ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , epicureanism , hedonism , nihilism , philosophy , stoicism

Old 24th March 2020, 08:43 AM   #161
Lithrael
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Most (all?) justice systems in the world are based on the idea that the person being tried is responsible for their actions. This is why there are specific pleas that exculpate people from crimes - certain kinds of mental illness being the most obvious example. If everybody is exculpated from everything then there is no justification for treating anybody on trial differently from people who would be exculpated due to said mental illnesses.
Bad news on that front in the USA:

Quote:
Until 1979, every jurisdiction in the United States allowed mentally ill defendants to assert what was traditionally regarded as an insanity defense – that is, to argue that because they did not understand that their actions were wrong, they cannot be held criminally responsible for those actions. Since then, five states, including Kansas, have abolished that defense. Today, by a vote of 6-3, the Supreme Court ruled that a state’s failure to allow a mentally ill defendant to raise such a defense does not violate the Constitution.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 07:07 AM   #162
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I miss marplots.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 07:49 AM   #163
calebprime
moleman

Yeah, marplots had a pov, a unique one.
calebprime is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 08:29 AM   #164
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
Yeah, marplots had a pov, a unique one.
My recollection is that he was very patient, even calm, about expressing his pov. I could be wrong, so I'm not going to check.

Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:06 AM   #165
calebprime
moleman

I just mean that he usually had something to say. And he was patient enough, as you say.
calebprime is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:29 AM   #166
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
I just mean that he usually had something to say. And he was patient enough, as you say.
Yep. Just a reminder that we've lost a few good ones along the way. Even if we weren't best buds or frequently in direct conversation, they have an impact on the fabric of the forum. More than the OP, at least.

Old 25th March 2020, 01:11 PM   #167
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Philosofer123 View Post
Over the past decade, I have formulated my philosophy of life. It is my guide to living well.

You may find a brief summary and link to the full 13-page document here:

http://philosofer123.wordpress.com

I am posting this in order to solicit feedback so that my document may be improved. I welcome any constructive feedback you may have.

There's not much in that essay I disagree with. And it's pretty well written.

The problem I see with it is it's not instructional. It enumerates a list of beliefs and attitudes one should acquire for peace of mind, but it doesn't tell you how to confirm the truth of those beliefs nor how to foster those attitudes in oneself. The stoics, whose main themes generally align with yours, emphasized methodologies for achieving peace of mind. What you've done isn't that; you're essentially enumerating one particular highly detailed definition of peace of mind.

It's like me saying I have a guaranteed strategy for winning a football game against any opponent, and when you click the link it says to score more points than they do. Well, yeah, sure, but how much help is that?

Suppose someone tells you that they're depressed because they think the way to achieve happiness in life is to achieve fame and fortune, but they've failed to do that, so their life is a failure. What would you tell them, aside from that you disagree?
Old 25th March 2020, 01:25 PM   #168
calebprime
moleman

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
It's like me saying I have a guaranteed strategy for winning a football game against any opponent, and when you click the link it says to score more points than they do. Well, yeah, sure, but how much help is that?

My son and I only watch football together once in a while, and we think it's hilarious to swap football strategy. My favorite is: "You've got to get on the board early." I could have been another Joe Paterno.
Old 25th March 2020, 09:02 PM   #169
Philosofer123
Student

Thank you for reading and commenting, Myriad.

It enumerates a list of beliefs and attitudes one should acquire for peace of mind, but it doesn't tell you how to confirm the truth of those beliefs nor how to foster those attitudes in oneself.
On pages 1 to 5, I provide arguments for each of my philosophical positions, and on pages 6 to 13, I provide detailed advice on how to achieve and maintain peace of mind.

Suppose someone tells you that they're depressed because they think the way to achieve happiness in life is to achieve fame and fortune, but they've failed to do that, so their life is a failure. What would you tell them, aside from that you disagree?
I would tell them that one can be happy without fame or fortune, and I would refer them to pages 6 to 13 to find out how.
Philosofer123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th March 2020, 08:25 PM   #170
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Thank you for reading and commenting, Myriad.

On pages 1 to 5, I provide arguments for each of my philosophical positions, and on pages 6 to 13, I provide detailed advice on how to achieve and maintain peace of mind.

I would tell them that one can be happy without fame or fortune, and I would refer them to pages 6 to 13 to find out how.

I don't agree that the advice is detailed, and to the extent that it is, it can only be followed by people who don't really need it. In that regard it's similar to telling a depressed person to be more cheerful, or a bullied kid to make more friends, or a stressed caregiver who can't leave their charge alone for a moment to make sure not to forget to take time for themselves.

Let me explain some examples, starting on page 6. (Sorry about the run together quotes; they're just to indicate which part I'm responding to, and readers should refer back to your document to read them.)

Quote:
 My philosophical positions promote peace of mind in a variety of ways
o Atheismprecludesnegativeemotions(suchasfearandange r)directedtowardGod
o Afterlifenihilismprecludesfearofanunpleasantafterl ife,aswellasfearofghosts
o Ultimateresponsibilityimpossibilismrendersirration alawholerangeofnegativeemotions,
including guilt, regret, shame, remorse, indignation, anger, outrage, resentment, contempt and hatred
 When one realizes that all of one’s actions can be fully expressed as a function of factors that are entirely outside of one’s control, all of these emotions are rendered irrational
 However, with respect to one’s own past actions that may have hurt others, one may still apologize, attempt to rectify the situation, and vow to act differently in the future. And with respect to others’ hurtful actions, one may still respond for the sake of deterrence.
o Moralnihilismprecludesdismay,disgust,frustrationan danxietyrelatedtomoraljudgments, as well as guilt, indignation, outrage and resentment
o Thanatophobicirrationalismcanreduceoreliminatethef earofdeath

One cannot just believe a proposition or philosophical position just because someone tells you to.

More importantly, you're talking about abstract propositions overcoming emotions. For instance "don't feel remorseful or guilty, you were incapable of acting in any other way than how you acted" is not going to change anyone's minds or feelings. This isn't because moral nihilism (or any of the positions you list) is demonstrably wrong, but because our minds don't work that way, with rational thought easily overriding emotional reactions. That can be done, but few people can do it very well, and one expects more guidance for acquiring a relatively rare and difficult skill than a list of books to read.

Quote:
 Taking physical care of oneself promotes peace of mind
o Suchcareprolongsone’slifeandenhancesone’sabilityto dealwithstress
o Oneshouldeatnutritiousandbalancedmeals,exercisedai ly,andgetadequatesleep

Of course one should do those things, and everyone knows it, but not everyone can, often for reasons they have no control over. Medical conditions, disabilities, and scheduling issues limit exercise; sleep disorders, random retail work schedules, and uncomfortable environments prevent adequate sleep; balanced nutritious meals can be labor-intensive or expensive. This kind of advice is really irksome to people who are facing real difficulties in their lives. If someone's only reason for inadequate sleep is staying up late watching YouTube videos then, yeah, tell them to change that. If it's having to give Mom her pills at 10 PM and it takes until 11 to convince her you're not trying to poison her, and then get up at 5 AM to get to work on time, telling them to get more sleep is just mean.

Quote:
 Cultivating self-sufficiency promotes peace of mind
o Dependenceonothers(whetheritbeemotional,financial, physicalorotherwise)makesone vulnerable to a variety of circumstances that can disturb one’s mind

Even if you grow all your own food and sew your own clothing in a compound out in the country somewhere, you're still dependent on others and therefore vulnerable to others' circumstances. Clearly, there are beneficial dependencies and harmful ones. How to distinguish them and avoid the latter? You don't say.

Quote:
 Cultivating friendships promotes peace of mind
o Good friends provide one with the assurance of assistance in times of need. Such assurance
can significantly reduce anxiety and fear.
o Goodfriendsprovidecompanionship,whichcanreducelone linessandboredom
o Asabonus,goodfriendsalsopromotepositiveemotionssuc hasloveandcamaraderie,
enhance one’s self-knowledge, and foster self-acceptance

Having trouble making or keeping friends? Well, let me tell you all about all the great benefits you're missing out on because of that! Then you'll know to try harder!

Oh, are you shy, introverted, awkward, misunderstood, on the spectrum, or preoccupied with other concerns? Sucks to be you, then. Have I mentioned that you'd be much better off if you had more friends?

Quote:
 Living a simple life promotes peace of mind
o Thesimplerone’slife,thefewerthingsthatcangowrongan ddisturbone’smind
o Asimplelifeistypicallyinexpensive,whichminimizesfi nancialworriesandobviatesthe
need for a high income
o Asexamples,allofthefollowingincreasethecomplexityo fone’slife,andthebenefitsof
such actions (in terms of state of mind) should be weighed against the costs:  Getting married
 Having children
 Buying a house
 Taking on a managerial position  Getting involved in politics

Those examples can make things more complex, but the alternatives are not always any simpler. Maybe some workplaces used to be a trade-off between lower-wage un-stressful "simple" work and more complex and more stressful managerial work, but nobody's job has been simple for the past few decades in the age of two hundred page policy manuals for minimum wage service workers. Not owning a house means paying rent and being dependent (oops) on a landlord who can force you to pack up and move when the year is up. All those friendships, the demands of self-sufficient living, nutritious cooking and healthy exercise add complexity too. Most people are just getting by financially and regard any decrease in their material standard of living (e.g. living more simply on a smaller income), however much it might benefit them in peace of mind, as a failure they must strive desperately to avert, because that's been a core part of our culture for several generations now. How are you going to convince them otherwise?

Anyhow, that's the kind of issue I was getting at. Twelve pages aren't going to be much of a guide to how to actually achieve peace of mind. What you've mainly done is enumerate what it means to have peace of mind.

Whether or not you believe people actually truly really really make decisions, people experience making decisions (what our brains have evolved to do) and those are often difficult. What do you advise about health care for chronic conditions: just follow the doctors' advice at every step, or (as the trendy advice currently runs) "participate" in your own health care, which involves weighing conflicting medical claims from numerous different sources to address complex questions? What is your advice about television; is it economical relaxing entertainment, or a barrage of imagery carefully crafted to make the viewer uneasy about not owning certain products or participating in certain lifestyles, jeopardizing peace of mind?

If your essay had been written by someone else and you had read it at age 20, how much of it would you have understood, accepted, and followed?
Old 27th March 2020, 02:30 AM   #171
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Married with one child.

Comfortable.

Retired.
I think I'll pass on your philosophy. Your responses seem rather average, not that there's anything wrong with that. However, your philosophy seems to have put you where pretty much most people are.
Old 27th March 2020, 06:17 PM   #172
Philosofer123
Student

I have been issued an infraction for spamming by a moderator.

This permanently concludes this discussion.
Philosofer123 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2020, 07:12 PM   #173
Myriad
Hyperthetical

People who have achieved peace of mind aren't bothered by such minor things.

Would you like some pointers on how to achieve peace of mind? For instance, by realizing that the person who issued you an infraction is not ultimately responsible for that action?
Old 27th March 2020, 11:20 PM   #174
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Oh don't worry about that, I have tons of those. Not for spamming, mostly for being a dick.
Old 28th March 2020, 06:58 AM   #175
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Item number 376 in my long and complicated philosophy of life is not to waste time reading long, complicated gibberish. It seems to work. Subsection 376b is recursive.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th March 2020, 07:32 PM   #176
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Bet they're back again in another four years.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2020, 11:41 PM   #177
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Item number 376 in my long and complicated philosophy of life is not to waste time reading long, complicated gibberish. It seems to work. Subsection 376b is recursive.
TL;DR
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy