ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy

Old 13th February 2017, 08:07 AM   #161
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I read some law books on employment law a few years ago, which is why I know it is an offence to abuse a mentally ill person and negligence is an offence if employers do not fulfill a duty of care. I will have to go to the library to find out if there is a statute of limitations on those offences.

I never said I was presenting any objective evidence, all I have is my own logic.
Then please don't waste your time trying to file a lawsuit. The statute of limitations has all but certainly passed, you have no evidence to support your claim, and it would likely fail on the merits anyway. A complaint of abuse resulting from harboring psychic agitators in collusion with the police would require some impressive evidence.

Talk with your doctor about all this, and be well.
Old 13th February 2017, 08:41 AM   #162
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I recall a snippet of conversation about me that came from the office and a girl said of me concerning the telepathy " I know it's happening, why doesn't he?" The psychic girl said,
" I was brought up to believe in it"
Are you sure the 'it' being discussed was telepathy?

But even if it was, so what? Lots of people are brought up to believe in all sorts of nonsense. The fact that these silly girls believed in telepathy does not mean that anyone was actually hearing your thoughts.
Old 13th February 2017, 09:01 AM   #163
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post

But even if it was, so what? Lots of people are brought up to believe in all sorts of nonsense. The fact that these silly girls believed in telepathy does not mean that anyone was actually hearing your thoughts.
I can't remember any more of the conversation, but I did think it was about the telepathic war that seemed to be going on.
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Even in the valley of the shadow of death two and two do not make six.
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 09:03 AM   #164
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

That's my point. She left the psychological war zone because she couldn't deal with it. Then she tried to pacify me by stating the other girls talked about me.

She will not want to talk to me, but if an official from the police complaints authority asks her about what happened she may tell the truth.
Sheesh. Office gossip is nothing new and certainly not exclusively yours or about you. You have claimed to be paranoid. That is a paranoid claim without any actual evidence. Furthermore, you have claimed that people were scared of you in your place of employ. Does it not occur to you that perhaps your behaviours were actually scary at the time 25 years ago IIRC?
Old 13th February 2017, 09:10 AM   #165
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I recall a snippet of conversation about me that came from the office and a girl said of me concerning the telepathy " I know it's happening, why doesn't he?" The psychic girl said,
" I was brought up to believe in it"
The whole office was colluding in supporting the psychic girl and not telling me anything.
I on my part was desperately struggling to get a handle on it, knowing full well that a symptom of schizophrenia is you think you are broadcasting your thoughts.
If you are aware that you were diagnosed at the time with schizophrenia, and you know that the idea that people reading your mind is a common symptom of schizophrenia, why on earth have you ignored the obvious conclusion?
Old 13th February 2017, 09:24 AM   #166
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Sheesh. Office gossip is nothing new and certainly not exclusively yours or about you. You have claimed to be paranoid. That is a paranoid claim without any actual evidence. Furthermore, you have claimed that people were scared of you in your place of employ. Does it not occur to you that perhaps your behaviours were actually scary at the time 25 years ago IIRC?
My thoughts were scary, because I was raging inside, and if I could have killed the office staff with mental daggers they would have been dead. But outwardly all I remember doing was sitting at my work bench working as hard as I could. Right up until my stress level went through the roof and I had heart pains several times a day and my hands were covered with nervous rashes, and what finally finished me was I could no longer concentrate on the job. All I could do was listen to the girls in the office taking the piss out of me.
When you can't concentrate you can't solve electronic problems so I finally had to get up and walk out. That was the only time I ever mentioned what was happening outwardly and I said "I know you have been using suggestion on me and there is nothing I can do but get out" The workshop manager said "Just go home".
You see many stars in the sky at night, but not when the sun rises. Can you therefore say there are no stars in the heavens during the day? O man because you cannot find God in the days of your ignorance, say not that there is no God.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Scorpion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 09:31 AM   #167
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
If you are aware that you were diagnosed at the time with schizophrenia, and you know that the idea that people reading your mind is a common symptom of schizophrenia, why on earth have you ignored the obvious conclusion?
Because logically I could not have known the five facts the girl told me, and that remains the basis of my certainty that some of it was telepathy. Besides, I was there. I experienced this for 18 months at the job, and in that amount of time they made mistakes. Some of which I have explained in previous posts.
I know the trainee manager told people to talk about me because he did it in my face once.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 13th February 2017, 09:50 AM   #168
Donn
Philosopher

Because logically I could not have known the five facts the girl told me, and that remains the basis of my certainty that some of it was telepathy. Besides, I was there. I experienced this for 18 months at the job, and in that amount of time they made mistakes. Some of which I have explained in previous posts.
I know the trainee manager told people to talk about me because he did it in my face once.
It is not logical. This entire thread has been an unraveling.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 09:50 AM   #169
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster

I really don't get this part- if you did not know the five facts, there was no telepathy involved. You were not broadcasting them, and therefore she could not read them. Why do you think this is evidence of telepathy?
Old 13th February 2017, 10:00 AM   #170
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MostlyDead View Post
I really don't get this part- if you did not know the five facts, there was no telepathy involved. You were not broadcasting them, and therefore she could not read them. Why do you think this is evidence of telepathy?
He seems to think that the office worker was invading his mind with her thoughts.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 10:04 AM   #171
Scorpion
Muse

I have already described the details of the five facts I was told. The office girl spoke about what I was doing and as far as I am concerned the only way she could have known what I was doing from one second to the next was she was reading my thoughts.

Never mind that, I have explained it enough already.

Tell me how a voice in my head could tell me I was going to win on the lottery an hour before I did win. I won five numbers which was just enough to buy my first internet ready computer. As far as I am concerned the spirit world helped me pick the numbers earlier in the week. I felt a presence when I picked the numbers. But they only gave me five because a big win would be more karmic. You cannot cheat the lottery using the occult without consequences.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 13th February 2017, 10:09 AM   #172
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
It is not logical. This entire thread has been an unraveling.
Man ! I have been holding it together since 1969 when I first started hearing voices in my ears. I am harder than a nail beaten into the doors of hell, and I am not going to unravel any time soon.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 13th February 2017, 10:12 AM   #173
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
He seems to think that the office worker was invading his mind with her thoughts.
Yes, but he says the five facts he did not know are the basis for his certainty that it was telepathic. The five facts are things he did not know, so at best irrelevant to mind-reading. I asked earlier about this, and he said it was the use of the phrase 'HE THINKS' that convinced him, but this is just a common expression.
Old 13th February 2017, 10:21 AM   #174
Donn
Philosopher

Man ! I have been holding it together since 1969 when I first started hearing voices in my ears. I am harder than a nail beaten into the doors of hell, and I am not going to unravel any time soon.
I think you are doing quite well, but the nature of your condition denies you the ability to assess yourself.

I don't see a way around this, other than to encourage you to speak with the handful of posters here who identify with similar mental diseases.

I don't like any tone of opprobrium towards you. I may be guilty of it myself for I am fallible. I only wish you the best — peace of mind and quality of life.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 10:22 AM   #175
Scorpion
Muse

Yes, but he says the five facts he did not know are the basis for his certainty that it was telepathic. The five facts are things he did not know, so at best irrelevant to mind-reading. I asked earlier about this, and he said it was the use of the phrase 'HE THINKS' that convinced him, but this is just a common expression.
Yea ! But 'HE THINKS' came moments after I was thinking exactly what she said I was thinking. This happened several times. I already said I checked for cameras and saw no surveillance anywhere.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 13th February 2017, 10:24 AM   #176
Donn
Philosopher

I don't think reasoning or logic have anything to do with this. A disability cannot become an ability through discourse. Not this time.
Old 13th February 2017, 10:31 AM   #177
Scorpion
Muse

ER ! you wouldn't be talking about me would you. Maybe I imagined it.

No ! I can read it in black and white. If only the psychic were that easy to see.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 13th February 2017, 10:39 AM   #178
MostlyDead
Graduate Poster

ER ! you wouldn't be talking about me would you. Maybe I imagined it.

No ! I can read it in black and white. If only the psychic were that easy to see.
An anecdote: I recall once having an HVAC tech servicing a heating unit in the basement of a house I was remodeling. I was already confident that the problem was a bad flame sensor. I went back up to a floor above him in the kitchen. A little later I heard thumping/banging on the outside of the house, and thought 'oh, he thinks the problem is a vent obstruction'. Do you see how this sounds remarkably similar to your experience, but evidences no telepathy at all?
Old 13th February 2017, 12:44 PM   #179
Bladesman87
Scholar

Oh ! come on. I had never encountered that part being broken before, and I certainly had no reason to think it was out of stock.

I still maintain that the girl told me two facts I did not know on that occasion, and two facts about a circuit board on another occasion. Then there is the time she told me what I though was a pressure switch was a vacuum switch. I had never encountered a vacuum switch and did not know they existed until her voice wafting through the open office door informed me of the fact.

That is five absolute facts I was told. That is how I know I was not just going mad.
It's a part that could break. Perfectly plausible that you were guessing at something unusual because either nothing obvious was broken or just because that's what wandering minds do.

Also entirely plausible is that you had at some point heard of a vacuum switch and simply don't remember learning of it.

Seems like you're honing in on the seemingly eerie things when you know full well that this is a very small number of hits from what must have been an uncountable number of misses. That's not as impressive as you think it is, even assuming that your, at the time, addled mind allows for proper recall here.
Bladesman87 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 01:01 PM   #180
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by Bladesman87 View Post
It's a part that could break. Perfectly plausible that you were guessing at something unusual because either nothing obvious was broken or just because that's what wandering minds do..
I remember exactly what happened because I may be a loony but I am not an idiot. I went to the shelf for incoming jobs and saw a new looking gas analyzer. It was about the size of a microwave oven and I picked it up thinking this will be an easy job. I took it to my desk and put it down, and at that exact moment the girls voice from the office said. "He thinks he can fix that easily but he can't because the inlet pipe is broken and they are out of stock". At that point I had not seen the back of the item so I tipped it forward and looked and sure enough the inlet pipe was broken. I realized she had told me something I did not know by telepathy and she also told me the part was out of stock, and I did not know that either. That's two absolutely accurate facts I was told and all you people can tell me that's not logical but I know it is.

Also entirely plausible is that you had at some point heard of a vacuum switch and simply don't remember learning of it..
Nope, I was perplexed why the switch did not work and I am certain I had never heard of a vacuum switch at that time.

Seems like you're honing in on the seemingly eerie things when you know full well that this is a very small number of hits from what must have been an uncountable number of misses. That's not as impressive as you think it is, even assuming that your, at the time, addled mind allows for proper recall here.
I remember these things because I was told facts, although I heard the girls prattling on about me a lot.

Facts, facts, facts. Not delusions.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 13th February 2017, 01:09 PM   #181
Donn
Philosopher

I remember exactly what happened because I may be a loony but I am not an idiot. I went to the shelf for incoming jobs and saw a new looking gas analyzer. It was about the size of a microwave oven and I picked it up thinking this will be an easy job. I took it to my desk and put it down, and at that exact moment the girls voice from the office said. "He thinks he can fix that easily but he can't because the inlet pipe is broken and they are out of stock".
Here's an idea.
1) For whatever reason, she knew about that analyzer before you touched it.
2) Seeing you take it, she expressed aloud that you would not be able to fix it because of her prior knowledge.

Where's the mystery?
Old 13th February 2017, 01:13 PM   #182
Scorpion
Muse

Here's an idea.
1) For whatever reason, she knew about that analyzer before you touched it.
2) Seeing you take it, she expressed aloud that you would not be able to fix it because of her prior knowledge.

Where's the mystery?
If she had not said "He thinks he can fix that easily" I might buy it.
She obviously had prior knowledge but as far as I recall she was not behind me, she was in the office out of sight.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 13th February 2017, 01:23 PM   #183
Donn
Philosopher

If she had not said "He thinks he can fix that easily" I might buy it.
She obviously had prior knowledge but as far as I recall she was not behind me, she was in the office out of sight.
1) What if she learned about the analyzer the day before? (Any time prior to your appearance.)
2) Is it impossible that she saw you take the analyzer? (A mirror, a line of sight you now forget, the sounds you made collecting it, etc?)
3) If you try to express what another person is doing, is it beyond all conception that you might use the phrase, "He thinks..."? Have you honestly never heard this used in English before?
Old 13th February 2017, 01:32 PM   #184
Scorpion
Muse

1) What if she learned about the analyzer the day before? (Any time prior to your appearance.)
2) Is it impossible that she saw you take the analyzer? (A mirror, a line of sight you now forget, the sounds you made collecting it, etc?)
3) If you try to express what another person is doing, is it beyond all conception that you might use the phrase, "He thinks..."? Have you honestly never heard this used in English before?
I still don't buy it because of all the other times I heard stuff being said about me. Its just I have forgotten nearly all the other things that were said because they did not tell me any facts that stood out in my mind.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 13th February 2017, 01:40 PM   #185
Scorpion
Muse

Here is something I remember seeming to hear a male office worker say. He said
"He can even take us taking the piss out of him using telepathy."

Another time one of the store men was in the office and the psychic girl said to him.
"That fat pig, he calls you" I had never said anything like that to him or to anyone else about him but I thought it.
He said "I will never let up on him now"

That is the context of what I experienced. Endless quotes about what I was thinking.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 13th February 2017, 01:51 PM   #186
Donn
Philosopher

I still don't buy it because of all the other times I heard stuff being said about me. Its just I have forgotten nearly all the other things that were said because they did not tell me any facts that stood out in my mind.
I understand that you have a fixed idea and you're keeping the defensive moat full.

If you could isolate the single story of the analyzer and probe its flaws, I have hopes you can drain the moat — at least in this corner of your keep.

My sense is that your coworkers had noticed you behaving strangely and they, in their ignorance and confusion, were doing what most people do: they were ostracizing you. This alienation ramped-up even as your disease got worse.

It was a bad cycle for all of you. I am glad you made it out, but it's probably time to make peace with the past. It's fled into time and will boon you no good to rail at it.
Old 13th February 2017, 02:00 PM   #187
Scorpion
Muse

I understand that you have a fixed idea and you're keeping the defensive moat full.

If you could isolate the single story of the analyzer and probe its flaws, I have hopes you can drain the moat — at least in this corner of your keep.

My sense is that your coworkers had noticed you behaving strangely and they, in their ignorance and confusion, were doing what most people do: they were ostracizing you. This alienation ramped-up even as your disease got worse.

It was a bad cycle for all of you. I am glad you made it out, but it's probably time to make peace with the past. It's fled into time and will boon you no good to rail at it.
Don't forget it began at the interview, I heard the office girls talking about me but I do not remember what they said. As far as I am concerned I was set up from day one and they had been told the best thing for me was to be driven to a breakdown so I would get mental treatment. So began an exhausting 18 month psychic and psychological war.
I was not the pussy the police took me for and I would not break down.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 13th February 2017, 02:11 PM   #188
Donn
Philosopher

Don't forget it began at the interview, I heard the office girls talking about me but I do not remember what they said. As far as I am concerned I was set up from day one and they had been told the best thing for me was to be driven to a breakdown so I would get mental treatment. So began an exhausting 18 month psychic and psychological war.
I was not the pussy the police took me for and I would not break down.
Don't forget the very real symptoms of your disease. Paranoia and darkly suspected machinations are the hallmark.

Here's a metaphor. I mean no disrespect, I am not normally-able either: you began the race with one leg and half a lung.

I don't know the lead-up to the interview, but your coworkers-to-be would quickly become aware of how different you were. Perhaps they thought you could still jog along on one good leg, but they started wary.

We thus have a two-fold situation:
1) You are becoming more unstable.
2) And, they are reacting negatively to that.

It was a candle burning at both ends. You were in a vice. Take it easy on yourself, and take a bow. You survived it and it's in the distant past.
Old 13th February 2017, 02:14 PM   #189
Scorpion
Muse

It may be the distant past but it still goes around my head every day. Actually this thread has been therapeutic for me as I am unloading stuff I have never told anyone.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 13th February 2017, 02:18 PM   #190
Donn
Philosopher

It may be the distant past but it still goes around my head every day. Actually this thread has been therapeutic for me as I am unloading stuff I have never told anyone.
I can well imagine. Courage!
Old 13th February 2017, 02:53 PM   #191
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

How would I know a vacuum switch existed when I had never worked on anything but pressure switches?
A vacuum switch is just a pressure switch pointing the other way.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 04:32 PM   #192
Bladesman87
Scholar

I remember exactly what happened because I may be a loony but I am not an idiot. I went to the shelf for incoming jobs and saw a new looking gas analyzer. It was about the size of a microwave oven and I picked it up thinking this will be an easy job. I took it to my desk and put it down, and at that exact moment the girls voice from the office said. "He thinks he can fix that easily but he can't because the inlet pipe is broken and they are out of stock". At that point I had not seen the back of the item so I tipped it forward and looked and sure enough the inlet pipe was broken. I realized she had told me something I did not know by telepathy and she also told me the part was out of stock, and I did not know that either. That's two absolutely accurate facts I was told and all you people can tell me that's not logical but I know it is.

Nope, I was perplexed why the switch did not work and I am certain I had never heard of a vacuum switch at that time.

I remember these things because I was told facts, although I heard the girls prattling on about me a lot.

Facts, facts, facts. Not delusions.
It's not that I think you're an idiot, loony, or even a liar, it's that memories are poor even when the person at the time was of sound mind and full awareness. That you're absolutely sure you remember it that way doesn't at all convince me that it necessarily must have been that way.

At this point there have been multiple possible explanations that don't involve a phenomenon never demonstrated to exist. That a person at the time suffering from severe schizophrenic symptoms experienced one thing out of all the many others that seemed too spooky to be false is not really a measure by which anyone, including yourself, should put any level of faith toward.
Bladesman87 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 05:08 PM   #193
trustbutverify
Philosopher

What do think the chances are that you might be wrong about these paranormal occurrences, considering the fact that the human nervous system is far from a perfect recorder of objective reality? 35%? 12%? 1%?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 05:26 PM   #194
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I see what you did there!
Good!!!! You were meant to!!! As was the poster!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 05:28 PM   #195
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post

I am pretty much certain there were two other consonants in front of it!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 08:48 PM   #196
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

You won 5 numbers in a lottery. how much is that worth? Seems that I won 4 numbers in a lottery that was worth about 2500, however, the ticket disappeared under mysterious circumstances, however, when I vacated my rental, my rent deposit was refunded with the owner saying that that was the first time ever that he gave someone their rent deposit back. Coincidence? I do think so!

Brant

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 13th February 2017 at 08:51 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2017, 11:06 PM   #197
philkensebben
Master Poster

Talk with your doctor about all this, and be well.
Cmon, just let it go and take the above advice.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 01:10 AM   #198
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

If I lifted a broken piece of kit off the shelf and the girl who was responsible for ordering spare parts remarked that I wouldn't be able to fix it because the part it needed was out of stock, I would leap to the conclusion that another of my colleagues had already looked at it and put it back on the shelf, awaiting spares.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2017, 08:29 AM   #199
Scorpion
Muse

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
What do think the chances are that you might be wrong about these paranormal occurrences, considering the fact that the human nervous system is far from a perfect recorder of objective reality? 35%? 12%? 1%?
I am 90% certain I am right about everything, leaving only a 10% chance I am mistaken.
Sri Ramakrishna
Leo Tolstoy
Old 14th February 2017, 11:26 AM   #200
fagin
Illuminator

Others may beg to differ.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal