ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags India-Pakistan relations

Old 27th February 2019, 12:20 AM   #41
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Uh, that India and Pakistan have been fighting and having border clashes since 1947 seems to have passed you by.
No it has not passed me by.
I will break it down for you so it may be easier to see where I was going:

The US decided it was perfectly OK to enter uninvited into Pakistan and stage a military operation that was basically a vigilante attack and execute an accused criminal terrorist named Bin Laden along with some others.
Their stated reasons for committing this violation of fundamental sovereign nation law was to execute what it claims were criminal terrorists resident in Pakistan that had committed terrorist acts on US soil and to stop these same people from committing further terrorist acts on US soil.
The US got away with this military action resulting in the deaths of Pakistani residents on Pakistani soil after a bit of sabre rattling from Pakistan and a few other countries that amounted to a fart in the wind.

Now we see that India has used its military to enter into Pakistan's airspace and execute what it states were criminal terrorists resident in Pakistan.
India is claiming that it did so to punish terrorists involved in past acts of terrorism on Indian soil and to protect itself from further attacks.

Using an earlier event or action as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances is the very definition of "precedent".

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 27th February 2019 at 12:28 AM. Reason: punctuation and grammar
rockinkt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:41 AM   #42
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Some reports say a Pakistani jet may also have been shot down.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other
Indeed. This is a pretty major escalation.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:37 AM   #43
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
My bet is that the only reason India decided to launch this attack at this time is because they're reasonably confident that Pakistan won't escalate.
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I don't think this will escalate very much...
Hmmm...
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:44 AM   #44
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Should we check the far side of the moon for a Taelon base, waiting to nuke an SI battlefield? I'm always a little disturbed when real life mirrors science fiction.
Old 27th February 2019, 03:28 AM   #45
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Pakistan shoots down Indian aircraft over Kashmir BBC Report

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47383634

In addition to the air actions Indian and Pakistani troops have been shelling across the LoC. Four Pakistani civilians were killed and 10 others were injured in cross-border shelling on Tuesday.

On the Indian side, five soldiers were also injured in the firing, officials told the BBC. Schools in at least two districts along the LoC - Rajouri and Poonch - have been closed.

People living along the de facto border have been asked to leave their homes.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 27th February 2019 at 03:30 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 03:37 AM   #46
baron

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
They live there.
Is living in a place an excuse to break their laws and disrespect their culture? Or is it just Muslims to whom you afford that privilege?
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 05:07 AM   #47
Tolls
Illuminator

They're not disrespecting their culture.
They were moving cows!
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 05:10 AM   #48
baron

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
They're not disrespecting their culture.
They were moving cows!
Moooving cows.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 05:15 AM   #49
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Is living in a place an excuse to break their laws and disrespect their culture? Or is it just Muslims to whom you afford that privilege?
You got me there. No, wait, you didn't.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 05:35 AM   #50
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
No it has not passed me by.
I will break it down for you so it may be easier to see where I was going:

The US decided it was perfectly OK to enter uninvited into Pakistan and stage a military operation that was basically a vigilante attack and execute an accused criminal terrorist named Bin Laden along with some others.
Their stated reasons for committing this violation of fundamental sovereign nation law was to execute what it claims were criminal terrorists resident in Pakistan that had committed terrorist acts on US soil and to stop these same people from committing further terrorist acts on US soil.
The US got away with this military action resulting in the deaths of Pakistani residents on Pakistani soil after a bit of sabre rattling from Pakistan and a few other countries that amounted to a fart in the wind.

Now we see that India has used its military to enter into Pakistan's airspace and execute what it states were criminal terrorists resident in Pakistan.
India is claiming that it did so to punish terrorists involved in past acts of terrorism on Indian soil and to protect itself from further attacks.

Using an earlier event or action as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances is the very definition of "precedent".
Yep and that is why we can't be upset about the Saudi killing of a reporter when we had kidnapped and tortured people in other countries. Clearly abduction and torture in third countries is acceptable for any country to do.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 06:04 AM   #51
Tolls
Illuminator

Moooving cows.
Yeessss...

That doesn't really explain your bizarro-world view that the people targetted by these vigilantes (and seemingly murdered by cops) were somehow breaking some law or cultural taboo.

They weren't.

They were moving dairy cattle.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 06:06 AM   #52
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yeessss...

That doesn't really explain your bizarro-world view that the people targetted by these vigilantes (and seemingly murdered by cops) were somehow breaking some law or cultural taboo.

They weren't.

Look they should have known better, like Emit Till should have known better than to get accused of whistling at a white woman. Clearly he was at fault for being there at all in a culture that didn't want him there.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 06:15 AM   #53
baron

Yeessss...

They weren't.

Don't mess with cows in India. Goats are your best bet.
Old 27th February 2019, 06:34 AM   #54
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Hmmm...

They call it saving face.
Old 27th February 2019, 07:05 AM   #55
Tolls
Illuminator

I'll take that as an admittance that you were talking bollocks...
Old 27th February 2019, 08:02 AM   #56
baron

I'll take that as an admittance that you were talking bollocks...
You can take it in whatever position you like, it makes no odds to me.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:14 AM   #57
crescent
Illuminator

No. Water buffalo. The milk tastes better than cow milk, the meat tastes like beef.

I don't know about India, but when I lived in Nepal, most Nepalis seemed to view the idea of keeping goats for milk as bizarre. It just wasn't done.

Milk came from cows and buff. Red meat came from buff and goats.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:21 AM   #58
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

India and Pakistan have a long history of deescalating conflicts.
The only question is how big the egos on each side are - they are probably too big to let this quiet down quickly.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:28 AM   #59
Garrison
Illuminator

Yeessss...

They weren't.

Which are legal and in no way taboo as the milk they produce is the raw ingredient of ghee, a staple of regional cuisine.

The actual point was that you have two countries where religious fanatics have far too much influence. The BJP is openly a fundamentalist party that despises Muslims and on the other side of the border you clearly have elements in the Pakistani government willing to at the very least turn a blind eye to the presence of terrorist organizations in their country. India and Pakistan have clashed before, but I don't think either has ever been in the grip of such extremist elements before.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:39 AM   #60
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The only question is how big the egos on each side are - they are probably too big to let this quiet down quickly.
How do you figure?

What's your definition of "quickly"?

If it does quiet down quickly, will you think, "maybe I was wrong about the size of the egos"?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:40 AM   #61
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The way I see it, the slapfight about sacred cows currently going on in this thread will probably last longer than the flare-up itself.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:42 AM   #62
crescent
Illuminator

Pakistan seems to have fired artillery into India. India responded with jets. Pakistan claims to have shot down two jets, India admits to the "loss" of one.

India Pakistan: Kashmir fighting sees Indian aircraft downed

These are Mig-21s. Old but fast. Also unreliable. My impression is that the Pakistani airforce is more modern than most of the Indian airforce.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 10:58 AM   #63
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Pakistan seems to have fired artillery into India. India responded with jets. Pakistan claims to have shot down two jets, India admits to the "loss" of one.
It's not outside the realm of possibility that one was shot down and one crashed due to a mechanical issue and the Pakistanis are trying to claim both while the Indians are trying to down play it to one with both sides being completely dishonest while neither side is technically lying, which is the state where most international relations take place.

It's slightly eyebrow raising why they are using MIG-21 instead of any other the other more modern strike aircraft in their inventory, but there's plenty of possible legit reasons for that.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:01 AM   #64
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's slightly eyebrow raising why they are using MIG-21 instead of any other the other more modern strike aircraft in their inventory, but there's plenty of possible legit reasons for that.
Expendability.
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:32 AM   #65
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Indeed. This is a pretty major escalation.
It doesn't seem that major to me. It's essentially a tit-for-tat exchange, as far as I can tell. India strikes paramilitary forces on the Pakistani side of the border. Pakistan comes over the next day and shoots down a couple Indian fighters.

There's some Very Serious national security meetings happening on both sides, which is entirely to be expected. But there's no reports of major troop mobilizations, no ramping up of militant rhetoric. Just the usual saber-rattling and posturing that goes along with incidents like this.
Old 27th February 2019, 11:50 AM   #66
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yep and that is why we can't be upset about the Saudi killing of a reporter when we had kidnapped and tortured people in other countries. Clearly abduction and torture in third countries is acceptable for any country to do.

Why in the world do you think I am for anything like this?

I pointed out that a precedent had been set because the US had not received any sanctions for their attack and India claimed to be doing their attack for basically the same reason as the US.

The term "precedent" is neutral.

At no time did I state or imply in any way, shape or form, that I was either for or against anyone's violation of Pakistan's sovereignty.

I suggest you quit jumping to conclusions as you might sprain something.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 11:58 AM   #67
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post

I pointed out that a precedent had been set because the US had not received any sanctions for their attack and India claimed to be doing their attack for basically the same reason as the US.
Besides, the precedent is much older than that.
Old 27th February 2019, 12:01 PM   #68
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think the advent of a hard line Hindu government in India as a lot to do with it.
Both sides are at fault:Pakistan for letting guerilllas operating from Pakistan;,India for really inflaming tensions with what amounts to persecution of Muslims.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:02 PM   #69
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Expendability.
Probably, I was a little surprised since MIG 21's are ancient in terms of fighter aircraft;they are probably used only for ground attack, in a dogfight they are toast.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 12:38 PM   #70
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Probably, I was a little surprised since MIG 21's are ancient in terms of fighter aircraft;they are probably used only for ground attack, in a dogfight they are toast.
I think they had to extend the service of the 21s when the PAK-50/Su-57 deal fell apart.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:00 PM   #71
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Or alternatively, both sides have now flexed enough muscle to tell their home crowd some variant of "Now they'll know better than to **** with us," and things quiet down to close to the previous level of unease.
Old 27th February 2019, 01:10 PM   #72
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

The way I see it, the slapfight about sacred cows currently going on in this thread will probably last longer than the flare-up itself.
That seems a safe bet.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 01:59 PM   #73
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
Which are legal and in no way taboo as the milk they produce is the raw ingredient of ghee, a staple of regional cuisine.

The actual point was that you have two countries where religious fanatics have far too much influence. The BJP is openly a fundamentalist party that despises Muslims and on the other side of the border you clearly have elements in the Pakistani government willing to at the very least turn a blind eye to the presence of terrorist organizations in their country. India and Pakistan have clashed before, but I don't think either has ever been in the grip of such extremist elements before.
You make it sound like it's a complex situation and not just about sacred cows.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 02:42 PM   #74
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You make it sound like it's a complex situation and not just about sacred cows.
The Sacred Cows are just a symptom of the problem,not the problem itself.]
What I find scary is that some people here seem to be de facto approving of religious persuction..so long as it's victims are Muslims.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 02:44 PM   #75
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Never forget extremes feed off of each other.
Muslim extremists raids into India give more power and Popularity to the Hindu Fundy Government, which then harasses Muslims, which then inflames the Muslim extremists even more, on ad bloody naseum.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th February 2019, 05:51 PM   #76
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It doesn't seem that major to me. It's essentially a tit-for-tat exchange, as far as I can tell. India strikes paramilitary forces on the Pakistani side of the border. Pakistan comes over the next day and shoots down a couple Indian fighters.

There's some Very Serious national security meetings happening on both sides, which is entirely to be expected. But there's no reports of major troop mobilizations, no ramping up of militant rhetoric. Just the usual saber-rattling and posturing that goes along with incidents like this.
Indian fighter pilot captured by Pakistan becomes unlikely human face of Kashmir crisis

Quote:
A downed Indian fighter pilot who was attacked by a mob and then paraded on video by Pakistan's army has become the human face of a spiralling crisis between the nuclear-armed neighbours.

The furore emerged after Pakistan's military shot down two Indian warplanes and captured the pilot on Wednesday, raising tensions between the two rivals to a level unseen in decades.

The man was brutally beaten by Pakistani villagers and taken by soldiers in clips that have since gone viral on social media, seeing him fast emerge as a symbol of the dangerous flare-up between the arch-foes.

India has not confirmed the man's identity, but Indian media have given his name as Abhinandan Varthaman.

The airman's treatment at the hands of Pakistani troops drew both condemnation and praise, while at his house in southern India supporters gathered to record messages of solidarity.

In one video posted on social media, a Pakistani soldier ankle-deep in a stream of water in the disputed Kashmir region can be seen shielding the pilot from angry villagers and shouting "enough" as they pummel his bloodied face and strike blows against his limp body.

In another video, posted on Twitter by Pakistan's information ministry, the pilot is blindfolded and can be heard saying "I've got hurt and I would request some water".
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 06:40 PM   #77
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

In what is neither a big surprise nor a serious escalation, Pakistani treatment of POWs is somewhat depressing.

What's your point?
Old 27th February 2019, 07:02 PM   #78
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

In what is neither a big surprise nor a serious escalation, Pakistani treatment of POWs is somewhat depressing.

What's your point?
My point is that it is an escalation, when compared to the last ten years of India/Pakistan relations. The war in Kashmir has been cold. Now it's hot again.
Old 27th February 2019, 07:32 PM   #79
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Best advice; don't go to India, disrespect their culture and break their laws
India is 14% Muslim. They didn't "go to India", they are native-born Indians.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2019, 08:34 PM   #80
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

My point is that it is an escalation, when compared to the last ten years of India/Pakistan relations. The war in Kashmir has been cold. Now it's hot again.
The pilot's situation doesn't tell us anything about that.

And now you're just equivocating between the Indian airstrikes yesterday, and the shoot-down today. I'm inclined to view the former as an actual escalation, but not the latter. And even then, I'm not so sure about the former.

Do you have something other than the news report about the pilot, that argues in favor of this being not just an "escalation", but a serious departure from the status quo?

After all, Pakistan has been sending paramilitary troops into India for years. Is it really an "escalation" if India bombs one of their training camps or staging grounds from time to time?

And given that Pakistan has been sending paramilitary troops into India for years, is it really correct to say the war in Kashmir has been "cold"? Troops were fighting, bullets were flying, and people were dying long before yesterday's incident.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics