ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags smartphones

Old 26th January 2017, 06:38 AM   #1
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Going cheaper with my next smartphone. A mistake?

Or more accurately. How big is the difference actually between a cheap, a mid-range, and an expensive smartphone?

I bought my eleven-year-old daughter a Motorola G3 130 six months ago.

It doesn't have a physical home button, it needed an SD card and I find the interface not that great. But apart from that, how much worse is this thing compared to my fancy iPhone 6?

I watch Youtube and Netflix, do my mail, follow some courses, and browse Twitter.
No plans for VR headsets or fancy games.

I'm thinking of getting a mid-range Samsung for my next phone (still have to look through their extensive and confusing range).

Anyone experienced here? Will I go mad from slow reaction times and ruing my eyes with a bad resolution screen?
Old 26th January 2017, 06:48 AM   #2
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

If you are willing to lose or replace all your apps and you like the new phone sure.

By mid range Samsung do you mean an old S line models like an S5 or S6, or a cheap and nasty Samsung model?

With most modern phones you should be able to do the basic things you require.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 06:57 AM   #3
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I was thinking of the S6, I think the S8 comes out in February. So after that.
Old 26th January 2017, 07:02 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

You always need the newest phone right out of the store, otherwise it won't have the most important feature: Bragging rights.

I like the Wirecutter website for comparison. I got me a MotoG4 because of it, my kid got the G3 - absolutely everything you could possibly need (even dual sim), except that you can't show off as much.
I feel like a loser
Old 26th January 2017, 07:10 AM   #5
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
I was thinking of the S6, I think the S8 comes out in February. So after that.
Look at what you want to do, list what's important for you and go for a phone that does that.

Even the cheapest of smartphones these days can browse the web, do emails, watch netflix and youtube. What you pay more for - but not on a linear scale - is bigger screens, better quality screens, better cameras, more internal storage, faster processors and then there are the features such as fingerprint sensors, wireless charging and "health" sensors.

Most mid-range smartphones these days are more than good enough for most people.
Old 26th January 2017, 07:15 AM   #6
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
You always need the newest phone right out of the store, otherwise it won't have the most important feature: Bragging rights.

I like the Wirecutter website for comparison. I got me a MotoG4 because of it, my kid got the G3 - absolutely everything you could possibly need (even dual sim), except that you can't show off as much.
I feel like a loser
I was just looking at the G4. It is almost shockingly cheap compared to the S7 or new iPhone. And it gets raving reviews.

I don't need a fingerprint sensor, really.

Another thing: a cheaper phone is more like a normal user-item. If you break it, you buy a new one. No biggy. Less stress.
Old 26th January 2017, 08:51 AM   #7
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Look at what you want to do, list what's important for you and go for a phone that does that.

Even the cheapest of smartphones these days can browse the web, do emails, watch netflix and youtube. What you pay more for - but not on a linear scale - is bigger screens, better quality screens, better cameras, more internal storage, faster processors and then there are the features such as fingerprint sensors, wireless charging and "health" sensors and the brand.

Most mid-range smartphones these days are more than good enough for most people.
fixed
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 08:59 AM   #8
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Or more accurately. How big is the difference actually between a cheap, a mid-range, and an expensive smartphone?

I bought my eleven-year-old daughter a Motorola G3 130 six months ago.

It doesn't have a physical home button, it needed an SD card and I find the interface not that great. But apart from that, how much worse is this thing compared to my fancy iPhone 6?

I watch Youtube and Netflix, do my mail, follow some courses, and browse Twitter.
No plans for VR headsets or fancy games.

I'm thinking of getting a mid-range Samsung for my next phone (still have to look through their extensive and confusing range).

Anyone experienced here? Will I go mad from slow reaction times and ruing my eyes with a bad resolution screen?
I have a rule of thumb for that.

Find the base level, then go for the model one level higher.

It seems to hold true unless one has a specific requirement that necessitates the more expensive end of the market.

For example, I always go for the smaller screen sizes. I don't need glasses so screen size is a non-issue for me. This is, of course, not true for everyone. Thus, my rule of thumb is tempered by specific things people want from a phone.
Old 26th January 2017, 09:53 AM   #9
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I think it is great idea to only buy what you need. I do that with cars.

Do you get any value out of the iPhone 6 by getting rid of it? Or is it just worn out and needs to be replaced?

I tend to buy the phone I want and then keep it until it is a hinderance. I just got rid of my iPhone 4s last month. I don't think my system has any advantages over just buying what you need.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 11:28 AM   #10
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
fixed
no you didn't fix anything
Old 26th January 2017, 12:16 PM   #11
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

Do you get any value out of the iPhone 6 by getting rid of it? Or is it just worn out and needs to be replaced?

I tend to buy the phone I want and then keep it until it is a hinderance. I just got rid of my iPhone 4s last month. I don't think my system has any advantages over just buying what you need.
The iPhone's battery is acting weird. The geniuses at Apple are going to look into it.

In addition I get 200 for a smartphone every 2 years. So I will have free money to spend in a month.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:25 PM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
no you didn't fix anything
I disagree, for some people a brand is a very compelling reason to buy something, whether that be a Rolex watch or a BMW or a smartphone.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:25 PM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The iPhone's battery is acting weird. The geniuses at Apple are going to look into it.

...snip...
Does it get to something like 30-40% battery life and then switch off and will only switch back on when you plug a power lead in?
Old 26th January 2017, 12:31 PM   #14
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

Replacing the battery is a pretty cheap fix.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 01:24 PM   #15
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Does it get to something like 30-40% battery life and then switch off and will only switch back on when you plug a power lead in?
No, it's goes empty pretty quick. When it hits 30% that accelerates and it goes down to 1% really fast. Then, when I plug it in, it immediately jumps back to 30%.
Apparently a problem that some serial numbers get fixed for free, and I don't have that number, so no free fix.
The official Apple reseller advised me to take it to the Apple store for 'analysis'.

I could just get the battery replaced at the local repair guy and see what happens.
Old 26th January 2017, 01:26 PM   #16
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I disagree, for some people a brand is a very compelling reason to buy something, whether that be a Rolex watch or a BMW or a smartphone.
Where I work: all Apple everywhere. I don't care though.
Old 26th January 2017, 02:18 PM   #17
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

I agree. Some years ago, I drove a Lexus GS300. It was a money pit and I suddenly decided that it was utter lunacy and ditched it. Why did I buy it in the first place? In three parts, status symbol, boy was it a fantastic drive and my BIL was setting out on his career as a car salesman so support was de riguer.

Realistically, it was an awesome drive but two and a half grand in tax and insurance before you even step into it? Really? I discreetly disposed of it so as not to offend the BIL. These days, I drive a very modest car. It does the business and is actually better specced than the Lexus ever was. Such is progress. I kind of like that progress.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy performance motors. But I have no need of them. Nought to sixty in a nano second? So what? When will that ever happen?
As a daily jobbing motor, it simply costs a bucket and adds nothing.

So, these days, I wheel around in a 1.5 diesel estate. All of the running costs are roughly quarter of the lexus of many years ago. It has more gizmos than the Lexus and it looks nice. Sure, it won't win any drag races, but I have no interest in drag races anyway.

The simple fact is that one can spend mad money on a performance car. That is a matter of choice and I can understand that given I have done it myself. However, it matters not a whit when suburban speed limits are 50 mph or less. What are you really claiming?
Old 26th January 2017, 02:25 PM   #18
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

No, it's goes empty pretty quick. When it hits 30% that accelerates and it goes down to 1% really fast. Then, when I plug it in, it immediately jumps back to 30%.
Apparently a problem that some serial numbers get fixed for free, and I don't have that number, so no free fix.
The official Apple reseller advised me to take it to the Apple store for 'analysis'.

I could just get the battery replaced at the local repair guy and see what happens.
It's happening to a lot of people outside the serial numbers Apple admits are faulty,
Old 26th January 2017, 02:33 PM   #19
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Check out Cubot phones Very good spec for the prices and well made.
I hit one for my son to take out when he's skateboarding figuring it won't matter if it gets damaged.
I was so impressed I got one myself.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 03:47 PM   #20
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Check out Cubot phones Very good spec for the prices and well made.
I hit one for my son to take out when he's skateboarding figuring it won't matter if it gets damaged.
I was so impressed I got one myself.
That looks pretty good, actually.
Old 26th January 2017, 04:44 PM   #21
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

I have a Samsung S5, 2+ years old, performs admirably and have only had to replace the battery.
bytewizard is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2017, 08:50 PM   #22
Pantaz
Muse

I've had a Moto G4 for about six months. Great battery life. Small enough to fit comfortably in my pocket, but the screen is still reasonably sized (5 inches.) Less than $150.

My decision making skills closely resemble that of a squirrel when crossing the street.
- Bill Murray
Pantaz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 01:04 AM   #23
Lothian
should be banned

There is also the fact that building a brand costs money in advertising and the like that needs to recouped through price.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 01:21 AM   #24
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Just on the radio: this seems to be a trend.
More people choosing a cheaper phone.

I think people realise that the flagship phones are overkill for their purposes.
Old 27th January 2017, 01:23 AM   #25
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

case in point:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p028sb25
Old 27th January 2017, 01:24 AM   #26
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I agree. Some years ago, I drove a Lexus GS300. It was a money pit and I suddenly decided that it was utter lunacy and ditched it. Why did I buy it in the first place? In three parts, status symbol, boy was it a fantastic drive and my BIL was setting out on his career as a car salesman so support was de riguer.

Realistically, it was an awesome drive but two and a half grand in tax and insurance before you even step into it? Really? I discreetly disposed of it so as not to offend the BIL. These days, I drive a very modest car. It does the business and is actually better specced than the Lexus ever was. Such is progress. I kind of like that progress.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy performance motors. But I have no need of them. Nought to sixty in a nano second? So what? When will that ever happen?
As a daily jobbing motor, it simply costs a bucket and adds nothing.

So, these days, I wheel around in a 1.5 diesel estate. All of the running costs are roughly quarter of the lexus of many years ago. It has more gizmos than the Lexus and it looks nice. Sure, it won't win any drag races, but I have no interest in drag races anyway.

The simple fact is that one can spend mad money on a performance car. That is a matter of choice and I can understand that given I have done it myself. However, it matters not a whit when suburban speed limits are 50 mph or less. What are you really claiming?
My interest in luxury cars has waned in recent years.

When you calculate how much you save over the course of several years, it becomes really compelling.
Old 27th January 2017, 04:00 AM   #27
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

I have a cheap Chinese Android phone (Xiaomi). Similar specs to a top of the range Samsung at the moment of purchase, for about a third the price. The camera isn't great, but good enough, and otherwise I've had no performance issues, and the battery life is actually quite impressive.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 07:57 AM   #28
ceptimus
puzzler

I have a Cubot H1. It has a very large battery (5.2 Ampere hours) so lasts ages on a charge.

I've had it for about a year. Cost me about 100. It's performed well. It has dual sims and room for a micro sd card too.
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 09:04 AM   #29
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Just on the radio: this seems to be a trend.
More people choosing a cheaper phone.

I think people realise that the flagship phones are overkill for their purposes.
So true. A year ago I bought (forgive me) a Lumia 640. Add a large MicroSD card and it's amazing value for money at about a quarter the price of the flagship model, and an excellent phone (with just a single tiny caveat: it was obvious even a year ago that the entire Windows Phone format was circling the drain).

It'll certainly do until Microsoft decide what they're going to replace it with (if anything) and I decide whether to jump ship for some kind of Android thing.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 09:49 AM   #30
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

In addition I get 200 for a smartphone every 2 years. So I will have free money to spend in a month.
I'm not asking to disagree, just looking at the overall picture.

With the car examples mentioned there is typically an added cost to keeping the high end item (higher maintenance) and there is a thriving market for selling it. With phones the cost is mostly at the front end and the used market is rather week for the seller.

So, if the iPhone6 is nicer than the new phones you are considering, then maybe it would be worth trying to figure out if you could spend your allowance on a new battery for it. But if that is not possible, then I would be looking for something that fit the allowance better so that you go the most phone at the least cost over the next two years.

But, if you can find lower cost new phones that are nicer than your iPhone6 then I would not hesitate to move on to the new one if you are not wed to the Apple environment.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 11:45 AM   #31
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
So true. A year ago I bought (forgive me) a Lumia 640. Add a large MicroSD card and it's amazing value for money at about a quarter the price of the flagship model, and an excellent phone (with just a single tiny caveat: it was obvious even a year ago that the entire Windows Phone format was circling the drain).

It'll certainly do until Microsoft decide what they're going to replace it with (if anything) and I decide whether to jump ship for some kind of Android thing.
There is renewed speculation that Microsoft will be re-entering the smart phone market in 2018 or later.

Microsoft's latest mobile patent may provide next-generation Surface device clues
Quote:
A newly revealed Microsoft patent application for a foldable phone and hinge has reignited speculation about the company's plans to re-enter the mobile-device space.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 03:30 PM   #32
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
There is renewed speculation that Microsoft will be re-entering the smart phone market in 2018 or later.

Microsoft's latest mobile patent may provide next-generation Surface device clues
That's interesting, but if they really plan to have no new product until 2018 or beyond, I assume they have written off hope of retaining any of their existing phone users.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2017, 05:49 PM   #33
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
That's interesting, but if they really plan to have no new product until 2018 or beyond, I assume they have written off hope of retaining any of their existing phone users.
Sadly it appears they have, the tech journalist who writes that column publicly gave up and moved to Android a while back. At one of the Redmond press events last year CEO Satya Nadella saw her and asked about her switch to Android. She said that he was not surprised and gave the impression that he understood and accepted that most customers were going to leave for the bigger user base platforms. Most of the Office and Labs team mobile apps come out for Android & iOS first and only Windows 10 Phone later, some of them never even make it to Win10 phone.

As of the Q3 Android is 86.8%, iOS 12.5% and other at 0.4%, that leaves Windows Phone with 0.3% share (they were still @ 1.2% Q4 2015). With such a microscopic market share left, I expect that Microsoft feels the risk of alienating the last few consumers now is a reasonable trade off for taking the time they need to create the phone OS they've always envisioned. They are getting very close to having full Win10 run on ARM processors with x86 emulation so that all desktop apps can be run. The vision is that you stick the phone in a dock with a monitor, keyboard and mouse and use all your favorite desktop programs.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th January 2017, 05:41 PM   #34
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I love technology. I use my phone constantly at work every day.

Last year, I replaced my Samsung Galaxy S3 with a Samsung Galaxy S4. The more recent models are of course much better, but I don't feel it gives me that much more with the price difference. The S4 serves me well, and probably will for a long time.

I never understood people who replace their phone every time a new model comes out, especially as most of them are "casual normies" who just use their phone to call, send messages, check facebook, play some simple games and watch the occasional YouTube video.
Ryokan is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2017, 10:21 PM   #35
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I had to get rid of my brick last year because the G2 network was being shut down.

The new smartphones are bigger (necessary for the fat fingered) and more awkward. They also appear to be more fragile. Of all the fancy extras that I get, the only app that I find useful is the facebook messenger. I can tap into my wifi and send and receive messages for free.
Old 31st January 2017, 04:02 AM   #36
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

sidenote:

A friend of mine has opted for a dumb phone, combined with a tablet.

In a way it's the best of both worlds:
The phone has a week-long battery life, and the tablet is actually good for browsing, video etc.

Unfortunately I use some apps that I need easy access to, like Whatsapp.
Old 1st February 2017, 07:22 AM   #37
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
I love technology. I use my phone constantly at work every day.

Last year, I replaced my Samsung Galaxy S3 with a Samsung Galaxy S4. The more recent models are of course much better, but I don't feel it gives me that much more with the price difference. The S4 serves me well, and probably will for a long time.

I never understood people who replace their phone every time a new model comes out, especially as most of them are "casual normies" who just use their phone to call, send messages, check facebook, play some simple games and watch the occasional YouTube video.
But it's new? Never understood you abnormal people, a new sticker means you need, no you HAVE to have it!
Old 1st February 2017, 08:27 AM   #38
Tolls
Illuminator

But it's new? Never understood you abnormal people, a new sticker means you need, no you HAVE to have it!
I understand the draw of "the shiny", but never really taken to it with phones. Lots of other things, but not really phones.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2017, 03:40 PM   #39
eerok
Quixoticist

A friend of mine has opted for a dumb phone, combined with a tablet.
I looked into getting a dumbphone as a replacement for my landline, but the GSM networks they rely on might not be around for much longer.

I'm fed up with iPhones because they go obsolete too quickly, so I ended up buying a Moto Z Play today. Hardly the dumb thing I originally wanted, but it seems okay.
Old 10th February 2017, 08:18 AM   #40
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I looked into getting a dumbphone as a replacement for my landline, but the GSM networks they rely on might not be around for much longer.

I'm fed up with iPhones because they go obsolete too quickly, so I ended up buying a Moto Z Play today. Hardly the dumb thing I originally wanted, but it seems okay.
Can you define what those 2 hilited terms mean to you ? That's an assertion that I find difficult to agree with.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet