ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 26th January 2017, 11:20 AM   #281
logger
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,364
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I would not be surprised to see a similar exodus from the Pentagon.
Trump just be just the kind or President who,without any military experience, likes to play general and, in a conflict situation, gets people killed.
It will be the best thing to happen to him. Cleaning these places out since the Clinton administration!

His plan all along maybe?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:21 AM   #282
Aber
Muse
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 728
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Hilarious

BENGHAZI!!!

I think that merits a WOOSH!!

Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:22 AM   #283
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,286
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol
A leftist view!


I'm only going by what you say.

Hilarious
There isn't a leftist alive who doesn't say this.

See, I explain to you why it's pointless and, apparently, even that's 'leftist' (you still haven't told me what you mean by that.)

Given that anyone who disagrees with you is a 'leftist' and you dismiss the views of 'leftists' out of hand, what would be the point in having any dialogue with you at all? It seems you don't want a dialogue, you just want an echo chamber.
__________________
Some seem to think the UK leaving the EU is like Robbie leaving Take That.
In reality it's more like Pete leaving The Beatles.

We are lions, not tigers.

Last edited by 3point14; 26th January 2017 at 11:26 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:23 AM   #284
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by logger View Post
And somehow you think these agendas aren't politically motivated? The left has politicized every diplomatic corp we have. Now it's our turn.
I fully understand that you want to destroy our international relationships because you think it will annoy some people you don't know but assume you won't like.
__________________
“Today you will meet a three-ton rhinoceros called Desmond.”
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:33 AM   #285
Bob001
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,594
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Hilarious

BENGHAZI!!!
You understand that before Benghazi!, the Repubs actually cut the State Dept. security budget by hundreds of millions of dollars, right?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-state-depart/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...=.fb2dc62a6204

Note that the Post story ran before the attacks.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:33 AM   #286
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 59,724
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Did I say you were far left?
Yes, you absolutely did:

Originally Posted by logger View Post
You're on the far left, just accept it, it's okay
Did you think I couldn't find that again? It was just two weeks ago.

Now address what I posted, and post your own results.
__________________
"What is best in life?"

Last edited by Argumemnon; 26th January 2017 at 11:34 AM.
Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:44 AM   #287
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19,969
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I fully understand that you want to destroy our international relationships because you think it will annoy some people you don't know but assume you won't like.
He's not doing PM Theresa May any favours. No sooner does she start grovelling to him in the best "special relationship" mode, than he starts sounding off about "worse" torture, just before she's due to perform a deferential ceremonial visit to her new Hegemon. Embarrassing. Makes him look like a total barbarian. That's not very nice.

The President of Mexico must be cross too. I hope Putin's phoned to reassure Trump he's still got a friend left.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:48 AM   #288
Resume
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 14,787
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yes, you absolutely did:



Did you think I couldn't find that again? It was just two weeks ago.

Now address what I posted, and post your own results.
I have found that generally speaking, those incapable of independent thinking cannot conceptualize the fact that others can.
__________________
A sentimental materialization of the kind of quasi‐rural bonhomie that seemed a millimeter from actual goose‐stepping and brown‐shirt uproars of bumpkin fascism.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:52 AM   #289
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 19,533
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Hilarious

BENGHAZI!!!
Yes, that was the most visible result of their policies. Strange. We seem to be in agreement more than you know.
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your cheeto loving faces.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:53 AM   #290
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,772
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The thing is that there are no replacements. Historically, for jobs like this the old guys keep working until the new guys come in. It would be different if Trump said "I'm bringing in my own team." But he doesn't have a team.
Well.....not yet. But....he'll make a new team. A great team. Believe me.



And we can judge him by the results. It's too late to prevent it. We'll just see how it works.
__________________
Dave
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:54 AM   #291
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher
 
Regnad Kcin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,132
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Do you have a clue on how that makes them look?
Principled?

(A tip of the hat to NoahFence for beating me to the punch!)
__________________
My heros are Alex Zanardi and Evelyn Glennie.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 26th January 2017 at 11:56 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:02 PM   #292
Armitage72
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,367
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The thing is that there are no replacements. Historically, for jobs like this the old guys keep working until the new guys come in. It would be different if Trump said "I'm bringing in my own team." But he doesn't have a team.

With Ringling Brothers shutting down, I'm sure that Trump can find plenty of people just as qualified as his other appointees.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:03 PM   #293
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 16,535
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

Maybe they were all really "political appointees".
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:08 PM   #294
logger
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,364
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yes, you absolutely did:



Did you think I couldn't find that again? It was just two weeks ago.
Well, I must have been mistaken then, you're just left?
Quote:
Now address what I posted, and post your own results.
No? I suppose I can refuse to take your test. I'd rather go on what people say, you might have not been quite honest in your answers.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:10 PM   #295
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Maybe they were all really "political appointees".
keeping good relationships with other nations is a partisan policy Democrats have shoved down the throat of the American people.
High time we piss off everyone and pretend that we are the only nation on earth, just as God intended.
__________________
“Today you will meet a three-ton rhinoceros called Desmond.”
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:15 PM   #296
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006
 
Spindrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Right here!
Posts: 17,260
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
keeping good relationships with other nations is a partisan policy Democrats have shoved down the throat of the American people.
High time we piss off everyone and pretend that we are the only nation on earth, just as God intended.
Unfortunately a goodly percentage of the country would agree with that.
__________________
I've always believed that cluelessness evolved as an adaptation to allow the truly appalling to live with themselves. - G. B. Trudeau
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Kay, Men in Black.
Enjoy every sandwich. - Warren Zevon
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:15 PM   #297
Bob001
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,594
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
....
And we can judge him by the results. It's too late to prevent it. We'll just see how it works.
We might never know the true results, especially if we have to depend on the White House for accurate reports. But this affects the lives of every State employee, every American who travels abroad, and U.S. international interests. And the thing is that it's not at all necessary. Government agencies have plenty of experience at accommodating a smooth transition. Pres Obama went to great lengths to assure that Pres Trump would enjoy a smooth transition. There's no reason why Trump can't treat other government employees (and he is a government employee) the same way.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:17 PM   #298
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,286
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
We might never know the true results, especially if we have to depend on the White House for accurate reports. But this affects the lives of every State employee, every American who travels abroad, and U.S. international interests. And the thing is that it's not at all necessary. Government agencies have plenty of experience at accommodating a smooth transition. Pres Obama went to great lengths to assure that Pres Trump would enjoy a smooth transition. There's no reason why Trump can't treat other government employees (and he is a government employee) the same way.
Jesus, what's he going to be like if he has to handover after the next election, one termed and reviled?
__________________
Some seem to think the UK leaving the EU is like Robbie leaving Take That.
In reality it's more like Pete leaving The Beatles.

We are lions, not tigers.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:19 PM   #299
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 59,724
Originally Posted by logger View Post
Well, I must have been mistaken then, you're just left?
Left-leaning centrist. Is that complicated?

Quote:
No? I suppose I can refuse to take your test.
Of course you can. But you might learn a thing or two about yourself if you took the test.

Quote:
I'd rather go on what people say
And yet you keep ignoring what they say.

Quote:
you might have not been quite honest in your answers.
Since I took the test in order to find out where the website put me on the chart, it would've been monstrously stupid of me to do that. These results are from last Novembre, the second time I took the test, to confirm the first results. Turns out I had drifted slightly to the right in the intervening year.
__________________
"What is best in life?"
Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:25 PM   #300
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 58,863
Alt[fill in the federal agency] Twitter accounts are turning up right and left.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:28 PM   #301
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 6,588
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It's not belittling to describe reality. It's simply describing reality.
No, you're not describing reality. You're describing a narrative. You're describing a narrative that says "Trump supporters are racists", "Trump supporters are dumb", "Trump supporters are deplorable". That's not reality, it's a spin on reality that furthers a political agenda.

And trying to insist that it's "reality" that the other side are racists IS belittling and insulting.

FFS, even when we are given incredibly good run-downs of *why* a particular person or group of people voted for Trump, from their perspective, there's a tendency for those on the more Democratic party side of the line to recast them as divorced from reality, dumb, stupid, racist, ignorant, redneck, etc.

Even when people straight up tell you "we didn't vote for Hillary because she referred to an entire half the country as deplorables" you want to argue that it's actually because they really are deplorable, and they shouldn't be offended by being called deplorable because that's just reality.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:29 PM   #302
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 6,588
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
One side is considerably worse. False equvivalences are equally damaging as polarization.
At the moment, yes. One side is behaving quite a bit worse. That would be the side that refuses to listen and repeatedly and willfully casts their opponent as bigoted ignorant deplorables... and then insists that such commentary shouldn't be insulting because it's "reality".
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:31 PM   #303
Bob001
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,594
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Jesus, what's he going to be like if he has to handover after the next election, one termed and reviled?
What makes you think he'd leave? He'd claim that everyone who voted against him was illegal, and "the people" want him to stay. I guess you'd have to go to the D.C. courts and get an order of eviction. Can you imagine U.S. marshals stacking his stuff on the sidewalk?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:35 PM   #304
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,772
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Even when people straight up tell you "we didn't vote for Hillary because she referred to an entire half the country as deplorables" you want to argue that it's actually because they really are deplorable, and they shouldn't be offended by being called deplorable because that's just reality.
The interesting thing about that quote is that she didn't do that. The full "deplorables" quote went on for about two paragraphs, and said almost the opposite of how the out of context sound bite sounded.

Sometimes I feel sorry for politicians.
__________________
Dave
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:35 PM   #305
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 35,083
I am beginning to wonder if logger is not actually somebody on the left,out to make people on the right look as bad as possible.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:37 PM   #306
seayakin
Graduate Poster
 
seayakin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,173
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am beginning to wonder if logger is not actually somebody on the left,out to make people on the right look as bad as possible.
I've wondered that. He is a caricature.
__________________
"I kayak, therefore I am"
seayakin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:38 PM   #307
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 29,437
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am beginning to wonder if logger is not actually somebody on the left,out to make people on the right look as bad as possible.
A variation on Poe?
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"You are the herp to my derp" -- bit_pattern
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:42 PM   #308
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 16,535
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
We might never know the true results, especially if we have to depend on the White House for accurate reports. But this affects the lives of every State employee, every American who travels abroad, and U.S. international interests. And the thing is that it's not at all necessary. Government agencies have plenty of experience at accommodating a smooth transition. Pres Obama went to great lengths to assure that Pres Trump would enjoy a smooth transition. There's no reason why Trump can't treat other government employees (and he is a government employee) the same way.

You're saying he should be more like Obama?

Don't hold your breath.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:43 PM   #309
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 42,431
I'm beginning to wonder if Trump is confusing trying to convince everyone he has a big dick with convincing everyone he is a big dick. Because he's quite convincing on the latter.
__________________
One cannot expect wisdom to flow from a pumpkin.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:54 PM   #310
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 6,588
Originally Posted by Trakar View Post
A state has responsibilities and duties to the population of the state, but the state does not, or should not, have a separate and distinct vote on state actions.
In my opinion, the state does, and should, have a voice in federal policies that affect the well-being of the state as a whole. Furthermore, the state does, and should, have a duty to protect the interests and future of the citizens that it governs.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:56 PM   #311
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 6,588
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I'm not sure there are any right-leaning moderates left. At least on the US left-right scale.
Yes, because somehow with Trump's election, I've magically transformed into a frothing-at-the-mouth bigot with an IQ barely sufficient to eat oatmeal unsupervised?

Seriously, the constant mockery and derision of people on the other side of the line really needs to stop. This "All leftists are reasonable perfect beings and all rightists are stupid ignorant hatemongers" sort of rhetoric is promulgating the schism and making it impossible to have a discussion.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 12:58 PM   #312
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility
Posts: 16,535
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Even when people straight up tell you "we didn't vote for Hillary because she referred to an entire half the country as deplorables" you want to argue that it's actually because they really are deplorable, and they shouldn't be offended by being called deplorable because that's just reality.
The interesting thing about that quote is that she didn't do that. The full "deplorables" quote went on for about two paragraphs, and said almost the opposite of how the out of context sound bite sounded.

Even the out-of-context sound bite didn't say that. Hillary said;
"... you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables."

Which isn't "an entire half the country".

It isn't even half of the registered voters in the country, or maybe even half of the Republicans.

Quote:

Sometimes I feel sorry for politicians.
I try to feel sorry for some of their defenders, who feel the need to lie like rugs in their transparently futile efforts to whitewash their tarnished heroes and vilify anyone who disagrees.

But I just can't.
__________________
"It never does just what I want, but only what I tell it."

Last edited by quadraginta; 26th January 2017 at 01:00 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:03 PM   #313
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 19,533
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
~ snip ~



Even when people straight up tell you "we didn't vote for Hillary because she referred to an entire half the country as deplorables" you want to argue that it's actually because they really are deplorable, and they shouldn't be offended by being called deplorable because that's just reality.
The highlighted is a demonstrably false statement. She referred to half of HIS supporters as deplorable.
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your cheeto loving faces.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:07 PM   #314
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher
 
TheL8Elvis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,305
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Yes, because somehow with Trump's election, I've magically transformed into a frothing-at-the-mouth bigot with an IQ barely sufficient to eat oatmeal unsupervised?

Seriously, the constant mockery and derision of people on the other side of the line really needs to stop. This "All leftists are reasonable perfect beings and all rightists are stupid ignorant hatemongers" sort of rhetoric is promulgating the schism and making it impossible to have a discussion.
I'm confused as to when you believe this thread became about you ?
__________________
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
TheL8Elvis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:12 PM   #315
Joe Random
Graduate Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,557
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
<...> convincing everyone he is a big dick.<...>





Didn't vote for him, was ashamed he was even a candidate, but still held out hope that the more over-the-top theatrics during the election were just that - his huckster way of getting the win, and once in office he'd surprise everyone and be a bit more statesmanlike. Not some grand, eloquent, enlightened leader, but just not the trainwreck he was during the campaign. A stable politician, even if I still disagreed with his agenda.

Yeah, that hope didn't last too long.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:12 PM   #316
Armitage72
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,367
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
The highlighted is a demonstrably false statement. She referred to half of HIS supporters as deplorable.

Obviously, the entire country supports Trump. Heck, she called half the world deplorable. Every person on Earth supports Trump. He's the most beloved man in the world. Lots of people say so. All the best people. The world has yuuuge love for Trump. Especially beautiful women. They can't resist him.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:22 PM   #317
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 35,083
ANother first: A president creates a major International Crisis via Twitter.

I would love to be a fly on the wall with the GOP leadership right now. I think they are now realizing that Trump really is an idiot who means disaster for the GOP.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:27 PM   #318
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator
 
Archie Gemmill Goal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 3,456
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Even when people straight up tell you "we didn't vote for Hillary because she referred to an entire half the country as deplorables" you want to argue that it's actually because they really are deplorable,.
Well if you were conducting an experiment to determine if they were really deplorables what response would you expect a deplorable to give to that accusation?

I certainly wouldn't expect a deplorable to know they are a deplorable let alone admit it in public.
__________________
"I love sex and drugs and sausage rolls
But nothing compares to Archie Gemmill's goal"
Archie Gemmill Goal is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:48 PM   #319
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 58,863
Quit or fired? Right hand meet left hand.
Quote:
Trump administration sources told CNN that the officials had been fired rather than quit. State Department spokesman Mark Toner, meanwhile, presented the departures as routine changeover.
And don't trip over that left foot.
Quote:
The abrupt resignations at this stage in the transition seems to have come as a surprise. They are made all the more important because Trump has not made any nominations for State positions beyond Tillerson, to say nothing of hearings of confirmation votes....

The resignations are not, primarily, a political story. They will further the impression among Trump’s critics that his administration is a chaotic mess staffed, when it’s staffed at all, by greenhorn newcomers....

If these four officials were pushed, then Trump seems to have taken a cavalier attitude toward the State Department’s ability to run itself without institutional knowledge. If they jumped, it’s tempting to view their departure as an example of official Washington’s resistance to President Trump....

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 26th January 2017 at 02:30 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:50 PM   #320
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15,772
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Even the out-of-context sound bite didn't say that. Hillary said;
"... you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables."

Which isn't "an entire half the country".

It isn't even half of the registered voters in the country, or maybe even half of the Republicans.


I try to feel sorry for some of their defenders, who feel the need to lie like rugs in their transparently futile efforts to whitewash their tarnished heroes and vilify anyone who disagrees.

But I just can't.
In this case what I mean is that Hillary said one thing, but it's nearly universally believed that she said something else, and it probably cost her the presidency. Oh well. On some level, you have to be able to manage your own message, and she didn't. C'est la vie.
__________________
Dave
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.