ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags antifa

Old 24th November 2018, 01:03 PM   #601
dann
Philosopher

People who only watch Fox probably also won't hear Richard Spencer say that antifa’s methods work!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 03:47 PM   #602
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Facists aren't a Protected Class. Most common targets of Facists are.
Being willing and ready to protect those who by law deserve special protection against those who don't is, in my opinion, praiseworthy.
As I said in the "Trump 11" thread, there's a key factor here:

The reason fascists aren't a "protected class" is that they can always just stop being organized fascists. The people they target, usually don't have a choice. Jews under Hitler's reign couldn't just say "I renounce Judaism" and be okay. Many people that were lynched in the US were just black people who were just...around (and yeah, I'm counting that as a form of fascism). A lot of people deported in "Operation Wetback" were born US citizens. There's an essential difference between targeting people for what they do, and targeting them for what they are.

Richard Spencer could have sat around all day snarling at every ad that showed a white woman next to a black man, and I wouldn't care less. But since he decided to organize a violent hate movement, he someone ran up and punched him in the entire face, and I watched it repeatedly and laughed every time. And I'll say the same for Gavin McGinnis, and I'd laugh out loud if he got punched in the face like Spencer did. I'm not saying we suspend laws to allow anyone to do so - but really, that guy should be up on federal charges.

Also, from what I see, a lot of Antifa activity is just figuring out who various nazis on Twitter/Gab/"other platforms" are, and reporting them to their family and employers. Still retributive, but not violent.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2018, 05:55 PM   #603
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I used to be more against the idea of anti-fascist vigilantism, then I heard about situations like the 1958 Notting Hill Race Riots

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ed-912105.html

The Battle of Cable Street could be another example.
Exactly.

I'd rather it not get to that point, but...again, we're moving towards that point.

And I have no issue with either group of aggressors (at Notting Hill or Cable Street) being beaten back. marching through a neighborhood of minorities or oppressed people, specifically to decry said group, is aggression. Again, you can say that crap in you own home, with no issue. But they decided to organize, in order to intimidate.

No different that the Charlottesville hate mob.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics