ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Closed Thread
Old 8th January 2017, 10:46 PM   #1
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Brilliant Light Power Going To Market - Free Energy Generator

As I did with the now infamous Bitcoin thread back in 2011, I am here to make another prophecy that could be potentially lucrative. Bitcoin was worth $20 bucks a coin when I made my original post. Today it's worth around $900.

I'm here to let you know that free energy generators will be hitting the market within a year, with mass production ramping up rapidly within two years. If you're able to short energy sector stocks and hold the position long term, you will definitely make your money back.

I did a full article on the company doing it here, but I'll summarize the main points below.

The "essentially free" energy generator was created by a company called Brilliant Light Power (BrLP), that was founded by Dr. Randell Mills, a Harvard trained medical doctor.

In basic terms, the generator works by reacting a very tiny amount of hydrogen with a silver catalyst and then exposing that reaction to an electrical discharge. When the hydrogen, silver and electrical discharge combine, the hydrogen atoms shrink, releasing a tremendous amount of energy in the process. Using Mills process, a gallon of water has the same energy potential of around 2000 gallons of gasoline. The amount of hydrogen needed is so small that the generator can pull the hydrogen it needs from water in the surrounding air. This enormous release of energy is then used to basically form the filament of a carbon light bulb.

The carbon light bulb glows so brightly from the heat that it reaches the equivalent brightness of over 2000 suns, with the potential to go even higher in the future. The light bulb is surrounded by an array of special solar cells called concentrator solar cells that are able to harness the energy from this enormously bright light source. These special solar cells already exist and are in use in solar farms around the world today.

BrLP already has the “light bulb” portion of this generator fully prototyped and working. Obviously that’s the hard part since the rest of the parts for the generator already exist from off-the-shelf suppliers. Mills is projecting production units to be ready for delivery by the second half of 2017, with a fully prototyped working generator ready for field testing by the first half of 2017. Once Mills rolls out that first generator, be prepared for a monumental media **** storm to hit the public.

Now I'm sure many of you will scream, "IT'S A SCAM - THEY'VE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS!!!!!1111!! LSKDJFLSKDJFJ"

Don't be fooled by the naysayers who haven't done their homework like I have. They were wrong about Bitcoin and they are most certainly wrong about this as well.

You can watch a full public demo of the reactor here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjJYg4Abv50

I’ve been following BLP closely for nearly a decade now. I’m convinced Mills is the real deal. Contrary to what Forbes claims, numerous independent labs have verified his claims. He’s obtained funding from some of the wealthiest people on the planet, and he’s got a highly skilled team of engineers backing him. He doesn’t need any more investment capital so he’s got no reason to lie. Several university labs and independent investigators have replicated and validated Mills work:

Rowan University’s report
Rowan University’s report II
UNC Asheville’s report
University of Illinois report

It’s also worth taking a look at Brilliant Light’s board of directors. These people don’t strike me as the type of people who are willing to throw their lives away over fraud charges:

H. McIntyre Gardner’s profile from Bloomberg:
  • Chairman of Spirit Airlines
  • Chairman of Merrill Lynch Bank USA
  • Chairman of Merrill Lynch Life Insurance Company and Transamerica Advisors Life Insurance Company of New York
  • Director of Isola Group, SARL
  • President of the Board of Trustees at the Princeton Charter School

James E. Canty J.D.’s profile from Bloomberg:
  • President and General Counsel at Clough Capital Partners
  • Associate General Counsel, Corporate Secretary, and Director of Investor Relations at Converse Inc.
  • Corporate and Securities Lawyer at Goldstein & Manello
  • Certified Public Accountant at KPMG

John J. Gillen’s profile from Bloomberg:
  • Global Director of Finance at Towers Perrin
  • Chief Financial Officer and Senior Vice President of Dayton Power and Light Co.
  • Partner, PricewaterhouseCoopers
  • Member of the Office of the Chief Accountant of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission

Jeremy Hux’s article from Yahoo Finance:
  • Managing director and global head of clean technology investment banking for Credit Suisse
  • President of HCP Advisors
  • Head of West Coast Clean Technology for Morgan Stanley

Barbara A. Nabial’s profile from Bloomberg:
  • Senior Audit Manager with Deloitte & Touche

And let’s not forget Mills, who has a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Chemistry, summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Franklin & Marshall College, and a Doctor of Medicine Degree from Harvard Medical School. He also did graduate engineering coursework at MIT.

If you’d like to learn more about the backstory to Mills incredible scientific achievement, a book on the subject was recently released by one of his former employees.

BrLP has contracted with Columbia Tech to have them do the prototype and manufacturing workups. CT’s Chief Technology Officer is projecting initial field testing of prototype units to take place in 6 months, with pilot commercial units available 6 months after initial field testing completes. Phase 1A design began on November 1st.

Masimo Semiconductor is responsible for creating the commercial photovoltaic converter comprising a denser receiver array of concentrator multijunction photovoltaic cells that will wrap around the black-body light source. Masimo’s Head of Business Development is projecting the photovoltaic array to be ready for the prototype field tests on time. They expect delivery of the first photovoltaic array on Jan 13. So perhaps a fully working prototype generator will be wheeled out for a public demo sometime in the near future.

You can see the presentations from the reps from Masimo and CT, along with several other important players here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=fDJo833cGV0

Last edited by michaelsuede; 8th January 2017 at 10:48 PM.
michaelsuede is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 10:53 PM   #2
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds amazing. What's the patent number so I can look it up?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 10:56 PM   #3
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Sounds amazing. What's the patent number so I can look it up?
I believe BrLP has dozens, if not hundreds of patents filed. So you might need to be more specific.
michaelsuede is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 10:59 PM   #4
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by michaelsuede View Post
I believe BrLP has dozens, if not hundreds of patents filed. So you might need to be more specific.
I don't know enough about it to be more specific. What did you have in mind when you were talking about "doing the homework?"

Maybe I could just do a patent search under whatever BrLP stands for?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 10:59 PM   #5
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

It's true that they haven't been saying the same thing for ten years. It's far longer than that.

I wonder if the brightness of 2000 suns might be a bit optimistic.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 11:05 PM   #6
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It's true that they haven't been saying the same thing for ten years. It's far longer than that.

Maybe they are very small suns?

ETA: I searched the patent database for Randell L. Mills as inventor or applicant and didn't find anything.

ETA2: Wiki has this: A 2000 patent based on its hydrino-related technology[39][40] was later withdrawn by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) due to contradictions with known physics laws and other concerns about the viability of the described processes, citing Park and others.[37]

A column by Robert L. Park[37][41] and an outside query by an unknown person[42] prompted Group Director Esther Kepplinger of the USPTO to review this new patent herself. Kepplinger said that her "main concern was the proposition that the applicant was claiming the electron going to a lower orbital in a fashion that I knew was contrary to the known laws of physics and chemistry", and that the patent appeared to involve cold fusion and perpetual motion.[41] Kepplinger contacted another Director, Robert Spar, who also expressed doubts on the patentability of the patent application. This caused the USPTO to withdraw from issue the patent application before it was granted and re-open it for review, and to withdraw four related applications, including one for a hydrino power plant.

So now I do want to know if there are any patents issued. Any at all.

Last edited by marplots; 8th January 2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 8th January 2017, 11:05 PM   #7
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

That's actually a conservative estimate. They can easily go up to 10,000 suns power. Peak power output during a test shot of the reactor was 5 million watts, with a sustained output of over a million watts.
Old 8th January 2017, 11:11 PM   #8
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Maybe they are very small suns?

ETA: I searched the patent database for Randell L. Mills as inventor or applicant and didn't find anything.
Here's the primary reactor patent, but there are many more

http://gpsn.uspto.gov/#/patent/q=%22...d:CN101679025A
Old 8th January 2017, 11:14 PM   #9
sts60
Master Poster

I don't know if it's a scam, but it is baloney. The proposed fundamental mechanism is nonsense, and the description of the "light bulb" is gibberish. As for the appeal to authority by listing resumes, lots of intelligent people have been fooled by free energy scams and free energy sincerely-believed voodoo science.

No, it will not work, and this bunch will not produce a working model this year, nor any other year.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 11:19 PM   #10
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
I don't know if it's a scam, but it is baloney. The proposed fundamental mechanism is nonsense, and the description of the "light bulb" is gibberish. As for the appeal to authority by listing resumes, lots of intelligent people have been fooled by free energy scams and free energy sincerely-believed voodoo science.

No, it will not work, and this bunch will not produce a working model this year, nor any other year.
Well, you can listen to this guy, or you can see it run with your own two eyes. The reactor can achieve a self-sustaining mode when the silver vapor pressure becomes adequate. Meaning you can shut off all external power to the reactor and the reaction will sustain itself. Here's a video looking into the reactor demonstrating this effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUBheBH9eio
Old 8th January 2017, 11:24 PM   #11
sts60
Master Poster

Nope. The proposed basic mechanism is nonsense. I can watch lots of YouTube videos that purport to show things that aren't actually what the posters claim; this is no different.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 11:28 PM   #12
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Nope. The proposed basic mechanism is nonsense. I can watch lots of YouTube videos that purport to show things that aren't actually what the posters claim; this is no different.
Well, it's obviously not nonsense given that Mills is producing 5 million watt bursts of energy in a space the size of a coffee cup.

This is no longer a debate about theory. This is a fully working prototype that's dumping out enough power to VAPORIZE 1/4" thick tungsten rods within seconds. No power source known to man is capable of doing that.
Old 8th January 2017, 11:33 PM   #13
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the primary reactor patent, but there are many more

http://gpsn.uspto.gov/#/patent/q=%22...d:CN101679025A
Thanks. That looks like a Chinese patent, but further research on my part unearthed a US patent application (which I gather was subsequently rejected). It has more than 300 claims.

I'm starting to see why people aren't doing the homework - it's a lot of homework!

Anyhow, here's the one I found: https://www.google.com.na/patents/US20060233699
Old 9th January 2017, 01:48 AM   #14
Her Dark Star
Scholar

I hope you're right, but it seems very unlikely. Mills seems to have been making the same claims since at least 1991, has received tens of millions of funding in that time, but also appears to have failed to ever produce any actual product.
The basic hypothesis is that what was believed to be the ground state of a hydrogen atom is not actually the ground state, so you can still extract energy from it.
I haven't managed to find anything online to support this notion, I'm not a physicist of course, but it's clear that lots of notable physicists have dismissed the concept as fundamentally flawed. It appears to be a relic from the Cold Fusion idea's of the 70's and 80's and despite being talked about for decades Mills seems to be the only person who believes it.
I really hope that you're right, but he has made the same claims over and over again, that he's going to produce something in the next year, then the next year etc for the last 25 years, with nothing to show for it.
I'd suggest that this isn't worth paying attention to until he actually manages to produce something commercially viable.

You want to learn about God and the infinite mysteries of the universe? Try looking up from your outdated book of fables and look at the world around you.
Her Dark Star is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 07:56 AM   #15
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The last video is interesting, in that it is entirely uninformative. Something is shown, but it's your guess what.

It's not uncommon for very rich investors to throw some money into highly speculative and unlikely ventures. Being rich and influential does not prevent you from being misled, but aside from that, if you have enormous amounts of money, the risk-reward ratio is different. Even if the likelihood of success is tiny, and the likelihood of waste is nearly certain, it's no real risk at all, the more so if losses can eventually be deducted from taxes. An impressive list of investors is proof of very little.

So far what we have (or what I see, not willing to waste hours on those videos) is a presumed scheme whereby a device generates incredibly large amounts of electricity which are then used to light a light bulb which does not, apparently, yet exist, so the light, minus the enormous amount of heat, can be used to run solar panels, which themselves, unless there's some new and undocumented technology involved, have an energy efficiency well below 50 percent. Something about that scheme seems odd.

Did you try to read the text of the cited patent? It is ungrammatical gibberish. I suppose it might have been translated from the Chinese, but if the inventor was not Chinese, why is it not checked for intelligibility? That also seems a little odd.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 08:02 AM   #16
Hans
Philosopher

....is this the old 'blacklight' scam that has been around 20+ years?

Edited to add:

A search finds that yes it is the old blacklight scam with the same actors from 2003

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...read.php?t=399

and here it is again in 2010

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=194863

It was complete nonsense then and it still is.

Last edited by Hans; 9th January 2017 at 08:16 AM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 08:19 AM   #17
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Third time lucky.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 08:22 AM   #18
catsmate
No longer the 1

This. In fact Mills's claims are an out-and-out fraud, a holdover from the cold fusion nonsense of more than 25 years ago and have been thoroughly debunked. It's utter rubbish.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 08:34 AM   #19
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post

Edited to add:

A search finds that yes it is the old blacklight scam with the same actors from 2003

Latest patent application from 2016 and the corresponding opinion.

Looks like bunk.
Old 9th January 2017, 08:50 AM   #20
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...

So far what we have (or what I see, not willing to waste hours on those videos) is a presumed scheme whereby a device generates incredibly large amounts of electricity which are then used to light a light bulb which does not, apparently, yet exist, so the light, minus the enormous amount of heat, can be used to run solar panels, which themselves, unless there's some new and undocumented technology involved, have an energy efficiency well below 50 percent. Something about that scheme seems odd.

...snip...
Yep, like why not plug it straight into something that needs electricity, why the extra step that from the description would just reduce the amount of energy you'd get out of the generator.
Old 9th January 2017, 08:52 AM   #21
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

That's actually a conservative estimate. They can easily go up to 10,000 suns power. Peak power output during a test shot of the reactor was 5 million watts, with a sustained output of over a million watts.
That's nothing! I created a device the size of a shot glass that has a sustained output of over a billion watts and runs off an improbability drive. The more unlikely you think such a device can exist- the more power it generates! My company is called "Galactic Core." I have over 1500 patents filed- too many to bother to specify here. There are just a few details we need to sort out before we hit the global market in Fall of this year, such as if we need to preserve the ability of the device to also hold a dram of whiskey.

It must be true- why should I lie? And I have the entire US Senate on my corporate board and who can testify that I am telling you the truth, although they have been asked to deny being members for now until we can go fully commercial.

Nonetheless I am not asking for any investment in Galactic Core at this time. But I do have money-printing machine that members here can purchase of $99.98 (buy before midnight tonight and I will include a second one free, plus shipping and handling). They produce absolutely authentic USA currency from plain paper with no limits. I wish I did not have to, but I must sell these money printers: I need the quick cash.

I almost forgot to mention- I am also developing a flying car. We will be opening showrooms in time for Christmas 2017.

Last edited by Giordano; 9th January 2017 at 08:55 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 08:56 AM   #22
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it's obviously not nonsense given that Mills is producing 5 million watt bursts of energy in a space the size of a coffee cup.

This is no longer a debate about theory. This is a fully working prototype that's dumping out enough power to VAPORIZE 1/4" thick tungsten rods within seconds. No power source known to man is capable of doing that.
Amazing! Unbelievable!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 08:59 AM   #23
Whip
Muse

one can get a patent for almost anything. doesn't mean it's viable.
Whip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 09:08 AM   #24
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

I recall looking at mills claims since the early 1990ies. Black light power they were named.
And no matter what the op says about naysayer, it was looked in properly and nothing came out of it.

As for the monstrosity on how they "calculated" hydrinos, you can look the article for yourself. Let us say, that I expect them to be as good in free energy for this year or the next , as they were in the last 25+.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 09:17 AM   #25
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Whip View Post
one can get a patent for almost anything. doesn't mean it's viable.
I thought that the US patent office specifically didn't issue patents for over unity devices.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 09:29 AM   #26
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

To give you an idea of what 5 MW for something the size of a cup is , look at the order of magnitude involved.

5 MW from something the size of a coffee cup. A US cup is around 250 centimeter (1/4 liter). Assuming a regular repartitions in a cube, each faces will be 7cm^2 (6.2 cm^2 but whatever). That will be 42 cm^2. I will say 50 cm^2 because it makes it easier. That is 100 kJ.s-1.cm-1 on each cubes faces. Most metal metal within seconds as most have a latent heat of fusion of a few hundred of kJ.kg-1 so order of magnitude lower than what the casing is receiving per cm^-2. I am pretty sure you can see the problem here.

I am betting that the 5 MW is either an extrapolation from measurement error (to be very generous) or a misunderstanding from you (again to be generous).

ETA: or the burst is sooooo small in time that the energy involved are very small like burst laser which have GW of power, but emit in kJ total. - which naturally belie your claim it could not be done with a normal source -

ETA:ETA and in case you are wondering I am only entertaining you as I think they are a scam which should have looooong been dropped.

Last edited by Aepervius; 9th January 2017 at 09:33 AM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 09:45 AM   #27
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
I thought that the US patent office specifically didn't issue patents for over unity devices.
It wouldn't be an over unity device if the hydrogen fuel begins in the ground state and ends up in some hypothetical below-ground (subterranean?) state.

It's actual problem is that these lower energy states for hydrogen haven't been shown to exist.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 09:59 AM   #28
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

The key to Mill's scam is, he's not actually claiming an "over unity device". He's asserting that he's found a new source of energy, which we can exploit to produce electricity. It's like fission power back in the 40s, essentially. As such, the patent office can't simply dismiss it out of hand for being a perpetual motion machine. They have to actually get into the nitty-gritty of the physics behind his claimed invention, which is much harder.

Of course:

Originally Posted by Hans View Post

Edited to add:

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Third time lucky.

... that assumes his "new source" isn't a scam. But it pretty much is. This is his business model: File patents, scam investors, wait a few years, then repeat. He's been on this 3-to-7 year cycle for 30 years now. Every cycle, he re-writes his patent applications using new terminology, or claiming some new use that is classified differently by the patent office, in hopes of finding an examiner who hasn't heard about him yet, and getting a patent issued.

He's also been accumulating an ever-increasing pile of ******** that the examiner has to wade through:

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Latest patent application from 2016 and the corresponding opinion.

Looks like bunk.
Did you try to read the text of the cited patent? It is ungrammatical gibberish. I suppose it might have been translated from the Chinese, but if the inventor was not Chinese, why is it not checked for intelligibility? That also seems a little odd.

Nothing odd at all. It's an essential feature of his application. Canada and the US are much more tolerant of gibberish in their patent applications than many other jurisdictions, and he relies on that in hopes of swamping the examiner. He knows the examiner doesn't have unlimited amounts of time to read literally hundreds of pages of crap in detail, and he hopes the examiner will just take the lazy way out of issuing the patent.
Old 9th January 2017, 10:19 AM   #29
sts60
Master Poster

Well, it's not like we've studied the hydrogen atom in any detail. This sub-ground state could be lurking out there, unknown by mainstream science, in much the same way that modern mathematics has overlooked the possibility of a hitherto unknown integer between 0 and 1.
Old 9th January 2017, 10:28 AM   #30
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

The last video is interesting, in that it is entirely uninformative. Something is shown, but it's your guess what.

It's not uncommon for very rich investors to throw some money into highly speculative and unlikely ventures. Being rich and influential does not prevent you from being misled, but aside from that, if you have enormous amounts of money, the risk-reward ratio is different. Even if the likelihood of success is tiny, and the likelihood of waste is nearly certain, it's no real risk at all, the more so if losses can eventually be deducted from taxes. An impressive list of investors is proof of very little.

I now realize that I had the same idea in regard to this part of the scheme when I was age 8: put solar cells around a light bulb to produce a perpetual energy machine. Damn- I should have patented it then! But of course science hadn't discovered the sub-ground state of hydrogen back then... in fact not even now.

Simply put: I believe that the more complicated the generator the more it can generate... investment.
Old 9th January 2017, 10:40 AM   #31
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Well, you can listen to this guy, or you can see it run with your own two eyes [snip]
By exactly the same criteria I have seen "with my own two eyes" fantastic magical creatures, wizards, huge space battles, werewolves, vampires, and British police boxes with their interior much larger than their exterior. In fact many of these were more convincing.

Oh- my apologies- my first reaction was to take you seriously. Sorry.
Old 9th January 2017, 11:05 AM   #32
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Well, it's not like we've studied the hydrogen atom in any detail. This sub-ground state could be lurking out there, unknown by mainstream science, in much the same way that modern mathematics has overlooked the possibility of a hitherto unknown integer between 0 and 1.

Snark is fun and all, but the patent office has a problem: Every once in a long while, someone does find "a hitherto unknown integer between 0 and 1". And even though actual instances of that are far less common than people being either mistaken, crazy or fraudulent, they can't assume a priori that any particular case falls into one of those categories.

Back when radioactivity was first discovered, the notion was that atoms were indivisible, and that transmutations of one element into another were nothing more than the fantasies of alchemists. Then things changed.

Of course, the big difference here is, once the above discoveries were announced, almost anyone who had the right equipment could reproduce the results, and even expand on them, producing new results. These BLP guys have rather spectacularly failed at that part of the process.
Old 9th January 2017, 11:06 AM   #33
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Since the ground state is simply defined, there's no reason in theory it could not be lower.

Edited by Darat:  Rule 11 material edited.

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to correct UBBcode

Last edited by Agatha; 10th January 2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 9th January 2017, 11:16 AM   #34
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Setting aside the possibility of bad fiction, I am concerned that the EPA will put the brakes on the whole enterprise. I haven't seen any reporting on the environmental impact of hydrino production. If these are just going to be released into the environment I would like to see what the impact will be. As far as I can tell there isn't even a material safety data sheet available for hydrinos.

How will he handle the lawsuits when people's balls start falling off because of hydrino exposure? The liability concerns make me extremely wary. We should not assume that even fictional particles will not spawn fictional ailments but absolutely real lawsuits.

Has Mills addressed any of this? (And what happened to Yang? Did they part ways?)
Old 9th January 2017, 11:30 AM   #35
ynot
Philosopher

As I did with the now infamous Bitcoin thread back in 2011, I am here to make another prophecy that could be potentially lucrative. Bitcoin was worth $20 bucks a coin when I made my original post. Today it's worth around $900.
So you purchased a truckload of Bitcoins at $20 bucks and now you're a multi-millionaire - right?

I'm here to let you know that free energy generators will be hitting the market within a year, with mass production ramping up rapidly within two years. If you're able to short energy sector stocks and hold the position long term, you will definitely make your money back.
So you've purchased a truckload of Brilliant Light Power stock and you're gonna be a multi-billionaire - right?
Old 9th January 2017, 11:36 AM   #36
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Your faith in the standard model, and in the ability of theoreticians to make predictive discoveries based on it, is grossly misplaced.

And yet, you express faith in a fellow who's been making these "Commercial product within a year" claims for almost 20 years now, without ever actually delivering anything.

December 1999:

Quote:
BlackLight Power is in discussions with DaimlerChrysler, and three major corporations are already examining materials it has produced, say Mills and company executives.

In the next year, Mills promises, the revolution will be "hydrinoized."

"I'll have demonstrated an entirely new form of energy production by the end of 2000," Mills responds

May 2008:

Quote:
They expect to have pilot plants built and devices ready for delivery in 12-18 months.
January 2009:

Quote:
Last year BlackLight announced that it had a prototype reactor capable of putting out 50 kilowatts of thermal power using a tiny amount of hydrogen. The company said that the device releases energy in one short burst and that itís working to make the reaction continuous. It also said it planned to scale up for pilot operation sometime this year, estimating that its technology could produce electricity for under 2 cents per kilowatt-hour.

May 2012:

Quote:
Now in 2012, Dr. Mills says that BlackLight has achieved critical milestones in scaling its new technology with typical electrical gain of more than ten times that which initiates the process, operating over long duration at the 10 Watt (W) scale. A 100 W unit is planned for completion by the end of 2012, and a 1.5 kiloWatt (kW) pilot unit that can serve the residential power market, as an initial target commercial application, is expected to be operational by 2013.

He's been making the exact same "This year for sure!" claims every few years for literally decades now. At what point do you start assuming he's more likely wrong than more likely right?
Old 9th January 2017, 11:38 AM   #37
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
So you purchased a truckload of Bitcoins at $20 bucks and now you're a multi-millionaire - right?
I'm doing quite well.

Originally Posted by ynot View Post
So you've purchased a truckload of Brilliant Light Power stock and you're gonna be a multi-billionaire - right?
Since they aren't a public company, you have to be a certified private investor to invest in them. The best the public can do is short the energy sector over the next couple of years.
Old 9th January 2017, 11:42 AM   #38
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Setting aside the possibility of bad fiction, I am concerned that the EPA will put the brakes on the whole enterprise. I haven't seen any reporting on the environmental impact of hydrino production. If these are just going to be released into the environment I would like to see what the impact will be. As far as I can tell there isn't even a material safety data sheet available for hydrinos.

How will he handle the lawsuits when people's balls start falling off because of hydrino exposure? The liability concerns make me extremely wary. We should not assume that even fictional particles will not spawn fictional ailments but absolutely real lawsuits.

Has Mills addressed any of this? (And what happened to Yang? Did they part ways?)
And is there any possibility that hydrinos, once formed, might behave like Ice 9, or like prions, and begin to nucleate formation of ever more hydrinos in the atoms around them? Think of the environmental impact of such a thing!

This is why my own, improbability drive generator is so much better- if a problem arises as to pollution or safety, as soon as people believe that such problems exist they will go away automatically; disbelieve is required for the entire process and once one believes it generates pollutants they will disappear.
Old 9th January 2017, 11:45 AM   #39
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I'm doing quite well.

Since they aren't a public company, you have to be a certified private investor to invest in them. The best the public can do is short the energy sector over the next couple of years.
Years? Your OP states that it will hit the market within a year. Time is of the essence!
Old 9th January 2017, 11:49 AM   #40
michaelsuede
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
He's been making the exact same "This year for sure!" claims every few years for literally decades now. At what point do you start assuming he's more likely wrong than more likely right?
Yeah, I stated in the OP that there would be plenty of naysayers who haven't done their homework claiming what you just claimed.

Mills did have a product ready to go commercial back in 2009. This product was called the CHIT cell. This was a much bulkier, far less powerful, far more expensive type of generator.

Mills decided against taking this to market after discovering new novel properties of the hydrino that allowed for far greater amounts of energy to be produced around the time the CHIT cell was being planned for production.

Rather than spend the money on a commercial launch of the CIHT cell, Mills decided to spend his investment capital on further research. This eventually lead to the creation of the SunCell type generator described in the OP.

For comparison, the CHIT cell prototype generator was producing 10 watts of continuous power. The SunCell prototype reactor is dumping out 1 million watts continuous power, with a planned 100 kw generator output.

Investment capital is limited. Obviously Mills made the right choice when he decided to focus on SunCell development rather than taking the CHIT cell to market.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology