IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:16 AM   #241
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Paul Bethke View Post
There are times when words convey the real meaning. Prediction is different from prophecy, and to understand the difference makes a big difference.

When the difference is understood it will make a difference to how people view the Scriptures and the essential meaning of prayer.

So now you are still wrong and I am right, so much for your knowledge of the original languages, so go and find out what the difference is.

A clue is that one is dependent on the other and the other is a result of the one.
Nonsense and poppycock. You are making up a distinction not supported by the text.

Strong is not that very reliable—it is the understanding of Scripture.
Then provide a better Hebrew resource that justifies your attempt to make a distinction between "prophesy" and "prediction."

Do you have ANYTHING other than your own wishful thinking to support your claim?
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 06:18 AM   #242
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Well Cosmic, you need me and the Church to tell you what to repent of, and to SEE that your repentance is in accordance with the terms of repentance.

Then you need someone to immerse you in water to symbolise your acceptance and the washing away of your guilt that you will experience in that DAY.

You will need me to announce the time when the judgments will begin and to predict events to collaborate the Gospel.

You will need me to initiate the commands to be introduced to inaugurate the Kingdom rule.

You will need me to administer the discipline of the one true Church worldwide.

You will need me to allocate the land back to Israel as it was prophesied to Abraham.

It looks like you will not be able to do without me!
This from a guy who insists he's not prideful.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:55 AM   #243
Zivan
Muse

There are times when words convey the real meaning. Prediction is different from prophecy, and to understand the difference makes a big difference
You are making up your own definitions in your delusional mind.

There is functional no difference between "prophecy" and "prediction".

You are lying again.

You copy/paste walls of text all the time, but you can NOT show from anywhere that there is a distiction between the two words.

It is more of your made up crap from your warped, delusional "thinking".

Strong is not that very reliable—it is the understanding of Scripture.
Oh, this is hysterical.

Why do you even make such stupid, insane statements?

You have NO IDEA if Strongs is reliable or not. NO IDEA.

Stop making such idiotic statements.
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:00 AM   #244
Zivan
Muse

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
This from a guy who insists he's not prideful.
The delusion is so strong.........

We can all be grateful that NO ONE in real life or online believes a word of his insanity.....it would be truly terrifying if he had any followers.
Zivan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:04 AM   #245
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Prediction is different from prophecy, and to understand the difference makes a big difference.
No. You desperately need there to be a difference so that you can continue to claim your failed predictions do not disqualify you as a prophet. Your personal need doesn't create a factual difference.

Quote:
When the difference is understood it will make a difference to how people view the Scriptures and the essential meaning of prayer.
Your view of scripture is wrong on this point.

Quote:
So now you are still wrong and I am right...
If that were true, you could address the reasons I gave for why you're wrong. But you didn't; you just repeated your claim and declared it to be true. Try again, this time addressing the actual argument.

Quote:
...so much for your knowledge of the original languages, so go and find out what the difference is.
There is no difference, as the scripture treats the concept. You claim there is, but cannot prove it.

The original language has but one relevant word. English translators have rendered it "prophecy" in some cases and "prediction" in other cases. This illustrates their understanding that the English words have substantially identical meanings; either can appropriately translate the Hebrew. More importantly, you once considered the concepts identical. You set out to prove you were a prophet. And how did you do that? By attempting to predict future events. Only after your predictions failed did you try to disconnect the concept of prophecy from prediction.

And subsequently you have used the various forms of the English words "prophet" AND "prophecy" to mean a whole slew of unrelated and wrong things. For example, you invent a "prophetic meaning" to scripture, which is -- we glean from context -- simply whatever you personally choose to believe about what you read. You're simply making up new meanings for words.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:05 AM   #246
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

It looks like you will not be able to do without me!
Such arrogance.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:38 AM   #247
Paul Bethke
Philosopher

The END of the END

So at this stage I will leave the discussion as it is only going to be a repeat of all that I have stated.
I thank all my valued critics for their input—it certainly causes me to re-evaluate my stance.

I will also put an END to my end time predictions until the END is in sight.
So let me end with this.
Thank you all.
Luke 21:31---Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the Kingdom of God is near.
Paul Bethke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:39 AM   #248
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
The delusion is so strong.........

We can all be grateful that NO ONE in real life or online believes a word of his insanity.....it would be truly terrifying if he had any followers.
He recently hinted that he had a follower, but I don't believe him.
Old 14th June 2017, 08:50 AM   #249
Zivan
Muse

So at this stage I will leave the discussion as it is only going to be a repeat of all that I have stated.
I thank all my valued critics for their input—it certainly causes me to re-evaluate my stance.

So let me end with this.
Thank you all.
So you are running away and hiding because you have no answers...........
Old 14th June 2017, 08:52 AM   #250
Zivan
Muse

He recently hinted that he had a follower, but I don't believe him.
Yes, he said he had a "witness".

Can a person's alternate personality be a witness/follower?
Old 14th June 2017, 08:59 AM   #251
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, it probably will be. You can't demonstrate a working understanding of the difference between stating a claim and proving a claim. You seem to proceed from the premise that you are self-evidently infallible. Hence the entirety of the debate with you has been listening to you simply assert this or that nonsense over and over again.

Quote:
It clearly does not. Your response to criticism, in nearly every case, is to accuse the critic of some flavor of ignorance, then simply "dig in" and repeat your beliefs as if they somehow addressed the criticism. I've seen no evidence that you have changed your mind on a single point as the result of criticism and comment here. Can you show some examples of this claimed reevaluation?

Quote:
But then that wouldn't be prophecy. You can't swear off prophecy without also relinquishing your self-elected status as prophet. Prophets prophesy. It's what makes them prophets. Waiting until an outcome is evident merely makes you observant, not prophetic. It certainly doesn't compensate for your obvious past failures at prophecy. So your resignation merely confirms what we've been telling you all along -- you're not a prophet; never have been.
Old 14th June 2017, 09:04 AM   #252
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

This is not the first time that Paul Bethke has promised not to post here again until the signs he's confidently awaiting finally start to appear. I predict that before long he'll once again get bored waiting for something that is never going to happen and return to post as wrongly and as arrogantly as ever.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:10 AM   #253
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I am right it is a simple distinction between the two, prophecy and prediction have different applications, and as such can be seen as the wisdom of understanding the purpose of the written revelation.

They are not ordinary English words as they must be understood in the original way as they were first used by the prophets.

So again the excellent translations highlight this, which you seem not to understand.
There is no difference between your fantasy predictions, prophecy, or whatever term of art you'd choose to apply to your religious delusions.

It's not enough for you to simply worship at a church, you've got to be the one that "knows" what the imaginary guy in the sky has in store for the world - your delusions of grandeur are clearly evident.

Your are the self appointed mouthpiece for an imaginary entity.

All your quoting of this-or-that from the book that established the existence of this imaginary entity doesn't establish anything other than your gullibility and your overwhelming need to be in control.

You're failing badly.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:11 AM   #254
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

So let me end with this.
Thank you all.
Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:23 AM   #255
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
I predict/prophesy he will be back!

I have now placed Paul Bethke in a difficult position. If he ever DOES come back we will have empirical proof I'm a better prophet than he is. The only way he can avoid proving I am the better prophet would be for him to stay away.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:54 AM   #256
Zivan
Muse

But you do not understand prophecy! Em......or predictions! Or predicted prophecy! Or something else in PB private dictionary of made up definitions.......
Old 14th June 2017, 11:18 AM   #257
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Zivan View Post
But you do not understand prophecy! Em......or predictions! Or predicted prophecy! Or something else in PB private dictionary of made up definitions.......
Old 14th June 2017, 12:27 PM   #258
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

So let me end with this.
Thank you all.
This is just another of your many commitments that you will break as soon as it is convenient for you to do so.
Old 14th June 2017, 12:51 PM   #259
Beady
Philosopher

Took him long enough to get the hint.

This signature is intended to irritate people.
Old 14th June 2017, 02:32 PM   #260
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So let me end with this.
Thank you all.
The grass at The World Cup still makes you a failed prophet.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 02:43 PM   #261
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I have now placed Paul Bethke in a difficult position. If he ever DOES come back we will have empirical proof I'm a better prophet than he is. The only way he can avoid proving I am the better prophet would be for him to stay away.
To a guy on an ego trip, any attention is good attention.

I'm sure he'll lurk, read and not be able to keep himself from posting - or, it could be we'll get a sock that may support his "beliefs."

Old 15th June 2017, 02:43 AM   #262
Cosmic Yak
Philosopher

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

So let me end with this.
Thank you all.
So having told us how much we will need you, you are now leaving.
Great.
Who will be the Reichsfuhrer in your absence?

Bring Back the Yak! P.J. Denyer
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 03:24 AM   #263
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Signs of the End Times - Part the Third

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
So having told us how much we will need you, you are now leaving.

Great.

Who will be the Reichsfuhrer in your absence?

We'd need a misogynist racist with delusions of deification who communicates chiefly through insulting his opponents, but to the best of my knowledge Donald Trump, while having plenty of free time between golf games, rarely ventures outside of Twitter for online communication.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 15th June 2017 at 03:36 AM.
Old 15th June 2017, 04:30 AM   #264
Border Reiver
Philosopher

So let me end with this.
Thank you all.
You've made this statement at least three previous times in this series of threads (Signs of the End Times) already.

Evidence says you'll be back.
Old 15th June 2017, 05:10 AM   #265
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
You've made this statement at least three previous times in this series of threads (Signs of the End Times) already.

Evidence says you'll be back.

Like the cat.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 31st July 2017, 07:02 AM   #266
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

5 Near-Identical Jesus Christ Myths That Predate Jesus

Here's a video that covers much of the same territory:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 7th August 2017, 10:22 PM   #267
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

This looks like it fits the characteristics of the pandemic pathogen I have been predicting may hit us soon. Transmittable fungus with high death rate and hard to eliminate

Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/0...attention.html

...Enhanced cleaning didn’t stop the dangerous bug from spreading from one patient to the next in the 296-bed hospital. Neither did segregating infected patients, to keep them from spreading the fungus.

...Last year at this time, the CDC knew of a single U.S. case, which occurred in 2013. As of mid-July, the case count had risen to 98 in nine states, though the lion’s share have been reported by two — New York (68) and neighboring New Jersey (20).

...But it seems C. auris can be transmitted from person to person, at least in a hospital setting. The fungus is hellishly difficult to eradicate from a space, once it settles in. And some versions of it seem to be impervious to the drugs — the dismayingly few drugs, it must be noted — that combat fungal infections.

...It is estimated that about five or six out of every 10 people that have been seen to be infected with C. auris die. Chiller cautioned, though, one cannot say the fungus kills 50 percent or 60 percent of its victims.
Old 7th August 2017, 11:45 PM   #268
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I think we need to agree criteria upfront for what will constitute a hit for the prediction "A serious global health problem will be apparent by the end of 2017".

I suggest "A story about an emerging global health problem is the lead item on the front page of three [specified] major news sites in the same week". I nominate the BBC News website for one, PartSkeptic can pick one, suggestions invited for the third.
Old 8th August 2017, 02:14 AM   #269
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I think we need to agree criteria upfront for what will constitute a hit for the prediction "A serious global health problem will be apparent by the end of 2017".

I suggest "A story about an emerging global health problem is the lead item on the front page of three [specified] major news sites in the same week". I nominate the BBC News website for one, PartSkeptic can pick one, suggestions invited for the third.

I suggest people will know it when they see it.
Old 8th August 2017, 02:54 AM   #270
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PartSkeptic View Post
This looks like it fits the characteristics of the pandemic pathogen I have been predicting may hit us soon. Transmittable fungus with high death rate and hard to eliminate
No it doesn't fit at all.

From the article you link...
Quote:
To be clear, C. auris isn’t the zombie apocalypse. Healthy people aren’t going to be felled in the street by this fungus.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2017, 02:55 AM   #271
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

And what you posted is not "it". You are simply desperate to grasp at any straw tho preserve your baseless belief.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2017, 04:04 AM   #272
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Describing an inevitability is hardly a prediction. Claiming there will eventually be a pandemic is about as risky a prediction as saying there will be another full moon in the next month or so. Of COURSE there will be another pandemic sooner or later. That's how evolution works.

Predicting one emerging before the end of a particular year is a prediction that carries a bit of risk, but as long as whatever eventually becomes the pandemic is detected somewhere before the end of the year it would be counted as a "hit" by anyone making the prediction. There are millions of pathogens that already qualify as a "hit" for your "Captain Obvious" prediction. Anthrax and Smallpox being released from thawing Russian permafrost. Ebola. The particularly nasty fungus in the article you lined to. You haven't made a prediction of any value. You've given us the public health equivalent of "the sun will rise, the sun will set and sooner or later everyone you know will be dead."

You might as well be writing newspaper horoscopes.
Old 8th August 2017, 05:33 AM   #273
PartSkeptic
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
No it doesn't fit at all.

From the article you link...
Quote:
To be clear, C. auris isn’t the zombie apocalypse. Healthy people aren’t going to be felled in the street by this fungus.
YET!

And what about the changing forms of this group of pathogen?

What are the chances?
Old 8th August 2017, 06:17 AM   #274
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

YET!

What are the chances?
What's your point?

Are you seriously trying to claim that a potential pandemic is some sort of prophesy or proof of divine knowledge?

Well, I suppose if every delusional "prophet" predicts a pandemic eventually one of them will get to claim they were "right," but it'll be sheer dumb luck, not divine intervention.
Old 8th August 2017, 07:44 AM   #275
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Only if you specify what 'it' is.

Deliberately making predictions so vague that something is very likely to happen which the prediction can then be interpreted to fit is exactly what makes most prophesising so utterly worthless. Giving a specific end date seemed to be indicating that you wanted to be better than that, but apparently not.

Last edited by Pixel42; 8th August 2017 at 08:45 AM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2017, 08:03 AM   #276
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

YET!

What are the chances?
The chances are high. To pretend otherwise would be to ignore all of human history. This, of course, means that your prediction is meaningless, since it is almost certain to occur at some point as it has in the past over and over again. 74 kya humanity almost went extinct, being reduced to around 10k individuals or so. Yet here we are 7 billion strong and growing.

To be blunt, it is likely that you have this very fungus happily growing on your own skin without any particular harm. And that is normal. It only becomes a problem in immunocompromised individuals.

So let us imagine that said fungus mutates into some lethal version. That mutation will not last long. If it kills it's hosts, it has no more hosts in short order. Such things have happened in the past, so we have evidence that this is the case. We also have evidence that a certain segment of tabloid media likes nothing better than scaremongering tactics. It sells.

Remember when AIDS was going to wipe us out? Or Ebola? Or whatever. None of it actually happened even though tabloids were screaming "Doom!!!! Eleventy!!". Here we all are decades later. The first case of AIDS that was confirmed was 1959. Earlier cases are suspected. The first confirmed case of Ebola was 1976. Total deaths 11,000. Pretty harsh way to go, but in the context of a global population of 7 billion, hardly call for talk of extinction.

Old 8th August 2017, 08:22 AM   #277
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

And I suggest that's too subjective a method to be used to determine whether someone has a true gift of prophecy. It is, however, the method that false prophets have used for centuries: make a vague claim and latch onto anything that seems close enough.
Old 8th August 2017, 09:04 AM   #278
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
And I suggest that's too subjective a method to be used to determine whether someone has a true gift of prophecy. It is, however, the method that false prophets have used for centuries: make a vague claim and latch onto anything that seems close enough.
Surely not like corroded seals on a water tank. That could not happen unless some deity intervened.

Old 8th August 2017, 09:28 AM   #279
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Nostradamus at least had the decency to put his vague non-predictions into verse.
Old 8th August 2017, 09:31 AM   #280
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Nostradamus at least had the decency to put his vague non-predictions into verse.
"There once was a man from Damascus..."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy