ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:25 AM   #41
Thabiguy
Muse

Originally Posted by lambent View Post
We only made courtesy return visits to Europe after visiting our country with groups of tourists led by Napoleon and Hitler
Could you enlighten me as to what the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968 had to do with Napoleon or Hitler?

I would dare to say nothing whatsoever.

While I realize the appeal of the universal patriotic narrative to paint one's own country as only ever fighting in self-defense, I don't think that's reconcilable with rational debate. Let's be grown-ups and admit that practically every empire in the history of the world has at some times engaged in aggressive military campaigns to expand its territory or influence, and the Russian empire (in any of its various incarnations) is no miraculous exception.
Thabiguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:33 AM   #42
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I've long felt that Russia, of all the nation-states, has some justification for expansionistic warfare.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 04:49 AM   #43
llwyd
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I've long felt that Russia, of all the nation-states, has some justification for expansionistic warfare.
Yeah, us Finns and Estonians and Poles et al do totally concur, absolutely, like they don't have that much land, so obviously they need to expand.

edit: A bit longer analysis of mine about the peculiar nature of the essential peculiarity of "Russian Authority": Stalin's willing executioners

Last edited by llwyd; 3rd April 2020 at 04:54 AM.
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics