ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Canada elections , Canada politics , Elizabeth May , justin trudeau , Thomas Mulcair

Old 20th February 2019, 08:52 AM   #481
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
It's not that much different from the Pacific Railway Scandal .

And it will likely have the same long-term effect - the affected political party looses the next election, and then comes back at a later date.
I wouldn't necessarily count the Liberals out just yet.

After all, Quebec tends to support the party with a Quebecer as the PM candidate, which means the Liberals will probably hold on to a lot of seats in Quebec (which would take them half way to a majority right there.) They may lose seats in Ontario and the West, but I don't see the conservative candidate gaining a lot from his personal popularity.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2019, 11:31 AM   #482
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I'm having a hard time getting worked up over this scandal. A Liberal government trying to help out a large Quebec-based firm? Is it Wednesday again? You don't even need to bribe the Liberals to get that done.

And what the company did (paid bribes in Libya) is something I've often felt should not be a crime. Places like that, bribes are just how business is done. We don't have to like it, but it's the reality on the ground, and making it a crime in Canada to play the game the way the locals play it in a different country seems slightly odd to me.
Old 28th February 2019, 08:23 AM   #483
Civet
Graduate Poster

Well Wilson-Raybould has spoken and it looks pretty bad. I don't think this one is fading away any time soon.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 08:53 AM   #484
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Well Wilson-Raybould has spoken and it looks pretty bad. I don't think this one is fading away any time soon.
Trudeau has put his foot in it up to the knee by allowing her to speak.
Old 28th February 2019, 09:25 AM   #485
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Quote:
Trudeau has put his foot in it up to the knee by allowing her to speak.
I guess its like Chretien and Adscam... either he tries to suppress everything (and gets damaged politically because of it) or he tries to give the appearance of an open government (and still gets damaged).

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2019, 09:28 AM   #486
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I guess its like Chretien and Adscam... either he tries to suppress everything (and gets damaged politically because of it) or he tries to give the appearance of an open government (and still gets damaged).
True. My personal opinion is that the political damage would be less, and would blow over more quickly, if she had not spoken out. But I am glad she did.
Old 4th March 2019, 08:40 PM   #487
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Another one bites the dust...

From: https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/jane...ctor-1.4321813
Jane Philpott has resigned from her role as Treasury Board President in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s federal cabinet, saying that she has lost confidence in the way the government is handling the ongoing SNC-Lavalin scandal.

I have to admit, I'm really surprised at just how far this particular scandal has spread. Even Chretien didn't seem to have these problems, and his government had to deal with things like adscam and the hrdc scandal.

We are Groot - Groot

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics