ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Reply
Old 30th March 2020, 04:57 PM   #481
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 8,827
Quote:
More than 2,400 Americans had died by Sunday. Governors around the country are screaming for more assistance from the federal government. Trump? He obsesses over ratings. It is hard to comprehend how indifferent he is to human suffering.
Roll a d6:
1. butbutblackman!!
2. lol triggurd libs
3. but he closed border to Chinese people to **** out yellow virus!!
4. yes, but technically...
5. where were you when Crooked Hillary... (reverse whataboutism)
6. but it's a Democrat hoax!!
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:38 AM   #482
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,966
Donald and Dunning-Kruger:
Quote:
Donald Trump is the Dunning-Kruger president of the United States.

But he is also something much worse than that. Donald Trump is an almost perfect living, breathing example of the Dunning-Kruger effect: a president in a time of plague whose ignorance and stupidity are amplified through apparent and obvious mental illness as well as cruelty, compulsive lying, grand immorality, corruption and evil.
https://www.salon.com/2020/04/02/our...illing-people/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:44 AM   #483
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,966
The latest from Dr. Lee:
Quote:
Dr. Lee, a forensic psychiatrist at Yale School of Medicine and editor of the bestseller "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump," recently convened a panel on the coronavirus in her role as president of the World Mental Health Coalition. The panel discussed Trump's bungled response to the crisis and his attempts to downplay the threat posed by the pandemic.

The panel issued a "prescription for survival" arguing that Trump must be removed from office, whether through the 25th Amendment, a second congressional impeachment or his resignation. Alternatively, the panel recommended an intervention by mental health professionals or an act of Congress to establish a Coronavirus Crisis Department headed by the Centers for Disease Control to ensure the safety of the public.
https://www.salon.com/2020/04/02/yal...e-coronavirus/
https://worldmhc.org/prescription-for-survival/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2020, 11:58 AM   #484
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 25,514
Of course everything can be argued in many ways, but I wonder, if one considers Trump's incompetence and cluelessness to have contributed to the high death rate in this country, how long the "yeah he's a clown but he's not dangerous" argument will keep flying.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:06 AM   #485
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,966
Trump as toddler:

Quote:
Trump’s toddler traits have significantly hampered America’s response to the pandemic. They aren’t new, either. In the first three years of his term, I’ve collected 1,300 instances when a Trump staffer, subordinate or ally — in other words, someone with a rooting interest in the success of Trump’s presidency — nonetheless described him the way most of us might describe a petulant 2-year-old. Trump offers the greatest example of pervasive developmental delay in American political history.
....
Trump’s short, toddler-like attention span has been a problem throughout his administration. One former high-ranking government official told me that a 45-minute meeting with the president was really 45 different one-minute meetings, in which Trump would ask disconnected, rapid-fire questions such as “What do you think of NATO?” and “How big is an aircraft carrier?” One book reported that Trump would interrupt his first chief of staff to pepper him with questions about badgers. That inability to focus laid the groundwork for the bad pandemic response. During the transition, the Obama administration prepared a tabletop exercise to brief the incoming Trump team about how to handle an influenza pandemic. The president-elect did not participate, and a former senior official acknowledged that “to get the president to be focused on something like this would be quite hard.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...63d_story.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:11 AM   #486
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,966
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Of course everything can be argued in many ways, but I wonder, if one considers Trump's incompetence and cluelessness to have contributed to the high death rate in this country, how long the "yeah he's a clown but he's not dangerous" argument will keep flying.
Who's making that argument? His belligerent ignorance, his contempt for the ordinary processes of government, his incitement of racism, his corruption and more made him dangerous from the day he was elected. We've just been lucky that a catastrophe didn't happen earlier. But it's here now, and we're all going to suffer deeply.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:19 AM   #487
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 21,665
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Interesting comparing him with the previous GOP president, who was ddeply wrong on many levels, but at least got some things right:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/geor...-prepare/story
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:41 AM   #488
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 27,160
I miss the president who would hand out nicknames like Guru (C. Rice), Ali (B.Boxer), and Hogan (J. McCain). Now we have a president who calls people Liddle’ Adam Schiff, Sleepy Joe Biden, and Lyon’ Ted Cruz.(OK, that last one isn’t too bad).
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:53 AM   #489
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.
 
Ladewig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 27,160
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The evidence piles uip:

Originally Posted by www.washingtonpost.com

No one could make up a character as narcissistic and lacking in human empathy as President Trump. Trump’s own words make the point better than any analysis or commentary:
Some may remember the old Twilight Zone episode where a 7-year-old Billy Mumy had vast mental powers such as the ability to read minds and the ability to somewhat alter reality with his mind (he could wish someone dead). I shudder to think what the world-wide death toll would be if President Trump could kill people with his mind if he was upset.
__________________
I lost an avatar bet to Doghouse Reilly.

Last edited by Ladewig; 5th April 2020 at 08:54 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 10:40 AM   #490
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 25,514
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Who's making that argument? His belligerent ignorance, his contempt for the ordinary processes of government, his incitement of racism, his corruption and more made him dangerous from the day he was elected. We've just been lucky that a catastrophe didn't happen earlier. But it's here now, and we're all going to suffer deeply.
It certainly was never my argument, and I agree that he's been dangerous from the start. An armed bomb does not become dangerous only after it's exploded. But I think supporters of Trump or of his policies have made that argument. If the prestige has changed his mind, I haven't seen it here.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 11:06 AM   #491
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell
 
dasmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Well past Hither, looking for Yon
Posts: 6,255
Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Some may remember the old Twilight Zone episode where a 7-year-old Billy Mumy had vast mental powers such as the ability to read minds and the ability to somewhat alter reality with his mind (he could wish someone dead). I shudder to think what the world-wide death toll would be if President Trump could kill people with his mind if he was upset.
His mind wouldn't scare me so much. Now, if he could kill with his ego . . .
__________________
"In times of war, we need warriors. But this isn't a war." - Phil Plaitt
dasmiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 04:29 PM   #492
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 11,718
I put this is the Trump Presidency thread but it seemed appropriate here, too, because the psychiatrist is Bandy Lee.

Psychiatrist: Trump Supporters Think Like Five Year Olds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qACQ7PqrXqE

ETA: link corrected

Last edited by Stacyhs; 5th April 2020 at 05:18 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 04:45 PM   #493
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,018
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I put this is the Trump Presidency thread but it seemed appropriate here, too, because the psychiatrist is Bandy Lee.

Psychiatrist: Trump Supporters Think Like Five Year Olds
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=541417133174111

I don’t see what you are referring to at that FB link, but it’s always a sign of professionalism when the insults start flying, huh?
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 05:18 PM   #494
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 11,718
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I don’t see what you are referring to at that FB link, but it’s always a sign of professionalism when the insults start flying, huh?
Sorry... this is the correct link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qACQ7PqrXqE

Maybe you should wait until you actually see what she says before commenting.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 05:31 PM   #495
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,018
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Sorry... this is the correct link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qACQ7PqrXqE

Maybe you should wait until you actually see what she says before commenting.

That doesn’t change anything at all. She is “psychoanalyzing” Trump followers and concluding on very limited evidence and without actually, you know, talking to any of them, that they display primitive moral reasoning that the “rest of us” grow out of by age 5.

Sounds fancy but it’s an insult. She is stereotyping. Kind of like “black people are scary; Jews are money hungry; Mexicans are lazy.” “Trump supporters are as immature as 4 year olds.”

Real professional there, Dr. Lee. She lowers the integrity of the medical profession every time she speaks.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 06:00 PM   #496
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 11,718
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
That doesn’t change anything at all. She is “psychoanalyzing” Trump followers and concluding on very limited evidence and without actually, you know, talking to any of them, that they display primitive moral reasoning that the “rest of us” grow out of by age 5.

Sounds fancy but it’s an insult. She is stereotyping. Kind of like “black people are scary; Jews are money hungry; Mexicans are lazy.” “Trump supporters are as immature as 4 year olds.”

Real professional there, Dr. Lee. She lowers the integrity of the medical profession every time she speaks.
That's funny...and wrong. What she said isn't stereotyping, it's based on Kohlberg's The Stages of Moral Development:

Quote:
Kohlberg’s Stages of Moral Development

Stage 1: (From about age 2-3 to about age 5-6):The Stage of Punishment and Obedience or “Might Makes Right”.
https://www.rcgates.com/psyc/c13_add.html
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 07:42 PM   #497
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,018
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That's funny...and wrong. What she said isn't stereotyping, it's based on Kohlberg's The Stages of Moral Development:


https://www.rcgates.com/psyc/c13_add.html

You can dress it up in whatever academic ******** you like. She is still stereotyping a whole group of people based on nothing but her own biases. I doubt she’s ever actually met a Trump supporter, much less done assessments on them. She merely judges them from afar and insults them. I guess that’s what you want from medical professionals.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 07:56 PM   #498
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 11,718
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
You can dress it up in whatever academic ******** you like. She is still stereotyping a whole group of people based on nothing but her own biases. I doubt she’s ever actually met a Trump supporter, much less done assessments on them. She merely judges them from afar and insults them. I guess that’s what you want from medical professionals.
Ah..."the best defense is a good offense tactic". Excellent. I show that what Dr Lee said is based on accepted academic study and you call it "academic ********".
Speaking of biases, you might want to look at your own since you've been going after Dr. Lee and her colleagues since the beginning of the thread. You've been harping on the Goldwater Rule as if mental health professionals can't recognize a malignant narcissist unless they've met them in person.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 08:20 PM   #499
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,018
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Ah..."the best defense is a good offense tactic". Excellent. I show that what Dr Lee said is based on accepted academic study and you call it "academic ********".
Are you saying that Dr. Lee has administered the Moral Judgement Interview to enough Trump supporters to make a professional judgement about all of them? If not, then I don't see how Kohlberg's scale is relevant. So yeah, if she is inappropriately using Kohlberg's model, then it's academic and psuedoprofessional ********.
Quote:
Speaking of biases, you might want to look at your own since you've been going after Dr. Lee and her colleagues since the beginning of the thread. You've been harping on the Goldwater Rule as if mental health professionals can't recognize a malignant narcissist unless they've met them in person.
I fully admit to a bias against medical professionals who act unethically and outside the standards of their profession. You caught me.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 10:56 PM   #500
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 11,718
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Are you saying that Dr. Lee has administered the Moral Judgement Interview to enough Trump supporters to make a professional judgement about all of them? If not, then I don't see how Kohlberg's scale is relevant. So yeah, if she is inappropriately using Kohlberg's model, then it's academic and psuedoprofessional ********.
Wait....I thought it was '"academic ********" but now you want to use the Moral Judgment Interview from the very same source?

Quote:
I fully admit to a bias against medical professionals who act unethically and outside the standards of their profession. You caught me.
Heheheheh....yeah....we've had pages and pages of that self-righteous stance. But, in the immortal words of Rhett Butler: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. Toodles!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 01:26 AM   #501
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8,018
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Wait....I thought it was '"academic ********" but now you want to use the Moral Judgment Interview from the very same source?
Well sure...if she is actually using Kohlberg’a theories as the basis of her statement, then I would expect her to have actually, you know, used the tool on a sampling of Trump supporters. Otherwise, it’s academic BS; more remote assessment of people she’s never met.

To delve a little deeper, the majority of the audience for her statement has never heard of Kohlberg and his theories about moral judgement. I’d wager you’d never heard of it until blutoski brought it up in another thread. I think you are using Kohlberg as window dressing to make her statement seem more serious. I call BS on that: she is stereotyping a group of people based on her biases -plain and simple. If you understood anything about Kohlberg’s theories, you would understand what a misapplication it is to use it in the way that you assert she did.
Quote:
Heheheheh....yeah....we've had pages and pages of that self-righteous stance. But, in the immortal words of Rhett Butler: Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. Toodles!
To quote a popular song from a few years later...”I’ve heard that song before.”
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:33 AM   #502
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,966
An interview with another shrink:
Quote:
I think he is the least free man. You and I have some degree of choice about how we're going to behave and react to the world around us; we are complex and we make complex decisions because we have a conscience and we care about the effects of our actions on others. Donald Trump, in contrast, is very simple. Everything he says or does is for himself, either to have power over others or to hurt them in revenge against their disagreeing or standing in his way. Because he has shown himself to be incapable of either conscience or empathy, he is basically a predator, lacking the most essential parts of our humanity.

Despite this, he has two techniques that have allowed him to be successful in business and politics: He is a bully, and he lies continuously. Repeating his lies over and over is like the "big lie" technique made famous by Hitler. It works because when a lie is endlessly repeated, even decent people assume there must be some truth in it.
https://www.salon.com/2020/04/09/dr-...-be-in-prison/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.