IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st November 2021, 08:38 AM   #1
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The COP26 climate talks in Glasgow

Summary from BBC News:

Quote:
Opening the COP26 summit, Boris Johnson says that the children who will judge leaders for failing to act "are not yet born"

The UK leader says he wants countries to end the use of coal, phase out petrol-powered cars, and reverse deforestation

Following him, David Attenborough says the future of young people should provide impetus to "turn tragedy into triumph"

More than 120 leaders are in Glasgow - and they will later outline their climate commitments

Major polluters including China, India, Australia and Brazil are in the spotlight

The goal is to keep warming limited to 1.5C, or at worst 2C, by 2100 but we are on track for 2.7C - which the UN says would result in "climate catastrophe"
Watching this, Boris Johnson's speech sounded disjointed and a little unconvincing. Prince Charles' was surprisingly good, none of his usual stuttering and bluster but head and shoulders better than Johnson's.

David Attenborough: absolutely brilliant - no empty rhetoric there. Really put his point across.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 08:42 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I could have sworn there was already a worldwide children's crusade judging leaders for failing to act. They have their own Nicholas of Cologne and everything.
Old 1st November 2021, 09:10 AM   #3
Olmstead
Muse

I wish they'd stop talking about climate horrors and patting themselves on the back for what they're gonna do and actually DO SOMETHING!
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 09:11 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Too little too late, hopefully I'll be dead before having to pay for my inaction.
Old 1st November 2021, 09:21 AM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The COP26 climate talks in Glasgow

The COP26 climate talks in Glasgow:

"We haven't met any of the targets we set at all of the previous meetings."

"Then let's set new targets!"

"Yes, that will solve the problem!"

"And don't forget to write the obligatory sternly worded letter!"

-----------------------------

The COP50 climate talks in the undersea city of New Atlantis:

"We haven't met any of the targets we set at all of the previous meetings."

"Then let's set new targets!"

"Yes, that will solve the problem!"

"And don't forget to write the obligatory sternly worded letter!"

"Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom from choice is what you want." -- Devo
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 09:50 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Too little too late, hopefully I'll be dead before having to pay for my inaction.
-The global power elite, probably
Old 1st November 2021, 10:34 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And what is COPS 26?

I can find no other references to it outside some links to law enforcement and related sites.
Old 1st November 2021, 10:49 AM   #8
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You forget another goal - to get good headlines back at home.

For the irony prize, our PM is flying back from the summit, from Glasgow to London, yes there are trains. As ever the goals are not meant to affect him and his ilk.
Old 1st November 2021, 11:01 AM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You forget another goal - to get good headlines back at home.

For the irony prize, our PM is flying back from the summit, from Glasgow to London, yes there are trains. As ever the goals are not meant to affect him and his ilk.
Honestly I would argue that reserving air travel for heads of state and world leaders on business is a reasonable exception. It's not a few hundred people traveling by plane to do critical work that's the problem. It's the millions of people indulging in commodity air travel, all day every day, year after year.
Old 1st November 2021, 11:14 AM   #10
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

There are news stories of delegates arriving, with no accommodation. Apparently the Indian PM & delegation have taken over our local hotel. Even though we are nowhere near the Conference Centre, we have seen loads more police, especially police bikers on the roads.

I have not been to Glasgow for a couple of years, so this is an excuse to continue not going. Nothing against the place, but there always seems to be something closing down parts of the city, as recently it has been used as a location for various films, usually pretending to be somewhere in the US.
Old 1st November 2021, 12:27 PM   #11
Planigale
Philosopher

To be provocative.

Should Margaret Thatcher have been taken more seriously forty years ago? Should she be celebrated for moving the UK away from coal for energy generation ahead of other developed countries?

To be serious; does this demonstrate the social disruption required to shift to a low carbon economy?
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 12:46 PM   #12
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Planigale View Post
To be provocative.

Should Margaret Thatcher have been taken more seriously forty years ago? Should she be celebrated for moving the UK away from coal for energy generation ahead of other developed countries?

To be serious; does this demonstrate the social disruption required to shift to a low carbon economy?
No, because she was closing pits not for environmental reasons and at the same time oil and gas production was being promoted and expanded.
Old 1st November 2021, 12:51 PM   #13
Olmstead
Muse

Saving the world would be political suicide, so no one's going to do it.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 12:54 PM   #14
Lennart Hyland
Muse

Attenboroughs speech was touching.

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 01:49 PM   #15
shemp

Originally Posted by Lennart Hyland View Post
Attenboroughs speech was touching.
Maybe a copy of it will survive to be found by the alien archeologists who come to earth thousands of years from now. "Yep, they did themselves in, just like almost every other civilization we've seen."

"Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom from choice is what you want." -- Devo
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 02:50 PM   #16
Her Dark Star
Scholar

And what is COPS 26?

I can find no other references to it outside some links to law enforcement and related sites.
https://ukcop26.org/ has a what is it explanation. It's weirdly named, but basically it's an international climate conference. This is the 26th such conference.
As far as I can tell it's a nice idea, but has so far failed to deliver anything meaningful.
Old 1st November 2021, 02:56 PM   #17
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Her Dark Star View Post
https://ukcop26.org/ has a what is it explanation. It's weirdly named, but basically it's an international climate conference. This is the 26th such conference.
As far as I can tell it's a nice idea, but has so far failed to deliver anything meaningful.
It's delivered celebrity for Greta Thunberg. Some would say that's very meaningful.
Old 1st November 2021, 03:42 PM   #18
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Conference Of Parties, 26th meeting.

The o/p title is just a big ol' typo.
Old 1st November 2021, 03:46 PM   #19
GlennB

And Boris Johnson made a fool of himself with his opening speech, but probably doesn't care very much. Then he left in a private plane.

India has pledged to be carbon neutral by 2070, so that's OK then

The leaders of China, Russia, Brazil and Turkey conspicuous by their absence. The whole ******** is a total waste of time, without even a 'feel good factor' to fall back on.

Last edited by GlennB; 1st November 2021 at 03:48 PM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 03:52 PM   #20
angrysoba
Philosophile

At COPS 26...

Bad Boys, Bad Boys, Whatchagonnado?

Whatchagonnado now the Earth is screwed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bad Boys.jpg (65.2 KB, 2 views)
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 03:53 PM   #21
Planigale
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
No, because she was closing pits not for environmental reasons and at the same time oil and gas production was being promoted and expanded.
Not sure which question you are responding to. But whatever her intentions, the shift from coal to gas was important in reducing carbon emissions. But also showed how disruptive the economic changes necessary may be.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2021, 04:11 PM   #22
shemp

At 63, that's my position too. I'll probably be dead before the climate **** really hits the fan. However, I'm not sure if I'll miss U.S. Civil War II.

Old 2nd November 2021, 01:42 AM   #23
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Same here, and because Mrs Don and I don't have children either, we really don't have a dog in this fight so to speak.

Nevertheless, it's depressing to see the lack of action and urgency from world leaders. I suppose it makes sense, why take currently unpopular steps and damage your re-election prospects when it'll be decades before the benefits can be realised ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 02:27 AM   #24
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing says we're serious about climate change like flying in hundreds of jets from all over the world and assembling large motorcades of armored SUVs.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 02:33 AM   #25
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Nothing says we're serious about climate change like flying in hundreds of jets from all over the world and assembling large motorcades of armored SUVs.
Yeah, it's not like the pandemic hasn't demonstrated how effective teleconferencing can be.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 05:21 AM   #26
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
"Another meeting that could have been an e-mail" on a global scale.
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:44 AM   #27
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Erm, I think Darat didn't make the <sarcasm></sarcasm tags obvious enough.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 10:48 AM   #28
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
And Boris Johnson made a fool of himself with his opening speech, but probably doesn't care very much. Then he left in a private plane.

India has pledged to be carbon neutral by 2070, so that's OK then

The leaders of China, Russia, Brazil and Turkey conspicuous by their absence. The whole ******** is a total waste of time, without even a 'feel good factor' to fall back on.
The leaders shouldn't really be there. That part of it is just pat-on-the-back 'aren't we being good' while they fly halfway around the world to attend. Same with people like DiCaprio. A couple of representatives rom each country that can talk for their countries and the scientists to explain the findings are all that's really needed, not this farce.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:29 AM   #29
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I mistakenly posted a link to the following funny video in the Australia thread, since it comes from there, but it's really more germane here, I think, so take the liberty of double posting it:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 11:51 AM   #30
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Apparently both President Biden and PM Boris Johnson fell asleep during the opening remarks. I can’t say I blame either of them.
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:01 PM   #31
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Summary from BBC News:

Quote:
Opening the COP26 summit, Boris Johnson says that the children who will judge leaders for failing to act "are not yet born"

But he’s working on it?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:19 PM   #32
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Whoops - the heading should of course be COP26.

Yes, it is just one big jolly really, with all of the world leaders jostling to be in with the in-crowd, group photos and of course the nosh ups. I seem to recall doing a case study in climate changes well voer a decade ago, related to business studies, how supermarkets could become sustainable, solar panels, carbon footprint credits...and lo and behold... nothing at all has happened since. In the meantime we have had solar panel mass fraud, celebs thinking they can fly their stinky private jets all over, just as long as they pay some carbon credits (probably tax reclaimable), green investment scams (I queried one with the FSA and they later contacted me for more details, being very interested in this rogue company, which they informed me was not on their OK list). I don't believe for a minute the South Americans, especially Argentina and Brazil are going to cut back on their beef farming any time soon, with MacDonalds one of the biggest MNC food chains (no-one is fooled by their bits of lettuce and veggie burger menu). Coca-cola I believe has a massive production plant there (or did) and for flogging a brown liquid in a highly branded tin, is one of the worlds biggest MNC's.

However, for all that, the sheer amount of global publicity generated means it is all well and good.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 12:25 PM   #33
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Did anyone notice all the publicity given to 'Sleepy Joe' Biden just because he shut his eyes for a few seconds, albeit obviously alert and engaged, yet the pride of the UK, Prime Minister Boris Johnson, was photo-ed slocuhed over, maskless next to a 95-year-old national treasure, in David Attenborough, well out of it compared to Biden.

His pudding bowl haircut looks dreadful, although it did look neatly brushed for a short while at the beginning. He cannot look smart no matter what. There are some people - I know one or two - who always look a bit dishevelled due to 'clumsy; syndrome, so I don't want to knock BoJo too much.

But cop a look at Johnson next to the Finnish President, Sauli Niinistö and Antonio Guterres (_sp?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FDGkLR0X0AI8Li0.jpg (83.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg FDHSdlWWUAQTCLU.jpg (80.3 KB, 7 views)

Old 2nd November 2021, 12:27 PM   #34
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Can I have one more rant whilst I am here?

<rant> I love the group Insulate Britain to bits and am on their side. However, Britain's housing stock, in especially large connurbations, is crumbling. Much of it just needs to be pulled down and start all over again. </rant>

Old 2nd November 2021, 03:49 PM   #35
Architect
Chief Punkah Wallah

That's not strictly accurate.

James Keir Hardie (1856 - 1915): Politician, Founder of Scottish Labour Party
Architect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 03:56 PM   #36
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Yeah, it's not like the pandemic hasn't demonstrated how effective teleconferencing can be.
They could have at least carpooled. Biden could have come with Trudeau and they could have stopped on the way to pick up the PM of Iceland.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2021, 04:30 PM   #37
GlennB

Glad to see Johnson is giving the issues his full attention -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg johnson sleeping.jpg (80.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 2nd November 2021, 04:56 PM   #38
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Is there anything happening at this event that merits the full attention of any of the attendees?
Old 2nd November 2021, 04:57 PM   #39
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I could have sworn there was already a worldwide children's crusade judging leaders for failing to act. They have their own Nicholas of Cologne and everything.
All 100 of them showed up, except maybe Nicholas.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...postcount=2674
Old 2nd November 2021, 05:49 PM   #40
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Is there anything happening at this event that merits the full attention of any of the attendees?
I am guessing they had a pretty good idea of what was up for discussion, had all written (or been handed) their speeches already, and know they can get printouts of each other's, not that that would change anything, so I would be surprised if there's much.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events