ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags smartphones

Old 10th February 2017, 08:50 AM   #41
mikado
Graduate Poster

Samsung phones are excellent, apple I would happily ditch.
Have had both the s4 and the s7, highly recommend.
personally I use them till i kill them
Old 10th February 2017, 11:26 AM   #42
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Can you define what those 2 hilited terms mean to you ? That's an assertion that I find difficult to agree with.
I have an iPhone 4C and an old MacBook (2008) that I consider obsolete because I can't upgrade the OS or get security updates on them. The MacBook I run Linux on, but the phone is just a cooking timer now.
Old 10th February 2017, 02:14 PM   #43
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I have an iPhone 4C and an old MacBook (2008) that I consider obsolete because I can't upgrade the OS or get security updates on them. The MacBook I run Linux on, but the phone is just a cooking timer now.
The 4s is almost 6 years old. That's obsolete too quick ? I'd hate to hear what you think of android and security update support :-)
Old 10th February 2017, 02:46 PM   #44
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The 4s is almost 6 years old. That's obsolete too quick ? I'd hate to hear what you think of android and security update support :-)
Was still being sold from Apple stock until about 12 months ago.
Old 10th February 2017, 03:33 PM   #45
eerok
Quixoticist

The 4C went obsolete years ago, and my 5C will lose support soon as well. I've given it to my grand nephew for as long as it lasts.

I have two iPads, and when they go stale I'll put Android on them, but I thought it wasn't worth it for the phones.

I have twelve computers/devices, and it's only the Apple products I have this kind of issue with.

ETA: Maybe it's not possible to install Android on an iPad. Oh, well. That's kind of what I'm talking about.

Last edited by eerok; 10th February 2017 at 03:45 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 04:55 PM   #46
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Do they still do the job they did when you got them?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 05:27 PM   #47
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Do they still do the job they did when you got them?
After security updates end, no. It's not wise to go online with unpatched vulnerabilities.
Old 10th February 2017, 06:28 PM   #48
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

The 4C went obsolete years ago, and my 5C will lose support soon as well. I've given it to my grand nephew for as long as it lasts.
The 4S (no such thing as a 4c) did not go obsolete years ago, at least not by any definition of the word obsolete I'm aware of.

I have two iPads, and when they go stale I'll put Android on them, but I thought it wasn't worth it for the phones.

I have twelve computers/devices, and it's only the Apple products I have this kind of issue with.

ETA: Maybe it's not possible to install Android on an iPad.
No, it's not.

Oh, well. That's kind of what I'm talking about.
It's obsolete becuase it can't do something it wasn't designed to do ?

After security updates end, no. It's not wise to go online with unpatched vulnerabilities.
Tell me what terrible things would happen to your iphone if you went online with it right now ?
Old 10th February 2017, 07:44 PM   #49
eerok
Quixoticist

The 4S (no such thing as a 4c) did not go obsolete years ago, at least not by any definition of the word obsolete I'm aware of.
I remember buying it as a 4C in Canada. In any case, it's not a 4S, and it won't upgrade to iOS 8, which was released in 2014. There are no security updates for it, either.
Old 13th February 2017, 10:44 AM   #50
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

I remember buying it as a 4C in Canada. In any case, it's not a 4S, and it won't upgrade to iOS 8, which was released in 2014. There are no security updates for it, either.
You must mis-remember, then, as it was never marketed or described as a 4C.

It was introduced in 2010, and apple supported it through 4 versions of iOS (4-7)

Tell me what terrible things would happen to your iphone 4 if you went online with it right now ?
Old 13th February 2017, 10:49 AM   #51
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I was using my 4s up until I got my 7+. The main reason I got rid of it was because it was a bit laggy and it looked a bit shabby if I had to pull it out during a client meeting. I still went online with it even though I wasn't getting iOS updates. I have it in a drawer in case anyone in my family breaks their phone and needs it as a backup.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2017, 08:56 AM   #52
SatansMaleVoiceChoir
Illuminator

My Mum is still using my Dad's old 4S right now. It makes and takes phone calls; sends and receives email; browses the web; sends and receives text messages with or without attachments; and it plays music. Given that these are all things it was sold as being able to do, I fail to see how it's 'obsolete'...

Do not believe hastily. - Ovid

There is no worse lie than a truth misunderstood by those who hear it. - William James
SatansMaleVoiceChoir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet