ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Reply
Old Today, 04:16 AM   #1721
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 62,125
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
To be clear : African-American and the n-word are both accurate. The question becomes which of them one chooses to use.

Trump and his fellow bottom-feeders choose to associate terrorism with Islam per se rather than with the degenerate ideology we know as Islamism (or perhaps better, jihadism). Being better than that we, of course, choose otherwise.
I don't disagree with any of that. But I don't think that calling extremist islamists extremist islamists makes that connection. If it did, the word "extremist" wouldn't be there; we'd just say "Muslim", which is the crux of my argument with wareyin.
__________________
"So let it be written. So let it be done."
Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:34 AM   #1722
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 4,144
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
That shot is out of context. It's a moment after he bullied his way over the PM of Montenegro to get center stage and he's in the process of transitioning from fake friendly face to serious big shot face. When you watch the video, he just about does a cowboy-hitch-up-your-pants move while changing his facial mask. The video is far more revealing (see thread about Trump being an ass).
Has anyone else noticed the parallel between this and the trouble Paul Manafort got in for manhandling a female reporter in a similar manner?

It would virtually never be charged in a case like this, but for comparison purposes, this is the Florida statute concerning such things:

"784.03 Battery;
(1)(a) The offense of battery occurs when a person:
1. Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other...
"

I use Florida because its the one I know.

Anyway, there are locales where pushing someone aside constitutes a crime, albeit a minor one.
__________________
"God is not a magician" - Pope Francis

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:45 AM   #1723
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,091
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I don't disagree with any of that. But I don't think that calling extremist islamists extremist islamists makes that connection. If it did, the word "extremist" wouldn't be there; we'd just say "Muslim", which is the crux of my argument with wareyin.
Which actually shows how hollow your argument is, to be frank. No one has shied away from calling them extremist. Right wing pundits, and those who mindlessly parrot their shrill screeches, have only complained if there is no reference to Islam or Muslim.

To attempt (yet again) to drag this back on topic: Even Trump has (for now) stopped saying the 'radical Islamic' phrase. Even a fat, idiotic Christian (hey, if it's true, you gotta say it, otherwise it's a lie, right?) like Trump has been taught that it's a bad idea which only makes things worse.

Actually, when I google "Trump radical Islam", I get several recent news stories about Trump not using the phrase, and one recent story from (of course) FOX News about Trump condemning radical Islamic terrorism, with no mention of him avoiding or not using their preferred term. Man, it's pathetic how they have to keep on pushing that term, and it's just sad when folks who really should know better just lap up.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:46 AM   #1724
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,200
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Do we have anyone that knows German?

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/auslan...a-1149282.html

I've got that Trump tells EU leaders, "The Germans are bad, very bad," but context would be nice.
The admin is saying that he said that Germany is bad on trade. So, he still doesn't understand that the US has a trade deal with the EU and not individual countries in the EU. I thought Merkel explained that to him when she visited the US. Dementia strikes again.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:55 AM   #1725
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 62,125
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Which actually shows how hollow your argument is, to be frank. No one has shied away from calling them extremist.
Which actually shows how disingenuous your argument is, to be frank. You should know by this point that "extremist" isn't the only word that needs to be present to describe them, and that the whole phrase is what I've been arguing for. But given your behaviour so far I'm not surprised that you keep playing tricks like this.

For some reason, you don't want "Muslim" or "Islamist" to be there because, while true, it would, in your opinion, target all Muslims, even though the word "extremist" is right there.
__________________
"So let it be written. So let it be done."
Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:10 AM   #1726
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,091
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Which actually shows how disingenuous your argument is, to be frank. You should know by this point that "extremist" isn't the only word that needs to be present to describe them, and that the whole phrase is what I've been arguing for. But given your behaviour so far I'm not surprised that you keep playing tricks like this.

For some reason, you don't want "Muslim" or "Islamist" to be there because, while true, it would, in your opinion, target all Muslims, even though the word "extremist" is right there.
So, that's a "no" on keeping this on topic, then? Just going to ignore the stuff about even Trump* learning how poorly thought out this strategy is?


*fatty Christian idiot Trump!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:14 AM   #1727
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 62,125
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
So, that's a "no" on keeping this on topic, then?
Oh, now you're concerned about the topic? How about the KKK and Stalin and all that?
__________________
"So let it be written. So let it be done."
Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:30 AM   #1728
wareyin
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,091
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Oh, now you're concerned about the topic? How about the KKK and Stalin and all that?
Well, the KKK did endorse Trump. I'm confident in saying that they did so largely because of his habit of using racist and xenophobic language as a candidate, including such terms as the one that even a fat bumbling moron like Trump has finally realized is not only unproductive, but counterproductive.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:36 AM   #1729
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 62,125
Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Well, the KKK did endorse Trump.
See, it's right on topic, then. Neo-Nazis endorsed Trump as well, so Hitler's on topic, too! And Stalin was a Soviet, like Putin, so it's linked to Trump as well. It's six degrees of Orange Menace!

Or, alternatively, it's on topic when wareyin says it is. Whatever serves his purposes.
__________________
"So let it be written. So let it be done."
Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:53 AM   #1730
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,224
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Stalin was a Soviet, like Putin, so it's linked to Trump as well.
That's a bit muddled. Putin is not a "Soviet", as the Soviet Union no longer exists. He is a Russian. Stalin was not, except by virtue of being a subject of the Russian Empire prior to the Revolution. The Russian Empire no longer exists. The part of it in which Stalin was born is now an independent country.

Last edited by Craig B; Today at 05:54 AM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:55 AM   #1731
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 62,125
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
That's a bit muddled. Putin is not a "Soviet", as the Soviet Union no longer exists. He is a Russian. Stalin was not, except by virtue of being a subject of the Russian Empire prior to the Revolution. The Russian Empire no longer exists. The part of it in which Stalin was born is now an independent country.
Putin _was_ a Soviet in the KGB. Good enough for six degrees of Orange Menace!
__________________
"So let it be written. So let it be done."
Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.