ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th March 2019, 05:40 PM   #41
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's a problem in tiny Port Townsend as well. Lots of concern being expressed, but no viable solutions.
Old 17th March 2019, 04:32 PM   #42
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Are you guys hearing about Fraser Anning where you are?
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 04:38 PM   #43
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Are you guys hearing about Fraser Anning where you are?
Comment I saw on Facebook: They should not have dropped an egg on him. Instead, it should have been a big steaming bucket of ****.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 05:19 PM   #44
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Comment I saw on Facebook: They should not have dropped an egg on him. Instead, it should have been a big steaming bucket of ****.
No, I think an egg was perfect. The only reason he shouldn't have done it was that he was tackled by 30 bogans afterward.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 05:42 PM   #45
wasapi
Philosopher

The town where I live is named The Most Liberal town in the USA. Peace signs everywhere. Woo's on every street. Business's everywhere that reflect that; Breath Therapy, Inner Child and Reiki, it just goes on and on. Convenient walking distance to pot dispensary's from anywhere in town.

It is interesting. I am living in a nuclear-free, hate-free community. That is what the sign entering town says.
Old 17th March 2019, 07:07 PM   #46
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile, in our little neck of the woods, our neighboring town (my own town so small that we don't have a full post office, and share their zip code) has elected its first mayor, and being a politician to the core, her first act after swearing in was to poop on the floor.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 17th March 2019 at 07:09 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 08:54 PM   #47
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
The town where I live is named The Most Liberal town in the USA. Peace signs everywhere. Woo's on every street. Business's everywhere that reflect that; Breath Therapy, Inner Child and Reiki, it just goes on and on. Convenient walking distance to pot dispensary's from anywhere in town.

It is interesting. I am living in a nuclear-free, hate-free community. That is what the sign entering town says.
Sorry, but I don't equate "woo" with "liberal (in the US sense). They would seem to be very much at the opposite ends of a spectrum about operational reality. Woo's have a very weak grasp of it, while liberals worship it in the extreme.

Have I missed something?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 08:55 PM   #48
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Meanwhile, in our little neck of the woods, our neighboring town (my own town so small that we don't have a full post office, and share their zip code) has elected its first mayor, and being a politician to the core, her first act after swearing in was to poop on the floor.
So no change from the previous mayor?
Old 18th March 2019, 05:54 AM   #49
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
I'm in Los Angeles. We continue to not solve the massive problem of homelessness here. It's huge and incredibly visible. You literally cannot miss it in large parts of the city. Not just poor neighborhoods either. We talk about it alot though.
It was hearing about a homeless problem that made me want to make the thread. Our local public pool is apparently having difficulties with one homeless gentleman who saves up to buy a day pass, and comes in for a hot shower and a nap. No one would have a problem with that at all, except he also sneaks in a bottle of vodka, gets piss drunk, and passes out naked in the locker room. On the one hand everyone's sympathetic with him, on the other hand there's a naked drunk guy passed out on the locker room bench. No good solutions here either.

Sorry, but I don't equate "woo" with "liberal (in the US sense). They would seem to be very much at the opposite ends of a spectrum about operational reality. Woo's have a very weak grasp of it, while liberals worship it in the extreme.

Have I missed something?
The US political dichotomy isn't much of a spectrum anymore. Woos can be found at either end, and there's not a lot in between. "Liberal" has been stripped of its slightly-left-of-center-but-not-that-far-left-I-mean-let's-be-reasonable-here meaning and merged into every other left-leaning term, rubbing elbows with "communism" and "being a decent human being."

Last edited by Beelzebuddy; 18th March 2019 at 06:02 AM.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 11:20 AM   #50
wasapi
Philosopher

Have I missed something?
Ah, I guess may description was not well thought out, sorry. My main point is that where I reside is a bit like going back to the '60's. I was 'coming of age' then, and is much like I remember.
Old 18th March 2019, 11:22 AM   #51
Ranb
Philosopher

Gun range I belong to got sued over noise, safety and permit issues. A few people said they had bullets landing on their property, but people shoot in the woods all around the range, so might not have been a bullet from the club. Seems the club moved too much dirt without a permit. The day after I installed noise abatement, the county attorney told me it was illegal to use. WA exempts gun ranges from all noise regulations from 7am to 10pm; didn't stop a judge from declaring the club a nuisance. The fight goes on.

WA allows rural counties to operate properly equipped ATV's on highways that have a posted speed limit 35 mph or less. Higher populated counties like mine require an ordinance be passed to allow it. I've been unable to talk my county into allowing ATV's on the public roads.

I live in an old double wide manufactured home. Paid $70k for it back in 2001. These things should not appreciate much as they are not as durable as stick built homes. My "palace" is taxed at $119k now.

Am paying a flat rate of $34 per month for water (I'm on my own septic tank). Has gone up from $14/month since 2001. The good part is water meters were installed. I've yet to see if my water conservation measures will save me any money though. There will probably be a flat rate plus usage. Not sure if my bill will go up or down; they've got to pay for those meters somehow.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 11:37 AM   #52
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Have I missed something?
It's mostly semantics. It's not that liberals rank any differently on the "Believe nonsense" meter, just that "Woo" as a generic term is more often applied to the specific type of nonsense that, in general, tends to be more liberal.

You ain't gonna find too many Trump supporters getting their Chakras aligned or buying healing crystals or that whole vague, piecemeal stolen from Native American, Eastern Mysticism, and New Age imagery stuff or any of that hippy-dippy stuff.

I'm just saying if I walk into the store in our hipster neighbor where Dr. Bonner's soap is the most mainstream thing they sell, everyone smells like patchouli, you could rob the place with a spoonful of gluten, and there's a sign saying "The Crystal Picks the Person" over a cabinet of waaaaaaay overpriced carved jade knickknacks... you ain't gonna see too many MAGA hats in the place. And that's what imagery pops in my head when I think Woo.

Now things like deep state conspiracy theories, religious end of the world scenarios, preppers, white genocide panic and all the other lovely stuff I have to listen to when I all I want to do is spend a few hours sending rounds down range... that's the Conservatives.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2019, 09:27 PM   #53
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
The US political dichotomy isn't much of a spectrum anymore. Woos can be found at either end, and there's not a lot in between. "Liberal" has been stripped of its slightly-left-of-center-but-not-that-far-left-I-mean-let's-be-reasonable-here meaning and merged into every other left-leaning term, rubbing elbows with "communism" and "being a decent human being."
Ah, I see.

1) Woo = nutcase of any flavour
2) Liberal = anything to the left of Genghis Khan.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics