IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th July 2021, 11:43 PM   #1201
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

wrong thread sorry!

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044

Last edited by cullennz; 15th July 2021 at 11:57 PM.
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2021, 07:19 PM   #1202
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

This could have a beneficial impact...

From: Driving Electric (although I have seen similar reports on other sources)
Tesla CEO Elon Musk has indicated on Twitter that the company's extensive Supercharger rapid-charging network will be opened to electric cars from other brands before the end of 2021 – albeit not all at once around the world. As is customary with initial announcements on Twitter by Musk, details are thin on the ground for now.

If it actually happens, it could be a benefit for almost everyone:
- Tesla could possibly earn extra income from providing charge to other cars
- Car owners will have more charging options (and thus you will have fewer 'gaps' in service where they can recharge
- The need of governments to subsidize the construction of charging stations (as a way to encourage electric vehicle adoption) gets reduced

The only ones who might end up suffering are Tesla owners, who might find themselves stuck behind non-Tesla cars at the charging stations when things are busy. Maybe Tesla will find some way to give priority to Teslas... perhaps having some units at a charging location be for Teslas only, and the others for any type of vehicle. Or maybe limit charging times for non-Tesla vehicles. (e.g. if you're not a Tesla, you can only charge for 10 minutes at a time.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2021, 08:26 PM   #1203
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has indicated on Twitter that the company's extensive Supercharger rapid-charging network will be opened to electric cars from other brands before the end of 2021 Ė albeit not all at once around the world. As is customary with initial announcements on Twitter by Musk, details are thin on the ground for now.

If it actually happens, it could be a benefit for almost everyone:
- Tesla could possibly earn extra income from providing charge to other cars
- Car owners will have more charging options (and thus you will have fewer 'gaps' in service where they can recharge
- The need of governments to subsidize the construction of charging stations (as a way to encourage electric vehicle adoption) gets reduced

The only ones who might end up suffering are Tesla owners, who might find themselves stuck behind non-Tesla cars at the charging stations when things are busy. Maybe Tesla will find some way to give priority to Teslas... perhaps having some units at a charging location be for Teslas only, and the others for any type of vehicle. Or maybe limit charging times for non-Tesla vehicles. (e.g. if you're not a Tesla, you can only charge for 10 minutes at a time.

This will likely start in Europe first, since EV's pretty much all use the same connector standard there. CCS I believe.

A little trickier in North America where Tesla uses its own connector type. I can't see the adapter being cheap, and then there's the charging the non-Tesla cars. Tesla Superchargers 'read' the car, and then it chargers the owner. I suspect that one would register the adapter, and when it's used, that's how Tesla charge the user.

As a Tesla owner, I'm mixed. I bought a Tesla because of the supercharger network. At the same time, while I can see longer wait times for the charge network, incoming funds will allow Tesla to open more Superchargers, and will encourage EV expansion.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 01:59 AM   #1204
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Probably more about tesla tapping into government funding and/or avoiding anti-monopoly actions....

On the latter point, I heard rumblings of UK action over motorway charging yesterday. I will do a bit of research and report back
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 02:05 AM   #1205
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
This will likely start in Europe first, since EV's pretty much all use the same connector standard there. CCS I believe.

A little trickier in North America where Tesla uses its own connector type. I can't see the adapter being cheap, and then there's the charging the non-Tesla cars. Tesla Superchargers 'read' the car, and then it chargers the owner. I suspect that one would register the adapter, and when it's used, that's how Tesla charge the user.

As a Tesla owner, I'm mixed. I bought a Tesla because of the supercharger network. At the same time, while I can see longer wait times for the charge network, incoming funds will allow Tesla to open more Superchargers, and will encourage EV expansion.
On this subject it might be advantageous to use 'bill' & 'billing' for clarity?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 04:58 AM   #1206
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

The UK’s competition watchdog will launch an investigation into an exclusive deal between Electric Highway and three major service stations that threatens to restrict competition around important contracts to build electric vehicle motorway charge points.
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2021, 11:47 PM   #1207
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

I think WE knew this already, but

EV's more eco-friendly than ICE cars in all circumstances

One thing that has been reconsidered - just how green battery manufacture actually is
Old 27th July 2021, 05:51 PM   #1208
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has indicated on Twitter that the company's extensive Supercharger rapid-charging network will be opened to electric cars from other brands...
Some more information has been given about how Tesla plans to open up their charging network.

During the second-quarter earnings call, Tesla's CEO Elon Musk answered a question about the upcoming opening of the Supercharging network to other EVs. The technical solution to implement the access will be fairly simple, based on an app. Once a user will register and assign a credit card, he/she will be able to indicate the stall...accept the price, and unlock the power for a non-Tesla electric vehicle...non-Tesla EVs will have to either buy an adapter or use an adapter available at the station. Both options were mentioned
The second most important thing hinted at by Elon Musk is the pricing for non-Tesla EVs. It will reflect the utilization of the station, as well as the power output.

Makes sense... charge more for non-Teslas to use stations when they are busiest, plus because they will be charging at a slower speed. It gives non-Tesla vehicles access when absolutely necessary, but might keep them from clogging things up if they don't NEED the extra power.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 01:05 PM   #1209
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

August 12th is the scheduled delivery date for my Tesla Model 3.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 01:09 PM   #1210
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Congratulations. Enjoy!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2021, 08:45 PM   #1211
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Correction: I meant August 19th.

August 19th is the scheduled delivery date for my Tesla Model 3.

I accidentally put the wrong Thursday in that previous post.

Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2021, 01:16 PM   #1212
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Found a deal on a big battery id3, sorely tempted
Old 16th August 2021, 10:01 AM   #1213
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

Washington State charges fees to register any electric vehicle that can move at 30 mph or more. Hybrids are excluded. Up to $225/year per RCW 46.17.323 and RCW 47.17.324 to fund infrastructure for a charging network and other things. It might not seem to be a lot after buying a Telsa or other expensive car, but even the owners of cheaper electric bikes are on the hook for this fee.

For example I drive my bike about 5000 miles a year, using about 100 gallons of gas. With gas taxed at 49 cents per gallon, I'm paying $49 a year to pay my part of keeping the roads paid for. I've never seen an electric bike at a charger out in town, just cars. I think just about everyone charges their bikes at home using 120 or 240 volt AC.

If charging costs me about 1 cent per mile, then tacking on $225 over my hypothetical cost of $50 each year for charging is a real downer. My state Representatives and Senator are unwilling to explain why there is this kind of "punitive measure" in place.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 10:49 AM   #1214
jadebox
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
My state Representatives and Senator are unwilling to explain why there is this kind of "punitive measure" in place.
Meanwhile, the federal government and others offer credits and rebates for buying an EV. It does seem like sort of a mixed message.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 10:57 AM   #1215
TomB
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Washington State charges fees to register any electric vehicle that can move at 30 mph or more. Hybrids are excluded. Up to $225/year per RCW 46.17.323 and RCW 47.17.324 to fund infrastructure for a charging network and other things. It might not seem to be a lot after buying a Telsa or other expensive car, but even the owners of cheaper electric bikes are on the hook for this fee.

For example I drive my bike about 5000 miles a year, using about 100 gallons of gas. With gas taxed at 49 cents per gallon, I'm paying $49 a year to pay my part of keeping the roads paid for. I've never seen an electric bike at a charger out in town, just cars. I think just about everyone charges their bikes at home using 120 or 240 volt AC.

If charging costs me about 1 cent per mile, then tacking on $225 over my hypothetical cost of $50 each year for charging is a real downer. My state Representatives and Senator are unwilling to explain why there is this kind of "punitive measure" in place.
In Illinois, there are two revenue sources, I believe, earmarked for road maintenance: the $.39/gallon gas tax and the $151.00/year registration fee.

If you donít use gasoline, you donít contribute your share of the road maintenance funds. So your increased registration fee is probably meant to make up for that. Itís probably based on an average amount of miles (10,000) and mpg. Obviously, itís not a good fit for your bike.

If they donít make up for the gas tax somewhere, the road budget will be inadequate. Ive seen some ideas where they check your odometer every year and charge a tax based on that. Basically, they havenít figured it out yet, but itís not meant to be punitive.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2021, 12:54 PM   #1216
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

In the UK the "annual fee" is tied to pollution, so BEV's are zero rated
Old 19th August 2021, 01:25 PM   #1217
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Meet Grace Hopper:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210819_143943.jpg (87.0 KB, 17 views)

Old 19th August 2021, 02:39 PM   #1218
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
Meet Grace Hopper:
May your days together be long and happy!
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2021, 04:40 PM   #1219
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
May your days together be long and happy!
Probably will be. Did I mention I have been using my previous car for 20 years?

Old 19th August 2021, 05:04 PM   #1220
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Meet Grace Hopper:
The Model Y is an Awesome car!

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 03:33 PM   #1221
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Grey shopper?
Old 23rd August 2021, 10:35 AM   #1222
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Chevy Bolt's are a billion plus dollar problem for GM...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertb...h=3358ba5f14bc
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:34 AM   #1223
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

Then again, Volkswagen and Toyota would have given their eye teeth for "only" a $1.8bn recall
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 01:20 PM   #1224
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Probably will be. Did I mention I have been using my previous car for 20 years?
I like you naming it after Admiral Hopper.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 01:21 PM   #1225
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post

Only a matter to time before the electrc call industry produced it's version of the Edsel.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 02:33 PM   #1226
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Data point on battery degradation…

It’s a fact of life that your EV or PHEV will never quite have the battery capacity going forward as it did on the day of delivery.

In my case, it was recommended that I insist the dealer check the traction battery’s Ah when I took delivery, since some Clarity’s sat on dealer lots near totally discharged for some time, as the dealers tended to be clueless. Checking it was part of the Pre-Delivery Inspection, but almost universally ignored. Anyway, mine came back at 55 Ah, which was well within spec.

Over on a Clarity sub-forum, it was outlined how to do your own test with an under $30 OBD2 scanner and an inexpensive app.

I got mine today, and after almost 3 years and over 56,000 miles my battery has degraded down to 46.62 Ah. Seems consistent with the drop of 5 to 6 miles of EV range I seem to be seeing, from summer EV range of 46-50 to now hovering between 42 and 44. And in the ball park of what others are seeing. Still enough for most of our local drives, and remember - exceed that range and the Clarity just morphs into a 42 mpg hybrid. Probably just check it annually going forward and hope the degradation doesn’t appreciably accelerate.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 23rd August 2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 23rd August 2021, 07:31 PM   #1227
Kestrel
Philosopher

Took a road trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon last week. One of the few tourist destinations in the continental US that is impractical for an EV. The nearest charging stations are 125 miles away in Page, Arizona. The round trip plus a scenic drive along the rim would have been beyond the range of our Tesla.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:58 PM   #1228
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I'm torn. I have a Jeep Patriot that I want to get rid of. I'm thinking of getting the Ford Maverick now, a full hybrid 37MPG combined short bed, four door pick-up or waiting another year and getting the Ford Ranger plug-in hybrid four-door pick-up. I could save a lot on gas if I get the Maverick now, or save even more with the plug-in hybrid a little less than a year from now. I could commute both ways with the plug in and never use the gas engine on the Ranger. I looked at the F-150 Lightning but I'm not interested in paying $50,000 for a truck right now.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 06:22 AM   #1229
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Old skool motoring journalist (and officially the worst dancer ever to appear on strictly), Quentin Willson opines on the Tesla 3's ability as a cross-Europe cruiser.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 04:56 PM   #1230
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So, right now, I'm planning to get the Maverick, the full hybrid small truck. I've seen enough in the auto press to make me think there is some doubt as to the plug-in hybrid Ranger coming out in a year. I'm going to go with 37 combined MPG now as opposed to waiting for no MPG at a future date. I may go with a lease so I can trade up at the end but I'm still thinking about it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2021, 01:43 PM   #1231
Galaxie
Muse

How long until you can actually get a Maverick? My local dealers are getting very few new vehicles in lately.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2021, 04:46 PM   #1232
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
How long until you can actually get a Maverick? My local dealers are getting very few new vehicles in lately.
From what the dealer said, around the beginning of November.
Old 26th August 2021, 04:53 PM   #1233
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
So, right now, I'm planning to get the Maverick, the full hybrid small truck. I've seen enough in the auto press to make me think there is some doubt as to the plug-in hybrid Ranger coming out in a year. I'm going to go with 37 combined MPG now as opposed to waiting for no MPG at a future date. I may go with a lease so I can trade up at the end but I'm still thinking about it.
IMHO FOrd was smart from a marketing point of view with sticking to the name of a very sucessful line of 4 by 4 trucks rather then create a fancy new name .

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th August 2021, 03:59 PM   #1234
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
The Model Y is an Awesome car!
It's a Model 3, though.

But, still an awesome car.

Old 14th September 2021, 08:19 PM   #1235
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

One of my favorite, little features of the Tesla Model 3, that doesn't get much publicity, is the fact that I can set the side view mirrors to automatically fold in whenever the car approaches my garage, for an easier fit. And, they automatically unfold when I drive a short distance away from the garage.

Old 15th September 2021, 01:28 AM   #1236
malbui
Beauf

One of my favorite, little features of the Tesla Model 3, that doesn't get much publicity, is the fact that I can set the side view mirrors to automatically fold in whenever the car approaches my garage, for an easier fit. And, they automatically unfold when I drive a short distance away from the garage.
Yeah, that is really sweet. My mirrors stay out when I'm on my way into the garage at work but fold in as I approach my space. So subtle that I don't even notice anymore.
Old 15th September 2021, 02:34 AM   #1237
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
Yeah, that is really sweet. My mirrors stay out when I'm on my way into the garage at work but fold in as I approach my space. So subtle that I don't even notice anymore.
Do they unfold when you start to reverse out and need to see behind?
Old 15th September 2021, 02:58 AM   #1238
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Do they unfold when you start to reverse out and need to see behind?
You use mirrors to look behind when you are reversing? How quaint!

I only have a Leaf and it has a reversing camera + drones eye 360 view around the car when you are reversing.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 03:10 AM   #1239
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
You use mirrors to look behind when you are reversing? How quaint!

I only have a Leaf and it has a reversing camera + drones eye 360 view around the car when you are reversing.
You mean you have to rely on vision?
What is this, the middle ages?
Parking RADAR with a projected overlay of distances to vehicles and objects, with audible alert.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 03:34 AM   #1240
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
You mean you have to rely on vision?
What is this, the middle ages?
Parking RADAR with a projected overlay of distances to vehicles and objects, with audible alert.
Leaf has that too, I just didn't want to overload GlennB with the 21st C
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events