ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cops , military bases , video

Old 16th March 2019, 05:46 PM   #1
Ranb
Philosopher

Civilians Making Video of Military Bases.

So I'm looking at a video a guy made of a gate at Fort Hood in Killeen TX. After he is confronted by a gate guard, the Killeen police show up. The video seems to be aimed mostly at the female police officer after she and her partner show up. Some of the comments are rude, but others are rather funny.

https://youtu.be/dctrubT31MI

According to the comments the female officer is Mexican, Chinese, trans, unhappy, bitchy, carries a glock, had her hand on her weapon, wanted to whoop ass, had attitude, chubby, etc. None of these are true; in my opinion. She is half Pinoy, carries a Sig and let her partner do all the talking

She was also described as hot. But she is not hot, she is my daughter.

Ranb
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 06:08 PM   #2
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

You could have just made a humble brag thread.
Do I, or any of us, care to discover anything about the thread title/topic?
In other words... which is the actual topic you'd like to discuss?
(Other than, I presume, 'is my daughter hawt'. )

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 16th March 2019 at 06:13 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
So I'm looking at a video a guy made of a gate at Fort Hood in Killeen TX. After he is confronted by a gate guard, the Killeen police show up. The video seems to be aimed mostly at the female police officer after she and her partner show up. Some of the comments are rude, but others are rather funny.

According to the comments the female officer is Mexican, Chinese, trans, unhappy, bitchy, carries a glock, had her hand on her weapon, wanted to whoop ass, had attitude, chubby, etc. None of these are true; in my opinion. She is half Pinoy, carries a Sig and let her partner do all the talking

Ranb

I didn't read the comments. Did any of them say "professional"? Because that's the way I would describe both officers. Well done.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 06:23 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Ranb
Is she really? That's cool.

This came up in another thread, someone looking to video FEMA camps or something, maybe someone else can recall the details.

Bottom line was you can't photograph at the edge of a military base if you are getting images past the fence.
Old 16th March 2019, 06:52 PM   #5
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

She was also described as hot. But she is not hot, .....,

Ranb
Once more, I agree with Ranb.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 07:19 PM   #6
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

SovCits (and their cousins) are so adorable.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 07:23 PM   #7
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

He films a sign saying you can't film there without permission, what did he expect to happen?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 07:29 PM   #8
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
You could have just made a humble brag thread.
Do I, or any of us, care to discover anything about the thread title/topic?
In other words... which is the actual topic you'd like to discuss?
(Other than, I presume, 'is my daughter hawt'. )
The topic would be video of law enforcement in a somewhat provocative manner.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 08:26 PM   #9
Checkmite

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
He films a sign saying you can't film there without permission, what did he expect to happen?
I'm reminded of the time these two "open-carry" fanatics decided to walk into a police station wearing body armor and balaclavas and carrying rifles at the low-ready, and started an angry shouting match about their "rights" with the police who were ordering them to get on the floor.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 10:04 PM   #10
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Ranb
I forget, were you in the Navy?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 10:40 PM   #11
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
SovCits (and their cousins) are so adorable.
aM i BeInG dEtAiNeD!?
Old 17th March 2019, 01:02 AM   #12
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

My opinion as a retired Canadian law enforcement officer (RCMP) is that both officers acted professionally and with courtesy. They should be commended given that this fellow was obviously trying to bait them into doing something that he could then make a big fuss about.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 01:29 AM   #13
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

I watch a lot of these civilian audit videos, most don't go well for the law enforcement guys. Not sure how inappropriate I should be when discussing RanB's daughter?
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 05:54 AM   #14
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

This is a bad law though. The government does not deserve special protection. I cannot put this sign in front of my property and stop police from recording.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 06:10 AM   #15
TX50
Graduate Poster

Don't you have a video of her where she actually does something?

Oh, and that US Army red cap looked like a soup sandwich.
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 06:50 AM   #16
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I watch a lot of these civilian audit videos, most don't go well for the law enforcement guys. Not sure how inappropriate I should be when discussing RanB's daughter?

But...…

Not specifically to you, but to a couple of others who have also responded, I think some people really missed the point of the video. I'll address your comment specifically, but it applies even better to some others.

In this case, it did go very well for the law enforcement guys, because the law enforcement "guys" did their job very well, and very professionally, and did exactly the right thing.

Specifically, they investigated a report of suspicious behavior. They determined that the behavior, while suspicious, did not break any laws, and they allowed the citizen to continue what he was doing. They asked the citizen for ID, but when the citizen declined to give it to them, they accepted the refusal. They didn't threaten. They didn't abuse. They didn't accuse him of breaking the law. They didn't overstep their authority. The cops were great.

The bottom line, as one poster put it, was that the man was not breaking any laws and was perfectly within his rights to stand outside a military base and film anything he can see from the public property where he was standing. He did so. When the MP (or whoever the initial military responder was) tried to tell him he could not, the citizen quite correctly responded that he did have the right to do everything he was doing and the military had no authority to prevent him from doing it. When the police responded, they quite correctly asked a few questions, determined that there was no probable cause to believe a crime was in progress and, having done so, allowed the citizen to continue filming.

I say thumbs up to everyone involved, with some minor demerits to the military guy who tried to tell the citizen he was not allowed to film when, in fact, the citizen had every right to film what he was filming. Even that guy only gets a minor demerit from me because, having been told off by the citizen, he backed off and called the appropriate authorities, who then did exactly what police officers ought to do, which is to investigate and, having investigated but found no problem, allowed citizens to go about their business. Would that there were more police like that.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 07:13 AM   #17
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
This is a bad law though. The government does not deserve special protection. I cannot put this sign in front of my property and stop police from recording.
Sorry, thought the implication was they couldn't record.
Old 17th March 2019, 07:46 AM   #18
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
But...…

Not specifically to you, but to a couple of others who have also responded, I think some people really missed the point of the video. I'll address your comment specifically, but it applies even better to some others.

In this case, it did go very well for the law enforcement guys, because the law enforcement "guys" did their job very well, and very professionally, and did exactly the right thing.

Specifically, they investigated a report of suspicious behavior. They determined that the behavior, while suspicious, did not break any laws, and they allowed the citizen to continue what he was doing. They asked the citizen for ID, but when the citizen declined to give it to them, they accepted the refusal. They didn't threaten. They didn't abuse. They didn't accuse him of breaking the law. They didn't overstep their authority. The cops were great.

The bottom line, as one poster put it, was that the man was not breaking any laws and was perfectly within his rights to stand outside a military base and film anything he can see from the public property where he was standing. He did so. When the MP (or whoever the initial military responder was) tried to tell him he could not, the citizen quite correctly responded that he did have the right to do everything he was doing and the military had no authority to prevent him from doing it. When the police responded, they quite correctly asked a few questions, determined that there was no probable cause to believe a crime was in progress and, having done so, allowed the citizen to continue filming.

I say thumbs up to everyone involved, with some minor demerits to the military guy who tried to tell the citizen he was not allowed to film when, in fact, the citizen had every right to film what he was filming. Even that guy only gets a minor demerit from me because, having been told off by the citizen, he backed off and called the appropriate authorities, who then did exactly what police officers ought to do, which is to investigate and, having investigated but found no problem, allowed citizens to go about their business. Would that there were more police like that.
By and large I agree but....

If authorities were given just a smidgen of training they would know that it's not against the law to film or photograph when in a public place and none of us have a right of privacy when out and about in public.

That would mean that those two officers wouldn't have completely and utterly wasted their time to drive over there to tell the guy that he wasn't breaking any laws; what a massive waste of resources. What should have happened is that, upon receiving the call, the dispatcher should have informed them that no laws were being broken and they would not be attending.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 08:05 AM   #19
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

By and large I agree but....

If authorities were given just a smidgen of training they would know that it's not against the law to film or photograph when in a public place and none of us have a right of privacy when out and about in public.

That would mean that those two officers wouldn't have completely and utterly wasted their time to drive over there to tell the guy that he wasn't breaking any laws; what a massive waste of resources. What should have happened is that, upon receiving the call, the dispatcher should have informed them that no laws were being broken and they would not be attending.
Likewise, I agree, but.....

I don't know what sort of duty a police officer has to investigate "suspicious behavior", or what was reported to the cops.

The last time I had an unprovoked encounter with a police officer (i.e. unprovoked in the sense that I had done absolutely nothing wrong. No speeding. No trespassing. Nothing.) I was driving in a residential neighborhood when my cell phone rang. I pulled over to the side of the road to answer the call, and parked (legally) in front of a house. I talked for a few minutes on the phone, and was about to drive away when a cop pulled up behind me and approached my car. After asking for ID, which I provided, he asked what I was doing and I looked at him puzzled. I can't recall if I gave any answer at all. He then explained that the woman in the house had decided I was suspicious by sitting in front of her house in a parked car, and called the cops.

I laughed and I think it was at that point that I told him about the phone call. He thanked me and told me to have a nice day.

It was a bit irritating to be questioned while I was minding my own business, but I didn't blame the cop. He wasn't a jerk about it. His job was to investigate suspicious behavior. He didn't detain me for more than a minute. No real worries.

I think this encounter falls into the same category. I think that, since the base reported someone behaving suspiciously, they had some sort of obligation to check it out, but they were very courteous about it. I was actually impressed that they didn't make a big deal when the guy refused to share his ID. I think a lot of cops would have gotten kinda uppity about that, and really upped the hassle factor, but these two took it in stride.

I blame the base personnel for making the report.
Old 17th March 2019, 08:17 AM   #20
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Is she really? That's cool.

This came up in another thread, someone looking to video FEMA camps or something, maybe someone else can recall the details.

Bottom line was you can't photograph at the edge of a military base if you are getting images past the fence.
The woman in question was Nancy Genovese, and the bottom line for Suffolk County was 1 million dollars, which was the amount she was awarded in the lawsuit after sherriff's deputies violated her rights by detaining her after she was standing on public property taking pictures of a military base.

The cops in this case were much wiser.
Old 17th March 2019, 10:10 AM   #21
Ranb
Philosopher

I forget, were you in the Navy?
Yes.

Be as inappropriate s you want. My daughter thought some of the comments, even the offensive ones were funny.

Originally Posted by TX50 View Post
Don't you have a video of her where she actually does something?
Here you go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zio0_dibb8g

Last edited by Ranb; 17th March 2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 17th March 2019, 10:15 AM   #22
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
So, what... people do this hoping to have their rights compromised so they can get a paycheck?
Old 17th March 2019, 10:31 AM   #23
Ranb
Philosopher

I'm not familiar with the laws regarding video near military bases but as far as I know people like that are not interfered with near the Bangor or Puget bases in WA. But most of us employees in the shipyard are given some sort of anti-terrorism awareness training which includes how to spot a terrorist. One of those would be people who photograph or video bases entrances.

Quote:
I assume it was military security who called the Killeen police. I can think of a few ways this person with the video camera would be leaving the area. Carted off by base security or the police, ordered to leave by either party or after a brief chit-chat by which his ego was stroked enough to allow him to leave willingly.
Old 17th March 2019, 11:29 AM   #24
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Actually, the bottom line is that you can photograph or video anything you can see from public access areas (public sidewalks, easements, roads, etc.), period. If you can see it, you can photograph it.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 11:31 AM   #25
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Yes.
The child being half Pinoy made me wonder. I knew a few people with half Pinoy kids. Our COB did.
Old 17th March 2019, 11:39 AM   #26
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
The child being half Pinoy made me wonder. I knew a few people with half Pinoy kids. Our COB did.

Made you wonder what? And why did that fact make you wonder?
Old 17th March 2019, 11:50 AM   #27
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Made you wonder what? And why did that fact make you wonder?
Brides from the Philippines were somewhat common for Sailors stationed in the Pacific fleet up until the early 1990's. When I reported to my first submarine in 1984 I was told that "every time we go to the Philippines, two or three guys just have to get married". I didn't believe it.

When the USS Tautog pulled in to the ship repair facility near Olongapo for a three week upkeep, three guys decided they wanted to be married to the women they met. I was one of them.
Old 17th March 2019, 12:53 PM   #28
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Ranb, I understand your actions.

But I still wonder why Bob the Coward is wondering, and about what....
Old 17th March 2019, 01:20 PM   #29
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Ranb, I understand your actions.

But I still wonder why Bob the Coward is wondering, and about what....
It made me wonder if I remembered him being in the Navy or if it was someone else.
Old 17th March 2019, 02:19 PM   #30
Checkmite

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
So, what... people do this hoping to have their rights compromised so they can get a paycheck?
Correct. The person filming the base wasn't actually interested in anything on the base; he was hoping to draw a law enforcement response that he could film and criticize.
Old 17th March 2019, 02:25 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The woman in question was Nancy Genovese, and the bottom line for Suffolk County was 1 million dollars, which was the amount she was awarded in the lawsuit after sherriff's deputies violated her rights by detaining her after she was standing on public property taking pictures of a military base.

The cops in this case were much wiser.
Yes, that is the one. Thanks.
Old 17th March 2019, 02:29 PM   #32
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
Actually, the bottom line is that you can photograph or video anything you can see from public access areas (public sidewalks, easements, roads, etc.), period. If you can see it, you can photograph it.
Yes it would appear I have a different recollection of the outcome. I see now the eventual ruling was in her favor.
Old 17th March 2019, 02:31 PM   #33
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

LOL..

Like ground level videos of a military base are more revealing than the stuff they can pull from satellites ....

P.S.
I know; not really the point of the OP...

Last edited by Skeptical Greg; 17th March 2019 at 02:52 PM.
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events