ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Peter Dutton , Scott Morrison

Old 14th March 2019, 01:36 AM   #841
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Mate, I've worked for bookies. I know how they work.
Good. Then I don't have to show how I derived my numbers (I assumed a 5% to 10% vig on all bets made).
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by psionl0; 14th March 2019 at 01:39 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2019, 04:26 PM   #842
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Means almost nothing. Keating was unpopular yet won “unwinnable” elections. Well one anyway. Shorten is less popular than Morrison, yet will win. Popularity means little. Perceived competence beats it hands down.

This election can be won by Labor in Victoria alone. It is now Labor’s stronghold. Getting rid of Shorten, which will not happen in any case, would lose Victoria and maybe the nation.
Right, and don't forget that most of us aren't going to be voting for Shorten. We're going to be voting for whoever is standing in our electorates. If enough of us vote for a Labor candidate, then Shorten will be PM. And that's going to happen.

I feel like I'm stating the obvious here, but it seems to be being missed.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 07:48 PM   #843
Dabop
Muse

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
They should spare everyone the angst. Just schedule every House of Reps member to be PM for one week only. Then EVERYONE gets to be PM!
(looks confused)
I thought we were already doing that?????

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 07:55 PM   #844
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Right, and don't forget that most of us aren't going to be voting for Shorten. We're going to be voting for whoever is standing in our electorates. If enough of us vote for a Labor candidate, then Shorten will be PM. And that's going to happen.

Yes I understand you. I think preferences will flood to Labor. The only risk is if a heap of rightish independents, like Abbott’s opponent, get up and support the LNP from the cross bench. Can’t see that.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 08:22 PM   #845
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
(looks confused)
I thought we were already doing that?????

OK. That really made me laugh.

Things are so confused in the Liberal party at the moment, they're stabbing each other in the FRONT!
Old 17th March 2019, 07:34 PM   #846
Thor 2
Philosopher

Wouldn't it be great if the good people of Maribyrnong were to vote Shorty out of office with a landslide victory to Labor elsewhere. I know, I know, I'm a dreamer.
Old 17th March 2019, 07:36 PM   #847
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Wouldn't it be great if the good people of Maribyrnong were to vote Shorty out of office with a landslide victory to Labor elsewhere. I know, I know, I'm a dreamer.
Prime Minister Wong. That has a good ring to it.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 08:11 PM   #848
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Prime Minister Wong. That has a good ring to it.

I have been saying this for years. Find her a safe seat in the House, elevate her to leader (or PM sometime after Labor wins the election) and that is that. It would not be the first time that a Senator became the Prime Minister.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 08:20 PM   #849
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
OK. That really made me laugh.

Things are so confused in the Liberal party at the moment, they're stabbing each other in the FRONT!
Because their faces look like arses.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 02:48 PM   #850
Thor 2
Philosopher

Be interesting to see how the "shoot em up party" does in the NSW polls in the wake of the Christchurch massacre.
Old 18th March 2019, 04:47 PM   #851
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Be interesting to see how the "shoot em up party" does in the NSW polls in the wake of the Christchurch massacre.
With their preference deal with Labor, I'm going to bet they do okay.
Old 18th March 2019, 07:33 PM   #852
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

The Liberals are in serious trouble with their Facebook supporters. Read the comments of this post. Some are upset they will be giving their preferences to the Greens and Labor ahead of One Nation.

https://www.facebook.com/scottmorris...BzWQ&__tn__=-R

Looks like One Nation will be getting many votes from ex Liberals.
Old 18th March 2019, 07:41 PM   #853
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That's worrying.
Old 18th March 2019, 07:43 PM   #854
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The Liberals are in serious trouble with their Facebook supporters. Read the comments of this post. Some are upset they will be giving their preferences to the Greens and Labor ahead of One Nation.

Looks like One Nation will be getting many votes from ex Liberals.
Doubt if there will be many, actually. I can just see them now...

C'mon, guys! Liberals are all ****** Let's all go vote for One Nation instead!

....guys?

...hello?

...where did they all go...?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 03:19 AM   #855
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

You know, if the Nationals wake up one morning, and actually check their policies and Labor's policies, and form a Coalition with Labor...

... well that would be the permanent end of the Liberals.
Old 19th March 2019, 03:24 AM   #856
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
You know, if the Nationals wake up one morning, and actually check their policies and Labor's policies, and form a Coalition with Labor...

... well that would be the permanent end of the Liberals.
Do you really think the ALP would sell their souls to meld with Barnaby Joyce and fellow troglodytes? Not a chance. If it happened, and it won’t, I would change my vote from Labor for the first time in nearly 50 years.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 09:33 AM   #857
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Do you really think the ALP would sell their souls to meld with Barnaby Joyce and fellow troglodytes?
Maybe not with Gough Whitlam in charge but Shorten is a blatant opportunist.
Old 19th March 2019, 08:29 PM   #858
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Oooh, this is interesting - several journalists claim Morrison made highly questionable remarks about muslims a few years back; Scotty says it's a disgusting lie.

But he's not going to sue...

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...20-p515p7.html
Old 19th March 2019, 08:30 PM   #859
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if he did.
Old 19th March 2019, 09:11 PM   #860
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Scotty says what he is told to say. Rupert has him on speed-dial.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:10 AM   #861
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-02-...im-row/1947034

Quote:
A Fairfax report says Mr Morrison urged shadow cabinet to capitalise on electorate fears of "Muslim immigration", "Muslims in Australia" and Muslim migrants' "inability to integrate".
This is a news report from 2011.

Not sure there is much difference in attitude between Senator Fraser Anning and Morrison.
Old 20th March 2019, 12:27 AM   #862
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-02-...im-row/1947034

This is a news report from 2011.

Not sure there is much difference in attitude between Senator Fraser Anning and Morrison.
Well, one difference might be that Morrison has in the meantime learned that it's not a good idea to spout stupid **** in the wake of a tragedy.
Old 20th March 2019, 01:40 AM   #863
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Well, one difference might be that Morrison has in the meantime learned that it's not a good idea to spout stupid **** in the wake of a tragedy.
So shed crocodile tears until the next issue arises about immigration. We are going to reduce it by 30,000 a year. https://www.pmc.gov.au/sites/default...aI0b-qrd8aIj9U
Old 21st March 2019, 10:20 AM   #864
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Looks like the "disgusting lie" contains at the very least a solid element of truth in it, according to Morrison's new story.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/chr...sion-interview

Yep.
Old 21st March 2019, 04:59 PM   #865
Thor 2
Philosopher

An interesting article by James Boyce. Scomo's religion should be of concern to us and his apparent insincerity. Personally it concerns me deeply that our PM might think we are in end times. What sort of planning for the future might be appropriate given this?

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/...scott-morrison

Quote:
If for no other reason than this dangerous delusion, Australians deserve to know more about what the leader of our country believes. Pentecostalism might not be a cult, but in terms of what ordinary people have been told about its true teachings, it may as well be. Those charged with scrutinising our politicians should put aside the national discomfort about discussing religion, and do what they would if a political leader subscribed to any other little-known ideology. Morrison must be made to tell us more about the faith that has shaped his life: What does he really think of the Devil?
Old 21st March 2019, 05:17 PM   #866
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Didn't I already post that? I'm pretty sure I already posted that.

ETA: I did.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 21st March 2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 21st March 2019, 07:20 PM   #867
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

There seems to be a propensity for Scomo and his fellow travellers to revile people of other faiths due to their professed beliefs. Maybe about time for the shoe to be on the other foot. The religious and other beliefs of our "fine upstanding" citizens that are our current right-wing (Hanson, Palmer and Anning, I'm looking at you) should be examined publicly and commented on just as much.
Old 21st March 2019, 07:23 PM   #868
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

There seems to be a propensity for Scomo and his fellow travellers to revile people of other faiths due to their professed beliefs. Maybe about time for the shoe to be on the other foot. The religious and other beliefs of our "fine upstanding" citizens that are our current right-wing (Hanson, Palmer and Anning, I'm looking at you) should be examined publicly and commented on just as much.
Absolutely. Especially when our politicians let their religion drive their policy.
Old 21st March 2019, 09:05 PM   #869
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

That article is full of nothing except speculation.

Why should a politician's religious beliefs take precedence over say their allegiance to multinational corporations?
Old 21st March 2019, 09:07 PM   #870
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post

Why should a politician's religious beliefs take precedence over say their allegiance to multinational corporations?
You said you weren't going to read it.
Old 21st March 2019, 09:08 PM   #871
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Because they are usually one and the same thing.
Old 21st March 2019, 09:15 PM   #872
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Because they are usually one and the same thing.
Which if you think about it isn't particularly surprising. If someone has a belief system that they turn to about questions about morality, of course that's going to influence their policy decisions. Someone who believes that homosexuality is bad isn't going to support policies that promote diversity and inclusion, unless they can put their personal views aside in favour of a majority. But really, is a politician really going to support something that they strongly believe is immoral?

Hey, remember Ruddock's religious freedom review? Whatever happened to that? Did that just get quietly buried?
Old 21st March 2019, 09:24 PM   #873
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hey, remember Ruddock's religious freedom review? Whatever happened to that? Did that just get quietly buried?
Turns out it kind of was, but the details were leaked and the 20 recommendations were published in the SMH.

Recommendation 17 is interesting in the current state of affairs.
Old 21st March 2019, 09:32 PM   #874
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Which if you think about it isn't particularly surprising. If someone has a belief system that they turn to about questions about morality, of course that's going to influence their policy decisions. Someone who believes that homosexuality is bad isn't going to support policies that promote diversity and inclusion, unless they can put their personal views aside in favour of a majority. But really, is a politician really going to support something that they strongly believe is immoral?

I was thinking more about the fact that most of the religious organisations that our leading politicians adhere to operate more like multinational businesses than as religions. And that some multinationals require and receive "religious" followers. Take Fox Media for example.
Old 21st March 2019, 09:49 PM   #875
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

You said you weren't going to read it.
I said that I would pass on "reading all three articles in full". I still haven't. A quick glance at the article shows that it was a pure opinion piece.

The notion that politicians shouldn't be trusted because we don't know what they truly believe is trivially true. Religious views are just a small subset of what a politician believes in and most are ready, willing and able to abandon their beliefs in the pursuit of votes.
Old 21st March 2019, 09:55 PM   #876
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I was thinking more about the fact that most of the religious organisations that our leading politicians adhere to operate more like multinational businesses than as religions. And that some multinationals require and receive "religious" followers. Take Fox Media for example.
I wouldn't say "most". Most of our politicians have been Catholics or Anglicans.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 21st March 2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added quote for clarity
Old 21st March 2019, 09:58 PM   #877
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I said that I would pass on "reading all three articles in full". I still haven't. A quick glance at the article shows that it was a pure opinion piece.
Well, yes. What gave you the impression that it wasn't? In what way would this subject be appropriate for a pure facts-based news report? News organisations have published opinion pieces since forever. Also, you should still read all three articles in full.

The notion that politicians shouldn't be trusted because we don't know what they truly believe is trivially true. Religious views are just a small subset of what a politician believes in and most are ready, willing and able to abandon their beliefs in the pursuit of votes.
I don't think that's true at all. Otherwise they would have all supported marriage equality.
Old 21st March 2019, 10:23 PM   #878
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I wouldn't say "most". Most of our politicians have been Catholics or Anglicans.
That was my point.
Old 21st March 2019, 10:25 PM   #879
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That was my point.
Yeah, I just realised what I said there.
Old 22nd March 2019, 01:31 AM   #880
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I don't think that's true at all. Otherwise they would have all supported marriage equality.
Don't be silly. Hypocrisy is the number one requirement for a successful politician. Do you think that all the MPs who voted for the SSM legislation are atheists?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics