ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy

Old 17th February 2017, 06:57 AM   #281
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
The barrel had been filled in and the cylinder bored out, but you could still fire blanks.
If your barrel had been filled in, it most certainly would not fire blanks. Blanks still have a full powder charge. When fired, all of those high pressure gasses have to go somewhere. If the barrel is blocked, there is a good chance the gun could explode....or at the very least be severely damaged.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:14 AM   #282
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
If your barrel had been filled in, it most certainly would not fire blanks. Blanks still have a full powder charge. When fired, all of those high pressure gasses have to go somewhere. If the barrel is blocked, there is a good chance the gun could explode....or at the very least be severely damaged.
The gasses went out of the side of the cylinder. I fired it a number of times. You may be right it could have exploded, but the cylinder had been bored out at the end.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 17th February 2017 at 07:19 AM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 07:20 AM   #283
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

The gasses went out of the side of the cylinder. I fired it a number of times.
Then your lucky your gun didn't do this:

Boom!

Maybe it was the best thing the cops took your gun....before you lost a hand or an eye.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:21 AM   #284
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Seriously? Apart from being a public menace, you're lucky you didn't blow your hand off, or worse.

Assuming you are telling the truth.
Remember that the police tried to make me believe there was a hit man after me, That is why I started trying to acquire weapons.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 07:24 AM   #285
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You think I would bother to make something like that up?
I can assure you they took my gun.
Your claim that: "...The police told me that if I signed a waver they would keep the gun without charging me. ...."

No such process exists in the UK so that did not happen.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:28 AM   #286
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You can only be sectioned if you are considered a danger to yourself or others.
They tried to section me and failed because the psychiatrist they called in said he saw no reason to section me.
As I said your story is internally incoherent, that you apparently can't see that could explain why you believe what you have typed happened.

However because your claims keep getting wilder and wilder and suddenly new details are added (that you think explains problems people have brought up about your story) my opinion at the moment is that you are a serial liar and a fantasist that enjoys the attention your tall tales gain.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:30 AM   #287
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Your claim that: "...The police told me that if I signed a waver they would keep the gun without charging me. ...."

No such process exists in the UK so that did not happen.
I find it a bit irritating that you do not believe me, because I can assure you that's what they did. They said, and I quote.

"the man upstairs is not happy to let you have the gun back. So either you sign a waver and we keep the gun, or we will put it to the crown prosecution service "

That's as close as I can recall what they said.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 17th February 2017, 07:32 AM   #288
Scorpion
Muse

As I said your story is internally incoherent, that you apparently can't see that could explain why you believe what you have typed happened.

However because your claims keep getting wilder and wilder and suddenly new details are added (that you think explains problems people have brought up about your story) my opinion at the moment is that you are a serial liar and a fantasist that enjoys the attention your tall tales gain.
I know I cannot use bad language on this forum or I would.

I am not lying about anything.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 17th February 2017, 07:35 AM   #289
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I find it a bit irritating that you do not believe me, because I can assure you that's what they did. ...snip..
I would be more than happy to believe you and apologise for being wrong and accusing you of being a serial liar and fantasist once you provide some evidence, until then my opinion remains the same.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:37 AM   #290
fagin
Illuminator

Remember that the police tried to make me believe there was a hit man after me, That is why I started trying to acquire weapons.
I'm pretty sure they didn't.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:37 AM   #291
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I know I cannot use bad language on this forum or I would.

I am not lying about anything.
You want people to believe your tale, it is up to you to provide the evidence.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:38 AM   #292
Scorpion
Muse

I would be more than happy to believe you and apologise for being wrong and accusing you of being a serial liar and fantasist once you provide some evidence, until then my opinion remains the same.
I cannot very well give any evidence, even if I gave you my name and the name of the police station, the police would not confirm what I have said.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 17th February 2017, 07:39 AM   #293
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I cannot very well give any evidence, even if I gave you my name and the name of the police station, the police would not confirm what I have said.
Evidence for anything you have claimed would go some way to gain you some credence.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:40 AM   #294
Scorpion
Muse

You want people to believe your tale, it is up to you to provide the evidence.
I tried for at least two years to compel my ex employers to give me evidence and they only tried to get me locked up. They never replied to any of my correspondence.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 17th February 2017, 07:50 AM   #295
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

What was the make and model of the revolver? (if you remember) What caliber was it?
Old 17th February 2017, 07:50 AM   #296
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

NVM
Old 17th February 2017, 07:50 AM   #297
Scorpion
Muse

What was the make and model of the revolver? (if you remember) What caliber was it?
Webley 38
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 17th February 2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 17th February 2017, 07:54 AM   #298
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Webley 38
In the 80s, 90s when?
Old 17th February 2017, 07:58 AM   #299
Scorpion
Muse

In the 80s, 90s when?
My problems began in 1988 when the police investigated me, I got the gun some time after, probably 1989.

I believe it was a deactivated second world war officers revolver.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 17th February 2017, 08:00 AM   #300
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

Webley 38
Geez...you are really lucky you didn't grenade that sucker...considering the top strap of the Webley isn't connected to the frame at the rear. That would be one of the last guns I'd want to fire with a "squib load" or barrel obstruction.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:19 AM   #301
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

My problems began in 1988 when the police investigated me, I got the gun some time after, probably 1989.

I believe it was a deactivated second world war officers revolver.
Should have checked your dates before you committed them to a post.

For non-UK folk, in 1987 there was one of the most serious recent non-terrorist mass shootings in the UK, we know it as the Hungerford massacre .

As you may be aware we have had quite tight gun control laws for sometime and in light of that massacre awareness of gun ownership and public outrage were running very high. It is beyond unlikely that someone with a gun considered to be dangerous by the police (gun or person!) would not have been arrested and prosecuted at that time (I don't know about back then but certainly today that offence has to be charged and go to the relevant prosecution service). Yet we are expected to believe the police not only didn't do this but made up a "waver (sic)" to take his dangerous gun from him. No such "wavers" existed.

It's all a tissue of lies, and the lies will continue to get more elaborate and more ludicrous as people expose problems with his previous lies.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:24 AM   #302
Scorpion
Muse

Should have checked your dates before you committed them to a post.

For non-UK folk, in 1987 there was one of the most serious recent non-terrorist mass shootings in the UK, we know it as the Hungerford massacre .

As you may be aware we have had quite tight gun control laws for sometime and in light of that massacre awareness of gun ownership and public outrage were running very high. It is beyond unlikely that someone with a gun considered to be dangerous by the police (gun or person!) would not have been arrested and prosecuted at that time (I don't know about back then but certainly today that offence has to be charged and go to the relevant prosecution service). Yet we are expected to believe the police not only didn't do this but made up a "waver (sic)" to take his dangerous gun from him. No such "wavers" existed.

It's all a tissue of lies, and the lies will continue to get more elaborate and more ludicrous as people expose problems with his previous lies.
Crap ! It was a deactivated gun, and could not fire bullets, the only offence I committed was to put in a firing pin. The police probably did not think that warranted prosecution, or at least they decided not to because I let them keep the gun.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 17th February 2017, 08:29 AM   #303
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

Crap ! It was a deactivated gun, and could not fire bullets, the only offence I committed was to put in a firing pin. The police probably did not think that warranted prosecution, or at least they decided not to because I let them keep the gun.
The Webley doesn't have a separate firing pin. It's part of the hammer assembly:

Webley hammer
Old 17th February 2017, 08:29 AM   #304
Scorpion
Muse

I just checked the web and you can still buy deactivated hand guns. You can also legally own antique percussion pistols and flintlock pistols and rim fire pistols that work.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 17th February 2017, 08:30 AM   #305
Scorpion
Muse

The Webley doesn't have a separate firing pin. It's part of the hammer assembly:

Webley hammer
Nope, it slots into a slot in the hammer, I know because I made the firing pin. I looked at the link and that hammer is not the same as the type I had, it looks more modern.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 17th February 2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 17th February 2017, 08:38 AM   #306
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Damn it, now I'm replying to this thread when I said I wouldn't...
If we assume this is true... how does the fact that the police showed you much more leniency than they could have factor into your persecution complex?

If you think they had it in for you personally and were going out of their way to involve as many people as they could in an illegal plan to find or cause any offence they could book you for, then why would they let you go?

If you're not lying, you've just provided evidence against your conspiracy theory.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:43 AM   #307
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

Nope, it slots into a slot in the hammer, I know because I made the firing pin. I looked at the link and that hammer is not the same as the type I had, it looks more modern.
My mistake, although some of the .455 Webley's have a firing pin that was physically part of the hammer, and not removable (except with a saw) They are actually older models, not modern.

Here's one as you describe...you can see the pin that holds the firing pin in place.

Webley frame
Old 17th February 2017, 08:45 AM   #308
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Damn it, now I'm replying to this thread when I said I wouldn't...

If we assume this is true... how does the fact that the police showed you much more leniency than they could have factor into your persecution complex?

If you think they had it in for you personally and were going out of their way to involve as many people as they could in an illegal plan to find or cause any offence they could book you for, then why would they let you go?

If you're not lying, you've just provided evidence against your conspiracy theory.
As I said somewhere the police took my gun years after the original trouble, and I had moved away from the town where this all began. The police where I had moved to had occasion to search my flat thinking I might be guilty of something which I was not, and I do not think the officers that took my gun knew anything about my past.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 17th February 2017, 08:46 AM   #309
Scorpion
Muse

My mistake, although some of the .455 Webley's have a firing pin that was physically part of the hammer, and not removable (except with a saw) They are actually older models, not modern.

Here's one as you describe...you can see the pin that holds the firing pin in place.

Webley frame
Thanks.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 17th February 2017, 08:49 AM   #310
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

Thanks.
It's a good thing to be able to admit when you're wrong about something.
Old 17th February 2017, 09:05 AM   #311
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

As I said somewhere the police took my gun years after the original trouble, and I had moved away from the town where this all began. The police where I had moved to had occasion to search my flat thinking I might be guilty of something which I was not, and I do not think the officers that took my gun knew anything about my past.
But you claimed you saw the police of your new town conspire with your new neighbours to spy on you...

Actually, don't bother explaining it. Good luck dealing with your paranoid schizophrenia.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 09:12 AM   #312
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
But you claimed you saw the police of your new town conspire with your new neighbours to spy on you...

Actually, don't bother explaining it. Good luck dealing with your paranoid schizophrenia.
I might as well explain. The town I moved from was small and there were only about half a dozen officers, most of which were friends of the man I threatened. But the town I live in now is large and has a big police station that has dozens of officers. The two that dealt with my gun probably knew nothing about me. But it is my experience that other officers here do know my case.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 17th February 2017, 10:00 AM   #313
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I might as well explain. The town I moved from was small and there were only about half a dozen officers, most of which were friends of the man I threatened. But the town I live in now is large and has a big police station that has dozens of officers. The two that dealt with my gun probably knew nothing about me. But it is my experience that other officers here do know my case.
That is not because of a conspiracy. It is because the police have this thing called a database. Ever heard of those? It's called the Police National Computer.

See the word "National" in there? What do you suppose that means?

Think you name is in it? You bet your sweet bippy it is.

Why? Your various behaviours, that's why. Everywhere you go, if you give any cause for a cop to look up your name, they will find the history of your previous interactions. All of them.

That is not a conspiracy. That is simply the way the PNC works.
Old 17th February 2017, 01:58 PM   #314
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I just checked the web and you can still buy deactivated hand guns. You can also legally own antique percussion pistols and flintlock pistols and rim fire pistols that work.
And?
Old 17th February 2017, 03:31 PM   #315
fagin
Illuminator

And start firing your flintlock around the neighbourhood, and I guarantee the cops will be on you like a ton of bricks.
Old 17th February 2017, 04:16 PM   #316
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
And start firing your flintlock around the neighbourhood, and I guarantee the cops will be on you like a ton of bricks.
I find that notion odd (not yours). It is puzzling that our protagonist seems unable to understand...well anything much. If some yahoo wandered around my neighbourhood firing a gun, screaming at random strangers and accusing random passerbys of who knows what. I would call the cops immediately. That is scary behaviour.

Yet, our proponent, somehow believes some variation of this and is unable to see how scary this behaviour is.

Were it me, I would move someplace else. I have no desire to to inflict such nonsense upon my children.
Old 18th February 2017, 04:52 AM   #317
hgus
Critical Thinker

Do British police have drives to collect guns, "No questions asked"?
hgus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 05:17 AM   #318
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by hgus View Post
Do British police have drives to collect guns, "No questions asked"?
Occasionally, yes.

http://www.wiltshire.police.uk/depar...-a-gun-amnesty
Old 18th February 2017, 06:24 AM   #319
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

I'm taking a flier on that one!!!!! Explains everything!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2017, 09:06 AM   #320
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

A couple of years ago I accidentally carried a pocket knife through security at Gatwick and the Police were called, on that occasion I was required to sign a note in the officer's notebook to the effect that I was handing over the knife to be destroyed. It may have been something similar, today waving around a pistol, even a toy but certainly a blank firer would certainly be treated a lot more seriously but in 89 or so, shortly after the restrictions were tightened, if he wasn't actually waving it around when the police arrived and gave it up voluntarily.. Maybe, just possibly, perhaps, on your luckiest day ever.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal