ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:44 AM   #1
Wudang
BOFH

Putin finances Italian party

Via https://twitter.com/David_K_Clark/st...46220162949120

Quote:
Huge story breaking in Italy. Putin agreed to a request from Lega Nord leader Matteo Salvini to covertly finance his Euro election campaign. The plan was to conceal the payment behind an apparently normal business deal. Sound familiar?
Source : http://espresso.repubblica.it/inchie...ussia-1.331835

I'm unfamiliar with the source and can't read Italian. Anyone better able to evaluate this?
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:59 AM   #2
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Regarding the source, La Republica used to be a very left wing paper back in the '70s and '80s. It's now Italian centre-left (US ultra-left).

As far as I'm aware, it's a fairly credible source.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:55 AM   #3
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Old News. Putin apparently was messing around in the Britex vote as well.
PUtin is out to destroy the Western Democracies by creating chaos by interfering with the electorial process.
I think this is his basic motive;if he can put somebody in power who can do him favors, that is just a nice bonus.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 11:59 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Putin is playing an ultimately stupid game. It might look like he's winning, but that is only because no one is currently playing against him.
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:00 PM   #5
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Putin is playing an ultimately stupid game. It might look like he's winning, but that is only because no one is currently playing against him.
What would happen if they did?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:05 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

What surprised me is that Putin did not do a very good job of hiding what he was doing. One would expect more competence from a guy who used to head the KGB.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:06 PM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What would happen if they did?
For starters?
Freeze all assets of Putin and his loyalists.
that is why Putin hates the Magnitsky Act so much.
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:11 PM   #8
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
What surprised me is that Putin did not do a very good job of hiding what he was doing. One would expect more competence from a guy who used to head the KGB.
Or... he doesn't care about this part coming out. And maybe there's more stuff we don't know about that he's been pretty good at hiding.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Or... he doesn't care about this part coming out. And maybe there's more stuff we don't know about that he's been pretty good at hiding.
I think the first.

Word is that his goal was to destabilize various democracies and increase strife/chaos. For that purpose, someone getting caught is as good as him paying off a party. In fact, the "reveal" could well be an intended component of the plan.

And not just in Italy.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:56 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I think the first.

Word is that his goal was to destabilize various democracies and increase strife/chaos. For that purpose, someone getting caught is as good as him paying off a party. In fact, the "reveal" could well be an intended component of the plan.

And not just in Italy.
I admit, that is a point I had not thought of. If you are a foreign government trying to cause chaos by interfering in an election letting people know you are interfering might add quite a bit to the chaos.
SO Putin might be cleverer then I thought.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 23rd February 2019, 12:57 AM   #11
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I admit, that is a point I had not thought of. If you are a foreign government trying to cause chaos by interfering in an election letting people know you are interfering might add quite a bit to the chaos.

SO Putin might be cleverer then I thought.
Or even less resource consuming make it known that is what you are trying to do and you'll start a new "reds under the bed" paranoia.
Old 23rd February 2019, 02:48 AM   #12
Wudang
BOFH

Or it's part of Russia's "hypernormalisation" strategy. Per the eponymous film by Adam Curtis
Quote:
In Russia, Vladimir Putin and his cabinet of political technologists create mass confusion. Vladislav Surkov uses ideas from art to turn Russian politics into a bewildering piece of theatre. Donald Trump used the same techniques in his presidential campaign by using language from Occupy Wall Street and the extreme racist right-wing. Curtis asserts that Trump "defeated journalism" by rendering its fact-checking abilities irrelevant.
Old 23rd February 2019, 05:43 AM   #13
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
I think the first.

And not just in Italy.

Yes, it acts a force multiplier. Now, any time someone thinks there's even the slightest little bit "off" about a particular political party's success, they're much more likely to start throwing around accusations of being on Putin's payroll. Confusion abounds.
Old 25th February 2019, 03:18 AM   #14
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Yup. Russia is seeding the wind, and we know what they can expect to reap.

On the other hand, he's not playing to "win" in the conventional sense. To him a "victory" is something that sees Russia as powerful as possible when he kicks the bucket. If it collapses into a failed state shortly thereafter all the better, at least his memory will be the last time ever Russia was relevant at the world stage.

Cf. Hugo Chavez.

McHrozni
Old 25th February 2019, 01:25 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

When Putin kicks the bucket, I predict a new "Time of Troubles" for Russia.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th February 2019, 02:43 AM   #16
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

When Putin kicks the bucket, I predict a new "Time of Troubles" for Russia.
That's like predicting casting a fair six sided die, where sides are marked with numbers ranging from 1 to 6 once will produce a result between 1 and 6 including 1 and 6 as possibilities).

But Putin will be absolved of all blame by Russian historians, he will be the last emperor to keep Russia peaceful and strong, the next guy will take all the blame.

Just like Venezuela, really. Maduro was set up to fail, he is a less than mediocre man in way over his head, but no one could do things notably better than him anyway. Venezuela was ruined by Chavez already, all his successor could do is to keep the ship afloat a little longer.

McHrozni
Old 27th February 2019, 02:54 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
That's like predicting casting a fair six sided die, where sides are marked with numbers ranging from 1 to 6 once will produce a result between 1 and 6 including 1 and 6 as possibilities).

But Putin will be absolved of all blame by Russian historians, he will be the last emperor to keep Russia peaceful and strong, the next guy will take all the blame.

Just like Venezuela, really. Maduro was set up to fail, he is a less than mediocre man in way over his head, but no one could do things notably better than him anyway. Venezuela was ruined by Chavez already, all his successor could do is to keep the ship afloat a little longer.

McHrozni
All we will need is a False Dimitri...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 08:08 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Bunga bunga?
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:13 PM   #19
Venom
Graduate Poster

Plus Putin always has his loyal RT and Sputnik to come from behind and yell "nuh uh!" at Western mainstream media. It works, unfortunately.

RT is Putin's favorite peacetime weapon, for good reason.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics