ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy

Reply
Old 9th February 2017, 07:01 PM   #81
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator
 
MinnesotaBrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,959
I should look up to see if a cps is a mental health practioner. There are a lot of things people try. I really don't see the need stigmatise someone's belief system. I am not really see the harm in it other than there are probably more productive than things he could be doing with his time than telepathy
__________________
Formerly known as MNBrant.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 9th February 2017 at 07:02 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2017, 07:14 PM   #82
John Jones
Philosopher
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,922
Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
I should look up to see if a cps is a mental health practioner. There are a lot of things people try. I really don't see the need stigmatise someone's belief system. I am not really see the harm in it other than there are probably more productive than things he could be doing with his time than telepathy

That's kind of the whole point when dealing with schizophrenics, isn't it?

My mother was schizophrenic, and she spent so many years weaving conspiracy theories into her life. First it was communists, then lesbians, and then drug dealers, then the KKK, and then the cops who were conspiring against her.

She actually wrote a letter to the Chief of Police in Birmingham AL, threatening to kill him if he didn't stop sending Public Utility trucks, pizza delivery drivers, and plumbing service trucks to follow her every move and to spy on her.

We moved her out of that city before they busted her.

There is a rest of the story if anyone is interested.
__________________
"Want to debate effectively in any format? Pay attention to your critics" -JayUtah

Last edited by John Jones; 9th February 2017 at 07:20 PM.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2017, 09:10 PM   #83
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,796
I'll bet a couple of nickles the story will get more and more amazing and impossible with each subsequent telling.
__________________
I AM THE DREADED PAPIER-MÂCHÉ CENSOR!
------------------------------------------------
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2017, 09:50 PM   #84
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,292
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
But if you read my reasons for believing she used telepathy you will see in the course of talking about what I was doing she told me at least five facts about the equipment I did not know. Upon those facts my sanity depended. I was able to be sure she was doing it because of them.
Well, there it is. There is literally nothing that anyone can say or do or demonstrate or suggest that would show to you that you're wrong. You have too much invested into the delusion at this point.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2017, 11:33 PM   #85
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Well, there it is. There is literally nothing that anyone can say or do or demonstrate or suggest that would show to you that you're wrong. You have too much invested into the delusion at this point.
That was then, this is now. I recuperated and recovered from the utter nervous exhaustion that my experience caused me. It was over twenty years ago. Since then I have not experienced any more people reading my thoughts.
It was only that one office girl that seemed to have that ability.

I maintain that my conclusion it actually happened is based on logic and that she told me five facts I did not know. If I believed it was just hallucinations I could forget about it. But I am sure it was the truth.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2017, 11:43 PM   #86
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,401
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
I'll bet a couple of nickles the story will get more and more amazing and impossible with each subsequent telling.
Sorry, I need my nickles.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 10:26 AM   #87
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster
 
MostlyDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I believe I said in the letter that my employers were guilty of abusing a mentally ill person, conspiracy and negligence. Employers have a duty of care.
Ok, you are claiming to be mentally ill at the time. You also claim that the employer was harboring psychic employees who tormented you. Do you see how readers might have an 'aha!' moment, based on your recounting?

Also, I am a little confused. You say the psychic woman told you facts that you did not know. Seems like she just knew stuff you were not thinking, which is kind of the opposite of receiving thoughts you were broadcasting.

Quote:
He never spoke to me, the first thing I knew about it was a call from the police requesting I attend the police station.
Pretty sure he was within his rights, as it doesn't sound like you were following legal requirements for a pro se investigation. Were you following the requirements of your State?

Quote:
As far as I am concerned all this began at the interview for the job, when I heard the girls in the office talking about me. One of the workers said to the manager. "He seems alright" and the manager said. "he probably would at the interview" Then I started work and everyone seemed to be talking about me deliberately from day one.
As you claim to be mentally ill at the time, is it surprising that others might have noticed unusual behaviors soon after being hired? You have volunteered that you were sort of hiding behind a door to eavesdrop on two women. This kind of thing does draw attention from coworkers, after all.
__________________
-Never trust a white man in a suit-
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 10:46 AM   #88
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
Ok, you are claiming to be mentally ill at the time. You also claim that the employer was harboring psychic employees who tormented you. Do you see how readers might have an 'aha!' moment, based on your recounting?

Also, I am a little confused. You say the psychic woman told you facts that you did not know. Seems like she just knew stuff you were not thinking, which is kind of the opposite of receiving thoughts you were broadcasting.


As you claim to be mentally ill at the time, is it surprising that others might have noticed unusual behaviors soon after being hired? You have volunteered that you were sort of hiding behind a door to eavesdrop on two women. This kind of thing does draw attention from coworkers, after all.
I never told my employers I had schizophrenia, but after over a year of working for them I was getting so nervously exhausted I went sick for two weeks. I had my doctor state schizophrenia on the medical certificates, and when I returned I expected the manager to talk to me about if I was well enough to do the job. But it was as if I had never been away. Nobody ever mentioned it. No fellow worker asked me how I was, and no member of the management ever mentioned it. How likely is that if they did not already know?

As far as I am concerned the police colluded with my ex employer from before I went to the interview. They had the staff talk about me deliberately to drive me to a breakdown so I would get put in a mental hospital. My dumb assed employer proceeded to try and break my mind while I struggled to solve electronic problems. What possessed them to undertake this I do not know and I tried to do the job while being tormented with psychological abuse.
But after some months I first experienced that they knew what I was thinking as they said something about what was going on in my mind.

The girl knew what I was thinking and at one point I tried to pray for strength and I heard the office staff commenting on it.

I have said I know I was hallucinating some of the time, but if you read back the accounts of the girl talking about the equipment I was working on you will see that on occasions she told me five facts I did not know about the work I was doing. I heard her talking about what I was working on and her voice came through the open office door. She could not see me unless she had closed circuit TV and I looked around for that and found nothing.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 11:40 AM   #89
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster
 
MostlyDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,104
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I never told my employers I had schizophrenia, but after over a year of working for them I was getting so nervously exhausted I went sick for two weeks. I had my doctor state schizophrenia on the medical certificates, and when I returned I expected the manager to talk to me about if I was well enough to do the job. But it was as if I had never been away. Nobody ever mentioned it. No fellow worker asked me how I was, and no member of the management ever mentioned it. How likely is that if they did not already know?
Consider the hilited from a rational point of view. I am confident that everyone could tell. I am also confident that your recollections of this time should not be considered reliable.

Quote:
As far as I am concerned the police colluded with my ex employer from before I went to the interview. They had the staff talk about me deliberately to drive me to a breakdown so I would get put in a mental hospital. My dumb assed employer proceeded to try and break my mind while I struggled to solve electronic problems. What possessed them to undertake this I do not know and I tried to do the job while being tormented with psychological abuse.
But after some months I first experienced that they knew what I was thinking as they said something about what was going on in my mind.

The girl knew what I was thinking and at one point I tried to pray for strength and I heard the office staff commenting on it.
These are all signs of mental illness, which you acknowledge you were suffering from, rather than evidence of conspiracy and psychic sadists.

Quote:
I have said I know I was hallucinating some of the time, but if you read back the accounts of the girl talking about the equipment I was working on you will see that on occasions she told me five facts I did not know about the work I was doing. I heard her talking about what I was working on and her voice came through the open office door. She could not see me unless she had closed circuit TV and I looked around for that and found nothing.
You have said this frequently. It does not demonstrate anything about psychic powers. It just shows that she knew five things that you did not, which has nothing to do with mind-reading (you say it was not even in your mind, so she couldn't read it, right?)

Don't you think it is plausible in hindsight that during the time you suffered from mental illness, you may not be recalling events accurately?
__________________
-Never trust a white man in a suit-
MostlyDead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 11:54 AM   #90
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post

These are all signs of mental illness, which you acknowledge you were suffering from, rather than evidence of conspiracy and psychic sadists.
I realize that nobody on this forum is going to believe in telepathy, but I maintain it exists and reason has told me that it does.
Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
You have said this frequently. It does not demonstrate anything about psychic powers. It just shows that she knew five things that you did not, which has nothing to do with mind-reading (you say it was not even in your mind, so she couldn't read it, right?)
NO, I said she said, "HE THINKS he can fix that machine easily but he can't because the part is out of stock" and "HE THINKS that's a pressure switch"
Besides there were a thousand other times I heard her talking about what I was thinking but there is no logical way of knowing if I was hallucinating then or not because she did not tell me any facts.

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post

Don't you think it is plausible in hindsight that during the time you suffered from mental illness, you may not be recalling events accurately?
Nope, my mind is logical. I am trained in microprocessors and logic gates.
But I found that was not enough to stop them driving me nuts so I read about personality profilers and forensic and behaviourist psychologists.
My conclusion is they are a bunch of manipulating bastards who studied psychology to use it for their own ends. The are not psychiatrists they did not take the Hippocratic oath and I fell foul of one who advised the police on a strategy to put me in hospital against my wishes.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 12:12 PM   #91
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,173
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
...Nope, my mind is logical. I am trained in microprocessors and logic gates...

That maybe so, but this

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
...As far as I am concerned the police colluded with my ex employer from before I went to the interview. They had the staff talk about me deliberately to drive me to a breakdown so I would get put in a mental hospital. My dumb assed employer proceeded to try and break my mind while I struggled to solve electronic problems. What possessed them to undertake this I do not know and I tried to do the job while being tormented with psychological abuse...
does not make any logical sense.


How could the police collude with your employer before you had an interview? And why would they care?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 12:12 PM   #92
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,030
So, it's impossible that your mental illness affected these experiences and memories, but quite likely that whole branches of the mental health profession are conspiring with law enforcement and your former employers to drive you nuts, and they're using magic to do it?

I'm sorry, but that sounds neither logical nor likely to me.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 12:25 PM   #93
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
That maybe so, but this
does not make any logical sense.
How could the police collude with your employer before you had an interview? And why would they care?
Because I drew myself to the attention of the police six months before while I was at a previous job from which I was later made redundant. The police were on my case because of an incident where I threatened a man who stopped his daughter from going out with me. I had a blank firing gun and used to loose off the occasional blank, and my landlady warned me a policeman had come and asked her if I had a gun. It was a small town and my behaviour attracted the police attention before I got my last job. They had already told the neighbours to talk about me deliberately before I went to work for my last employer. The strategy of talking about schizophrenics to give them a breakdown went into motion like a well oiled machine and I was not expected to fight against it as long as I did. I believe the police in general have adopted this strategy on others before they got to me but with more success So then they raised the stakes by getting my last employer to give me a job doubtlessly knowing there was a psychic working there.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 12:30 PM   #94
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
So, it's impossible that your mental illness affected these experiences and memories, but quite likely that whole branches of the mental health profession are conspiring with law enforcement and your former employers to drive you nuts, and they're using magic to do it?

I'm sorry, but that sounds neither logical nor likely to me.
No, the medical profession know nothing about it. I had to see a psychiatrist in order to claim sick benefits when I finally walked out of my last job and I told him all this but he did not believe a word of it. Nobody from the police would ever tell my own doctor because they would admit liability.
The person that did this to me was almost certainly a consultant psychologist not a doctor. And that bastard owes me my life back and years of lost earnings. But I have no proof and my ex employers would not admit it so there is no more I can do.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 12:59 PM   #95
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,173
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Because I drew myself to the attention of the police six months before while I was at a previous job from which I was later made redundant. The police were on my case because of an incident where I threatened a man who stopped his daughter from going out with me. I had a blank firing gun and used to loose off the occasional blank, and my landlady warned me a policeman had come and asked her if I had a gun. It was a small town and my behaviour attracted the police attention before I got my last job. They had already told the neighbours to talk about me deliberately before I went to work for my last employer. The strategy of talking about schizophrenics to give them a breakdown went into motion like a well oiled machine and I was not expected to fight against it as long as I did. I believe the police in general have adopted this strategy on others before they got to me but with more success So then they raised the stakes by getting my last employer to give me a job doubtlessly knowing there was a psychic working there.

By your own admission you are a "diagnosed a paranoid Schizophrenic".

Paranoid Schizophrenics suffer from the following:

Quote:
Paranoid schizophrenia is a subtype of schizophrenia in which the patient has delusions (false beliefs) that a person or some individuals are plotting against them or members of their family. Paranoid schizophrenia is the most common schizophrenia type.

The majority of people with paranoid schizophrenia, as with most schizophrenia subtypes may also have auditory hallucinations - they hear things that are not real...
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/192621.php

http://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/g...nia-paranoia#1

Given that you have a predisposition for delusions that people are plotting against you and that you also may be suffering from auditory hallucinations as well, how likely is it that your employer/police etc. were trying to get you vs. something that your mind manufactured because you suffer from paranoid schizophrenia?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 01:18 PM   #96
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
By your own admission you are a "diagnosed a paranoid Schizophrenic".

Paranoid Schizophrenics suffer from the following:

Given that you have a predisposition for delusions that people are plotting against you and that you also may be suffering from auditory hallucinations as well, how likely is it that your employer/police etc. were trying to get you vs. something that your mind manufactured because you suffer from paranoid schizophrenia?
I know all about paranoid schizophrenia, and its earlier form which was simple schizophrenia that I was diagnosed with in 1969. This is one reason why it was so hard for me to determine if I was hallucinating or not, knowing that a symptom of schizophrenia is you think you are broadcasting your thoughts.
But I maintain the facts the girl told me were accurate and I did not know them before she told me. So it is clear to me that on those occasions I was not hallucinating. She was receiving my thoughts and telling the office staff what I was thinking.

I survived the earlier form of schizophrenia in the 1960's in which I heard voices in my ears by analyzing what they said to see if it made sense or if they told me facts I did not know. When I realized they only talk rubbish I stopped listening to them. They then became of no consequence to me and were just background noise. I would have reached the same conclusion about paranoid voices of people talking about me if they had been illogical. But I repeat I was told facts that convince me some of the time people were deliberately talking about me to drive me to a breakdown.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 08:40 PM   #97
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator
 
MinnesotaBrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,959
Pm me, I am a real mental health professional and have seen all kinds of treatments work. here let me read this and tell you what I think.

At first I checked to see if this was all new to you, and no, my gods!, you have been struggling with this since 1969. Think of it this way, if you were any kind of telepath you would have figured it out by now, so its best to put it behind you. I know living alone this things can stick, but for me most of my past is like some kind of grey fuzz, I can bring it up with a reasonable degree of accuracy but I don't spend much time pondering it. What I usually tell people is to concentrate on what their goals are, your goal could be education. Education can work wonders for your telepathy since you will be smarter, have more dendritic connections, and probably have a more efficient brain than your non schizophrenic counterpart. Schizophrenics lose more grey matter, but grey matter is overrated anyway. It's like always being able to win at Trivial Pursuit, but you can't work because your back is bad. Obviously, by the stigmatizing comments made by the posters here, you can see that is possible, and even likely, for you to get better. I know you think its late to try, but really it isn't. Give something a try and let me know how it goes.
__________________
Formerly known as MNBrant.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 10th February 2017 at 08:53 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 09:00 PM   #98
John Jones
Philosopher
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,922
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
I'll bet a couple of nickles the story will get more and more amazing and impossible with each subsequent telling.
I can't see how it could.
__________________
"Want to debate effectively in any format? Pay attention to your critics" -JayUtah
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 09:10 PM   #99
John Jones
Philosopher
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,922
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Because I drew myself to the attention of the police six months before while I was at a previous job from which I was later made redundant. The police were on my case because of an incident where I threatened a man who stopped his daughter from going out with me. I had a blank firing gun and used to loose off the occasional blank, and my landlady warned me a policeman had come and asked her if I had a gun. It was a small town and my behaviour attracted the police attention before I got my last job. They had already told the neighbours to talk about me deliberately before I went to work for my last employer. The strategy of talking about schizophrenics to give them a breakdown went into motion like a well oiled machine and I was not expected to fight against it as long as I did. I believe the police in general have adopted this strategy on others before they got to me but with more success So then they raised the stakes by getting my last employer to give me a job doubtlessly knowing there was a psychic working there.
This is hopelessly nutty reasoning. Please seek help. You don't have to live this way.
__________________
"Want to debate effectively in any format? Pay attention to your critics" -JayUtah
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2017, 11:57 PM   #100
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13,379
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Because I drew myself to the attention of the police six months before while I was at a previous job from which I was later made redundant. The police were on my case because of an incident where I threatened a man who stopped his daughter from going out with me. I had a blank firing gun and used to loose off the occasional blank, and my landlady warned me a policeman had come and asked her if I had a gun. It was a small town and my behaviour attracted the police attention before I got my last job. They had already told the neighbours to talk about me deliberately before I went to work for my last employer. The strategy of talking about schizophrenics to give them a breakdown went into motion like a well oiled machine and I was not expected to fight against it as long as I did. I believe the police in general have adopted this strategy on others before they got to me but with more success So then they raised the stakes by getting my last employer to give me a job doubtlessly knowing there was a psychic working there.
Except that there is no such strategy, policy or even any such thing as a psychic.

Does not the fact that you are frankly discussing things which do not exist as though they were real give you any pause for thought?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 01:34 AM   #101
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
This is hopelessly nutty reasoning. Please seek help. You don't have to live this way.
Sorry about your mother, it must have been hard, but that's no reason to write me off too. I maintain everything I have said is rational.
I put it to you that if the police in a small town were informed by a prominent citizen that someone had made threats against them they would be duty bound to investigate it. Especially in this case because some of the police were his friends. If they then found they were dealing with an untreated schizophrenic that might be dangerous they would want to see that person under control and treated in hospital. So what better way than to drive that mentally unstable person to a breakdown by psychological abuse.

They probably thought I would crack in a week, but I was not so easy to undermine. I remember one incident where the next door neighbours were talking about me deliberately in their garden and I shouted something I can't remember. But I remember the neighbours reply, he said " Oh my God he is in the bathroom, they told us not to do it unless he was further away than that".

The bathroom was right over their garden, and clearly the police had told people to only talk about me when I was too far away to hear clearly.

Another thing I heard the neighbour say was. " The psychiatrist said I know what's wrong with him, he is hypersensitive and he needs a spell in hospital"


That same neighbour eventually shouted at me from the garden," If you don't shut up we will get you put away" This was because I was ranting to myself while drunk. Two days later two doctors and a social worker backed by three police officers came to see me, but I talked my way out off getting sectioned.
But their appearance was clear evidence that the neighbour had tried to get me into a hospital.

I know it's frustrating that a loony like me will not just give up and lay down and die, but I am too mentally strong to be easily driven mad by people that do not even know there is a spirit world. I do know this as I have had evidence of that too. I could control my chakras and heal myself by channeling psychic energy through them . The police did not know what they were messing with, but they do by now and they leave me alone.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 11th February 2017 at 01:44 AM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 01:36 AM   #102
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Except that there is no such strategy, policy or even any such thing as a psychic.

Does not the fact that you are frankly discussing things which do not exist as though they were real give you any pause for thought?
I have though about it endlessly for years and years, and my conclusions remain the same. There is a spirit world, telepathy exists, some people are genuine psychics ,and some policemen are bastards.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 01:40 AM   #103
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
Pm me, I am a real mental health professional and have seen all kinds of treatments work. here let me read this and tell you what I think.

At first I checked to see if this was all new to you, and no, my gods!, you have been struggling with this since 1969. Think of it this way, if you were any kind of telepath you would have figured it out by now, so its best to put it behind you. I know living alone this things can stick, but for me most of my past is like some kind of grey fuzz, I can bring it up with a reasonable degree of accuracy but I don't spend much time pondering it. What I usually tell people is to concentrate on what their goals are, your goal could be education. Education can work wonders for your telepathy since you will be smarter, have more dendritic connections, and probably have a more efficient brain than your non schizophrenic counterpart. Schizophrenics lose more grey matter, but grey matter is overrated anyway. It's like always being able to win at Trivial Pursuit, but you can't work because your back is bad. Obviously, by the stigmatizing comments made by the posters here, you can see that is possible, and even likely, for you to get better. I know you think its late to try, but really it isn't. Give something a try and let me know how it goes.
To put your mind at rest, I do now take 15mg of abilify once a day. I have been doing this for a few years to calm my nerves, because before that I was drinking excessively for the same reason and the alcohol was turning my brain to mush. I have not had a drink now for several years and I am quite stable. I have tried stopping the abilify from time to time but I experience too much stress and go back on it.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 02:05 AM   #104
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 8,476
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I put it to you that if the police in a small town were informed by a prominent citizen that someone had made threats against them they would be duty bound to investigate it. Especially in this case because some of the police were his friends. If they then found they were dealing with an untreated schizophrenic that might be dangerous they would want to see that person under control and treated in hospital. So what better way than to drive that mentally unstable person to a breakdown by psychological abuse.

They probably thought I would crack in a week, but I was not so easy to undermine. I remember one incident where the next door neighbours were talking about me deliberately in their garden and I shouted something I can't remember. But I remember the neighbours reply, he said " Oh my God he is in the bathroom, they told us not to do it unless he was further away than that".

The bathroom was right over their garden, and clearly the police had told people to only talk about me when I was too far away to hear clearly.

Another thing I heard the neighbour say was. " The psychiatrist said I know what's wrong with him, he is hypersensitive and he needs a spell in hospital"


That same neighbour eventually shouted at me from the garden," If you don't shut up we will get you put away" This was because I was ranting to myself while drunk. Two days later two doctors and a social worker backed by three police officers came to see me, but I talked my way out off getting sectioned.
But their appearance was clear evidence that the neighbour had tried to get me into a hospital.
Translation: a mentally unstable individual was causing concern in his community, to the point where the police and a psychiatrist were consulted. The advice given was that, although it seemed clear this individual would benefit from a spell in hospital. their behaviour did not (yet) warrant sectioning. Neighbours were advised not to discuss the individual where he could hear them, as that would feed his paranoia, but slipped up by doing so in their garden when the individual was within earshot. They also once (understandably) threatened the individual with sectioning when provoked by his antisocial behaviour. At one point the individual's behaviour deteriorated to the point where sectioning was seriously considered, but an interview at his home convinced police and social workers that it was still not warranted.

Quote:
I know it's frustrating that a loony like me will not just give up and lay down and die, but I am too mentally strong to be easily driven mad by people that do not even know there is a spirit world. I do know this as I have had evidence of that too. I could control my chakras and heal myself by channeling psychic energy through them . The police did not know what they were messing with, but they do by now and they leave me alone.
Translation: Eventually (after episodes of paranoia that led him to seek paranormal explanations of mundane experiences) the individual did reach the point where medical treatment was sought and received. He is now on medication, which has modified his behaviour to the point where he is no longer considered a concern to his community.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 02:16 AM   #105
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Translation: a mentally unstable individual was causing concern in his community, to the point where the police and a psychiatrist were consulted. The advice given was that, although it seemed clear this individual would benefit from a spell in hospital. their behaviour did not (yet) warrant sectioning. Neighbours were advised not to discuss the individual where he could hear them, as that would feed his paranoia, but slipped up by doing so in their garden when the individual was within earshot. They also once (understandably) threatened the individual with sectioning when provoked by his antisocial behaviour. At one point the individual's behaviour deteriorated to the point where sectioning was seriously considered, but an interview at his home convinced police and social workers that it was still not warranted.
You didn't know my neighbour. He was a bastard, one time he said of me.
"I think the best thing he can do is shoot himself"
He finally got me evicted and his parting shot was.
"Thank God we finally got rid of him"

So much for community care.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 02:48 AM   #106
MikeG
Now. Do it now.
 
MikeG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 16,345
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
There is a spirit world
Wrong

Quote:
telepathy exists
Wrong

Quote:
some people are genuine psychics
Wrong

Quote:
and some policemen are bastards.
Correct

1/4 = 25% Must do better.
__________________
After a while you can work on points for style
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 02:54 AM   #107
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 8,476
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
You didn't know my neighbour. He was a bastard, one time he said of me.
"I think the best thing he can do is shoot himself"
He finally got me evicted and his parting shot was.
"Thank God we finally got rid of him"

So much for community care.
I have to say that if I had a neighbour who kept me awake at night with drunken rants I would be less than favourably disposed to them too, though I hope I would try to be more understanding than your neighbour if it was clear that the guy was mentally ill and it was not his fault. I would also discuss him with others in the community to try to decide the best way to deal with him, consult the police and social workers if his behaviour continued to be antisocial, and heave a sigh of relief when he finally moved out.

I've come up with a possible explanation of your experiences with the apparently psychic colleague. "He thinks X when Y is really the case" does not, of course mean that the person who is saying it can read minds; it's possible to work out what someone is thinking just by observing them. Everybody does it all the time, and if your colleague was keeping an eye on what you were doing and knew how the piece of equipment you were working on should be fixed (and she clearly knew it better than you did) she would easily have been able to work out your thought processes. The mystery is: why did your colleague not help you by telling you these things directly, instead of telling her friends when she thought you weren't listening; that was a very cruel thing to do.

My theory is that you were set the fixing of this piece of equipment as a test by your employer, and the "psychic" colleague (who already knew exactly what was wrong with it) was strictly instructed not to help you. She was also instructed not to discuss the fact that it was a test with anyone else in your hearing, but like your neighbour she occasionally slipped up. I suspect the intention was to find a legitimate reason to fire someone whose behaviour was causing them concern - your failure to fix it would have provided the excuse they needed. Ironically your paranoia worked in your favour, because by eavesdropping on your colleague you were able to pick up sufficient clues to work out what was wrong and fix it.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 03:32 AM   #108
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,030
I get the impression that the 'girl' in the office didn't know anything about the machines and that she was too far away to be within earshot at the time. The door was closed, so she couldn't have seen him blow into the tube.

Seems to me that Scorpion's internal monologue about what could be wrong with the equipment was somehow interpreted as an external voice. And when the seasoned engineer's hunch about a machine he was familiar with turned out to be correct, he saw that as further proof that it had to have come from outside, because he 'didn't know'. That an office worker with no technical background (an assumption on my part) knew more about the machine than he did, and was influencing him psychically to break his mind was somehow more plausible to him than the idea that his illness might cause him to externalize standard internal monologue about how to go about fixing the machine.

But nothing we say can convince him that he might be wrong, he's got too much invested in being right, and still appears quite paranoid.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 06:50 AM   #109
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Just in passing let me tell you some of my encounters with police officers. They usually walk in pairs and my experiences include the following. One officer said to another.
"If what we have done to him ever comes out there will be hell to pay"
On another occasion two officers were approaching me and one said " I want to see what he will do" and as he drew level with me he stepped into my path then stepped back.
I walked on and stopped and turned round and they had disappeared. Then one of them leaned out of a shop doorway and looked at me.
On another occasion two officers drove by me and one looked at me and put up his hand and made motions of talking with his hand, the other officer said, "he is probably targeting you now" (I lip read him) So the first officer laughed and put his hand over his face as they passed by.
I told a psychiatrist all these things but he said "The police don't do things like that, come and see me in three months" So I walked out and slammed the door. I no longer see a psychiatrist as I am a pensioner and I do not need sick benefits. So I no longer need some dumb quack to humour me.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 07:00 AM   #110
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I get the impression that the 'girl' in the office didn't know anything about the machines and that she was too far away to be within earshot at the time. The door was closed, so she couldn't have seen him blow into the tube.

Seems to me that Scorpion's internal monologue about what could be wrong with the equipment was somehow interpreted as an external voice. And when the seasoned engineer's hunch about a machine he was familiar with turned out to be correct, he saw that as further proof that it had to have come from outside, because he 'didn't know'. That an office worker with no technical background (an assumption on my part) knew more about the machine than he did, and was influencing him psychically to break his mind was somehow more plausible to him than the idea that his illness might cause him to externalize standard internal monologue about how to go about fixing the machine.

But nothing we say can convince him that he might be wrong, he's got too much invested in being right, and still appears quite paranoid.
Nice theory, but if your read back about my working on a gas analyzer you will see the girl told me that the inlet pipe was broken and I did not know that. But when I heard her voice I tipped it over and looked at the back and sure enough the pipe was broken. She also told me they were out of stock, and I did not know that either. Those are both facts I could not have subconsciously
known.
From that point on I knew I was not just going insane and she was telepathic.

I never said any of this to my employers at the time, I was too mentally exhausted . I simply walked out of the job after 18 months and shouted.
"I know you have been using suggestion on me and there is nothing I can do but get out " The worker on the next bench said, "He doesn't know what he is doing, we won't have to give him anything now".
The workshop manager said "Just go home"
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 07:20 AM   #111
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Incidentally, I think the office girl was responsible for ordering spare parts, so she would have had extensive knowledge of all the machines.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 07:33 AM   #112
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I have to say that if I had a neighbour who kept me awake at night with drunken rants I would be less than favourably disposed to them too, though I hope I would try to be more understanding than your neighbour if it was clear that the guy was mentally ill and it was not his fault. I would also discuss him with others in the community to try to decide the best way to deal with him, consult the police and social workers if his behaviour continued to be antisocial, and heave a sigh of relief when he finally moved out.

I've come up with a possible explanation of your experiences with the apparently psychic colleague. "He thinks X when Y is really the case" does not, of course mean that the person who is saying it can read minds; it's possible to work out what someone is thinking just by observing them. Everybody does it all the time, and if your colleague was keeping an eye on what you were doing and knew how the piece of equipment you were working on should be fixed (and she clearly knew it better than you did) she would easily have been able to work out your thought processes. The mystery is: why did your colleague not help you by telling you these things directly, instead of telling her friends when she thought you weren't listening; that was a very cruel thing to do.

My theory is that you were set the fixing of this piece of equipment as a test by your employer, and the "psychic" colleague (who already knew exactly what was wrong with it) was strictly instructed not to help you. She was also instructed not to discuss the fact that it was a test with anyone else in your hearing, but like your neighbour she occasionally slipped up. I suspect the intention was to find a legitimate reason to fire someone whose behaviour was causing them concern - your failure to fix it would have provided the excuse they needed. Ironically your paranoia worked in your favour, because by eavesdropping on your colleague you were able to pick up sufficient clues to work out what was wrong and fix it.
Yea ! Nice theory, but I fixed hundreds of machines over the 18 months I worked for them, and as far as I recall my behaviour was largely to sit at my bench working as hard as I could. I did not run around screaming.
As I have said all this started at the interview when I heard the office girls talking about me, and it went on for all my employment.
If I had known what they were going to do to me I never would have worked there in the first place.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 07:40 AM   #113
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 13,379
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Just in passing let me tell you some of my encounters with police officers. They usually walk in pairs and my experiences include the following. One officer said to another.
No. Two man foot patrols have mostly vanished. That I am aware, they only occur in very localised areas where some individual is causing problems. Had that many years ago when some nutter took to knifing tyres for giggles. . Two man patrols were, for a time, commonplace. Once convicted, and sentenced, two man patrols stopped.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
"If what we have done to him ever comes out there will be hell to pay"
Unevidenced claim.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
On another occasion two officers were approaching me and one said " I want to see what he will do" and as he drew level with me he stepped into my path then stepped back.
As they should. It behoves them to at least make an assessment of YOUR current state. That is what we pay cops to do.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I walked on and stopped and turned round and they had disappeared.
Had the really disappeared?
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Then one of them leaned out of a shop doorway and looked at me.
No the had not disappeared. And what exactly is the issue with cops looking at anything? They are paid to look at things.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
On another occasion two officers drove by me and one looked at me and put up his hand and made motions of talking with his hand, the other officer said, "he is probably targeting you now" (I lip read him) So the first officer laughed and put his hand over his face as they passed by.
Did they pass by or stop and talk to you? It cannot be both. And what exactly are your qualifications in lip-reading anyway?

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I told a psychiatrist all these things but he said "The police don't do things like that, come and see me in three months" So I walked out and slammed the door. I no longer see a psychiatrist as I am a pensioner and I do not need sick benefits. So I no longer need some dumb quack to humour me.
That is baloney. On an unrelated matter I have a therapist of my very own. 3 months would be utterly stupid and useless. When my eldest had a crisis and started to self harm, her feet didn't even touch the floor. This is not even vaguely plausible.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Nice theory, but if your read back about my working on a gas analyzer you will see the girl told me that the inlet pipe was broken and I did not know that. But when I heard her voice I tipped it over and looked at the back and sure enough the pipe was broken. She also told me they were out of stock, and I did not know that either. Those are both facts I could not have subconsciously
known.
As an engineer myself, I know that is nonsense.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
From that point on I knew I was not just going insane and she was telepathic.
Nope. You decided so for no reason whatever.

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I never said any of this to my employers at the time, I was too mentally exhausted . I simply walked out of the job after 18 months and shouted.
And you think this is somehow a rational course of action?

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
"I know you have been using suggestion on me and there is nothing I can do but get out " The worker on the next bench said, "He doesn't know what he is doing, we won't have to give him anything now".
The workshop manager said "Just go home"
And I have been there in the very position of telling an employee to go home. It is not unusual much as you really want to dress it up so.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 07:52 AM   #114
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
No. Two man foot patrols have mostly vanished. That I am aware, they only occur in very localised areas where some individual is causing problems. Had that many years ago when some nutter took to knifing tyres for giggles. . Two man patrols were, for a time, commonplace. Once convicted, and sentenced, two man patrols stopped.
This was years ago and I can count up to two. There were two walking by.

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
That is baloney. On an unrelated matter I have a therapist of my very own. 3 months would be utterly stupid and useless. When my eldest had a crisis and started to self harm, her feet didn't even touch the floor. This is not even vaguely plausible..
What are you talking about, it is very difficult to see a psychiatrist and when you do, once you are diagnosed you are lucky to get five minutes every three months.

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
As an engineer myself, I know that is nonsense.
Just exactly how do you know that is nonsense, do explain.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 09:04 AM   #115
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,796
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I can't see how it could.
Things like this always do, It starts out as a mundane perhaps quirky experience and than over time Scorpion will be telling the story of Spielberg proportions.
__________________
I AM THE DREADED PAPIER-MÂCHÉ CENSOR!
------------------------------------------------
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th February 2017, 05:41 PM   #116
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator
 
MinnesotaBrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,959
If your thoughts are transmitted for real, you have a real responsibility. Can you imagine the chaos you would cause if you had, for instance, a headache? One can only imagine the horrors. I am making this semi bitchy thread slightly funny. Good luck with your telepathy thing. I personally don't feel threatened by it even though you have a yellow canary for a face and red vampire eyes

1. yeah, voices can tell you things you don't already know. However, its not a particularly effective way to learn, kind of right up there with sleep learning.

2. for instance, I remember having voices give me directions to my wife's work when I was so psychotic that I couldn't even see the street signs. however there are far more effective modes of navigation.

3. The voice you haven't heard is the one that tells you that you are not special. You will continue to be not special until you think you are not special, at which point you will be special. Let me look at the rest of your posts. I can't believe nobody has told you this yet.

4. I guess I am superstitious and do believe in curses. I am not suggesting you go find a gypsy, but its helpful way to get a grip when you look at it as a curse and try to find a way to either change it, or live under it.

5. Commentards on Jref, doctor, hospitals, mental health professionals, your neighbour, your co-worker, your best friend, your enemy, can all do things that are not in your best interests. This does not make them special, telepathic, a vampire, your friend, your enemy, or anything. Its just a fact

6. Good luck with it, feel free to question anything your feel like.

Brant
__________________
Formerly known as MNBrant.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 11th February 2017 at 05:56 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2017, 08:15 AM   #117
Bladesman87
Scholar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 105
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Those are both facts I could not have subconsciously known
Ah, but nobody's suggesting that you knew with any certainty. They're suggesting that you had a subconscious thought of a possibility of what could have been wrong, and then it turned out that your lucky guess was right.

You said way back at the beginning that the thoughts you heard were almost always wrong (I think you said 98%). That once in a blue moon your intuition, misheard as a voice, was right is not at all surprising.
Bladesman87 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2017, 12:06 PM   #118
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by Bladesman87 View Post
Ah, but nobody's suggesting that you knew with any certainty. They're suggesting that you had a subconscious thought of a possibility of what could have been wrong, and then it turned out that your lucky guess was right.

You said way back at the beginning that the thoughts you heard were almost always wrong (I think you said 98%). That once in a blue moon your intuition, misheard as a voice, was right is not at all surprising.
No. I said that 96% of the voices I heard told me no facts therefore I had to discount them as possible hallucinations. I also said 2% of my experiences told me I do hallucinate and that is why its so confusing. An example of a hallucination was I was concentrating on my work and did not notice it was lunch time. I looked up and everyone had gone to lunch but I could still hear the girls in the office talking. I walked to the office door and looked inside and the office was empty, and the voices stopped. So I know I can hallucinate.

But the remaining 2% of what I experienced contained facts I did not know, and that is evidence to me that not only was I paranoid but I was also being persecuted.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by Scorpion; 12th February 2017 at 12:22 PM.
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2017, 01:18 PM   #119
John Jones
Philosopher
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 9,922
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
No. I said that 96% of the voices I heard told me no facts therefore I had to discount them as possible hallucinations. I also said 2% of my experiences told me I do hallucinate and that is why its so confusing. An example of a hallucination was I was concentrating on my work and did not notice it was lunch time. I looked up and everyone had gone to lunch but I could still hear the girls in the office talking. I walked to the office door and looked inside and the office was empty, and the voices stopped. So I know I can hallucinate.

But the remaining 2% of what I experienced contained facts I did not know, and that is evidence to me that not only was I paranoid but I was also being persecuted.
All that sounds like what a previous poster described as an internal dialog you mistakenly attributed to external voices. I think that too.

Most of what you called telepathy is better described as people's normal reactions to your schizophrenic behavior, and your inability to differentiate between internal dialogues and external sources.
__________________
"Want to debate effectively in any format? Pay attention to your critics" -JayUtah
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th February 2017, 01:23 PM   #120
Scorpion
Muse
 
Scorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 519
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
All that sounds like what a previous poster described as an internal dialog you mistakenly attributed to external voices. I think that too.

Most of what you called telepathy is better described as people's normal reactions to your schizophrenic behavior, and your inability to differentiate between internal dialogues and external sources.
I maintain I could not have known the facts I was told about the equipment.
They were facts of a kind I could not have speculated on, and I was told one item was out of stock when I did not know this.
__________________
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.