ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 10:55 AM   #241
logger
Philosopher

[quote=gregthehammer;11686841]
Originally Posted by logger View Post
You really cannot figure this out can you? These top notch "workers" quit because obviously they don't agree or like Trump. You can decide why they quit?

Do you think republicans would do this?[/QUOTE]

if their boss is an unstable and unpredictable loon, and they are in their upper 50's, early 60's, yeah, I can see them saying "**** it, I don't need this ****. I quit"
You do realize these were people at the top? It isn't done! Except by people who are just partisan.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 10:57 AM   #242
Bob001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
They quit because they realize their new boss is nuts! Not a political protest, just, the guy is NUTS!
CNN is saying Trump fired them all -- long-serving career officials with specialized experience and responsibility, including the one in charge of embassy security. Makes the new guy look even crazier.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 10:57 AM   #243
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
you really have zero clue about foreign policy.

Let me give you a wise quote about Diplomacy:

"Diplomacy is about surviving until the next century - politics is about surviving until Friday afternoon. "

Trump or Tillerson, regardless of how brilliant they are can do exactly squat without preparations, negotiations and trust at the level of Foreign Office staff.

Without them, they will not be able to even codify what they negotiate, and even less get to something that in theory could be signed.
You really haven't a clue on how to get an agenda done. You don't do it with backstabbers like these, good riddance.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 10:58 AM   #244
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
CNN is saying Trump fired them all -- long-serving career officials with specialized experience and responsibility, including the one in charge of embassy security. Makes the new guy look even crazier.
Lol
Yes, firing the loser left would look crazy to leftists.
Old 26th January 2017, 10:58 AM   #245
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

What's the over/under on how long it takes for Trump to say "I know you all voted for me." at his pending speech at the GOP retreat?
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 10:59 AM   #246
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I'm a left-leaning centrist. Not something you'd ever know about or acknowledge.
So since you mostly agree with leftists, why does the leftist label upset you so?
Old 26th January 2017, 10:59 AM   #247
3point14
Pi

Lol
What's a 'leftist'. Can I get a definition? (Was it a word your dad used a lot?)

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:00 AM   #248
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

Lol
And you know their individual politics, how?

gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:01 AM   #249
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Lol
You do know these officials worked under both Democrat and Republican Presidents?

But don't let that interfere with your worship of Dear Leader.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:02 AM   #250
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
By what imperative do you propose a man should stay in a job he doesn't want to do? Are you not free to work for whom you wish, when you wish under whichever contractual terms you wish?

Why would you deny the same to these people. It's like wanting to own a gun, the why of it is not important. They don't want to work in that position any more, you don't get to judge them for simply exercising their freedom.
This post is just not even following the thread, lets see if you can amazingly figure out where I'm coming from. Start from stackos first post about the incompetent losers leaving because of politics.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:03 AM   #251
logger
Philosopher

Because I know leftists?

Does that confuse you more?
Old 26th January 2017, 11:03 AM   #252
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Mexican President cancels trip.
The way Trump is going, we will be lucky to have friend left in six months....except for Putin,and that might be more of a "Master Slave" relationship.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:03 AM   #253
Bob001
Illuminator

Lol
Some of them were appointed by G. Bush. Obama kept them in their jobs because he respected their professionalism, unlike the new guy.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:03 AM   #254
3point14
Pi

As far as I can work out, and it's tricky, anyone that doesn't do what logger would have done and doesn't think like logger does is a 'leftist'.

On this basis, logger knows that he himself would not have resigned in the circumstances these people found themselves in (Although he lacks facts, he doesn't let that slow him down.) therefore they are 'leftists' by definition, i.e. indulging in non-logger approved behavior.

I'm not even sure the term 'leftist' has a firm meaning in loggers head. I think it's a meta-syntactic variable.

3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:04 AM   #255
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Well, to put a partisan spin on things, this is Trump draining the swamp. He promised to get rid of a lot of career politicians and bureaucrats. It's working.

But, of course, "working" is really defined by results, isn't it? Let's see if Trump-picked replacements do a better job. There's no point predicting disaster, although it does create an opportunity for a "see I told you so" later.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:04 AM   #256
3point14
Pi

This post is just not even following the thread, lets see if you can amazingly figure out where I'm coming from. Start from stackos first post about the incompetent losers leaving because of politics.
If you want me to figure out where you're coming from, you'll need to explain it to me.

I still want to know why you think these employees should be shackled to work for the government against their will. In America. What the hell happened to freedom?

Old 26th January 2017, 11:05 AM   #257
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I'm sure it is to the left, hell the SS agent who refused to take a bullet for him would be considered "principled" by the left, but all it does is show which ones need to be fired.
I fully agree that she should be fired.

I also agree that she was principled, and probably said what the vast majority of them are thinking.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:05 AM   #258
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

The first bolded is based on what, exactly? The second, appears to be because Trump fired these guys, because he's a LOON!
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:05 AM   #259
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You do know these officials worked under both Democrat and Republican Presidents?

But don't let that interfere with your worship of Dear Leader.
And I supposed you're just forgetting how politically charged this campaign was? So as a leftist, it's your contention they left because Trump is crazy? They didn't even have the courage to try and sway him, they just decide to leave?

Now they don't even get an invite into the bunker when Trump blows up the world.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:06 AM   #260
Argumemnon
World Maker

No, I'm just pointing out the obvious.
In this case the "obvious" is not true.

Your problem, logger, is that you are utterly and entirely ignorance of other people's political views. You simply don't understand anything about the topic, so naturally you put your foot in your mouth every time you speak about it.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:06 AM   #261
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That's OK. Embassy security isn't high on the to-do list of republicans. As we've seen in the past.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:06 AM   #262
logger
Philosopher

The first bolded is based on what, exactly? The second, appears to be because Trump fired these guys, because he's a LOON!
Why is he a loon for firing a bunch of political hacks?
Old 26th January 2017, 11:07 AM   #263
3point14
Pi

And I supposed you're just forgetting how politically charged this campaign was? So as a leftist, it's your contention they left because Trump is crazy? They didn't even have the courage to try and sway him, they just decide to leave?

I'm sorry - to sway Trump?

Can I just ask what you think Trumps reaction would be if anyone suggested that someone other than Trump might influence the decisions of Trump?

Old 26th January 2017, 11:07 AM   #264
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

You really haven't a clue on how to get an agenda done. You don't do it with backstabbers like these, good riddance.
that's the point you don't get: Diplomacy is not about agenda - that is something an administration might have, but not the Diplomatic Corps.

If Trump rams a treaty massively favouring the US down the throats of our allies, he might be able to gain a bit of GDP growth, but at the expense of decades of careful diplomacy.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:07 AM   #265
Argumemnon
World Maker

So since you mostly agree with leftists, why does the leftist label upset you so?
Your premise isn't true, so your logic above is invalid. I don't "mostly" agree with leftists. It's just that YOU, logger, are so far to the right that I almost always disagree with YOU.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:08 AM   #266
logger
Philosopher

In this case the "obvious" is not true.

Your problem, logger, is that you are utterly and entirely ignorance of other people's political views. You simply don't understand anything about the topic, so naturally you put your foot in your mouth every time you speak about it.
Actually your all just a bit upset because you've been figured out. You want credit that you're not as left as the other guy, funny thing is you almost entirely agree with leftist principles.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:09 AM   #267
3point14
Pi

Your premise isn't true, so your logic above is invalid. I don't "mostly" agree with leftists. It's just that YOU, logger, are so far to the right that I almost always disagree with YOU.
As I've said, loggers working definition of 'leftist' is 'someone who disagrees with me'.

ETA: tangentially related to the topic at hand:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-38760792

Last edited by 3point14; 26th January 2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:10 AM   #268
logger
Philosopher

I'm no further to the right than any conservative or even republican, it is you who is on the left and just can't bring yourself to admit it!
Old 26th January 2017, 11:11 AM   #269
logger
Philosopher

As I've said, loggers working definition of 'leftist' is 'someone who disagrees with me'.
And you're on the left?
Old 26th January 2017, 11:11 AM   #270
Bob001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Well, to put a partisan spin on things, this is Trump draining the swamp. He promised to get rid of a lot of career politicians and bureaucrats. It's working.

But, of course, "working" is really defined by results, isn't it? Let's see if Trump-picked replacements do a better job. There's no point predicting disaster, although it does create an opportunity for a "see I told you so" later.
The thing is that there are no replacements. Historically, for jobs like this the old guys keep working until the new guys come in. It would be different if Trump said "I'm bringing in my own team." But he doesn't have a team.

Last edited by Bob001; 26th January 2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:11 AM   #271
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

Why is he a loon for firing a bunch of political hacks?
no.

not going to get into circular logic argument with you.

just. no.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:13 AM   #272
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
that's the point you don't get: Diplomacy is not about agenda - that is something an administration might have, but not the Diplomatic Corps.

If Trump rams a treaty massively favouring the US down the throats of our allies, he might be able to gain a bit of GDP growth, but at the expense of decades of careful diplomacy.
And somehow you think these agendas aren't politically motivated? The left has politicized every diplomatic corp we have. Now it's our turn.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:14 AM   #273
3point14
Pi

And you're on the left?

I've said before that I find that attempting to express the whole gamut of views on social, political, fiscal, scientific and environmental issues as a point in a single dimension is divisive, pointless, misleading and does nothing more for the discussion than provide each side with a stick with which to beat the other side.

I don't agree with you, therefore you'd consider me to be on the left.

I'm a much, much more complex thinker than that.

Old 26th January 2017, 11:14 AM   #274
Argumemnon
World Maker

Actually your all just a bit upset because you've been figured out. You want credit that you're not as left as the other guy, funny thing is you almost entirely agree with leftist principles.
And you can tell me what I am as much as you like, but the fact is that:

There you go. That's my results. It's hard to anyone to claim from that that I'm somehow on the far left. I'm barely left of center.

Now when you're done flaunting your ignorance and lying about other posters, the conversation might get more interesting.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:14 AM   #275
logger
Philosopher

no.

not going to get into circular logic argument with you.

just. no.
I'm delighted!
Old 26th January 2017, 11:15 AM   #276
Argumemnon
World Maker

I'm no further to the right than any conservative or even republican, it is you who is on the left and just can't bring yourself to admit it!
Prove it. Honestly fill out the political compass questionnaire and post your results. Don't like, now. And remember that the "result" is a final, aggregate number. Someone may be on the right and hold some "left" ideas and opinions.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:16 AM   #277
logger
Philosopher

I've said before that I find that attempting to express the whole gamut of views on social, political, fiscal, scientific and environmental issues as a point in a single dimension is divisive, pointless, misleading and does nothing more for the discussion than provide each side with a stick with which to beat the other side.
Lol
A leftist view!

Quote:
I don't agree with you, therefore you'd consider me to be on the left.
I'm only going by what you say.
Quote:
I'm a much, much more complex thinker than that.
Hilarious
There isn't a leftist alive who doesn't say this.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:18 AM   #278
logger
Philosopher

And you can tell me what I am as much as you like, but the fact is that:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...a3c4037614.png

There you go. That's my results. It's hard to anyone to claim from that that I'm somehow on the far left. I'm barely left of center.

Now when you're done flaunting your ignorance and lying about other posters, the conversation might get more interesting.
Did I say you were far left?
Old 26th January 2017, 11:19 AM   #279
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I would not be surprised to see a similar exodus from the Pentagon.
Trump just be just the kind or President who,without any military experience, likes to play general and, in a conflict situation, gets people killed.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:19 AM   #280
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
That's OK. Embassy security isn't high on the to-do list of republicans. As we've seen in the past.
Hilarious

BENGHAZI!!!
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics