IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th August 2017, 09:47 PM   #401
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
So far, you have a pandemic of three, of whom you claim to be the vector.

I'm scared. (Not)

abaddon: You make a lot of assumptions. Where and how do I claim to be a vector? I have always claimed to have a non-communicable infection.

Edited by Agatha:  Do not alter other members' usernames in order to insult.

Last edited by Agatha; 29th August 2017 at 04:14 AM.
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2017, 10:07 PM   #402
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
I get my moral compass from two sources. One is from my parents - my mother was believing Christian. And the other is from the soul that guides my physical body.
Therefore any god or gods are irrelevant to your morality.

Also, there is no such thing as a "soul". And you can provide NO evidence that such a thing exists.

Do you even have a moral compass? And if so, where did you get your principles from?
Sure. I get mine from the same place everyone else does. Humanity has evolved as a social species. It's built in without any need for immortal imaginary "souls". Or inherited superstitions.

God wears the spectacles? Oh, so there is a God! Just a bad one in your opinion. Better not get on the wrong side of him.
Why? He/she/it/housecat doesn't exist outside poorly written books of fiction. What's there to fear from a figment of someone else's fevered imaginings?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2017, 10:13 PM   #403
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

abaddon:
Can't help yourself with the childishness, can you?
Edited by Agatha:  Edited quote

You make a lot of assumptions.
Nope. I am responding to your claims.

Where and how do I claim to be a vector?
Back a way up thread. Although your tall tales change so often I can understand that you lose track.

I have always claimed to have a non-communicable infection.
So what? That doesn't prevent you from being a vector.

Last edited by Agatha; 29th August 2017 at 04:15 AM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2017, 10:27 PM   #404
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

This is getting to be a tired debating point. Prove the unprovable.
You were the one who asked

What about God giving us free will and allowing the laws of physics to play out MOST of the time?

What about intervening only when necessary for the GREATER GOOD?
I was only asking on what basis you make these conjectures. Proof is not required, just the tiniest smidgen of evidence that would make me even pause to consider them. Thank you for admitting you have none, so I don't need to waste my time.
Old 28th August 2017, 05:45 AM   #405
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

What about God ... allowing the laws of physics to play out MOST of the time?
Cite one single instance, verifiable mind you, that the laws of physics did not play out.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 06:59 AM   #406
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

So you HAVEN'T read it cover to cover, yet you claim it to be the word of God.

I never understood that. How could you actually BELIEVE the Bible was written by God as his message to us, and not bother READING it beyond the handful of passages promoted in Sunday School?

So if there is no God, then one has to assume that mankind consists of violent savages, and once mankind (helped by atheists) realizes there are no consequences for their actions they will cause the apocalypse all by themselves.
Ahh, the old "Without God there are no morals" line.

One problem with the line of reasoning you just excreted is that in using it you have confessed that without the fear of a cosmic sky-daddy spanking you for all eternity, you yourself would be an immoral sociopath. You only restrain your apparent murderous impulses because you fear a deity. That's not morality.

Funny how I can conduct myself morally without God, but you admit that without him you could not. Have you considered attending seminary? The fact that you extrapolate personal tragedy into an inevitable global judgement suggests you may have some of the personality traits needed to be a megachurch pastor.

Hmm. Your outlook on life and God is seen through blood-colored spectacles.
So your respond to the violence God orders in the Bible through denial. I suppose your lack of knowledge about the Bible's contents makes that really easy for you.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2017, 11:11 PM   #407
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
So you HAVEN'T read it cover to cover, yet you claim it to be the word of God.
(snip)

No. I believe that some of it was possibly inspired by God. That inspiration was a powerful message that resonated in people. Good people took the good parts. Bad people feared the punishments.

Here are more signs that the world is going crazy.

Quote:
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti.../#.WaUCMLb-skI

...The men from the rural town of Escourt, in KwaZulu-Natal province, were arrested over a week ago after one handed himself in to a police station, telling officers he was "tired of eating human flesh".

His confession led to the arrest of his four co-accused.

...The accused, all in their 30s, are charged with murder, conspiracy to commit murder and possession of human parts.

The grisly case, which has rocked the small town, has raised concerns about witchcraft and traditional medicine, as one of the arrested is reported to be a witch doctor.

According to the police, the first suspect walked into Escourt police station on August 18 with a bag containing a human leg and a hand.

He told officers on duty that he had eaten human flesh and he led them to a house where more human remains were found.

...Local media reported that police have linked the case to the killing of at least one woman in the area.

Some local people have also suggested that the men had dug up dead bodies from graves.

...South Africa has no direct law against cannibalism, but mutilating a corpse and being in possession of human tissue are criminal offences.
Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/201...e-furious.html

...a three-day kinky sex party held in the neighboring town that featured luxury boutique tents, an outdoor S&M dungeon and what the website described as an adult "play area”

...high-end sex party for kinksters and swingers, offering numerous workshops (apparently including one called "Getting sexy with snakes") at a "mystical site, where witches’ covens have met for centuries,”
Quote:
http://ewn.co.za/2017/08/26/grace-mu...assault-charge

...first public appearance since leaving South Africa where she was charged with assault.

The wife of 93-year-old Robert Mugabe, a potential successor to the president, was granted diplomatic immunity and left South Africa on Sunday.

Twenty-year-old model Gabriella Engels accused Grace Mugabe of whipping her with an electric extension cable as she waited with two friends in a luxury hotel suite to meet one of the Mugabes’ adult sons.

Now the many tribal Kings that we have in South Africa are wanting diplomatic immunity because they also beat, assault and kill subjects.
Old 28th August 2017, 11:14 PM   #408
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Can't help yourself with the childishness, can you?(snip)
abaddon. You deliberately misread and misquote me. Just returning the favor.

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to correct username

Last edited by Agatha; 29th August 2017 at 04:17 AM.
PartSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 01:24 AM   #409
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Point out any occasion where I have misquoted you please. You wont because you cannot.

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to correct username in quote

Last edited by Agatha; 29th August 2017 at 04:18 AM.
Old 29th August 2017, 01:28 AM   #410
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

No. I believe that some of it was possibly inspired by God. That inspiration was a powerful message that resonated in people. Good people took the good parts. Bad people feared the punishments.

Now the many tribal Kings that we have in South Africa are wanting diplomatic immunity because they also beat, assault and kill subjects.
Witchcraft is not real in the supernatural sense, although some wingnuts do believe it.

Your local troubles are not representative of the whole world.

Old 29th August 2017, 03:13 AM   #411
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Can you name any period in human history when people have not committed violence against each other, or had unorthodox sexual activity?

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 06:23 AM   #412
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Going?

Kid, crap like that has been going on since we climbed down from the trees and first tried our hands at civilization. You're trying to inject extra meaning into the fact that many humans, especially the ones attracted to political power, are jackasses.

So the mortality of the religious is to deliberately lie because you want to believe the other guy is too?

Quick tip: If you're going to try and claim religious values give someone superior morality to an atheist, you need to actually DEMONSTRATE superior mortality or be dismissed as a hypocrite. My eldest son is in grade school and he knows the "But he's doing it too!" argument is garbage. I'd expect better of an adult who claims superior morality to mine.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2017, 06:38 AM   #413
Beady
Philosopher

I'd expect better of an adult who claims superior morality to mine.
You are, of course, assuming that PS is an adult.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old 29th August 2017, 09:02 AM   #414
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beady View Post
You are, of course, assuming that PS is an adult.
I am operating under the assumption that their family life claims are accurate, which would at least make them a chronological adult. However, given the fact they just admitted to deliberately lying because they think the other person might be, I will concede it's an iffy assumption to make.
Old 29th August 2017, 12:19 PM   #415
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Dilbert tackles the question of how one can be moral without belief in a deity:

http://dilbert.com/strip/2016-11-07
Old 30th August 2017, 12:09 AM   #416
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Dilbert tackles the question of how one can be moral without belief in a deity:

http://dilbert.com/strip/2016-11-07

Like.

I notice the artificial soul is only for non-believers - who need it because they act immorally (for not listening to their REAL soul).

No doubt programmed by a believer!
Old 30th August 2017, 02:17 AM   #417
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Can you name any period in human history when people have not committed violence against each other, or had unorthodox sexual activity?

So the past is a justification for present violence and "unorthodoxy"?

On your reasoning, slavery should made legal again.

And why have laws that protect children from pedophiles?

Bring back public executions such as drawing and quartering, and let the children watch.

I thought morality was an evolving trait of improvement.
Old 30th August 2017, 02:20 AM   #418
StackOverflow

Your constant trolling and lying are 100% proof that this is not the case.
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 03:00 AM   #419
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Bring back public executions such as drawing and quartering, and let the children watch.

I shall be charitable and assume that you posted in a hurry, were stressed, or possibly under the influence of chemical stimulants, because I cannot see how your post can be considered to follow on from mine.
Let me help you.
You posted 3 stories to support your claim that " the world is going crazy". These involved cannibalism, violence and unorthodox sexual activity.
In reply, I asked you if you could name any period in history when this didn't happen. My point was that, if this behaviour has been going on since the dawn of human history, modern instances of such cannot be used as evidence that the world is going crazy.
You appear to have completely misread this, and seem to think I am justifying violence. You then go on to assert that I would welcome public executions and a free pass for paedophiles. Nothing in what I said could have led you to this conclusion, hence my assumption of something interfering in your focus. (By the way, I am all for unorthodox sexual activity, so long as it is between consenting adults. I do not share the prudish morality of your god).

In summary, if you want to prove your point that morality is declining, you need to show this with actual evidence, rather than a few snippets from the news that are a) not representative of the world as a whole and b) nothing new.

Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2017, 03:04 AM   #420
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Sometimes I could swear I hear the whoosh as the points sail over PartSkeptic's head.

The one accompanying his response to the Dilbert cartoon was particularly loud.
Old 30th August 2017, 06:07 AM   #421
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Like.

I notice the artificial soul is only for non-believers - who need it because they act immorally (for not listening to their REAL soul).

No doubt programmed by a believer!
You might want to try READING the comic and the few comics that follow it. You look a wee bit foolish when you comment after only reading the first panel. Still, your inability to finish a Dilbert comic before commenting on it does explain how you never managed to actually READ the Bible.

You know full well that's not what his point was. You are, yet again, misrepresenting what others wrote to create a false narrative that's easier to reply to. That may fly with people you know in meat space or on credulous religious forums, but that kind of deliberate deception, and you've admitted you're doing it deliberately, will be called out here.

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Sometimes I could swear I hear the whoosh as the points sail over PartSkeptic's head.

The one accompanying his response to the Dilbert cartoon was particularly loud.
They've already admitted they're doing it on purpose, using the belief that another poster is doing it too as justification.

At this point, nothing PartSkeptic says can be taken seriously. She or he has turned this into an overt troll thread.
Old 31st August 2017, 02:11 AM   #422
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

(snip)
At this point, nothing PartSkeptic says can be taken seriously. She or he has turned this into an overt troll thread.

Enough of playing in the sandpit (mud-pit?) for a while. I have got some serious work to do.
Old 31st August 2017, 02:42 AM   #423
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Enough of playing in the sandpit (mud-pit?) for a while. I have got some serious work to do.
The only response has to be the most obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8IkbCeZ9to

Old 31st August 2017, 01:18 PM   #424
Beady
Philosopher

The only response has to be the most obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8IkbCeZ9to
Now that PS is gone, when exactly is the world supposed to end this time?

Old 1st September 2017, 03:56 AM   #425
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Now that PS is gone, when exactly is the world supposed to end this time?

Whenever Trump decides to nuke North Korea.
Old 1st September 2017, 06:58 AM   #426
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Will that be before or after we all get killed by a fungus?

Old 1st September 2017, 07:02 AM   #427
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Oh, wait. Maybe they are one and the same thing. Is that why they call it a mushroom cloud?

Old 1st September 2017, 07:22 AM   #428
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Before, according to PartSkeptic. Trump will nuke North Korea this month, the global health problem will emerge before the end of this year, and will wipe out a large percentage of us (I can't be bothered to look up the number) in the next few years. Meanwhile Trump will do well as President.
Old 1st September 2017, 07:49 AM   #429
Beady
Philosopher

Before, according to PartSkeptic. Trump will nuke North Korea this month, the global health problem will emerge before the end of this year, and will wipe out a large percentage of us (I can't be bothered to look up the number) in the next few years. Meanwhile Trump will do well as President.
Is this before or after the Theory of Relativity falls apart? Or was that a different thread? I get so confused.

Old 1st September 2017, 08:25 AM   #430
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Is this before or after the Theory of Relativity falls apart?
Not sure. Is that before or after Brilliant Light Power go to market?

Quote:
Or was that a different thread? I get so confused.
Just think how confused people who don't visit this forum regularly are going to be when it all starts happening.
Old 1st September 2017, 08:38 AM   #431
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Not sure. Is that before or after Brilliant Light Power go to market?

Just think how confused people who don't visit this forum regularly are going to be when it all starts happening.
And we've still got to fit in all the roaring and tossing. It's going to be a busy few months!

Old 1st September 2017, 10:27 AM   #432
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Quick drive-by posting.

Glad to see some have been paying attention.

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. Until it isn't.
Old 1st September 2017, 10:29 AM   #433
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Le Flounce, she is hard to stique.

Old 1st September 2017, 10:59 AM   #434
StackOverflow

Quick drive-by posting.

Glad to see some have given me the attention I crave so much.

Fixed that for you
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2017, 11:08 AM   #435
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Quick drive-by posting.

You attempted to leave the thread, but failed to achieve escape velocity.

You just can't quit us, can you?
Old 1st September 2017, 12:18 PM   #436
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Quick drive-by posting.
Without adding anything useful or interesting. Well done.

You're not the only member of this forum, you know.
Why is it that the woo-mongers and the zealots all seem to imagine we all sit around and wait to be lectured and enlightened by them? PS, if you 'paid attention' to the numerous replies to your posts, you might learn something. Otherwise, it might be better to see this forum as a meeting-place of equals, not a passive audience awaiting your input. A little humility goes a long way.

Wow, that's like, profound and stuff. You mean that people die? Who'd have thought? ffs

Old 1st September 2017, 12:53 PM   #437
Beady
Philosopher

Wow, that's like, profound and stuff. You mean that people die? Who'd have thought? ffs
Fortune cookies are people, too.

Old 1st September 2017, 02:48 PM   #438
Peregrinus
Graduate Poster

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.
Now it's meaningless clichés from the '60's? Neither creative nor helpful.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2017, 10:35 PM   #439
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

September is upon us. Wait for it.....

If the US nukes NK, I can reliably predict (without Tarot cards because the skeptics on this site can be so predictable), that I will hear how obvious a solution it was, and that it was a nothing prediction.

So, was it so predictable WHEN the cards said it would happen?

It is beginning to look more predictable now. A missile over Japan, and now a nuclear test this morning.

An indication that Trump is now seriously considering a nuke or two is his measured language. That is, "I warned you once, and you did not listen".
Old 2nd September 2017, 10:43 PM   #440
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

September is upon us. Wait for it.....

If the US nukes NK, I can reliably predict (without Tarot cards because the skeptics on this site can be so predictable), that I will hear how obvious a solution it was, and that it was a nothing prediction.

So, was it so predictable WHEN the cards said it would happen?

It is beginning to look more predictable now. A missile over Japan, and now a nuclear test this morning.

An indication that Trump is now seriously considering a nuke or two is his measured language. That is, "I warned you once, and you did not listen".
Wow. That is akin to the fundy christians who not only seek Armageddon, but who positively revel in it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy