might be
Old 19th November 2014, 10:25 PM   #21
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Joh? Are you kidding? The longest-serving, most-corrupt Premier in Queensland's history? A man who oversaw QLD go from banana state to the moonlight state?

Sheesh.

Next you'll be trying to claim the pavlova or Phar Lap!

Aussie bandits.
FTFY.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzgerald_Inquiry
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th November 2014, 10:38 PM   #22
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yes we had little to cheer about assuming we ignore the 5 nominations we had including best actor, best actress best supporting actor. But oh well I guess victories are where you find them...no matter how small they might be
Nomination, schmomination.

Who remembers the losers? Winners names are etched onto the statuette.

Only an Aussie would claim winning an Oscar is a "small victory".

How'd your league team go the last couple of times we played them? (Do NOT mention the previous 200 games, k?)
Old 19th November 2014, 10:41 PM   #23
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Most popular, most corrupt - it's Aussie politics and you have Abbott as PM and Palmer United Party in the senate on a horse-trading deal.

Old Joh looks straight as a die compared to the current crop.

And I wouldn't hesitate to remind you that while he was indeed born in NZ, he was only one year old when he moved to Aussie, so you could certainly say he learnt all his tricks in Australia.
Old 19th November 2014, 11:04 PM   #24
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Nomination, schmomination.

Who remembers the losers? Winners names are etched onto the statuette.

Only an Aussie would claim winning an Oscar is a "small victory".

How'd your league team go the last couple of times we played them? (Do NOT mention the previous 200 games, k?)
Oh yeah, well how'd your Union team go the last, oh, wait...

never mind.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2014, 06:06 AM   #25
MG1962

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Oh yeah, well how'd your Union team go the last, oh, wait...

never mind.
Stick to Farnarkling we can beat them at that
Old 20th November 2014, 08:33 AM   #26
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Stick to Farnarkling we can beat them at that
And Cricket, most of the time.
Old 20th November 2014, 11:47 AM   #27
MG1962

Not sure what you mean about the last couple of times. You won once in 2011 and once in 2014. We won the other 9 games in between.

But if you are going to claim that then I am going to argue that Australia winning the Bledislo cup in 2001 proves we are far superior to the All Blacks in all facets of Rugby
Old 20th November 2014, 12:20 PM   #28
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Not sure what you mean about the last couple of times. You won once in 2011 and once in 2014. We won the other 9 games in between.

But if you are going to claim that then I am going to argue that Australia winning the Bledislo cup in 2001 proves we are far superior to the All Blacks in all facets of Rugby
Ooops!

You really are out of date with the news, mate.

The last twice we played the Kangas was last weekend in the final of the 4 nations, and three weeks earlier in the round-robin. That would be two within the past month.

Right at the top of the page: 30-22 in Australia and 22-18 over here.

Read 'em and weep!
Old 20th November 2014, 05:59 PM   #29
MG1962

Ooops!

You really are out of date with the news, mate.

The last twice we played the Kangas was last weekend in the final of the 4 nations, and three weeks earlier in the round-robin. That would be two within the past month.

Right at the top of the page: 30-22 in Australia and 22-18 over here.

Read 'em and weep!
Obviously a typo
Old 23rd November 2014, 07:32 PM   #30
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Promising signs from Andrew Little, with a solid, and very brown front-row of his shadow cabinet.

The mix of three brown and three white faces on the front bench, split also 3/3 male/female is clever work, and picking staunch Clarkite Annette King as deputy salves the need for a woman without going silly and appointing Jacinda Ardern before her time.

I hope Key is viewing all this with his smirk firmly in place, this is a real capital O Opposition he is now facing.
Old 23rd November 2014, 07:37 PM   #31
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Promising signs from Andrew Little, with a solid, and very brown front-row of his shadow cabinet.

The mix of three brown and three white faces on the front bench, split also 3/3 male/female is clever work, and picking staunch Clarkite Annette King as deputy salves the need for a woman without going silly and appointing Jacinda Ardern before her time.

I hope Key is viewing all this with his smirk firmly in place, this is a real capital O Opposition he is now facing.
We'll see, wait till the right wingers in our media have stirred the pot for a few months and start rumors of a coup again...

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2014, 09:45 PM   #32
megaresp
Muse

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
Any particular reason?
Old 23rd November 2014, 10:53 PM   #33
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

We'll see, wait till the right wingers in our media have stirred the pot for a few months and start rumors of a coup again...
Not this time.

And I see Little Johnny Combover has been found to have dirty hands over the Cameron Slater affair. Amazing.
Old 23rd November 2014, 11:00 PM   #34
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by megaresp View Post
Any particular reason?
I dunno about her reasons, but I can tell you what mine are:

1 The Prime Minister and central bank, Reserve Bank of NZ, want it lower.

2 Farmers and other exporters want it lower, hence 1

3 The RBNZ has already intervened to bring the currency down once and indicated it would do so again.

4 Drastic falls in dairy returns will create both reduced need for Kiwi dollars and less interest in NZ as a safe haven.
Old 24th November 2014, 02:50 AM   #35
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Not this time.

And I see Little Johnny Combover has been found to have dirty hands over the Cameron Slater affair. Amazing.
As I say we'll see. Considering that it was a 50.5 to 49.5 split, I would not be surprised to start seeing the rumors within 6 months, especially if Labour's polling stays below 30. A few of the "right" commentators start stirring the pot about how there is trouble in the ranks and...

Now having said that I actually voted for Andrew in the General Election, I do like him, but unless he can weld the factions together so that no political editors can start saying that there is in fighting and be believed, then Labour is going to stay stuck in its hole.

Old 24th November 2014, 10:44 AM   #36
megaresp
Muse

I dunno about her reasons, but I can tell you what mine are:

1 The Prime Minister and central bank, Reserve Bank of NZ, want it lower.

2 Farmers and other exporters want it lower, hence 1

3 The RBNZ has already intervened to bring the currency down once and indicated it would do so again.

4 Drastic falls in dairy returns will create both reduced need for Kiwi dollars and less interest in NZ as a safe haven.
Ah, thanks for your reasoning. I might have to buy a few NZD and stash them under the mattress.
Old 24th November 2014, 03:25 PM   #37
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by megaresp View Post
Ah, thanks for your reasoning. I might have to buy a few NZD and stash them under the mattress.
No, that would exactly the wrong way around.
Old 24th November 2014, 03:40 PM   #38
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

As I say we'll see. Considering that it was a 50.5 to 49.5 split, I would not be surprised to start seeing the rumors within 6 months, especially if Labour's polling stays below 30. A few of the "right" commentators start stirring the pot about how there is trouble in the ranks and...
Won't happen this time, for several reasons:

1 He has nailed "old Labour" with Anette King, so there will be no pressure from there.

2 Robertson: as a chubby, gay bloke, probably realises he will never win an election because he has no appeal at all outside of the hard left. He should also be pretty comfortable at #3, so I can't see him looking to challenge.

3 Little is smart, and street smart with it. EPMU had real grunt when he was in charge, and people underestimate his talents.

4 There are no realistic challengers.

I would be betting heavily the other way - that six months will see him not just entrenched as leader, but also a real thorn in Johnny Combover's side. I'm picking you will see Little at heights in the preferred PM stakes that Labour hasn't seen before Johnny's rise.

Now having said that I actually voted for Andrew in the General Election, I do like him, but unless he can weld the factions together so that no political editors can start saying that there is in fighting and be believed, then Labour is going to stay stuck in its hole.
Oh, no doubt that this is Labour's last roll of the dice.

I said to Helen Clark ten years ago that she was setting up a succession problem for Labour by not seeking able-bodied men to groom for leadership. I think she tried to do that and thought Shearer was The One and Only, but he turned out to be The Boring and Lonely.

Hey, it might all be forlorn hope, but at least at this time there is some hope.

Wouldn't have been if Robertson, won.
Old 24th November 2014, 06:17 PM   #39
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like some opinions on what the Government is in the process of doing as regards bringing in Laws to identify possible recruits who want to head over to Syria and fight for Islamic State. Ultimately, those Laws are likely to be used stop them going.

While I agree with the idea of putting potential ISIL fighters under surveillance, I don't agree with the idea of stopping them from leaving. I don't want people with that kind of mindset (to want to join ISIL) living in this country, especially if they are likely to be pissed off about not being allowed to go.

If we have sufficient surveillance resources and the ability to know enough about these people to stop them going, then why not just let them go to Syria (where they are more likely to become cannon fodder than effective fighter) and then revoke their passports and citizenship after they leave so that they cannot come back.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2014, 10:29 AM   #40
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'd like some opinions on what the Government is in the process of doing as regards bringing in Laws to identify possible recruits who want to head over to Syria and fight for Islamic State. Ultimately, those Laws are likely to be used stop them going.
Seems to me they're doing what this government has done on several occasions - most notably in the Urewera raids - panicking.

In fact, the yellow-bellied slime in the Beehive right now are such goddamned gutless panickers that a couple opf weeks ago, when a gunman attacked Canada's Parliament, they locked down the House in Wellington!

They sit well with Australia's insane response to date, including the 800 cops to arrest a guy from the wrong sect with a toy sword.

It also neatly increases their power of surveillance.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If we have sufficient surveillance resources and the ability to know enough about these people to stop them going, then why not just let them go to Syria (where they are more likely to become cannon fodder than effective fighter) and then revoke their passports and citizenship after they leave so that they cannot come back.
How do you know which side they're going to be on? Along with the headline-making Jihad Johns there are quite a few expat Germans, British and others fighting with the Peshmerga, who let me check....

Yes, they're our friends at the moment.

You also have to be careful of which side they're supporting in Syria. Al-Assad was our friend, then our enemy, and now he's sort of ok again. Those kids he gassed were probably destined to grow up and become ISIS fighters.

Maybe we could just return to the idea of people being innocent of a crime until they commit one? This pre-judging doesn't seem to work out so well, and using "police"and intelligence" in the same sentence just doesn't ring right.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics