ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand issues , New Zealand politics

Old 30th January 2015, 04:33 AM   #121
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Aussie Russ appears to have bit the bullet for "family reasons"
Bit the bullet? Most of the reason that the Greens have been doing as well as they are is because of him and his Leadership. His leaving will likely be a blow to their popularity.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2015, 01:49 PM   #122
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
Still am.
Well, you should be creaming it then. Down plenty, unless you're crossed with the Euro, which I can't imagine you had.

Aussie Russ appears to have bit the bullet for "family reasons"
Nah, it was me.

I have a great record with Greenmuinist leaders. I sent a vitriolic email to Rod Donald a few years back and he croaked a fortnight later.

I very recently sent an email to Normie, pointing out what a complete waste of oxygen he is, and now he's taken my advice and gone. The man's a congenital idiot, proven by his last public email before quitting.

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Bit the bullet? Most of the reason that the Greens have been doing as well as they are is because of him and his Leadership. His leaving will likely be a blow to their popularity.
Rubbish. The reason the Greens have polled anything is all to do with Labour. Under St Helen, she encouraged their vote as do the Nats with that slimeball Dunne and ACT, while since St Helen, nobody still capable of breathing would vote Labour, so there was no other choice.

The Greens missed an enormous opportunity in 2014, and the blame lies squarely with "Dr" Normie. He is an ineffectual tosser who has never managed to engender any popularity outside of core Greenies because he's an Aussie usurper who had neither the game nor balls to make it in OZ. I remain convinced that with a smart campaign, fronted by credible leaders, the Greens would have walked into 2nd place. Fitzsimmons and Donald would have cleaned Labour's clock.

Good riddance.

Mind you, while they continue to propagate nonsense and have leaders who are outright morons, they'll never do any better than they did last go.
Old 30th January 2015, 02:11 PM   #123
NoahFence
Banned

You ever tried to board a ship from a rubber dinghy in the middle of an antarctic ocean full of iceburgs?

If not. Your point is pointless

They have all the info on the ships, the company , they captains and the nation they come from.

The fact they even found them is impressive.

Obviously you would prefer the sea sheppard idiots yelling at them through a loud hailer and trying to kill their own crew
Too funny. You know those Sea Shephard "idiots" have done just that, multiple times. So why can't the pros?
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2015, 09:31 PM   #124
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Phantom. Bit pointless gaining votes from the only party.you will work with
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2015, 06:59 PM   #125
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Phantom. Bit pointless gaining votes from the only party.you will work with
Well considering the way the NZ political spectrum is, the only place that the Greens can get votes is from Labour, or the extreme left.

When Labour was holding the centre left, and National the centre right they would gain and lose the centre against each other. With Labour having progressively moved Left, they have pushed into Green's territory and so they ended up feeding on each other rather than as it was under Clarke where she had them sitting right on the centre ground taking that and the left between them and the Greens.

Strategically Key has done well because he picked up a lot of the main Labour policies and took over that Centre left area and successive Labour leaders have reacted by going further left each time giving more ground to National. If Little and Labour want to ever come back, they have to move right again, and take the fight to National in the central area, push National to the right by claiming the centre voters and have the Nats and ACT sitting in the same spot, just as Key has done to them and the Greens.

As long as Labour continues to move to the left all that will happen is that they and the Greens will trade ever diminishing voters.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2015, 07:09 PM   #126
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

That ain't going to happen with the unions plaything Little in charge.

She will be left.....left.....bit more left
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2015, 07:36 PM   #127
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

That ain't going to happen with the unions plaything Little in charge.

She will be left.....left.....bit more left
We'll see, you might find that he's not beholden to the unions at all. He's started out well. One of the major battlefields that he seems to be aiming at is how to help workers and small business to get unemployment back down to world beating levels. Now while I doubt he can get it to the levels of Qatar, getting it back to 2004 levels would be good.

I suspect that he may be uniquely positioned to do it too. If anyone has the credentials to be able to get the Unions, workers, and business owners talking with each other and coming to a position that benefits them all and that they can live with, it's him.

It has to be one of the worse tightropes around, balancing worker's and employee's right so that both are protected and without causing piles of paperwork. Personally I'd keep the 30-day trial as is, and modify the 90-Day one so that a business is required to spell out the goals that an employee is expected to reach during their 90-trial period. This isn't a big issue, businesses should be doing it anyway, they are called KPI, or Key Performance Indicators, and allow the management to know if their staff are hitting their targets. If a worker is hitting their 90 day KPIs then the business should not be able to fire them without cause. If they have failed to reach their KPIs without good cause, then if the business wants to let them go, they are free to. This would tell the Employee what they have to do to remain employed and gives the business the ability to terminate those that aren't meeting the required standards. Making sure that KPIs are reasonable, and reachable would also be required obviously, though this would tend to be self policing too as employees aren't going to accept unreasonable or unreachable KPIs.

They can come back, but it'll take some hard work to put together good policies and know their policies well. They also have to be able to sell them properly, unlike the whole "Better Teachers" vs "More Teachers" of the election that the media created. In fact Labour's policy was not only for more teachers, but for better training for those coming in, and more training for current teachers to make them better. The media ignored that Labour's policies would have made teachers better as well and just went on about having more of them. This is a major hurdle they have to get over as well.

Old 2nd February 2015, 12:07 AM   #128
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

It has to be one of the worse tightropes around, balancing worker's and employee's right so that both are protected and without causing piles of paperwork. Personally I'd keep the 30-day trial as is, and modify the 90-Day one so that a business is required to spell out the goals that an employee is expected to reach during their 90-trial period.
It's not that simple.

Many small firms quite rightly wouldn't have any interest in setting KPIs, nor should they need to.

90 days isn't sufficient to figure whether an employee is good enough anyway. I insist on minimum 6 month guarantees for people we place because it takes 6-12 months to really assess an employee's value. Some people take a long time to get to grips with a job, then star, while others appear to be eating it after 90 days but are bored after 180.

If you're going to stick with trial periods, they need to stay as they are Complicating matters is only going to help employment advocates - which would suit me down to the ground, but it wouldn't be smart from either the employee's or the employer's perspective.

They can come back, but it'll take some hard work to put together good policies and know their policies well. They also have to be able to sell them properly, unlike the whole "Better Teachers" vs "More Teachers" of the election that the media created. In fact Labour's policy was not only for more teachers, but for better training for those coming in, and more training for current teachers to make them better. The media ignored that Labour's policies would have made teachers better as well and just went on about having more of them. This is a major hurdle they have to get over as well.
I have to disagree on the grounds you're crediting Kiwi voters with sophistication they don't actually have.

Like almost everywhere else, politics is all about personality, not policy.

Unless you have something really controversial, like capital gains, the policies don't matter a damn as long as the love for the leader is in place.
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:13 AM   #129
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Small prob phantom.

.You vote Labour you get a green deputy PM and half their policy
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Old 2nd February 2015, 01:13 AM   #130
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Small prob phantom.

Really? Helen's Government had a Greens Deputy and half their policies?

Old 2nd February 2015, 05:34 PM   #131
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Small prob phantom.

They won't get enough votes next time to seek more than a single cabinet voice.
Old 5th February 2015, 03:18 AM   #132
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Waitangi Day

A day off to most. Just annoying to the others

Old 5th February 2015, 03:23 AM   #133
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Guys.Labour are polling so low the have to have the greens. We don't even know who next years party leader is yet

Old 5th February 2015, 03:40 AM   #134
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Guys.Labour are polling so low the have to have the greens. We don't even know who next years party leader is yet
Do you need a reminder of how many leaders National went through and where it was polling before Key?

Old 5th February 2015, 03:45 PM   #135
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Did they need a bunch of hippies to get into power wanting to print money and send people into negative equity?

Old 5th February 2015, 06:42 PM   #136
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Did they need a bunch of hippies to get into power wanting to print money and send people into negative equity?
You're trying to take the piss out of Labour for being in cohorts with the Greenmunists against a National government whose coalition partners have included Hone Harawira, Peter Dunne, Tariana Turia & John Banks?
Old 5th February 2015, 08:11 PM   #137
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You're still acting dumb. You seem to believe that Labour needs the Greens, but it doesn't anymore then National needed a strong ACT party. In a few years National when from just 23% to now all but being able to govern alone. There is absolutely no reason why Labour can't do the same thing if they do the right things. The entire Labour/Greens Government and the multi-Headed monster is a National invented fiction.

Old 9th February 2015, 06:49 PM   #138
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Just going back to the fishing pirates, I thought this cartoon summed it up nicely:

Old 11th February 2015, 01:00 PM   #139
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You're still acting dumb. You seem to believe that Labour needs the Greens, but it doesn't anymore then National needed a strong ACT party. In a few years National when from just 23% to now all but being able to govern alone. There is absolutely no reason why Labour can't do the same thing if they do the right things. The entire Labour/Greens Government and the multi-Headed monster is a National invented fiction.
With an extreme left wing ex unionist leader put in power by his union leaders, I think they will need the Greens

Old 12th February 2015, 08:48 PM   #140
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

With an extreme left wing ex unionist leader put in power by his union leaders, I think they will need the Greens
Based on your assumption of what he's going to do, I'd actually suggest that if he heads left, they are likely to cannibalise the Green vote just as National did to ACT and United. Labour would grow, the Greens would shrink, but the left block would remain the same. They need to move right, take the centre ground back and look for Allies with NZ First and United instead.

Old 12th February 2015, 10:44 PM   #141
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Going by the way Johnny Combover's arrogant dirty dealings are being exposed by both sides of the political spectrum, Labour aren't going to need all that much help.

Even hardened Nat voters are being sickened by the Sky City double-dealing.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11401591
Old 16th February 2015, 01:38 AM   #142
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No cash needed. Atheist

The cynic in me thinks Key played Labour on Skycity just to divert attention from Sabin .

Quite funny

Old 16th February 2015, 12:44 PM   #143
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

No cash needed. Atheist

The cynic in me thinks Key played Labour on Skycity just to divert attention from Sabin .

Quite funny
Cash isn't the point - the point is the government allowing a massive increase in gaming tables.

Your cynic is wrong. Key is yet again using the Mark Todd defence of saying nothing on Sabin. Little called him a liar in public and Key said nothing. Case proven.

Teflon John.

Meanwhile, Winston showing his total lack of class in chasing Key over whether he uses Grecian 2000. Idiot.
Old 16th February 2015, 05:56 PM   #144
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I sometimes wonder in Winnie has decided that he wants his legacy of what could well be his last term to be the topping of his namesake's outstanding "My dear, you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober, and you will still be ugly" insult.

Old 28th February 2015, 01:14 PM   #145
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Speaking of Winston, I see he's going to stand in the by-election.

Meanwhile, immigration is the big item Key's avoiding right now.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/mone...swamps-housing

This is creating a social disaster and Key doesn't give a flying crap as long as house prices keep going up, increasing the wealth of his voters.

Used to be a nice place, NZ.
Old 4th March 2015, 11:31 AM   #146
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

As Germany is spied on by UK, so the Pacific Islands are spied on by NZ.

Absolute disgrace.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11411759

Making a total nonsense of Key's laughable claims that the spying is down to stopping terrorism. Yeah, John, those Sa-sas are all terrorists in waiting.

The real reason being unsaid, I'm going to take a stab and say it's all about China, which has been befriending - and spreading "dash" around - the Pasifika people for a while and Johnny and his bud Obama are a little concerned they might start listening to China instead of their Imperial Masters.

Learning that we're spying on them is sure to help.
Old 9th March 2015, 09:39 PM   #147
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Wow.

If you ever thought 1080 protestors were nuts, pat yourself on the back, as they show just how low they will go: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11414980
Old 15th March 2015, 06:05 PM   #148
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Atheist.

Did you expect the PIs to pay millions to monitor their own region?

Its a drug , money laundering gateway

Agree 1080 people are scum

Old 15th March 2015, 06:52 PM   #149
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Atheist.

Did you expect the PIs to pay millions to monitor their own region?

Its a drug , money laundering gateway
Sorry mate, but this is the worst defence I've yet seen for surveillance of the islands, and for the following reasons:

1 They were unaware of it, so they weren't getting anything for free as they clearly hadn't asked for it.
2 It is a clear [colonialist?] breach of their nation status.
3 The surveillance is defended as anti-terrorist. Drug dealing & money laundering are not terrorist activites as defined in Johnny Combover's own legislation.
4 Even if drug/laundering were found, it would be three countries outside the jurisdiction of the country involved, so would be utterly useless

Must try harder.
Old 16th March 2015, 12:17 AM   #150
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Only one has said they were'nt aware

Old 16th March 2015, 12:20 AM   #151
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

OK 2

Do you think it is wrong that the GCSB monitors our region?

Old 16th March 2015, 12:07 PM   #152
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Only one has said they were'nt aware
Wrong.

Samoa and Tonga were both unaware, but Samoa is happy about it while Tonga is not.

The Solomons' government was shocked to find out they were being spied on.

I can't say for sure, but I'm taking bets at any odds you like Noumea was unaware of being spied on.

In fact, you seem to have it back to front - only one country was aware of the spying: Fiji, a country with an admirable human rights record.

Still, there's some good humorous irony in the only country we told was the one with a military dictatorship - Key's Freudian slip?

Nauru, of course, is understandable as a direct threat to NZ.
Old 16th March 2015, 12:13 PM   #153
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Wrong.

Samoa and Tonga were both unaware, but Samoa is happy about it while Tonga is not.

The Solomons' government was shocked to find out they were being spied on.

I can't say for sure, but I'm taking bets at any odds you like Noumea was unaware of being spied on.

In fact, you seem to have it back to front - only one country was aware of the spying: Fiji, a country with an admirable human rights record.

Still, there's some good humorous irony in the only country we told was the one with a military dictatorship - Key's Freudian slip?

Nauru, of course, is understandable as a direct threat to NZ.
OK. You think we should not monitor our region.

Old 16th March 2015, 12:13 PM   #154
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

OK 2

Do you think it is wrong that the GCSB monitors our region?
I think you can probably guess that one correctly.

It's immoral, almost certainly illegal and unquestionably absolutely useless.

As a guide, check out how the Australian mass surveillance is going. They arrested a bloke (on the wrong side) who owned a plastic sword.

New Zealand is safer!
Old 25th March 2015, 07:17 PM   #155
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Well, well, well.

I will need to see it to believe it, but the latest poll shows National losing Northland and their majority in two days' time.

I can only hope.

Anyway, I've done my bit by passing on a story today to the Northern Advocate on 20 truck drivers who have just lost their jobs. I'm hoping I can place a link to the story tomorrow, because it would be nice to see it make the front page the day before the by-election.

Their loss has nothing to do with National, but in the minds of voters, mass layoffs are not a good look for the government.

I also understand the Advocate is breaking a story tomorrow on the fat, worthless pig standing for National.

Go Winston!!
Old 25th March 2015, 11:49 PM   #156
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Now I really am starting to grow some hope on Northland.

A TV1/Colmar poll is showing +18 to Winnie and they have been very accurate over many elections.

Hmmmm. I might just put the bubbly in the fridge.

According to the poll, over 2/3 of Labour voters have taken Andrew Little's hint and will vote NZ First.

Go Winston!
Old 28th March 2015, 04:51 AM   #157
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

And Peters wins with a landslide 15,359 to Osborne's 11,347. What swung it? Labour's Willow-Jean Prime got just 1315, so it is clear that Labour pushed their vote to Winston.

ETA: Is it just me or is National's whinging about Labour "throwing Willow-Jean under Winston's bus" just a tad rich considering their deals in Epson and Ohariu in the General Election?

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 28th March 2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old 28th March 2015, 05:42 PM   #158
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yes.

In fact, it's worse than that, because Little did not take the level of action National has in the past to help the other team.

I wonder if there's ever been a greater swing anywhere than a majority of 9000 to a loss of 4000 in a seat with 30,000 voters.

Massive.

The bad news is, Johnny Combover has been able to deflect from the magnitude of the loss by its proximity to the cricket. No matter, the resources they threw at Northland are sufficient evidence of their real position.

Winston won't be able to stop strutting for the rest of the Parliamentary term - and good on him. Cunning old bugger!
Old 28th March 2015, 06:07 PM   #159
megaresp
Muse

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Winston won't be able to stop strutting for the rest of the Parliamentary term - and good on him. Cunning old bugger!

I've just been in the thread about the new Terminator movie, only to zip into this one and learn that Winston has risen from the dead.

Jesus Christ, is there no way to put a stop to this troublesome man?

Last edited by megaresp; 28th March 2015 at 06:09 PM.
megaresp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2015, 06:41 PM   #160
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Hey, like him or hate him, you cannot help but admire his political nouse and cunning in seeing the opportunity and exploiting it.

He has caught Little Johnny with his pants around his ankles good and properly.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics