ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Zealand issues , New Zealand politics

Old 27th June 2015, 12:45 PM   #281
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Meanwhile, Rodney Hide, the dear wee irrelevant man that he is these days, still denying climate change.

Quote:
...Rodney Hide, said the results showed that New Zealand was "saner than most of the world".

"[The results] suggests to me that New Zealanders are more resistant to propaganda than I would have otherwise believed."
Link
Old 27th June 2015, 02:59 PM   #282
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

He has a fair point about the cost.

Obviously climate change is real, but even if humans are making it 100% worse than natural cycles, taxing everyone in NZ for our 0.01% contribution is extremely stupid.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2015, 04:44 PM   #283
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Tax is irrelevant (and zero right now) - Hide is pushing an anti-science, pro-stupidity position.
Old 27th June 2015, 05:40 PM   #284
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Tax is irrelevant (and zero right now) - Hide is pushing an anti-science, pro-stupidity position.
That is because he is an idiot.

Tax isn't irrelevant and it is one of the reasons labour will keep failing being dependant on the greens and their stupid ideas
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2015, 07:06 PM   #285
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Tax isn't irrelevant...
It is when discussing Hide.

Whether taxes are proposed or not is still moot, but one thing is for sure, you could not take less action that National is, having slashed the budget from $1B to $0-00.

National might not be climate deniers, but they may as well be.
Old 27th June 2015, 07:12 PM   #286
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Seriously. What would you prefer?

1 billion paid for absolutely zero effect on climate change, but a major affect on poor people?

Old 27th June 2015, 09:37 PM   #287
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Uh, the money was never spent, so saying what it hasn't done is a bit odd.

It doesn't need to be a tax on the poor, but I doubt it will ever happen anyway - as the article shows, Kiwis just don't care and suggesting a tax would be political suicide.
Old 1st July 2015, 09:52 PM   #288
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Is it okay to post non-political New Zealand-related stuff in this thread? Or is it strictly a politics thread?

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:31 AM   #289
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No worries to me

Old 2nd July 2015, 03:07 AM   #290
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
Is it okay to post non-political New Zealand-related stuff in this thread? Or is it strictly a politics thread?
This is a bizarre question since you quoted the OP only a couple of days ago and I explained that politics is included in the subject, but it's thread about NZ in general.

Post away. Even pics are cool.
Old 2nd July 2015, 09:47 AM   #291
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

I recently discovered Devilskin. I like them.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2015, 02:18 PM   #292
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I recently discovered Devilskin. I like them.
I've had a look.

Alright. A bit tame. The singer doesn't suit the band.

Kind of wannabe Skunk Anansie
Old 2nd July 2015, 02:44 PM   #293
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

We have some good bands occasionally.

NZ music isn't just Lorde and Dave Dobbyn*.

*Content/Trigger Warning!

To avoid damaging your brain, do not search for him, or much worse, listen to his music.

Please.
Old 3rd July 2015, 01:52 AM   #294
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

In that case I'd like to pimp the wonderfulness of the Karearea - the New Zealand Falcon. Recently paid a visit to the Wingspan Birds of Prey Trust which is a non-government agency which rehabilitates and breeds New Zealand birds of prey (particularly the Karearea) for release into the wild. Although I was familiar with this bird, and knew it was rare, I learned quite a lot, and it's now firmly my favourite bird.

There's a couple of reasons I love them. Firstly, they're very attractive birds, and secondly they're uniquely ours. In fact they're New Zealand's only surviving endemic bird of prey - both the Kahu and Ruru are found elsewhere in the world.

I also didn't know how rare they were. I was aware that they're seldom seen, and that most "sightings" are in fact sightings of the much more common and much larger Kahu (Australasian Harrier). But I didn't know that the Karearea is actually considerably rarer than the kiwi. 75% of chicks don't survive their first year, and 1 in 5 adults dies on our power lines. Most depressing, although they're protected, and harming them is very illegal, they're regularly shot by farmers.

Despite being as endangered as the widely-loved kiwi, they're not a widely known bird - in fact many New Zealanders don't even know they exist, which is a bit sad considering they appear on the $20 bill.

But the REAL reason I love them is they're such amazing animals. Unlike the Harrier, which scavanges and can be found regularly on roadsides, the Falcon only hunts on the wing, and its prey is other birds. They're lethal hunters, incredibly fast and agile, and incredibly intelligent. In fact they're considered amongst the most intelligent raptors in the world. It's thought they evolved such remarkable intelligence because they hunted native New Zealand parrots like the kea, kaka and kakariki, themselves all highly intelligent animals.

One of the coolest things about these birds is in fact one of their biggest vulnerabilities. Like the kiwi, they're incredibly brave and incredibly territorial, and more than willing to take on things bigger and badder than themselves. If a much larger Harrier wanders into a Falcon's territory, the Falcon will normally attack the Harrier on sight, and usually succeeds in driving them away. But they don't stop there - they'll also attack humans if they get too close to their nest. If that's not enough, they're more than happy to try chase away diggers, bulldozers and trucks that trespass. In one known case a female Karearea left her nest and pursued a light aircraft in excess of 1km.

This is Wingspan's website.

Here's some amazing photos of these birds.

gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2015, 08:08 AM   #295
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Damien Evans has a birthday
We have some good bands occasionally.

NZ music isn't just Lorde and Dave Dobbyn*.

*Content/Trigger Warning!

To avoid damaging your brain, do not search for him, or much worse, listen to his music.

Please.
Your love shines over my horizon, TA.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2015, 04:19 AM   #296
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Went to the rugby tonight. Pretty cool. Good atmosphere.

My wife supports the hurricanes. Me Crusaders, so it was the first time I have been to a game as massive as a total neutral.

Weird feeling

Old 4th July 2015, 03:43 PM   #297
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Went to the rugby tonight. Pretty cool. Good atmosphere.

My wife supports the hurricanes. Me Crusaders, so it was the first time I have been to a game as massive as a total neutral.

Weird feeling
Must be - I've never been to a game as a neutral.

The Highlanders, eh? I haven't seen a single pass, but the general opinion seems to be they deserved it, so well done, I guess.

Big party in Dunedin tonight!
Old 4th July 2015, 04:00 PM   #298
Fellow Traveler
Master Poster

Can anyone suggest a good website to see pictures of N.Z.
Old 4th July 2015, 04:37 PM   #299
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Google will help you - no shortage of nice pics, but to look at some pro work, go here:

http://www.thepicturelounge.co.nz/gallery-list
Old 5th July 2015, 12:33 AM   #300
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I have a lot of respect for Helen Clark. One of the best leaders to come out of the country.

But watching an interview with her today she has just turned into a UN robot who basically has no opinion that might cost her the top job.

It is actually quite sad to watch

Old 5th July 2015, 10:25 PM   #301
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Hey Atheist.

Need your opinion on whether I am turning into a conspiracy theorist.

Prince Charles coming over at the exact same time as the first flag referendum.

Prince Williams kid wearing retro kit of the exact same thing he wore here on his first visit as a toddler.

I am either an idiot or sensing some desperation from the royals and the flag

Old 6th July 2015, 12:33 PM   #302
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I have a lot of respect for Helen Clark. One of the best leaders to come out of the country.

But watching an interview with her today she has just turned into a UN robot who basically has no opinion that might cost her the top job.

It is actually quite sad to watch
That's the price you pay when the prize is that big. I can't blame her for that - wouldn't you, if one of the world's most visible jobs was about to be up for grabs and you had a fair crack thanks to being a female in the right place at the right time?

She loathes Key with a passion, but she's not going to take anything even related to a political stand right now.

Hey Atheist.

Prince Williams kid wearing retro kit of the exact same thing he wore here on his first visit as a toddler.

My theory is you spend far too much time reading what the royal family's doing!

How the hell do you know:

A: What William's kid was wearing?
B: What William wore 30 years ago?

Mate, I'm disturbed by these revelations.
Old 6th July 2015, 06:40 PM   #303
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Hey Atheist.

I doubt the Royals really care about our flag. Prince William and Prince Harry would probably like nothing more than the Monarchy to be abolished, so they can get on with having normal lives.

Old 6th July 2015, 06:45 PM   #304
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

That's the price you pay when the prize is that big. I can't blame her for that - wouldn't you, if one of the world's most visible jobs was about to be up for grabs and you had a fair crack thanks to being a female in the right place at the right time?

She loathes Key with a passion, but she's not going to take anything even related to a political stand right now.

The UN, by it's nature, needs to be politically neutral and to do any good it has to be able to get disparate groups of people to cooperate. If Helen Clark couldn't work with the National Government, why on earth would anyone think she was capable of getting entire nations that despise each other to work together? She's demonstrating her full scope and capability as a leader.

Old 6th July 2015, 06:50 PM   #305
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I doubt the Royals really care about our flag. Prince William and Prince Harry would probably like nothing more than the Monarchy to be abolished, so they can get on with having normal lives.
Probably right
Old 6th July 2015, 09:44 PM   #306
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
Can anyone suggest a good website to see pictures of N.Z.
This is my landscape photography gallery. All but two were taken in New Zealand.

Old 7th July 2015, 02:48 AM   #307
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Hey Atheist

Much kudos to Little for the rugby balls

Old 7th July 2015, 02:04 PM   #308
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Yep! The Samoan kids won't care that it's a Giblert ball.
Old 9th July 2015, 08:24 PM   #309
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I've been meaning to mention the death of Craig Norgate.

Unquestionably the highest-profile and most-successful corporate businessman of the past 50 years.

From bringing Fonterra into being to making changes to the CA world, Craig Norgate was a giant among NZ corporate executives.

Taking into account his body shape, the news didn't surprise me, but still saddened me - everything I know about him was positive - a really driven executive of enormous energy.
Old 12th July 2015, 07:42 PM   #310
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I notice that it seems to have gone un-noticed that Key has been caught telling fibs again.

He told parliament that he had been advised by the IRD that dropping the $1,000 kick-start would have no significant impact on enrolments.

The reality? The IRD in their budget advice papers started that they believed it would have a significant impact, especially on young people and the Self Employed.

Result of his fib? Kiwisaver enrolments have dropped by up to 50%.

Yay Team Key!

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2015, 08:24 PM   #311
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I notice that it seems to have gone un-noticed that Key has been caught telling fibs again.

He told parliament that he had been advised by the IRD that dropping the $1,000 kick-start would have no significant impact on enrolments.

The reality? The IRD in their budget advice papers started that they believed it would have a significant impact, especially on young people and the Self Employed.

Result of his fib? Kiwisaver enrolments have dropped by up to 50%.

Yay Team Key!
I wouldn't say it's gone unnoticed - there has been some good coverage of it.

I think the problem is more that he's lied so many times that it isn't even news any more.
Old 13th July 2015, 02:21 PM   #312
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

I wouldn't say it's gone unnoticed - there has been some good coverage of it.

I think the problem is more that he's lied so many times that it isn't even news any more.

Rinse... repeat...

I almost wonder if it's some sort of secret ploy - deliberately tell constant lies and half-truths so that when a seriously critical porker comes to light the electorate are so numb to it they don't even notice.

Old 13th July 2015, 05:52 PM   #313
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Rinse... repeat...

I almost wonder if it's some sort of secret ploy - deliberately tell constant lies and half-truths so that when a seriously critical porker comes to light the electorate are so numb to it they don't even notice.
As Little would say

Check out his last name. Sounds asian
Old 13th July 2015, 11:08 PM   #314
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Rinse... repeat...

That is entirely possible.

It certainly works.
Old 14th July 2015, 12:09 AM   #315
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Consistently telling lies is a bit of load of kodswallip

Old 14th July 2015, 12:25 PM   #316
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Mate, I can give you a long list going back over the entire period of his Prime Ministership.

As a starter, here's just a small selection. I get sick of keeping track.
Old 14th July 2015, 02:31 PM   #317
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Mate, I can give you a long list going back over the entire period of his Prime Ministership.

As a starter, here's just a small selection. I get sick of keeping track.
None of those are lies

In fact a fair bit is assumption
Old 14th July 2015, 02:53 PM   #318
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Keep that National delusion going, mate.
Old 14th July 2015, 03:10 PM   #319
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Well it is. I didn't vote National

You need something more concrete and scientifically valid.....like a list of surnames that sound funny
Old 14th July 2015, 04:04 PM   #320
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Do you disagree that the names indicate a 95% likelihood of ethnic origin?

In terms of Johnny Combover's lies, they speak for themselves. Many of them are 100% provable by records, and his claims of "forgetting" are not believable.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics