IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th September 2021, 05:31 AM   #1241
jadebox
Master Poster

I can tell my car to fold in the mirrors or set it to so it folds them every time that it is locked. But, I only fold them in when parked next to a Tesla. :-)

My car has lots of features that I don't think I would have intentionally paid extra for, but like. Being able to unlock the car, get in, and start driving without removing the key from my pocket is one. I have gotten so used to it that I have almost hurt myself tugging on the door handle of our SUV when I have forgotten to unlock it first.

Features like that aren't unique to EVs, but at least for now, EVs tend to have those kind of new features.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 11:33 AM   #1242
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Do they unfold when you start to reverse out and need to see behind?
They unfold when you are a certain number of feet away from the garage. I don't need the side mirrors when I am backing out.

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 01:40 PM   #1243
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
One of my favorite, little features of the Tesla Model 3, that doesn't get much publicity, is the fact that I can set the side view mirrors to automatically fold in whenever the car approaches my garage, for an easier fit. And, they automatically unfold when I drive a short distance away from the garage.
That's a smooth ballet of technology for sure!

The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 09:00 AM   #1244
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
You mean you have to rely on vision?
What is this, the middle ages?
Parking RADAR with a projected overlay of distances to vehicles and objects, with audible alert.
Directly observing the instruments? That's nicely retro. Onboard AI maneuvering past obstacles once departure is requested.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 01:02 PM   #1245
The Common Potato
Critical Thinker

Sorry for the cross-post: Clive Sinclair dies. Electric vehicles have come on a bit since his C5.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 02:36 PM   #1246
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

One of my favorite, little features of the Tesla Model 3, that doesn't get much publicity, is the fact that I can set the side view mirrors to automatically fold in whenever the car approaches my garage, for an easier fit. And, they automatically unfold when I drive a short distance away from the garage.

My Nissan has a similar feature. The side view mirror automatically breaks off when I reverse out of my driveway too close to either of the gateway posts.
Old 16th September 2021, 04:17 PM   #1247
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
My Nissan has a similar feature. The side view mirror automatically breaks off when I reverse out of my driveway too close to either of the gateway posts.

It's probably cheaper that way depending on how many mirrors you break.
Old 17th September 2021, 07:05 PM   #1248
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

I think the only little thing I don't like about the car is that the rear window is smaller than my previous one. It feels like am seeing a lot less of what is behind my car. I suppose it's adequate for safety. But, I am quite used to the rather large rear window of my old Chevy Prizm.

Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 10:05 PM   #1249
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

That was one reason why I went from a car to a (light) truck: not just a higher position but less of that tunnel effect from giant pillars between tiny windows.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 05:45 AM   #1250
Kestrel
Philosopher

I think the only little thing I don't like about the car is that the rear window is smaller than my previous one. It feels like am seeing a lot less of what is behind my car. I suppose it's adequate for safety. But, I am quite used to the rather large rear window of my old Chevy Prizm.
The rear camera view on a Model 3 is better than looking out the rear window.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 06:17 AM   #1251
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

And now an EV from a new start up company Lucid Air has beat Tesla by travelling over 500 miles on a single charge. (520 in fact.) Rather than juat using a bigger battery pack, Lucid had better areodynamics and better motor efficiency.

https://thedriven.io/2021/09/17/luci...reaking-range/

Ironically, Lucid Air is backed by Saudi interests. (So i guess some recognize that they need to deal with a post-oil world.)
I do wonder if any of these small start-up EV companies will succeed. Or will they be bought up by one of the big automakers, or just fail outright.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2021, 02:53 PM   #1252
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
The rear camera view on a Model 3 is better than looking out the rear window.
Yeah, but I only tend to use that when backing up.

Old 23rd September 2021, 07:22 AM   #1253
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

90% of new cars for private use sold in Norway in August were electric.

If we include cars for businesses, it was 72% electric.

And I have ordered a Tesla Model Y..
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 07:24 AM   #1254
Ryokan

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
And now an EV from a new start up company Lucid Air has beat Tesla by travelling over 500 miles on a single charge. (520 in fact.) Rather than juat using a bigger battery pack, Lucid had better areodynamics and better motor efficiency.

https://thedriven.io/2021/09/17/luci...reaking-range/

Ironically, Lucid Air is backed by Saudi interests. (So i guess some recognize that they need to deal with a post-oil world.)
I do wonder if any of these small start-up EV companies will succeed. Or will they be bought up by one of the big automakers, or just fail outright.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
News about Tesla Killers have been reported since the first Tesla hit the pavement. So far none of them has delivered.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 08:26 AM   #1255
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
News about Tesla Killers have been reported since the first Tesla hit the pavement. So far none of them has delivered.
When my wife and I bought our model Y, we had two requirements: Range and charging.

Teslas have the range we wanted (300 miles) and Only Tesla has the Supercharge network. We'll see what happens when the Superchargers open up to other auto makers, but Tesla has a strong advantage.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 01:38 PM   #1256
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
And now an EV from a new start up company Lucid Air has beat Tesla by travelling over 500 miles on a single charge. (520 in fact.)
Technically it wouldn't have to be a "tesla killer" to succeed. It would be possible for both Tesla and other "new" EV manufacturers to both produce successful lines of cars, but serving different niches, price points, etc.

It should also be pointed out that the claim of >500 miles on a charge wasn't some unsupported claim or future plan... the figures are actually posted on the U.S. government's website. So its technology DOES seem to be better than Tesla's (at least as far as vehicle range goes). Even if a company like Lucid Air does end up failing (or getting bought out), there is a chance its technology will be incorporated into other vehicles.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 04:35 AM   #1257
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

90% of new cars for private use sold in Norway in August were electric.

If we include cars for businesses, it was 72% electric.

And I have ordered a Tesla Model Y..
The price of gasoline (or petrol) is quite high there, isn't it? Heavily taxed.

So, no wonder. I imagine it's cheaper if you are just thinking about saving money. Yes? Or is everyone there an environmentalist?
Old 24th September 2021, 04:51 AM   #1258
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

So, no wonder. I imagine it's cheaper if you are just thinking about saving money. Yes? Or is everyone there an environmentalist?
Well the price of everything is kinda high there, but I suspect it has less to do with fuel prices and more to do with the shorter distances people routinely drive and perhaps the cost threshold of going electric is lower in a higher income/higher tax country.

And maybe a memory of all the acid rain we in the UK sent them in decades past from our coal fired power stations has made Norwegians more environmentally aware.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 05:12 AM   #1259
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

We're on hols. I hoped to chat the Leaf before parking at the airport, but things weren't straightforward, and I couldn't. I have ten miles of range and a hundred and thirty miles to go upon our return to the UK. Might make it
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 06:54 AM   #1260
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

When I visited Norway a few years ago, there were already a fair number of electric cars about. I was told that because of the large hydro resources, electricity is plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 12:00 PM   #1261
Garrison
Philosopher

In my local shopping centre there used to be a handful of electric charging points and the only cars in them were there because they couldn't park anywhere else. Walking around there last week not only has the number of charging points multiplied by at least fivefold but almost every car using the bays is plugged in. EVs are quietly gaining ground.
Old 24th September 2021, 12:23 PM   #1262
8enotto
Master Poster

In developing countries a hybrid with golf cart technology ( as opposed to Tesla tech) that meets safety standards would be ideal. 12v lead acid batteries and a gas generator using a small engine that would be common and easy to maintain.

The power grid in Mexico isn't exactly stone age tech but certainly wouldn't hold up to a change of installing enough charging stations to even a third of car driving folks going electric.
Yet.

I would certainly be interested in an electric hybrid that held a week or two worth of gas for the everyday commute needs. Comfortable enough for road trips once in a while, not like the little tiny ones we see now.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 07:15 PM   #1263
Ryokan

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post

The government has promoted the sale of electric cars. There's no sales tax (25%) on electric cars, and they pay less road tax.

There used to be more advantages, like free parking and road tolls, but as the number of electric cars has increased those advantages have been scaled back.

Although many fossil cars still use gasoline, the majority of fossil cars in Norway run on diesel. Diesel is a little cheaper than gasoline, but the prices on both are high and increasing.

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Well the price of everything is kinda high there, but I suspect it has less to do with fuel prices and more to do with the shorter distances people routinely drive and perhaps the cost threshold of going electric is lower in a higher income/higher tax country.
Shorter distances? Norway is a big country, with a small population spread all over. And there's mountains and fjords all over, making driving distances longer than they appear. Although the sale of electric cars has been high for a while now, the real revolutions just started recently with cars getting long enough range to be usable outside the cities.

Another factor, of course, is higher end and long range electric cars are now hitting the used cars market. You no longer have to buy a brand new car to get long range.

Last edited by Ryokan; 24th September 2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 28th October 2021, 02:23 PM   #1264
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Took a vw id3 for a test drive a couple of weeks ago. Sprightly, but felt basic. Buttons on the steering wheel had haptic feedback, making them feel like they been loosely stuck on. Touchscreen controls odd too. No one pedal driving.

Drives in a Tesla model 3 and a Fiat 500e tomorrow. Trying to book a drive in a Kia ev6 for next Friday. All have one pedal driving.
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 02:27 PM   #1265
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

And rumours* that Hertz have ordered 100,000 model 3s. The tipping point is coming

*will try to confirm tomorrow
Old 28th October 2021, 02:52 PM   #1266
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
And rumours* that Hertz have ordered 100,000 model 3s. The tipping point is coming

*will try to confirm tomorrow
That is the case.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...arket-shake-up
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 04:00 PM   #1267
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Slightly off-topic, but I've subscribed to Aviation Week ever since I started at Boeing. Every issue lately has at least five or six articles about electric aircraft. None have made it to the market yet. Most will fail.
But during my time in the Product Development organization, in the Advanced Concepts group, I probably became known as something of a Luddite. One of the concepts of which I was skeptical was electric airplanes. But a lot of people are putting a lot of money into them.
Also, I live in -- ok, a little outside of -- Port Townsend, WA. Which I refer to as Priusville. I see at least half a dozen pure electric cars every time I go to town. And the only public chargers I'm aware of are at the Food Co-op, because of course they are.
Old 28th October 2021, 09:58 PM   #1268
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Thanks. I should have been more curious about the reason behind Musk's "record rise in wealth" the other day
Old 29th October 2021, 01:23 AM   #1269
wobs
Master Poster

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
When I visited Norway a few years ago, there were already a fair number of electric cars about. I was told that because of the large hydro resources, electricity is plentiful and relatively inexpensive.
I went to Norway about 13 years ago, and saw charging points at the airport. (For cars not planes!)
Old 29th October 2021, 02:12 AM   #1270
wobs
Master Poster

Oh, and you can set the Tesla to make farting noises when its indicating. The future is now!
Old 29th October 2021, 02:24 AM   #1271
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

I am not sure whether I will have time to sort that out on the test drive
Old 1st November 2021, 11:31 PM   #1272
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Test drives -
Fiat 500e La Prima - nice car, but I hit a lot of traffic at the start of the test drive, and the e-pedal/one pedal driving was really jarring* as the car stopped and started. They clearly haven't spent long enough blending regen and conventional braking. Performance was fine once the traffic cleared and for slowing down at junctions the e-pedal worked well.

I'm 6'3" and "solid," but the cabin didn't feel cramped. My feet were though, there wasn't enough room for my left foot to sit alongside the pedals safely. My main requirement in a new car is to go further, comfortably, than the Nissan Leaf. And there's complaints on the web about the software. It's off the list.

Tesla Model 3 AWD long range (actually it was the Performance, but dialled back) - I came away scheming on how I can afford to buy it. The conclusion was "not yet," and that's made me feel a little bit sad. A lovely car to drive, and drive in. I had a look for "panel gaps," which have been a reported problem, and there weren't any. E-pedal works well. Do want, as the kids used to say.

*I told the salesman and he asked, "is 'jarring' good or bad?"
Old 1st November 2021, 11:37 PM   #1273
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Cheaper Chinese cars starting to arrive in the UK next year

A video review said the £25k does not include the UK grant
Old 2nd November 2021, 03:00 AM   #1274
Lplus
Muse

Test drives -
Fiat 500e La Prima - nice car, but I hit a lot of traffic at the start of the test drive, and the e-pedal/one pedal driving was really jarring* as the car stopped and started. They clearly haven't spent long enough blending regen and conventional braking. Performance was fine once the traffic cleared and for slowing down at junctions the e-pedal worked well.

I'm 6'3" and "solid," but the cabin didn't feel cramped. My feet were though, there wasn't enough room for my left foot to sit alongside the pedals safely. My main requirement in a new car is to go further, comfortably, than the Nissan Leaf. And there's complaints on the web about the software. It's off the list.

Tesla Model 3 AWD long range (actually it was the Performance, but dialled back) - I came away scheming on how I can afford to buy it. The conclusion was "not yet," and that's made me feel a little bit sad. A lovely car to drive, and drive in. I had a look for "panel gaps," which have been a reported problem, and there weren't any. E-pedal works well. Do want, as the kids used to say.

Who needs a left foot for one pedal driving?

(One-pedal driving - for those who never got over being too big for their toy electric jeep.)

Cheaper Chinese cars starting to arrive in the UK next year

A video review said the £25k does not include the UK grant
Not yet crash tested, but will probably be ok. Fairly nippy but not that quick off the line, I wonder how much the premium will be for the bigger battery.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 04:10 AM   #1275
malbui
Beauf

Test drives -

Iíve had a TM3 AWD LR since March 2019 and I still grin every single time I set off in it. Which isnít often as both Mme and Mlle Malbui have overcome their initial reservations and always find an excuse to take it out.

No mechanical, bodywork or electronic issues to report yet.
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:10 AM   #1276
Kestrel
Philosopher

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
Iíve had a TM3 AWD LR since March 2019 and I still grin every single time I set off in it. Which isnít often as both Mme and Mlle Malbui have overcome their initial reservations and always find an excuse to take it out.

No mechanical, bodywork or electronic issues to report yet.
Had a Tesla Model 3 AWD LR since June 2019. Only one issue so far. The FM radio quit working and was replaced at no charge by Tesla mobile service. The only maintenance has been rotating the tires and getting a slow leak caused by a nail fixed.
Kestrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 09:45 AM   #1277
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Oh, and you can set the Tesla to make farting noises when its indicating. The future is now!
Fart noises from the seats are great as well.

Signed: Malbui, aged 6 and a half.
Old 3rd November 2021, 09:38 AM   #1278
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Subaru has an electric vehicle scheduled to come out in 2022. I'll be very interested to see the details on that one.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2021, 11:39 AM   #1279
lobosrul5
Master Poster

I'm targeting 2025 or 26 as a target date for a new car. Just need to see a few more charging stations in northern NM and southern CO to go electric.

This would hit the sweet spot: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/tesla...range-and-more

I think I could go without an SUV if I can get a hatchback. Room for 2 medium sized dogs is what I gotta have.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2021, 12:01 PM   #1280
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
I'm targeting 2025 or 26 as a target date for a new car. Just need to see a few more charging stations in northern NM and southern CO to go electric.

This would hit the sweet spot: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/tesla...range-and-more

I think I could go without an SUV if I can get a hatchback. Room for 2 medium sized dogs is what I gotta have.
I just hit 100,000 miles on my Corolla, and I'm hoping it'll last another 10 years or so. I'm very hopeful my next car will be electric.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events