ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 11:20 AM   #281
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I would not be surprised to see a similar exodus from the Pentagon.
Trump just be just the kind or President who,without any military experience, likes to play general and, in a conflict situation, gets people killed.
It will be the best thing to happen to him. Cleaning these places out since the Clinton administration!

His plan all along maybe?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:21 AM   #282
Aber
Muse

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Hilarious

BENGHAZI!!!

I think that merits a WOOSH!!

Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:22 AM   #283
3point14
Pi

Lol
A leftist view!

I'm only going by what you say.

Hilarious
There isn't a leftist alive who doesn't say this.

See, I explain to you why it's pointless and, apparently, even that's 'leftist' (you still haven't told me what you mean by that.)

Given that anyone who disagrees with you is a 'leftist' and you dismiss the views of 'leftists' out of hand, what would be the point in having any dialogue with you at all? It seems you don't want a dialogue, you just want an echo chamber.

We are lions, not tigers.

Last edited by 3point14; 26th January 2017 at 11:26 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:23 AM   #284
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

And somehow you think these agendas aren't politically motivated? The left has politicized every diplomatic corp we have. Now it's our turn.
I fully understand that you want to destroy our international relationships because you think it will annoy some people you don't know but assume you won't like.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:33 AM   #285
Bob001
Illuminator

Hilarious

BENGHAZI!!!
You understand that before Benghazi!, the Repubs actually cut the State Dept. security budget by hundreds of millions of dollars, right?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-state-depart/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...=.fb2dc62a6204

Note that the Post story ran before the attacks.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:33 AM   #286
Argumemnon
World Maker

Did I say you were far left?
Yes, you absolutely did:

You're on the far left, just accept it, it's okay
Did you think I couldn't find that again? It was just two weeks ago.

Now address what I posted, and post your own results.

Last edited by Argumemnon; 26th January 2017 at 11:34 AM.
Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:44 AM   #287
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I fully understand that you want to destroy our international relationships because you think it will annoy some people you don't know but assume you won't like.
He's not doing PM Theresa May any favours. No sooner does she start grovelling to him in the best "special relationship" mode, than he starts sounding off about "worse" torture, just before she's due to perform a deferential ceremonial visit to her new Hegemon. Embarrassing. Makes him look like a total barbarian. That's not very nice.

The President of Mexico must be cross too. I hope Putin's phoned to reassure Trump he's still got a friend left.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:48 AM   #288
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yes, you absolutely did:

I have found that generally speaking, those incapable of independent thinking cannot conceptualize the fact that others can.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:52 AM   #289
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Hilarious

BENGHAZI!!!
Yes, that was the most visible result of their policies. Strange. We seem to be in agreement more than you know.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:53 AM   #290
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The thing is that there are no replacements. Historically, for jobs like this the old guys keep working until the new guys come in. It would be different if Trump said "I'm bringing in my own team." But he doesn't have a team.
Well.....not yet. But....he'll make a new team. A great team. Believe me.

And we can judge him by the results. It's too late to prevent it. We'll just see how it works.
Old 26th January 2017, 11:54 AM   #291
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Do you have a clue on how that makes them look?
Principled?

(A tip of the hat to NoahFence for beating me to the punch!)

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 26th January 2017 at 11:56 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:02 PM   #292
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

The thing is that there are no replacements. Historically, for jobs like this the old guys keep working until the new guys come in. It would be different if Trump said "I'm bringing in my own team." But he doesn't have a team.

With Ringling Brothers shutting down, I'm sure that Trump can find plenty of people just as qualified as his other appointees.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:03 PM   #293
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

Maybe they were all really "political appointees".
Old 26th January 2017, 12:08 PM   #294
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yes, you absolutely did:

Well, I must have been mistaken then, you're just left?
Quote:
No? I suppose I can refuse to take your test. I'd rather go on what people say, you might have not been quite honest in your answers.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:10 PM   #295
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Maybe they were all really "political appointees".
keeping good relationships with other nations is a partisan policy Democrats have shoved down the throat of the American people.
High time we piss off everyone and pretend that we are the only nation on earth, just as God intended.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:15 PM   #296
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
keeping good relationships with other nations is a partisan policy Democrats have shoved down the throat of the American people.
High time we piss off everyone and pretend that we are the only nation on earth, just as God intended.
Unfortunately a goodly percentage of the country would agree with that.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:15 PM   #297
Bob001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
And we can judge him by the results. It's too late to prevent it. We'll just see how it works.
We might never know the true results, especially if we have to depend on the White House for accurate reports. But this affects the lives of every State employee, every American who travels abroad, and U.S. international interests. And the thing is that it's not at all necessary. Government agencies have plenty of experience at accommodating a smooth transition. Pres Obama went to great lengths to assure that Pres Trump would enjoy a smooth transition. There's no reason why Trump can't treat other government employees (and he is a government employee) the same way.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:17 PM   #298
3point14
Pi

We might never know the true results, especially if we have to depend on the White House for accurate reports. But this affects the lives of every State employee, every American who travels abroad, and U.S. international interests. And the thing is that it's not at all necessary. Government agencies have plenty of experience at accommodating a smooth transition. Pres Obama went to great lengths to assure that Pres Trump would enjoy a smooth transition. There's no reason why Trump can't treat other government employees (and he is a government employee) the same way.
Jesus, what's he going to be like if he has to handover after the next election, one termed and reviled?

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:19 PM   #299
Argumemnon
World Maker

Well, I must have been mistaken then, you're just left?
Left-leaning centrist. Is that complicated?

Quote:
No? I suppose I can refuse to take your test.
Of course you can. But you might learn a thing or two about yourself if you took the test.

Quote:
I'd rather go on what people say
And yet you keep ignoring what they say.

Quote:
you might have not been quite honest in your answers.
Since I took the test in order to find out where the website put me on the chart, it would've been monstrously stupid of me to do that. These results are from last Novembre, the second time I took the test, to confirm the first results. Turns out I had drifted slightly to the right in the intervening year.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:25 PM   #300
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Alt[fill in the federal agency] Twitter accounts are turning up right and left.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:28 PM   #301
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It's not belittling to describe reality. It's simply describing reality.
No, you're not describing reality. You're describing a narrative. You're describing a narrative that says "Trump supporters are racists", "Trump supporters are dumb", "Trump supporters are deplorable". That's not reality, it's a spin on reality that furthers a political agenda.

And trying to insist that it's "reality" that the other side are racists IS belittling and insulting.

FFS, even when we are given incredibly good run-downs of *why* a particular person or group of people voted for Trump, from their perspective, there's a tendency for those on the more Democratic party side of the line to recast them as divorced from reality, dumb, stupid, racist, ignorant, redneck, etc.

Even when people straight up tell you "we didn't vote for Hillary because she referred to an entire half the country as deplorables" you want to argue that it's actually because they really are deplorable, and they shouldn't be offended by being called deplorable because that's just reality.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:29 PM   #302
Emily's Cat

One side is considerably worse. False equvivalences are equally damaging as polarization.
At the moment, yes. One side is behaving quite a bit worse. That would be the side that refuses to listen and repeatedly and willfully casts their opponent as bigoted ignorant deplorables... and then insists that such commentary shouldn't be insulting because it's "reality".
Old 26th January 2017, 12:31 PM   #303
Bob001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Jesus, what's he going to be like if he has to handover after the next election, one termed and reviled?
What makes you think he'd leave? He'd claim that everyone who voted against him was illegal, and "the people" want him to stay. I guess you'd have to go to the D.C. courts and get an order of eviction. Can you imagine U.S. marshals stacking his stuff on the sidewalk?
Old 26th January 2017, 12:35 PM   #304
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Even when people straight up tell you "we didn't vote for Hillary because she referred to an entire half the country as deplorables" you want to argue that it's actually because they really are deplorable, and they shouldn't be offended by being called deplorable because that's just reality.
The interesting thing about that quote is that she didn't do that. The full "deplorables" quote went on for about two paragraphs, and said almost the opposite of how the out of context sound bite sounded.

Sometimes I feel sorry for politicians.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:35 PM   #305
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am beginning to wonder if logger is not actually somebody on the left,out to make people on the right look as bad as possible.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:37 PM   #306
seayakin
Graduate Poster

I am beginning to wonder if logger is not actually somebody on the left,out to make people on the right look as bad as possible.
I've wondered that. He is a caricature.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:38 PM   #307
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

A variation on Poe?
Old 26th January 2017, 12:42 PM   #308
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

You're saying he should be more like Obama?

Don't hold your breath.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:43 PM   #309
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm beginning to wonder if Trump is confusing trying to convince everyone he has a big dick with convincing everyone he is a big dick. Because he's quite convincing on the latter.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:54 PM   #310
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Trakar View Post
A state has responsibilities and duties to the population of the state, but the state does not, or should not, have a separate and distinct vote on state actions.
In my opinion, the state does, and should, have a voice in federal policies that affect the well-being of the state as a whole. Furthermore, the state does, and should, have a duty to protect the interests and future of the citizens that it governs.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:56 PM   #311
Emily's Cat

I'm not sure there are any right-leaning moderates left. At least on the US left-right scale.
Yes, because somehow with Trump's election, I've magically transformed into a frothing-at-the-mouth bigot with an IQ barely sufficient to eat oatmeal unsupervised?

Seriously, the constant mockery and derision of people on the other side of the line really needs to stop. This "All leftists are reasonable perfect beings and all rightists are stupid ignorant hatemongers" sort of rhetoric is promulgating the schism and making it impossible to have a discussion.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:58 PM   #312
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The interesting thing about that quote is that she didn't do that. The full "deplorables" quote went on for about two paragraphs, and said almost the opposite of how the out of context sound bite sounded.

Even the out-of-context sound bite didn't say that. Hillary said;
"... you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables."

Which isn't "an entire half the country".

It isn't even half of the registered voters in the country, or maybe even half of the Republicans.

Quote:

Sometimes I feel sorry for politicians.
I try to feel sorry for some of their defenders, who feel the need to lie like rugs in their transparently futile efforts to whitewash their tarnished heroes and vilify anyone who disagrees.

But I just can't.

Last edited by quadraginta; 26th January 2017 at 01:00 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:03 PM   #313
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

~ snip ~

The highlighted is a demonstrably false statement. She referred to half of HIS supporters as deplorable.
Old 26th January 2017, 01:07 PM   #314
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Yes, because somehow with Trump's election, I've magically transformed into a frothing-at-the-mouth bigot with an IQ barely sufficient to eat oatmeal unsupervised?

Seriously, the constant mockery and derision of people on the other side of the line really needs to stop. This "All leftists are reasonable perfect beings and all rightists are stupid ignorant hatemongers" sort of rhetoric is promulgating the schism and making it impossible to have a discussion.
I'm confused as to when you believe this thread became about you ?
Old 26th January 2017, 01:12 PM   #315
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
<...> convincing everyone he is a big dick.<...>

Didn't vote for him, was ashamed he was even a candidate, but still held out hope that the more over-the-top theatrics during the election were just that - his huckster way of getting the win, and once in office he'd surprise everyone and be a bit more statesmanlike. Not some grand, eloquent, enlightened leader, but just not the trainwreck he was during the campaign. A stable politician, even if I still disagreed with his agenda.

Yeah, that hope didn't last too long.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:12 PM   #316
Armitage72
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
The highlighted is a demonstrably false statement. She referred to half of HIS supporters as deplorable.

Obviously, the entire country supports Trump. Heck, she called half the world deplorable. Every person on Earth supports Trump. He's the most beloved man in the world. Lots of people say so. All the best people. The world has yuuuge love for Trump. Especially beautiful women. They can't resist him.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:22 PM   #317
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

ANother first: A president creates a major International Crisis via Twitter.

I would love to be a fly on the wall with the GOP leadership right now. I think they are now realizing that Trump really is an idiot who means disaster for the GOP.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:27 PM   #318
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Even when people straight up tell you "we didn't vote for Hillary because she referred to an entire half the country as deplorables" you want to argue that it's actually because they really are deplorable,.
Well if you were conducting an experiment to determine if they were really deplorables what response would you expect a deplorable to give to that accusation?

I certainly wouldn't expect a deplorable to know they are a deplorable let alone admit it in public.
Old 26th January 2017, 01:48 PM   #319
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Quit or fired? Right hand meet left hand.
Quote:
Trump administration sources told CNN that the officials had been fired rather than quit. State Department spokesman Mark Toner, meanwhile, presented the departures as routine changeover.
And don't trip over that left foot.
Quote:
The abrupt resignations at this stage in the transition seems to have come as a surprise. They are made all the more important because Trump has not made any nominations for State positions beyond Tillerson, to say nothing of hearings of confirmation votes....

The resignations are not, primarily, a political story. They will further the impression among Trump’s critics that his administration is a chaotic mess staffed, when it’s staffed at all, by greenhorn newcomers....

If these four officials were pushed, then Trump seems to have taken a cavalier attitude toward the State Department’s ability to run itself without institutional knowledge. If they jumped, it’s tempting to view their departure as an example of official Washington’s resistance to President Trump....

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 26th January 2017 at 02:30 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:50 PM   #320
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Even the out-of-context sound bite didn't say that. Hillary said;
"... you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables."

Which isn't "an entire half the country".

It isn't even half of the registered voters in the country, or maybe even half of the Republicans.

I try to feel sorry for some of their defenders, who feel the need to lie like rugs in their transparently futile efforts to whitewash their tarnished heroes and vilify anyone who disagrees.

But I just can't.
In this case what I mean is that Hillary said one thing, but it's nearly universally believed that she said something else, and it probably cost her the presidency. Oh well. On some level, you have to be able to manage your own message, and she didn't. C'est la vie.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics