ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 25th January 2017, 12:37 PM   #81
Civet
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't think Trump is quite as smart as you make him out to be.
I think he's something like a savant. I don't believe he works all this out intellectually, he just instinctively knows how to make the right moves to get the results he wants. It helps that his desired results are narrowly self-centered.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 12:59 PM   #82
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Jesus Christ... "I'd like the border patrol and homeland security people to know I'm behind them 100%" (stop there... stop there... stop there...) "and not just because they all unanimously voted for me."

Last edited by alfaniner; 25th January 2017 at 01:03 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 01:11 PM   #83
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Oh for Pity's sake, the Trump speech is nothing but a campaign speech full of the same crappy lies and the main news stations are all covering it live as if it was really news worthy.

Listen to the language: "We are going to 'ask for' blah blah blah..."

The room full of cheerleaders were as staged as a pageant.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 01:21 PM   #84
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
My wife was just pointing out that East Germany managed to get West Germany to pay for their wall.

Well, at least the "tearing it back down again" part of it.

ETA: At any rate, the average Mexican is probably looking north right now and saying "Maybe now is not the best time to go there."
Do what the Celts did with Hadrians Wall, get in a boat and go round the end.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 01:23 PM   #85
Bob001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Back during the campaign, he threatened to block remittances until Mexico pays a lump fee to fund the wall. Since those make up a significant piece of Mexico's economy, it really would put a lot of pressure on Mexico if he could pull it off.
I doubt it would be legal or practical (would that mean U.S. companies couldn't pay their Mexican suppliers?), but even then, I'm sure rules could be circumvented by sending money to accounts in another country to be forwarded to Mexican recipients (with fat fees getting charged at every step). This is all just noise, but the Trumpets seem to lap it up.

Last edited by Bob001; 25th January 2017 at 01:24 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 01:29 PM   #86
Bob001
Illuminator

People already talking about the endgame:
http://www.salon.com/2017/01/25/dont...t-impeachment/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 01:30 PM   #87
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I doubt it would be legal or practical (would that mean U.S. companies couldn't pay their Mexican suppliers?), but even then, I'm sure rules could be circumvented by sending money to accounts in another country to be forwarded to Mexican recipients (with fat fees getting charged at every step). This is all just noise, but the Trumpets seem to lap it up.
It remains to be seen how much of this is just Political Theater;he will still have to get congress to pay for the wall.
And it is no secret that a lot of GOP congress people think the Wall is a stupid boondoggle.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 01:31 PM   #88
Civet
Critical Thinker

An outright ban probably wouldn't work, but a substantial tax could be legal and viable as long as it wasn't significantly higher than the total cost of circumventing it. Presumably corporations would be exempt.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 01:42 PM   #89
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Technology is always used to circumvent such obstacles. Someday someone will invent the rope. Or they may go really high-tech and finally invent the ladder.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 01:49 PM   #90
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Back during the campaign, he threatened to block remittances until Mexico pays a lump fee to fund the wall. Since those make up a significant piece of Mexico's economy, it really would put a lot of pressure on Mexico if he could pull it off.
The problem is how to do so without also impacting transfer payments to subsidiary companies based in Mexico to keep supply chains functioning. I would imagine that might be a big part of the 'significant piece of Mexico's economy' referred to, possibly more-so than the 'illegal immigrants sending their ill begotten money back home to stuff under their mattresses' sort of nonsense that people use to make this all seem like an exercise in 'squaring the scales of justice.'

With the "just in time" business model of far-flung supply chains, it won't be long before downstream U.S. workers are laid off, then more overhead/office types when inventory empties and sales drop off a cliff.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 25th January 2017 at 01:51 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 02:05 PM   #91
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Canadian biologist names new species of moth, Neopalpa donaldtrumpi.

It has a fuzzy head and
Quote:
The study also showed that the Neopalpa donaldtrumpi has, “comparatively smaller” male genitalia than its relative, the Neopalpa neonata.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 02:06 PM   #92
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Canadian biologist names new species of moth, Neopalpa donaldtrumpi.

It has a fuzzy head and
Donald will try to sue.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 02:07 PM   #93
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
The problem is how to do so without also impacting transfer payments to subsidiary companies based in Mexico to keep supply chains functioning. I would imagine that might be a big part of the 'significant piece of Mexico's economy' referred to, possibly more-so than the 'illegal immigrants sending their ill begotten money back home to stuff under their mattresses' sort of nonsense that people use to make this all seem like an exercise in 'squaring the scales of justice.'

With the "just in time" business model of far-flung supply chains, it won't be long before downstream U.S. workers are laid off, then more overhead/office types when inventory empties and sales drop off a cliff.
There is such a thing as people's rights and due process. King Trump imagines he can implement such a ban, but that's ludicrous.
Old 25th January 2017, 02:08 PM   #94
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Donald will try to sue.
No doubt he does have his name trademarked. I hope he tries, more publicity for the joke.
Old 25th January 2017, 02:09 PM   #95
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

First Mexico will pay for the wall, now it's, "will absolutely pay us back." Such an imagination.
Old 25th January 2017, 02:13 PM   #96
Civet
Critical Thinker

Oklahoma made about $12 million in a year off of a 1% fee on person-to-person out-of-state wire transfers. Oklahoma taxpayers are can claim it as a tax credit, so it mostly hits undocumented workers. Doesn't even apply to wire transfers sent through a bank. Scale that up nationwide and that's serious money. Not crazy-wall-on-the-border money, maybe, but hardly a pittance.
Old 25th January 2017, 02:17 PM   #97
Spindrift

Oklahoma made about $12 million in a year off of a 1% fee on person-to-person out-of-state wire transfers. Oklahoma taxpayers are can claim it as a tax credit, so it mostly hits undocumented workers. Doesn't even apply to wire transfers sent through a bank. Scale that up nationwide and that's serious money. Not crazy-wall-on-the-border money, maybe, but hardly a pittance.
So he's going to stop people from Mexico coming in and he's going to pay for it by charging the people from Mexico who come in, a wire transfer fee? There might be a problem with that scenario.
Old 25th January 2017, 02:19 PM   #98
Civet
Critical Thinker

No, this is just talking about the money workers send home. It's a lot. Some of these guys here in LA live pretty poorly so they can send a large portion of their earnings to their families.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/doliaest.../#39a07c7703b3
Old 25th January 2017, 02:24 PM   #99
Civet
Critical Thinker

So he's going to stop people from Mexico coming in and he's going to pay for it by charging the people from Mexico who come in, a wire transfer fee? There might be a problem with that scenario.
The funding plan works because the wall won't actually stop people from coming in to work. It's a combination security theater/jobs creation scheme. Also makes the coyotes a more essential part of the process which will create jobs in Mexico.
Old 25th January 2017, 02:46 PM   #100
Bob001
Illuminator

No, this is just talking about the money workers send home. It's a lot. Some of these guys here in LA live pretty poorly so they can send a large portion of their earnings to their families.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/doliaest.../#39a07c7703b3
Yeah, I get what they're talking about. My question is whether there are legal and financial mechanisms that can stop it without obstructing desirable transactions, like payments for Mexican goods and services. If they make wire transfers harder, can they keep people from mailing money orders to Mexican addresses? Or packages of cash? Or sending guys across the border with suitcases full of cash in individually addressed envelopes? Will people leaving the country be searched for money? And I can't imagine how they could keep people from sending money to an account in another country to be forwarded without having a massive negative effect on all commerce. What I can imagine are a lot of bad things growing out of efforts to impose limits, including robbery and fraud.

This is just stupidity. And I note once again that in all the chatter about "send'em home" and "build a wall" and "block their money," the Repubs aren't talking about making e-verify mandatory, with penalties for non-compliance, because that would hurt the businesses that depend on and benefit from low-paid illegal workers.
Old 25th January 2017, 02:58 PM   #101
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Even if some legal mechanism lets them hit individuals but not businesses, Mexico can retaliate in a way that puts a squeeze on some baby boomers retirement investments and all they can do is set their alarms for 2:45 am, put on some coffee and watch their President rant about it on Twitter.

ETA: For those who think Obama caused us to 'lose respect' in the rest of the world, oh just you wait.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 04:10 PM   #102
Civet
Critical Thinker

Yeah, I get what they're talking about. My question is whether there are legal and financial mechanisms that can stop it without obstructing desirable transactions, like payments for Mexican goods and services. If they make wire transfers harder, can they keep people from mailing money orders to Mexican addresses? Or packages of cash? Or sending guys across the border with suitcases full of cash in individually addressed envelopes? Will people leaving the country be searched for money? And I can't imagine how they could keep people from sending money to an account in another country to be forwarded without having a massive negative effect on all commerce. What I can imagine are a lot of bad things growing out of efforts to impose limits, including robbery and fraud.
Agreed. A complete ban on remittances would be a ridiculous nightmare for everyone but currency smugglers and bitcoin investors. A tax, though, could be done by just copying the Oklahoma model. Cut the states in for a piece of the action so they won't complain too much.

This is just stupidity. And I note once again that in all the chatter about "send'em home" and "build a wall" and "block their money," the Repubs aren't talking about making e-verify mandatory, with penalties for non-compliance, because that would hurt the businesses that depend on and benefit from low-paid illegal workers.
Well, yes. That would make sense if your actual goal was to reduce the number of illegal workers. No one wants to do anything crazy like that.
Old 25th January 2017, 04:47 PM   #103
sts60
Master Poster

...For those who think Obama caused us to 'lose respect' in the rest of the world, oh just you wait.
Why wait?
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 04:58 PM   #104
Marcus
Master Poster

A wire transfer fee on the money sent home, plus redacting some of the financial aide money sent to Mexico. I don't know if anyone has figured out how many centuries that would take, the cost of a wall is yuge.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 05:12 PM   #105
Marcus
Master Poster

The proposed wall would be 2000 miles long, as opposed to 5500 for the great wall of China , so I wouldn't say it's not possible from an engineering standpoint, but it seems unlikely.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 05:15 PM   #106
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
The proposed wall would be 2000 miles long, as opposed to 5500 for the great wall of China , so I wouldn't say it's not possible from an engineering standpoint, but it seems unlikely.
China's Great Wall isn't nearly tall enough to keep people out. Trump's wall has to be much taller and probably a different design.
Old 25th January 2017, 05:16 PM   #107
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

You might want to recheck some of the terrain.
Old 25th January 2017, 05:20 PM   #108
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The always smart and practical Dutch have sent an introductionary video to Teh Donald, to avoid being bombed by accident - they understood that the danger now might be larger than back when it was only the announced punishment for starting trials against Yankistanis in their cute "courts".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 25th January 2017, 05:21 PM   #109
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Another Forbes article explains how Trump probably could make 'Mexicans' (as opposed to 'Mexico') pay for building the Wall by levying a tax. Two problems:
  1. If the tax was fairly high it would invite efforts to circumvent it by using third country transfers.

2. Estimates for the cost of the Wall are in the ten billion range so paying for it via a money transfer tax would take decades.
Quote:
A tax that imposed a significant burden would only end up driving Mexico-bound remittances to “informal” channels or to circuitous routes via third countries. Perhaps a 1 percent tax collected from banks and money transfer operators, such as Western Union and MoneyGram, could generate revenues of $100 million to $150 million, after leakages to the untaxed sector. link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 05:27 PM   #110
Stacko
Philosopher

The wall is a 14th century solution to a 21st century problem.

Quote:
"The facts have not changed," Hurd said. "Building a wall is the most expensive and least effective way to secure the border. Each section of the border faces unique geographical, cultural and technological challenges that would be best addressed with a flexible, sector-by-sector approach that empowers the agents on the ground with the resources they need."

Besides, the unforgiving border terrain won't allow for such construction, he added. As such, building a wall is an "impossible" dream.

"A wall may be an effective tool in densely populated areas, but a variety of tools are needed between Brownsville, Texas and San Diego, California," Hurd said. "The 23rd District of Texas, which I represent has over 800 miles of the border, more than any other Member and it is impossible to build a physical wall in much of its terrain."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 05:28 PM   #111
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
China's Great Wall isn't nearly tall enough to keep people out. Trump's wall has to be much taller and probably a different design.
True, the Great Wall maxes out at 26 feet, and they are talking about a border wall 40 ft high plus 7 ft underground. Construction techniques and equipment have advanced though, I think the new wall is possible but not feasible. More likely it will be a hodgepodge of walls and fences, and never actually completed.
Old 25th January 2017, 05:35 PM   #112
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Another Forbes article explains how Trump probably could make 'Mexicans' (as opposed to 'Mexico') pay for building the Wall by levying a tax. Two problems:
  1. If the tax was fairly high it would invite efforts to circumvent it by using third country transfers.
  2. Estimates for the cost of the Wall are in the ten billion range so paying for it via a money transfer tax would take decades.
10 billion is very optimistic, more likely the wall as envisioned would be closer to 40 billion.
Old 25th January 2017, 05:46 PM   #113
newyorkguy
Philosopher

10 billion is very optimistic, more likely the wall as envisioned would be closer to 40 billion.
Forbes used the ten billion dollar figure based on what Trump says it will cost. Below is a quote from the BBC:
Quote:
Mr Trump claims the total cost of the wall will be $10 billion to $12 billion. But estimates from fact checkers and engineers seem to be universally higher. Link to BBC report
I don't think I've seen estimates as high as forty billion. Do you have a cite?
Quote:
A study by the Washington Post estimated the cost of the president's wall would be closer to $25 billion.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 05:46 PM   #114
Spindrift

Well at least it's not wasted money.

A thousand years from now archaeologists will be excavating the Southern Wall, the building of which coincides with the collapse of the United States and being divided up between Mexico, Canada and St. Lucia. Legends will be told that it was used to keep out immigrants, but all the 40 foot ladders and ropes will disprove that. The Wall will generally be accepted as a physical fitness test so that they US knew the immigrants could do all the manual labor that the residents of the USA refused to do. There is even anecdotal evidence that the USA said the Mexicans would pay to build the wall but that is so ludicrous and has as much credence as the rumor that Donald Trump was the inventor of Twitter.
Old 25th January 2017, 05:52 PM   #115
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

A wire transfer fee on the money sent home, plus redacting some of the financial aide money sent to Mexico. I don't know if anyone has figured out how many centuries that would take, the cost of a wall is yuge.
Trump does not have the authority to do this.
Old 25th January 2017, 05:57 PM   #116
Civet
Critical Thinker

I'd suggest simply building a smaller, less expensive wall over only a small portion of the border. Then just lie and say that entire wall has been built. Denounce any attempts to expose this as politically-motivated fake news.
Old 25th January 2017, 06:10 PM   #117
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

plus 7 ft underground.
That's not deep enough to prevent tunneling. But even so, anyone can break through an underground wall.
Old 25th January 2017, 06:13 PM   #118
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2017, 06:45 PM   #119
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Forbes used the ten billion dollar figure based on what Trump says it will cost. Below is a quote from the BBC:

I don't think I've seen estimates as high as forty billion. Do you have a cite?
MIT Technology Review https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...s-border-wall/
Old 25th January 2017, 06:49 PM   #120
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Trump does not have the authority to do this.
To take some of the financial aid money you mean? I imagine Congress could do that. It's not something I would be in favor of.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics