ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th March 2019, 09:50 AM   #1
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Dust Off That APA Citation Generator in Your Brain

Hello,

I'm trying to cite results from the Home Health Compare Option on Medicare.gov as a resource in a paper. (The purpose of the paper is to report on our findings when comparing 3 home health organizations in our area using that option on the site.) I have my APA style guide pretty well committed to understanding, but I wanted some clarification. Should this kind of thing be cited as a full website would be? Do I need to add some indicator that it's a search tool within a page? I have a citation guide sitting in front of me, and nothing is jumping out...

I emailed my instructor too, but in case she doesn't get back to me today, I figured I would post here as well.

(Please feel free to ask me to clarify if that sounded like gibberish. I've got the brain drain a bit.)
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 10:37 AM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I feel old. The last time I wrote a research paper there weren't any websites.
Old 16th March 2019, 11:34 AM   #3
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Don't quote any sites, just cite the paper?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 11:48 AM   #4
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Don't quote any sites, just cite the paper?
It's not a paper I'm citing. See, I explained it badly.

I'M the one writing a paper. What I'm citing is this:
https://www.medicare.gov/homehealthc...ng=-79.9919995

It's the results of a comparison between various aspects of 3 home health care organizations in my area. The paper we have to write is a summary of the results of those comparisons. We were specifically told to use that exact website mechanism to obtain the data. We are also told in the syllabus to include a reference page on all papers. Therefore, the instructor must be expecting us to cite these search results.

I'm not sure how the hell to do that. Instructor may not get back to me today, and I just wanted to see if I could find out.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 01:38 PM   #5
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I feel old. The last time I wrote a research paper there weren't any websites.

And you chiseled your citations into stone tablets! Citing other stone tablets. We have it way too easy now.

I just had to take a Myers-Briggs test for my other class and post a video of myself talking about the results. Seriously. This is a 400-level class. And it's essentially making me do Facebook things for points.
Old 16th March 2019, 02:40 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by isissxn View Post

I just had to take a Myers-Briggs test for my other class and post a video of myself talking about the results. Seriously. This is a 400-level class. And it's essentially making me do Facebook things for points.
If I had to do that, I'd make a video of the reasons to debunk the test.

You question makes no sense to me, not because of your post but because I don't understand the assignment.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 16th March 2019 at 02:45 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 03:49 PM   #7
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
If I had to do that, I'd make a video of the reasons to debunk the test.

You question makes no sense to me, not because of your post but because I don't understand the assignment.
Understandable. It's a slightly weird assignment.

Okay, so as I'm sure you probably know, there is a function on the Medicare.gov site that allows you to search and compare different criteria about up to 3 different home health care facilities within a given geographical area. We were instructed to go to that page, type in our own zip code, and select 3 to compare under the compare option. So I've done all that, and once done, the page looks like this - https://www.medicare.gov/homehealthc...ng=-79.9919995. It will probably make much more sense if you take a glance at it.

So that's my data. My paper is just to write a summary about the notable similarities/differences between organizations, if any are particularly bad or good, etc., with some examples. Based on that comparison data on the Medicare site.

In the syllabus for the course, the instructor wrote that ALL writing assignments are expected to have APA reference page/citations. This is a paper, so we must have to cite the comparison results page(s), as the whole assignment is based around that info. I wasn't sure how to do such a citation, especially in-text. Google can't understand what I mean either, lol.

Last edited by isissxn; 16th March 2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: changed a word for clarity
Old 16th March 2019, 05:56 PM   #8
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Take a screencap or print out the data/table and attach then refer to the attachment?
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2019, 06:48 PM   #9
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Take a screencap or print out the data/table and attach then refer to the attachment?
That's a great idea! Thanks.

I think I'm going to stick with that unless I hear otherwise from the teach.
Old 16th March 2019, 07:12 PM   #10
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post

Well, I would definitely do this. I cannot imagine that a paper needs a citation when the entire assignment is the citation. However, I would cite the webpage:

Healthcare facility comparison from ZIP. (2019, March 16). Retrieved from http://https://www.medicare.gov/home...-search-result.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2019, 07:49 AM   #11
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Well, I would definitely do this. I cannot imagine that a paper needs a citation when the entire assignment is the citation. However, I would cite the webpage:

Healthcare facility comparison from ZIP. (2019, March 16). Retrieved from http://https://www.medicare.gov/home...-search-result.

I didn't even think of this. Thanks, you guys!

Still haven't heard back from the instructor, and I really wanted to just get something down since I have other things to work on. That was a weird assignment in general. I hope they're not all going to be like that.
Old 17th March 2019, 08:09 AM   #12
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

US Government Medicare Database approached [date] at medicare.gov
Old 19th March 2019, 10:23 AM   #13
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post

Yes, this is a great addition!

Still haven't heard back from the instructor, and I really wanted to just get something down since I have other things to work on. That was a weird assignment in general. I hope they're not all going to be like that.
You're welcome! Hope your paper kicks academic ass!
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 04:26 PM   #14
Minoosh
Philosopher

There's a reason I think higher education causes brain damage.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 04:32 PM   #15
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
US Government Medicare Database approached [date] at medicare.gov

A lot of links like this are only temporary search results (like here on the forum), but even if they aren't (like this one seems to be), the next time someone screws with the front-end to the database, the link will be worth nothing. So one should avoid being over-specific in general and specifically if the database has been named as the to-go source by the teacher.

But of course I don't even know what "APA" is, so take it as just a common sense comment.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education