IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags mass shootings , school shootings , shooting incidents

Old 2nd December 2021, 02:50 PM   #3281
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
My Grandparents moved out to that area from Detroit in the early 70's. One of my younger aunts graduated from Oxford, although she was at the previous building and not the current one.

One of the reasons for moving out there was because it was safer. It also was not considered the suburbs at that time.

Funny how city problems don't stay in the cities.
Are these kinds of school shootings a "city" problem.

The suburbs have plenty of mal-adjusted teens with easy access to guns
Old 2nd December 2021, 02:57 PM   #3282
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I think most shootings and most mass shootings are city phenomena, but the headline producing mass school shootings specifically seem to be primarily suburban.
Old 3rd December 2021, 09:10 PM   #3283
Bogative
Master Poster

Weekly weekday numbers.

4 killed, 7 wounded.

Already covered in this thread.

Rex, Georgia

4 killed, 3 wounded.

Domestic violence call. A black dude kills two women and shoots a 12-year-old boy in the face. While police are rendering aid to one of the women, the suspect opens fire on police, killing one and injuring a second.

2 mass shootings.

8 killed.

9 wounded.

These are not the DVEs the DOJ is looking for.
Old 4th December 2021, 06:40 AM   #3284
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I think most shootings and most mass shootings are city phenomena, but the headline producing mass school shootings specifically seem to be primarily suburban.
You can't see why spree shootings, especially schoolhouse massacres, capture a special attention in the media?
Old 4th December 2021, 12:23 PM   #3285
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
You can't see why spree shootings, especially schoolhouse massacres, capture a special attention in the media?
Why do people do this ******

I wrote something. Just read it. Don't add.

Is it true that shootings,including those that meet the definition of "mass shootings", happen more often in city settings than suburban settings?
Is it true that more mass school shootings, which tend to produce more headlines, happen in suburban \settings?

That's what I wrote. Don't add. If I am wrong about the frequency of the shootings, feel free to correct it, but don't add stuff in.
Old 4th December 2021, 03:06 PM   #3286
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Why do people do this ******

I wrote something. Just read it. Don't add.

Is it true that shootings,including those that meet the definition of "mass shootings", happen more often in city settings than suburban settings?
Is it true that more mass school shootings, which tend to produce more headlines, happen in suburban \settings?

That's what I wrote. Don't add. If I am wrong about the frequency of the shootings, feel free to correct it, but don't add stuff in.
I dunno, is it true?

I have no reason to think a spree shooter in a public high school in a major city would get any less coverage. The type of shooting seems to make it more newsworthy. "Street crime", however vaguely that is defined, tends to be less newsworthy compared to spree-shooting type massacres.
Old 4th December 2021, 08:40 PM   #3287
Bogative
Master Poster

Back to our regularly scheduled not-newsworthy mass shootings.

Elizabeth City, North Carolina

3 killed, 3 wounded.

18-year-old Jaquan White, 39-year-old De'Shay Berry and 3-year-old Allura Pledger, all black, were killed. No suspect description given.

Memphis, Tennessee

2 killed, 2 wounded.

Drive-by at a gas station.

15-year-old girl and 16-year-old girl were killed, a sixteen-year-old girl and a nine-month-old baby were wounded while sitting in a car.

A suspect description is not given.
Old 6th December 2021, 08:50 PM   #3288
Bogative
Master Poster

Weekly Roundup.

Detroit, Michigan

2 killed, 2 wounded.

No details available outside of Facebook.

El Paso, Texas

1 killed, 3 wounded.

A group of women were kicked out of a bar for fighting. The fight continued outside when four men from Fort Bliss tried to break it up, their efforts were met with some guy walking up and shooting the four of them.

No suspect description given.

6 mass shootings.

19 wounded.

16 killed.

0 RMVE-WS suspects pulling the trigger.

655 mass shootings this year.
Old 11th December 2021, 08:53 PM   #3289
Bogative
Master Poster

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

4 wounded.

All four victims were sitting in a car. Police say it was a shootout between two groups. No suspect description given.

Capitol Heights, Maryland

4 wounded.

Occurred at a gas station. No suspect description given.

Beloit, Wisconsin

1 killed, 5 wounded.

An argument inside of a detached garage turned into gunplay. No suspect description given.

Charlotte, North Carolina

5 wounded.

Drive-by shooting at a balloon release for an 11-year-old girl who died earlier from heart disease. Davion Larome Redfearn, a black man, has been arrested.

Orlando, Florida

5 wounded.

Drive-by.
Quote:
Orlando police spokeswoman Heidi Rodrνguez said the incident stemmed from an “ongoing dispute” between two people, one of whom was inside the SUV who fired into a group of people where the other person was standing.

Lansing, Michigan

1 killed, 3 wounded.

All four victims were shot while sitting in a car at 4:30 a.m. A 17-year-old girl was killed, an 18-year-old girl and nine-month-old infant are a critical condition. A 16-year-old boy is in serious condition.
Old 13th December 2021, 09:14 PM   #3290
Bogative
Master Poster

River Grove, Illinois

1 killed, 3 wounded.

Bowling alley, multiple shooters. Tariq D. Johnson did not survive.

Woodbridge, Virginia

4 wounded.

An argument up in da club escalated into gunfire outside. Suspect described as a Hispanic male.

Baytown, Texas

1 killed, 13 wounded.

Drive-by shooting at a vigil for "lil' daddy", who was murdered a few weeks earlier. There were several children in the crowd that was fired upon.

Bolton, Mississippi

6 wounded.

Gunfire erupted at during a "music showcase"(I'm going to guess bluegrass).

Durham, North Carolina.

2 killed, 4 wounded.

All six were found in a car, one 19-year-old, the rest were between 12-17 years old. The shooting happened at 3 a.m.
Quote:
A community crime map shows at least three dozen other incidents have occurred in the area in the last month.
Jeez, maybe DHS should pull some of their agents off of the hordes of angry soccer moms and help out a little.

13 mass shootings.

9 killed.

61 wounded.

0 white DVEs suspected on the trigger.

668 mass shootings this year.
Old 13th December 2021, 09:29 PM   #3291
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Man, will you knock this **** off??? We got two perfectly damn good white boy shooter threads to talk about here. Important ****, bro.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2021, 02:10 PM   #3292
Bogative
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Man, will you knock this **** off??? We got two perfectly damn good white boy shooter threads to talk about here. Important ****, bro.

Only two? Gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers in the **** whitey racket.
Old 15th December 2021, 03:17 PM   #3293
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Two and a half if you count the Smollett thread.
Old 17th December 2021, 02:56 PM   #3294
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Two and a half if you count the Smollett thread.
I'm inclined to toss Baldwin in there as half a mass shooter as well. Does it count that he was shooting a Western?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2021, 09:38 AM   #3295
Bogative
Master Poster

Here are the weekly weekday numbers:

4 wounded.

Police heard a shooting in the Kensington neighborhood (more over-policing). Law enforcement says it was a shootout between a group of people. No suspect description given.

Fresno, California

4 wounded.

ShotSpotter(a tool of white supremacy) alerted police to 16 shots being fired. No suspect description given.

Troy, Alabama

4 wounded.

Shooting occurred at 3:15 pm. Ethan De Ron Franklin and Theodore Andrew Sheemar Carroll, both of the "historically oppressed class," have been arrested and charged with attempted murder.

Baltimore, Maryland

1 killed, 4 wounded.

ShotSpotter(a tool of white supremacy) alerted police. No suspect description given.

Portsmouth, Virginia

4 wounded.

Shooting occurred at a gentleman's club. No suspect description given.

Baltimore, Maryland

1 killed, 3 wounded.

ShotSpotter alerted police.

Quote:
3 shot at seen; 1 GSW arrive at hospital on own;
No suspect description given.
Old 19th December 2021, 09:47 AM   #3296
Fonebone
persona non grata

Puerto Rico
Five men executed NSFW
video https://usacrime.com/2021/12/09/mass...cute-five-men/
All great truths begin as blasphemies __Shaw
Fonebone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2021, 09:58 AM   #3297
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fonebone View Post
Puerto Rico
Five men executed NSFW
video https://usacrime.com/2021/12/09/mass...cute-five-men/
Every time I see a link like that, I say "ya know, OP, there are websites out there that have cute girls in bikinis and stuff. Just sayin".

Old 19th December 2021, 04:10 PM   #3298
mgidm86
Philosopher

Yet here you are.
Old 20th December 2021, 08:50 PM   #3299
Bogative
Master Poster

The weekly roundup:

Brooklyn, Illinois

1 killed, 3 wounded.

Shooting occurred outside of a strip club. No suspect description given.

7 mass shootings.

3 killed.

26 wounded.

0 suspected white supremacist DVEs on the trigger.

676 mass shootings so far this year.
Old 27th December 2021, 10:06 PM   #3300
Bogative
Master Poster

The weekly numbers:

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

6 wounded.

Domestic dispute leads to a shootout. Police have identified the suspect but did not release any information.

Alpharetta, Georgia

1 killed, 3 wounded.

Domestic. Black female shooter.

Brooklyn, New York

4 wounded.

A man approached and opened fire as the victims were standing outside of a deli.

Lafayette, Louisiana

4 wounded.

Shooting outside the waffle house. No suspect description given.

4 wounded.

Drive-by. No suspect description given.

Fayette, Mississippi

1 killed, 6 wounded.

Shooting occurred at a party. Black male teenager arrested.

Clear Brook, Virginia

1 killed, 3 wounded.

Domestic violence. Latino male shooter.

Buffalo, New York

4 wounded.

Shooting inside a pop-up store. No suspect description given.

Garland, Texas

3 killed, 1 wounded.

Convenience store shooting. All four victims were between the ages of 14 and 17. The shooter is a 14-year-old white boy.

Youngstown, Ohio

1 killed, 3 wounded.

Shoot out in an apartment complex. No suspect description given.

10 mass shootings.

6 killed.

39 wounded.

686 mass shootings so far this year.

No suspected racially or ethnically motivated violence extremists – white supremacists or existential threat to America – insurrectionists on the trigger.
Old 28th December 2021, 06:52 PM   #3301
crescent
Illuminator

They have identified the shooter in Denver (five people killed by shooter, shooter killed by police, two wounded including the cop that killed the shooter).

He seems to be a disgruntled tattoo artist who had his own shop, which went bankrupt. He targeted other tattoo shops. Also wrote some books that at least one reviewer compared to the Turner Dairies.

Police identify 47-year-old man who killed 5 people, injured 2 others in Lakewood, Denver shooting spree.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2021, 07:21 PM   #3302
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
They have identified the shooter in Denver (five people killed by shooter, shooter killed by police, two wounded including the cop that killed the shooter).

He seems to be a disgruntled tattoo artist who had his own shop, which went bankrupt. He targeted other tattoo shops. Also wrote some books that at least one reviewer compared to the Turner Dairies.

Police identify 47-year-old man who killed 5 people, injured 2 others in Lakewood, Denver shooting spree.
Yikes! No surprise that it turns out he was a big fan of the alt-right lunatic cult.

Link
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2021, 05:58 AM   #3303
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

Yeah, the guy was a minor celebrity of the right wing "manosphere", with a bunch of bizarre books and postings celebrating the need for more masculine and violent men.
Old 29th December 2021, 07:25 AM   #3304
angrysoba
Philosophile

Yeah, the guy was a minor celebrity of the right wing "manosphere", with a bunch of bizarre books and postings celebrating the need for more masculine and violent men.
Some of them were singing his praises on social media. Others were furiously deleting their conversations. Also, I suppose people noticed Zuby for something other than being a crap rap artist and Covid minimizer.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2021, 08:33 PM   #3305
Bogative
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Garland, Texas

3 killed, 1 wounded.

Convenience store shooting. All four victims were between the ages of 14 and 17. The shooter is a 14-year-old white boy.

Correction. The 14-year-old on the trigger is described by police as a "light-skinned Hispanic male." His dad drove him to the convenience store so he could shoot teenagers he had a beef with.

Source
Old 30th December 2021, 04:14 AM   #3306
Parsman
Muse

To those of us living in other western civilized countries it seems incredible that you can even produce lists like these to argue the relative "merits" of which group in society is killing other groups in society. In the UK we have some issues with knife crime and homicide. Our focus tends to be on trying to deal with the violence, not on assigning blame.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2021, 06:00 AM   #3307
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Some of them were singing his praises on social media. Others were furiously deleting their conversations. Also, I suppose people noticed Zuby for something other than being a crap rap artist and Covid minimizer.
The novels that so many of these freaks were gushing over are little more than a self-insert fantasy of a mass shooter peppered with extreme misogyny and other toxic ideologies. Literally wrote about a protagonist with his name murdering characters of the same name and location of his eventual victims.

Quote:
The man who authorities believe killed five people in a shooting spree across the Denver metro Monday wrote about killing two of the victims in a series of novels he self-published in the four years leading up to the attacks.

In the second novel, McLeod describes an attack on a tattoo parlor in the 200 block of W. 6th Avenue. The character named “Lyndon MacLeod” bursts into the tattoo shop and kills several people, including the owner of the shop. In reality, police said, McLeod went to that block on Monday, fired shots and set a van on fire, but did not kill anyone.

McLeod named both Alicia Cardenas and Michael Swinyard as murder victims in his novels. Cardenas, 44, and Swinyard, 67, were both killed in Monday’s shooting spree.
https://www.denverpost.com/2021/12/2...victims-books/

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th December 2021 at 06:01 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2021, 08:55 PM   #3308
angrysoba
Philosophile

The novels that so many of these freaks were gushing over are little more than a self-insert fantasy of a mass shooter peppered with extreme misogyny and other toxic ideologies. Literally wrote about a protagonist with his name murdering characters of the same name and location of his eventual victims.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/12/2...victims-books/
What?!?! Seriously??

He named the people he killed in his novels as well? Holy crap!

I knew he named himself as a misogynistic murderer which surely even for Zuby should have been a red flag?

Old 31st December 2021, 09:40 PM   #3309
Bogative
Master Poster

A New Year's Eve roundup:

Denver, Colorado

6 killed, 2 wounded.

White dude went on a rampage.

Kirksville, Missouri

2 killed (including an 18-month-old), 2 wounded.

Black dude on the trigger. Police said he knew the victims.

Los Angeles, California

5 wounded.

2 black guys wanted for the shooting outside of a grocery store.

6 wounded.

A little pre-New Year's Eve fun with some of the fellas on a busy street.
Quote:
Video shows six gunmen exiting a white work-type van and began shooting at the group on the corner. Several members of the group returned fire at the suspects.
No suspect description given, no suspect description needed.

4 mass shootings.

15 wounded.

8 killed.

0 Racially or Ethnically Motivated Violent Extremist – White Supremacists or right-wing terrorists on the trigger.

691 mass shootings so far this year.

Last edited by Bogative; 31st December 2021 at 09:45 PM.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2022, 03:36 PM   #3310
Bogative
Master Poster

Let's wrap up 2021:

Gulfport, Mississippi

3 killed, 4 wounded.

Argument at a New Year's Eve party turned into a gunfight.

One last example of the"FTP/snitches get stitches" culture to close out the year.
Quote:
“There are those who know what happened and are not coming forward,” he said. “I encourage you, if you saw anything, take a stand and contact your police department so we can have justice for our victims,” he said. “My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.”

When police arrived, many witnesses were trying to flee to scene as quickly as possible.

“And I understand their mentality,” Ryle said. “They don’t want to be seen as snitches talking to the police in public. But we have a phone line they are more than welcome to call ... and give us that information."

• 2014 – 272 mass shootings.
  • 2015 – 334 mass shootings.
  • 2016 – 382 mass shootings.
  • 2017 – 348 mass shootings.
  • 2018 – 336 mass shootings.
  • 2019 – 417 mass shootings.
  • 2020 – 611 mass shootings.
  • 2021 – 692 mass shootings.

Only one possible right-wing terrorism/MAGAr/Racially or Ethnically Motivated Violent Extremist- White Supremacist mass shooting that I'm aware of.

I don't expect the DOJ/FBI/DHS or any of the left-wing media to apologize for being so incredibly wrong and transparent in their attempts to keep the public fearful, angry and divided.

2022 is off to a good start with 6 reported mass shootings already.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events